“Solid option for families”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #34 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
so cal
“Solid option for families”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our family (with 2 kids) just returned after a 7 day stay. We travel to all-inclusive resorts every summer, and in the past mostly stayed at Dreams resorts. Since both Paradisus and Dreams are in the same price range, I'll add some points based on our prior experience at Dreams.

Overall, Paradisus is very nice, all as mentioned in 2000 prior reviews. Resort is clean, modern, restaurants have great design, excellent food and good ambiance, service is very friendly. Alcohol selection is reasonably good for an all inclusive (you can get stuff that costs about $20 / bottle in the US but also had some tequilas that were about $30 / bottle). However, below are some of the things that, if changed, could make this resort great (not merely good):

- Restaurant reservations were hard to get. It could be done on purpose to make people to upgrade to Family Concierge, as the restaurants did not look that full. Whatever it was, it was an annoyance. Dreams' system of no reservations (you get a pager if the restaurant is full) was much better.
- Activities were not as well designed / run as at Dreams. Dreams had more activities for kids and adults and there seemed to be more focus on them. The resort would do well to add some tournaments and games.
- Since the resort focuses on kids, would be nice to add a bigger water slide for older kids. The pirate ship is too small for kids over 5-6 y.o.
- Nightly shows were fun, but were held in a crowded area with not enough seats for everyone. It would be better to move the portable stage to a different location with more space and chairs.

Everything else was very good and it would be one of our top choices among Riviera Maya resorts.

4 Thank aleraSoCal
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First, thank you for taking the time to share your Paradisus experience, and for letting us know your opinion about some aspects that you liked and some others that you suggest we have to improve. You may feel assured that we took good notes from your particular observations, in order to provide all of you unforgettable experiences.

On the other part, we feel satisfied that you enjoyed our modern facilities, our unique LUXEclusive plan with excellent food and beverage in all our specialty restaurants and bars without excluding the friendly customer service.

Thank you again for your value review and for visiting us and we hope to have the privilege to host you once again in a near future!

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at La Esmeralda from June 22-27 with two friends and their families. We all reserved the Family Consierge section of our stay and was glad we did. In comparison to other hotels in the area this one is smaller than others I've been to, and it was nice that we had use of the family pool in the consierge section becuase the other two pools were a bit small.
Service was very good and I was impressed with the quality of food at the restaurants (the buffet was ok). Once we got housekeeping onto the right schedule for servicing our room, I can say we always came back to an immaculate room.
The days we were there (can't speak to the weekends) the vibe around all sorts of the hotel was very calm and spa like. This was nicer than some of the music blasting environements I have been to in the area before. It would have been nice to hear a little more upbeat music during the day but not a huge complaint.
The one thing about this hotel that I knew of in advance but really bothered me was there is zero views of the beach. We had an oceanfront room (on the 2nd floor) and still could not see the ocean). I understand this is due to naturally protected mangrove lands, and I completely respect that, but it is a reason why I would not return here).
In addition, all the adults on our trip got sick. Most of us started reacting towards the end of the week, however one person in our party was sick the entire vacation. I've never experienced this in Mexico before and didn't expect any issues at a hotel of this quality. It really ended the week on a sour note for us unfortunately.

1 Thank LPaige12
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda-Family Concierge.

We appreciate all guest feedback, so we certainly value yours, that is why we want to mention there are many factors that can cause people get sick. During summer season the weather’s heat increases and that causes more illness possibilities in all the country. Many guests do not wash their hands, drink a lot of alcohol, take tours where they eat in unsafe places, drink sea water accidentally, etc. Or even they are not used to our delicious Mexican food, for example if it is spicy .Those causes are difficult to corroborate and is normal to think that is the food someone ate.

Therefore we are proud by informing you that we have a food and healthy certification which proofs our commitment with our client’s safety. We have a program based on HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) which minimize risks during all meals preparation processes and all those processes are constantly audited.

Nevertheless, you can be assured that we are acting in consequence by reinforcing our processes audits and supervising them.

Please accept our apology for the last days of your stay. It would be fantastic for us if you could give us another opportunity to host you in the future, just think in all the fantastic attributes you were enjoying with your family and friends.

Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We visited June 15-21. We were family concierge, which was well worth the money even though my kids are 11 and 8. Check in was easy with gifts for the kids and beer for my husband and me. We asked for an upgrade to a 1 bedroom swim out. You can negotiate the price. It was money well spent. The room itself was huge. The bathroom had 3 sinks, which made getting showered and dressed for dinner very easy. The bed is comfortable and the pull out couch was king sized. My kids loved being able to jump into the water before breakfast. Manoalo was our concierge, and he is fantastic. He made our dinner reservations, brought extra snack for my kids and even exchanged the the shirts that came as a welcome gift for bigger sizes. He checked in on us every day.
The food is good with Bana and Fuego being our favorites. My kids loved room service. Breakfast is a little boring, but the pastries were amazing. The coffee is really strong, which I love. My kids loved the snacks at the concierge lounge especially the Mexican candies. They also loved the swim up bars (they got cokes and smoothies). The drinks are tasty. You can ask for a double if you feel the drink is too weak or have a floater of alcohol on top. I especially recommend the frozen mojitos. We also loved the ceviche at the pool. You will not go hungry.
The beach is nice. There are some rocks, but Playa has a rocky coastline. If you walk a little past the lifeguard station down the beach, there is a natural spring where the locals hang out. It was fun to walk down there, and my kids kept asking to go to the spring. There are also jet skis and kayaks for rent. The family concierge area is wonderful. All clam shell loungers with umbrellas for even more shade. The beach is a bit of a walk, but there is no need to bring anything, not even sunscreen as everything is there for you. We saw very little chair hoggery, but the resort was not yet in peak season.
The best part of the trip was the service (and the very cute Zumba instructor). Everyone, and I mean everyone, was helpful and friendly. Not once did anyone say it was not their job, or they could not help me. Our room was always clean. Our maid even straightened my shoes and folded any clothes on the floor. The waiters are great especially Adrian at the Hydro Grill. I know the manager cares because everything negative I have read has been addressed: no more Disney music, beach is swept for seaweed, drinks were strong.
The resort is about a $10.00 cab ride to town. If you like to bargain, you will love shopping in Playa. Sellers will come up to you and say they were your waiters at the hotel. It is a scam; they recognize the bracelets. You can get a very nice silver bracelet for about $25.00 if you know how to bargain. Playa is safe, venture out of the hotel and beyond 5th Ave.
If I had to find one thing wrong, it would be the floors. Everyone in my family either fell or almost fell because they are so slippery, both in the room and the walkways. Just be careful and keep the kids from running. Also, the ATM's at the hotel charge an outrageous fee, not the hotel's fault, just a warning.
We met several people who were on their second and third time at the Paradisus. We hope to be one of those families next summer.

Room Tip: Swim out rooms close to the parking lot are quieter and more private.
2 Thank Suzanne N
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for posting a detailed review from your last stay at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda. We are sure your experience will inspire another tourist to visit us, wiling to have the same feeling form our property.

It is an honor for us to know that you and your kids have enjoyed all the benefits, services, and special amenities of our exclusive Family Concierge Area; as well as our LUXEclusive plan, comfort in your swim up suite, great food and tasty drinks, fun activities and friendly staff, special mention to Adrian and the Zumba instructor, who will be delighted to hear that they contributed to your stay.

We hope this is the first of many more times we will have the pleasure to host you at the Riviera Maya.

Denver
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We visited from June 8th - 18th having visited the same time last year (see last years review for more information).

We booked the family concierge option again, even though our kids are older, this service is worth it. We were handed a cell phone at check in and could get hold of our personal concierge, Israel, at all times. He really took great care of us again! When he was off, Olga took care of us and was as wonderful as always! Any of the family concierges will take care of you.
With the family concierge option you get that extra special treatment - dinner reservations made and changed for you without issue, bathrobes and toiletries for everyone, sunscreen for the kids (no buying at the gift shop), cookies and milk, champagne in your room, bubble baths etc., etc. and the private FC pool with it's own incredible staff and service. Jeronimo, Adrian, Danura, Monserrat and Israel really know how to take care of their guests. The seafood and flank steak platter that they put together for us was amazing!

The food was incredible again! Even though the kids menu looks limited, if we asked for something else, it was always possible. On more than one occasion they went to another restaurant to get something for us. They were very accommodating! Just asking "is it possible..."

