“not 5 star”

Ranked #31 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“not 5 star”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

gabi club is always alone, they don´t have music at this place, the furniture there is very good, but there´s no one to sit on it. It´s like an abandoned side of the hotel, just a passage through the beach at best. If you improve this place at the hotel I´ll give you 4.25 stars.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mimsker
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen.

We regret if we did not impressed you with some of our services, your notes are very important for us, because your comments give us the opportunity to learn, know about your experience and improve our service. Your notes have been passed to the Food and Beverage department in order to verify the situation you mentioned.

We appreciate your observations, we truly hope to have the opportunity to host you again and change your first impression.

Quality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,519)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We just got back from our seven day vacation at this nice hotel. We were very impressed with the service and we would highly recommend it. The overall experience was great. Mireya Rangel was our concierge and she is the best. Excellent in what she does and a great human being. Always making sure we were having a great time. Mireya would work very long hours to make sure our experience was fantastic and for that we are very thankful. The kids Zone was another big plus among the many other things the hotel offers. Joana, Lucy and Clara were the best. Always making sure my kids were having fun. My kids loved it and it gave my husband and I the chance to spend time together knowing my kids were having a great time and were safe. Our first time in Mexico and obviously at Paradisus and it will certainly not going to be the last time. Thank you also to the manager for being so proactive and always involved. We loved the hotel and the people.

Room Tip: When they say Oceanview it is not necessarily ocean view. There are only a few rooms that are a true...
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for share your experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen with our future guests.

It is a pleasure for us read your first experience in Mexico was in our Resort, it is a real honor and we appreciate your confidence.

We are very happy to learn that the service provided from Mireya and from the girls from the Kids Zone (Joana, Lucy and Clara) was beyond and always looking your satisfaction or your kid’s safety and fun. Also we are glad to know you had the opportunity to enjoy our facilities and had a couple’s time, just for relaxing and enjoyed of paradise.

We will be waiting for you and your family to make you repeat the Paradisus Experience.

Nashville, TN
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My family (myself, wife, 8 yr old daughter) just returned yesterday from the Paradisus Esmeralda. We had a wonderful time and would highly recommend this resort. There are plenty of good reviews online regarding the Esmeralda, so I’m writing more for those folks that have either already booked or on the verge of booking.

Tips:
• Rooms – This may be one of those opportunities that you would want to pay to upgrade to a nicer room. We had a swim-out, luxury suite. Our 8-yr daughter loved being able to directly access the pool. With a swim-out suite you also guarantee yourself a pretty good view of the resort. If you book the basic room (luxury suite), you may have a view of the not so pretty mangrove area that surrounds the resort.
• Resort Entrance – Many visitors to Mexico and the Caribbean expect a fabulous entrance to a resort. You will not find this here. While the entrance isn’t bad, the resort is located in a residential section of Playa Del Carmen.
• Beach – The beach at the Paradisus is nice, but not a real WOW type of beach. However, if you walk north (to the left if you are facing the ocean), there is a public beach (very safe, not crowded) about 150 yds that is a true gem. There is a freshwater river that literally bubbles up from underground as it nears the ocean. If you enter the ocean were the river meets the sea, you can walk out about 75 – 100 yds and the water will still be mid-chest. The bottom is fine sand and the water is a beautiful turquoise.
• Beach / Pool Chairs – This may have just been the week we visited (week following 4th of July), but we did not have to play the horrible “get up early to reserve a chair” game. A couple of days we slept late and got to the beach about 10:00 and did not have any issue getting a chair. Again, could just be the week we stayed.
• Before You Go – On the Paradisus website, there is a “contact us” button. Send a note with any specifics that you may have. They sent us a questionnaire back that allowed us to specify certain things, including the restaurants that we wanted to eat. When we arrived, we had the room type (2 – double beds) that we wanted and our reservations were made for the week. No hassle what so ever.
• Food – Outstanding. However, take one night and go to 5th Ave in Playa Del Carmen and eat at one of the outdoor restaurants. The atmosphere is very enjoyable. 5th Ave is a real mix of cultures and simply beautiful. I also had the best meal of the week on 5th Ave.
• Kids – I would say that 90%+ of the folks on the Esmeralda side had children. I’ve seen some people write that they stayed as a couple on the Esmeralda side. I would not recommend this. If it were just my wife and I, we would have stayed on the La Perla side.
• TV – Not too many English channels. Worth loading up your I-pad with items for your kids to watch in the evenings.
• White Noise – Due to the nature of the construction (lots of stone / marble) of the resort, the rooms are quite loud. It is easy for some loud individuals to wake-up a whole row of rooms with their late night revelry. Download a “white noise” app to your phone. There is a nice Pioneer docking station (I-phone 4 type) that can be used to drown out surrounding noise and ensure a better nights sleep.

