We just returned from a fantastic week at the Paradisius Esmeralda and its a fantastic, relaxing, luxurious place for families to go on vacation.I’d give it 4.5 stars out of 5 0 — here’s my breakdown —
Atmosphere/Main Area. Lovely. You enter past reception into a beautiful water-lined courtyard open to the elements. Its the center area, tied to the restaurants, concierges, and room area. Well designed, very feng shui. The hotel is less than 3 years old and everything is quite modern and not done on the cheap.
Rooms. Wide variety of rooms, we chose a 1 bedroom master suite for 2 adults and 2 small kids. It was the perfect size, as we had our own bedroom and they shared a large pull out couch. Both rooms had flat screens, though we did not watch much. The bed was among the best hotel/resort beds I have ever slept in. Marble floors are nice and the large kitchenette area was really useful for when we wanted to get (24 hour) room service. The bathroom was awesome — soaking tub in 1 room, double ceiling mounted rain showers in the other. Wow. Everything was very clean and the cleaning service each day was great.
Service. Again 5 stars. Everyone is incredibly nice and helpful, no matter the request. We had some minor issues, that Oliver the service manager and Zulma helped address. They also made reservations for dinner (and golf) for us — the concierges are just great.
Pool & Beaches. The pools are really impressive. Main kids pool has a giant floating obstacle course (Wibit) along with a smaller kiddie pool with a pirate ship and slides. We spent half our time our here. Tons of comfy pool chairs and a lot of cabana (go early to reserve a cabana). Pools are chilly in winter though, to be honest. Though the family concierge (another) pool is heated and also great. Swim up bars were lovely and the liquor is top shelf. The beach does not live up to the pools. Its a short walk away, but very shallow and somewhat rough, not ideal for swimming for little kids. Not awful by any means but its also just not that great (nothing they can do here, though the drink/food service on beach was great, and lots of beach chairs to relax in).
Food. Surprisingly good for an all inclusive. The breakfast buffet is great, and we tried the Asian and Brazilian restaurants, which we all really enjoyed. Lunches were by the pool areas, and the burgers/chicken/salads were all good — no complaints at all. We really were not expecting this to be as good as it was. There are lots of places to choose from as the hotel shares some of the central area with its adults only sister property (la perla).
Activities. There are lots of activities on site if you want. Kayaking, snorkeling, and tons of off-site activities, which are easy to book, with no pressure (though the repeated requests to hear pitches for Club Melia are irritating). There are also tons of shows at night, and we checked out a few early ones which were also better than I expected. Though the pole dancing class by the kids pool was… a curious choice by the hotel. Also, the shows at 9:30 and 10 in the main atrium/North Ave Bar can be very loud — and thats fine, unless your room is facing that area. If you have little kids, I strongly recommend you ask for a room that is not facing the North Ave bar directly.
Kids Club. Totally fine. Good activities for 5-10 year olds, and an ‘ok’ secure area for 1-4 year olds (meaning a lot of tv in there). But — its safe and they are well taken care of. No concerns here.
Location. Just north of PDC, which was great. No hustle/bustle, 30 min from the Cancun airport, and 15 min to XCaret and Xplor, 10 min to PDC if you want to shop.
Overall, we had a great experience. You can do nothing and chill or be really active there. Its very relaxing and they cater to the vacationers. We would definitely go back and its perfect for families with kids under 10.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the beach and surrounded by mangrove trees, Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda is an all-inclusive four Diamond resort with its promise of all-inclusive fun and LUXExclusive experience designed with the entire family. All suites feature a private balcony or terrace and include air conditioning with climate control, free Wi-Fi, 24-hour room Service, cable TV service, Minibar, in-room safe, complimentary toiletries, bathrobes, living area with sofa and a coffee maker. Services for relaxation and pampering include a YHI Spa, a hair salon ($), Wedding services, tours/ticket assistance and a business center. World-class facilities including Family Concierge ($), Fitness, YHI Kids, Kids Zone, Kids Club, Baby Club, Game Room, Life enriching experience, Kids Pool. The resort offers 14 restaurants to choose from which are open daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Melia, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Travelbag and Odigeo so you can book your Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Mexico/Riviera Maya