We used the room upgrade coupon and got a one bedroom suite this time and it was nice to spread out. Everything was moved for us - even the Nespresso coffee machine. We still had use of all the FC services.

We really love this hotel - it's hard to leave - and it's a really vacation for us parents as well as the kids.

I still wish the evening shows were a little earlier but that's probably our only negative. We will probably return....

Room Tip: Some rooms have an ocean view but these are limited. If this is important to you make sure you pay...
7 Thank watsy
Dear guest,

We are so happy to know that you and your family had a pleasant second stay with us.

As you mentioned, some of the benefits our Family Concierge guests have are: access to a swimming pool reserved for them, having some snacks at Hydro Grill, Jacuzzi at your room terrace, butler assistance and amenities for our youngest visitors, among others. Thank you for taking advantage of them and appreciated the extra value reflected on the queen and king feeling you have gotten.

Likewise, your comments made us even prouder of our staff, we recognize those who put everything to their day to day, we highly appreciate the love, care and dedication shown to their work; this is what makes us different and what makes possible to exceed our guests expectations. We will surely congratulate Israel, Olga, Jeronimo, Adrian, Danura and Monserrat in your behalf.

We appreciate your loyalty to our Paradisus brand and hopefully for us, you will come back to Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda the following year.

Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I coordinated a trip for 32 people to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda earlier this year, and had a wonderful experience. I work for a mortgage banker, so the attendees spanned from spouses of our top producers, top producers themselves, to the President of our parent company. Basically, all people who are used to the finer things in life.

As my first time ever coordinating an event and trip of this magnitude, it was a lot of pressure to get the logistics right, keep everything on budget, AND meet the expectations of every person making the trip. (Not to mention the trip coordination reins were changed over to me within a month of departure.) All that said, I was stressed! Then, I was introduced to Jesabel...

Jesabel was GREAT! I'm super detail-oriented and have a hard time finding people that match my drive for perfection, but Jesabel did! On top of her having clients on site, she made time each and every day to respond to my emails and we had regular morning calls to match sure everything was on track and moving along as we expected. She asked great questions and had lots of great ideas on how to make the trip more appealing to each person - especially our VIPs. She had me find out each of their favorite drinks down to the garnish and had that ready for them at each of our scheduled events. They loved it! Her smile is infectious, and she was present at each event and eager to please any request made. She even upgraded my room to a swim-up suite upon arrival so that I could enjoy a little of the water, but stay close enough to the phone for my guests to reach me. It was a very sweet gesture and definitely allowed for some much needed moments of relaxation.

In addition to Jesabel, the whole Paradisus team was beyond helpful. Even the General Manager, who I met on a walk of the resort, was super friendly and genuinely interested to know how our trip was going.

My first day at the resort, we had a planning meeting before any guests arrived. This meeting was held in a nice board room type setting, was very professional, and included all heads of each department at the resort. I'm not sure what I had expected, but this far surpassed it! Each person stood as I entered, sat after I sat, then introduced themselves one by one and told me how they would be assisting my group during our stay. They all took the time to ask me specific questions and for me ask them some as well. It was so very helpful and was nice to actually meet the behind-the-scenes folks that make it all possible.

Upon arrival, my group was met with cocktails - VIPs receiving their favorites - and their room info. Check in was easy and each was then escorted to their rooms, which was a great help for those that are a little directionally challenged. The Guest Services center provided all the information needed to get around the resort and made the dinner and spa reservation process easy. (By the way, I had more than one of the wives tell me the massage they received was best they'd had. So make a reservation. You can even do so before you arrive.)

The night of guests' arrival we had an informal cocktail hour by a quieter section of the pool. We had a private bar and appetizers served throughout. Guests loved it, and the weather was perfect. The following night we had an awards banquet that included a buffet and open bar. The food was ready upon arrival and was refreshed throughout the evening. Everyone's dietary restrictions were accounted for and alternative arrangements were made. The staff was friendly, professional, and on their toes the entire time. Everything went off without a hitch! The guy running the music even gave each award winner a walk-up song. It was a great touch and this fun-loving group was very appreciative! The onsite lighting tech did a great job on setting up the lights (a last minute request) in the room. It gave it almost a jazz hall feel – very cool.