In summary, this is an awesome resort. We had absolutely no issues. The above items are meant to serve as “tips” to help you enjoy your stay. Don’t over think your trip. Book the Esmeralda and have a great time.

8 Thank RocVia
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, we appreciate all the different tips and suggestions for our future guests. Also we would like to thank you for choosing our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen for your past holidays.

It is a honor read that you and your family had a great time with us, we are happy to learn you enjoyed every part of our Resort, to know you enjoyed your Swim Up room, the beach area, to find that before you arrive you received the treatment you deserve by our Community Manager, is the person who sent you the pre –arrival form in order to know more about you and your family preferences and to read you enjoyed our culinary experience.

Also it is a pleasure to learn you had the opportunity to know Playa del Carmen, it is a beautiful town to walk and have a nice evening.

Thank you for your recommendation it is very important for us, we appreciate it. Will be an honor for us host you again in the near future to make you repeat the Paradisus Experience.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I can agree with ALL of the positive reviews- the service was the most personal we've ever received, the food was amazing and the accommodations were exquisite. I'll try not to be too repetitive here. Instead, I'll try and include tips that were either suggested to me or things I wish someone had shared with me. We traveled as a family, with kids ages 4 and 8.

FAM.CON:
We booked a package online through a travel website and chose the One bedroom Master suite. The Family Concierge (FC) was not available with the one bedroom. I was prepared to upgrade at check in, but it was not offered to us, so I just saved some $$ I suppose. Someone suggested to me that, next time, just book the F.C junior suite, and upgrade to the One Bedroom at check in. We had an excellent stay without the family concierge and didn't feel like we missed out on much, except for the space at the pool, which I'll address in the POOL section below. My kids did not get their own slippers and bedtime snack, or bedtime bubble bath. No one carried our towels to the beach. Somehow, we survived. I'm totally kidding here. We were very pampered without the F.C. :)

A-LA-CART Restaurants.
I emailed the hotel one week before are arrival to request that our dinner reservations be made before our arrival. I received a prompt response, with dinner booked for every night, with one dinner booked at FUEGO, the adults only restaurant. I was surprised that we were allowed to bring the kids to the BANA restaurants, both on the LA PERLA side. I think they allow kids before 8pm. We arrived late on the first night and missed our reservation, and they were very attentive when we requested one minor change. Now that I've experienced the reservation process, I understand WHY they have them. They limit their seatings so that they can provide the most attentive service possible. It seemed we had a waiter (to ourselves) every time, and they were eager to fill every one of our requests, big or small. Also, every restaurant has a kids menu.

2013 $550/$1000 credit,
After we checked in we realized we didn't receive the 2013 credits. We had to request the coupon booklet . I think it's under lock and key because when we arrived on Saturday night, we were told that the department in charge of them was closed for the night. The room credit was useless, because it had to be used within 24 hours of check in, and by the time we received it, we were already unpacked and happy with our room. Besides, the room upgrade credit of $300 would not have covered much. The $50 spa credits didn't go far either because it could only be used for one treatment, and all spa services include and added 20% service fee. (I'll post a price list). The $20 and $50 alcohol credits were VERY useful. We used them to order champange/premium tequila/wines. Use those! Some bartenders are not familiar with them, but will never decline them. We didn't use the $150 Passion Restaurant credit because we just ran out of time, and dinner at Passion is $100 per person. IF the regular restaurants were extraordinary, I imagine Passion is stellar!

Evening Entertainment.
We saw 5 out of 7 shows and they were all great. I would only change the locations and times. 9:30 was a bit late for us, and we tend to be early birds too. The shows were held at either the Gabi Club or the North bar. Both were outdoors and the seating never seemed to be enough. They have a perfectly good indoor theater and I've wondered why they just don't use that for the shows.

NON SMOKING
THANK YOU, Esmeralda for limiting the smoking sections. They have a PURE AIR policy which is greatly appreciated by those who are not fans of cancer. Gracias.

Kid Zone
Now open from 9am to 10pm. My kids loved it even when they just went after dinner, to kill time until the evening shows. I'll post a sample of last week's schedule. Kids 1 to 4 years old stay in the Kid Zone at all times, but kids ages 5 and up are taken outside the zone to do activities outside, such as rock climbing. The first time kids are left, parents must sign a permission slip. Any other time, parents just log them in and out. Lunch and dinner is also served there, which is very convenient. The staff also supervises jumpy houses near the lobby, even though it's not part of the Kid Zone. Parents stay with kids there. They serve cotton candy, snow cones and popcorn - they know how to keep kiddos happy!

Parking
We had a rental and were pleasantly surprised to have free valet service. We just tipped them every time. After all, the valet/bell were extremely generous in offering directions and water bottles to go, without expecting anything in return. On a side note, if you are driving from the airport, don't follow google maps. From 307, U turn at 106 street and just follow the blue signs to Paradisus--its a red brick road. It's that simple.

Tips
They were never expected, but always appreciated. We tipped every time, as the service was excellent almost 100% of the time. Even when we had a waiter that maybe was less than perfect, we tipped anyway. Everyone has an off day. Bring enough change - plan accordingly.

POOL/BALI beds
The bali beds (in the NON FC) area are in high demand and people "reserve" them by placing their stuff on them before 7am, to take ownership of them, even if they don't show up to the pool until after 9am. So selfish! The policy for the bali beds is that if they are not in use for 30 minutes, their belongings will be removed. The Pool Concierge does his absolute best he can, but people will be furious with him if he enforces this rule or doesn't enforse the rule. He just can't win and it's impossible for him to keep everyone happy. He told me that there have been fist fights over this. It's a hot topic. Other than that, the main pools in the Esmeralda side are very enjoyable. In July, they were not cold, as Spring reviewers noted.

Guest Services
Last but not least, are the employees at the Guest Services desks. Their job is to schedule your appointment to listen to the 90 minute info session for CLUB Melia. They are super friendly and great at greeting everyone. They will also offer you "promotions" or rewards for your time. We bought into it, only time will tell if it is worth the investment. If you are a member, I'd love your feedback - message me. The only inconsistency here is that the person at the desk promised us something that was inconsistent with what they could actually offer us. After a series of miscommunications between Guest Services, Club Melia desk personnel, and the Spa receptionist, we ended up with a great deal on a massage. Their miscommunications worked in our favor in the end, really wanted to please us. I just think they need to communicate better among themselves. It may or may not have been intentional. They need a clear list of "rewards" for guests, as this is their vacation time, and every hour counts. SO, with that said, if they promise something, make sure they follow through.

Send me a message if you have any questions. There is so much to say, but again, I don't want to be too repetitive!

Room Tip: Building BB was great and close to everything. It was only loud on 7/12 when there was a private par...
20 Thank EveryMinuteCounts
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you took in sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to read that you had an excellent experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen, also it is a pleasure learn you and your family was pampered during all your stay, we are happy to know you enjoyed our facilities, our dining options in both properties, to know you enjoyed the evening entertainment, the kids club area and to know the service provided from our staff was the service you deserve.

Our guest’s comments are very important for us because we can learn, know about your experience and if is necessary improve our process, your notes have been passed to the departments involved in order to work on it and provide a better experience.

Once again thank you very much for your review and for the tips to our future guests, please if you decide to return to Playa del Carmen, will be an honor for us host you again.

St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I did not intend for this review to be so long, but it just happened that way. So I’ll summarize first, then go into more detail. The hotel reminds me of a W, Aria or The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas, but it’s an all-inclusive beach resort for families. The 1 bedroom swim up is the way to go. If you only make 1 dinner reservation, make it for Bana Teppanyaki. It’s a blast! Awesome pool. Decent Beach. Endless supply of good drinks. Great service. I had some pretty high expectations and I was able to relax, unwind and have a great time with my family. I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we did.

We stayed at La Esmeralda July 8-13. Upon arrival we were introduced to our personal concierge, Perla, who greeted our family and told us all about the hotel and its activities, restaurants and shows. One of our bags did not arrive with us and Perla took care of calling the local airline rep and ensuring the bag’s arrival to the hotel. We don’t speak much Spanish, so it was it was great to have Perla take care of the baggage issues and confirmation of activities I previously booked online. She did a wonderful job.

While we traveled with our two children, ages 7 and 10, we opted NOT to go with the family concierge and instead booked a 1 bedroom swim up suite. Room 2040 was the greatest room we’ve ever stayed in while in Mexico. The swim up is totally the way to go for a few reasons: (1)We did not have to “save” a chair by the pool. No fighting for space or waking up early to worry about a spot. Our spot was right outside the room. (2) It was so convenient for me to wake up and get right in the pool while the rest of my family slept in. (3) The kids could use the bathroom right in our room. Plus the room was in daytime sun until about 4PM and a main floor room means no stairs or elevators while getting around at this big resort. The kids really loved the swim up and could swim across the pool to the pirate ship or the floating gym. We could swim to the bar or have a waiter take an order. Our mini-bar was always full while room and pool towels were always clean and dry. One day we didn’t even leave the room and ordered room service for breakfast and lunch while swimming in front of the room.

For meals we ate at Naos (the buffet) for breakfast, the Sunrise Grill for lunch and we had reservations for a different family restaurant nightly. Naos had great quality food for a buffet. Not only did it have all of the food you’re accustomed to from a resort buffet like smoothie bar and eggs made to order, but there were many Mexican dishes and even specialty pastries! We only ate at the buffet for breakfast. Alejandro did such a good job taking care of us there each morning. After we were there a few days, he even told us about a public beach in Akumal where a family of sea turtles lives and told us to visit. Alejandro always had our drinks ready for us right after we sat down and had jokes and stories to tell in the morning. He was awesome. Great service from him at the Buffet. Our favorite dinners were at Bana (both Fusion and Teppanyaki) and Vento. If you are going to have 1 reservation meal, you MUST eat at the Bana Teppanyaki! It was a blast and the kids loved it. Totally loved it! All the room service we got was great too. The ice cream is outrageous-especially the coconut!

We split most days between the pool and beach. The beach is fair. The white sand up to the water is great, but you’ve got to find the good parts in the water. The best part we found was between the beach bar and the family concierge. It was the least rocky and weedy. My daughter and I took a kayak out one day. It was really fun and there was no wait for it. Now, if you’re really into beaches, pack a bag and leave the resort to go north ten minutes by cab to Maroma Beach. Talk about a beach.

Our children only visited the kids’ club twice because they wanted to do some specific activities. So while they were jumping on a bungie trampoline, rock climbing and cookie making, my wife and I hung out at the North Bar and smoked a Cuban and drank a mojitos. This was a family vacation, so our intent was to spend most of our time together at the resort and we did. The kids enjoyed the Michael Jackson show and bands at the Gabi Club. The decor, grounds, entertainment, service and attention to detail all made it a family vacation to remember.

Your vacation is what you make of it. So if you want to nitpick, point out tiny flaws and complain about no 24-hour nachos, you deserve a mediocre time. But if you want to sit back, relax, drink and sun soak in paradise without a worry, you’ll be smiling and laughing all day long at La Esmeralda. FREAKING. TOP. NOTCH.

Room Tip: Book a swim up room if your kids are swimmers and you'd like immediate pool access. Our family o...
11 Thank deadmeatAD
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen for your family holidays.

We are very happy to read you had a wonderful time in our Resort, it is an honor know our service was first class as your deserve. Also, we are glad to learn you enjoyed your Swim up Room and all the advantages of it, we are happy to learn you enjoyed our facilities, our dining options and to read you had a couple’s time, while your little ones enjoyed the kid’s zone.

Alejandro will know about your mention, thank you for recognize his work, all our team has the strong commitment to provide a quality and an excellent service, always looking for the total satisfaction of our guests.

Will be a truly honor host you again and make you repeat this unique experience here, in Paradise.

queens, ny
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I am currently going through withdrawal as I write this review. My husband and I stayed with our five year old in a swim up suite for five days and loved every minute of it. The resort has been open no more than two years and everything is brand new. The rooms are very well set up with a flat screen tv, DVD player, jacuzzi and large shower. The mini fridge contains two kinds of beer as well as juices, cookies, and chips. It was replenished everyday when housekeeping came to clean our room.
The hotel grounds are spotless and you can always see someone cleaning and making sure everything is in place. Prior to this my husband and I had stayed at 4 adults only resorts in PDC/Cancun and I was very hesitant about staying at a family resort because I thought there was going to be an overwhelming amount of children running wild. Lol! Boy was I wrong. Although there were many families with small children there were so many activities to keep the children busy that they were always entertained. Kudos to the ladies from the kids club. They did an amazing job setting up different themes and events for the children that they all loved going. I had never left my son at a kids club before and was very hesitant at first, however, he quickly made friends and asked me to go everyday. The kiddie pool is also a great feature. It's only about 3 feet deep and has a big pirate ship with a variety of slides. During the evening they would set up 3 bouncy houses outside by the pool and in an air conditioned room giving the children a way to burn off some energy after dinner.
I highly recommend the swim out suite if you have children that can swim. Our son loved it and would sit out in the water playing with his toys for countless hours. We stayed in room 2082 which was a perfect location for us. It was on the quieter side, got plenty of afternoon sun and was close enough to everything.
Now the only reason why I wouldn't give this resort five stars yet is because of the dinner reservations that are set up by your guest services representative. Our representative asked us where we wanted to go and at what time. The first night there we ate at the buffet and were going to visit the a la carte restaurants every other evening. Well the second evening when I called to confirm our reservations they had us down for something totally different from what our representative had informed us of. This was very disappointing as we has already missed the reservation they had us down for and couldn't even eat at the one we thought we were going to. After that we were completely turned off by their reservation system and ate at Naos (buffet) every night except for the last one. Naos has a great variety of food during all meals. The breakfast buffet contained fruits, cheeses , breads, pancakes, french toast, waffles, an omelette and smoothie bar as well as all kinds of cereal if that's what you prefer. Since my husband tends to sleep in late my son and I would have breakfast together everyday and the service was wonderful. By the second day the waiters already knew my sons name and what we liked to drink, the lunch and dinner buffets were just as good with something for everybody.
We usually never return to the same hotel twice but I would definitely consider staying here again as the service was great and we all had a wonderful time. Hopefully their reservation system will be better by next year. Feel free to Pm me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: Definitely get a swim out suite! It worth the extra money!
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review on Trip Advisor, also we would like to thank you for share your recent experience with our future guests.

It is an honor for us read you had a wonderful time in our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen, we are glad to learn you enjoyed our facilities, your well-equipped room, to know your son enjoyed and had a great time in the kids zone and to know the service provided from our staff was always friendly and worry about you and your family needs.

Our guest’s observations are vital for us, because thank to your notes we can learn and improve our service, your comments about the restaurants reservations have been passed to the departments involved in order to verify our process, and if is necessary make some adjustments.

Will be an honor for us, host you again next year and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the La Esmeralda from June 30 until July 7, we were a part of a family of 10 people and had 4 rooms (3117 ours, 3116, 3118 and 3101).
When we got there we were whisked away in golf carts to the the family concierge area to check- in. This was a pleasant surprise as we got upgraded without even asking, emailing or calling ahead. We have stayed twice at the older Paradisus which is the Now Saphire currently so had an idea of the great level if service to expect from a Paradisus property. However, this property exceeds the older one numerous times.
The family concierge surprisingly, was the way to go for us but, speaking with others at the resort the normal area is excellent as well.

Check-in: no issues very helpful and friendly team to take care of our every need. We had Virginia as our concierge, who was amazing and took care of our every need throughout the week.

Rooms: Very clean spacious and contemporary, they even placed a crib in our room which we had forgotten to ask for.

Pools and Beach:
The family concierge pool is a nice quiet area to chill out, the kids pool is a great touch to keep the little ones entertained on the pirate ship and slides.
The beach area was excellent, although there is a separate family concierge area which we used we did not see others having issues finding a spot on the beach as we knew the hotel was at capacity. Yes there is a walk to the beach but never a concern with us and our 2 kids (1 and 4 yr old). The beach is not small at all it's one the best beaches we've seen, so not too sure what people are referring to.

Food:
Buffet was excellent for all meals, we liked the family concierge only Hydro Grill for our lunches. We had the ability to eat at an ala carte restaurant each night being in Family concierge. The food at these restaurants is amazing, their themes are inspired by executive chefs so it's truly a 5 star experience. Our favourite was Vento. All our reservations were handled by our Family Concierge Virginia.

Staff and Resort Overall:
We have travelled quite a bit to all inclusives all over the Caribbean. This resort is magical, not one staff member that was not friendly or not willing to help, the resort is big and open so it does not feel crowded even though they were at capacity. We would definitely book family concierge again, it's just a nice touch. If you have kids and looking for a trouble free spot book here as I can't think of a better resort.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ruddiger77
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa del Carmen for your past vacations.

It is an honor for us read we exceed your expectations during your stay in our Resort, we are very happy to learn you and your family enjoyed our exclusive Family Concierge area and all the benefits; also we are happy to know you enjoyed your room, the pool area, the beach area, to read you enjoyed our culinary experience and to learn that the service provided for our staff was friendly and helpful every time, the kind of service you deserve.

Virginia will know about your recognition, thank you for mention her work. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests; is a pleasure read that we accomplished that goal with you during your stay with us.

Will be an honor for us host you and your family in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!