The rest of the trip was an open agenda adventure. Some guest went the spa route; others played golf at the nearby golf course. I was able to reserve spots for those that knew what they wanted to do a few weeks prior to our arrival, which is great in the busy season. For those that didn't, Guest Services and onsite adventure coordinators helped each guest find what they wanted and made sure they all got there and back safely. We even had some folks that walked down the beach to the nearby town for some shopping, and some that taxied in for morning coffee. All said it was worth the trip.

If going off the grounds isn’t for you, don't worry! There are many different activities offered throughout the day. Yoga, exercise classes, beach activities, and cigar making classes were just a few that we took advantage of! There are also numerous restaurants to keep you full and hydrated during your stay. I, opting for a little alone time from the group, ordered room service each morning and enjoyed it while overlooking the pool. It was a great way to start the day. To end each day, however, the resort’s nightly entertainment was a must. They had great music and dance numbers that covered all genres – definitely something for everyone!

All in all, my group had a great time, the service was awesome, and we ate like kings! I would highly recommend the resort to anyone traveling with a group on business. If you have no children in tow, you might want to opt for the adults-only side of the resort, La Perla. The same amenities are offered, but the atmosphere is more adult friendly. In hindsight, this probably would’ve been a better fit for our group as far as leisure is concerned, but this booking oversight was our own fault and not that of the hotel. Despite that fact, we still had the best trip to date!

Whichever resort you pick of the two, remember to ask for Jesabel! She’ll make your life and the lives of all your guests much easier.

Room Tip: If you have no children in tow, you might want to opt for the adults-only side of the resort, La Per...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ali N
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent visit. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests, we are very happy to learn we accomplished that mission with you and your group during your stay and all of you had a great time while enjoying our LUXEclusive ,modern facilities, interesting entertainment and life enriching activities and most of all, the attentive service of our staff, especially mention to Jesabel , who took excellent care of you and your group. We feel proud and grateful for your positive notes related to her service and attentiveness.

Once again , thank you for your recommendation and in your next visit it would be great if you could come just to relax and have fun.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just got back from a 7 day stay at La Esmeralda and we really couldn't have been more disappointed. From the moment we arrived until the minute we left there was an issue. It was our first time traveling with our children (4.5yo and 1.5yo) and we celebrated my birthday there and while I admit that I chose this hotel mainly for the kids' pool and kid zone, I expected more from what they could offer in terms of hospitality and professionalism. We arrived after dinnertime and my kids were cranky. I booked our reservation through American Express and paid for an ocean view room. At check-in I was told by the front desk that they needed an Orbitz booking number in order to confirm our reservation. This would of been fine by me if I had made our arrangements though that site, but I told them it was made through Amex. The front desk either didn't understand me or was playing some type of stalling tactics for whatever reason and wouldn't check us in any further because "it was imperative that they have the confirmation number for their records". So, I called Amex which all together took an additional 20 mins and just as I was speaking to somebody who could give me whatever info the front desk needed, he had the audacity to tell me he didn't want to waste my time (or my family's) any further and that I could give him the information at another time - Are you kidding me?? After all of that? To make matters worst, Amex couldn't believe what they were asking of me and demanded to speak to the hotel directly. Once that was resolved, we were led to our room which had zero ocean view and was filthy! They clearly hadn't vaccuumed the carpet as there were stains on it as well as the couch. This was the last thing I needed to deal with considering I had two tired and hungry little boys who had spent all day traveling. They did immediately switch our room to the third floor which offered more of an ocean view, but it was not a full ocean view as I was told it was going to be. At this point I didn't care. The following day our concierge told us that all restaurant reservations would be made by him and he would notify us with a voicemail of our schedule the following day. This did not happen and when I called, I was told by the staff that this is not their job and it was ours to do. Once I asked to speak to the supervisor, magically it was done in a few minutes and we were told it was done originally but the bell boy got "busy" and forgot to bring it up to us. I'm still not sure if I believe that one. The food was very average.
A few good things: the kids pool was excellent. My boys loved it. The kid's club was clean and my older boy actually asked to go there every night and that tells me a lot. The grounds are clean and the staff were mostly personable and nice. Just don't go there expecting anything above average or do go for the kids to have an amazing time while you watch them be happy. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: They are NO full ocean view rooms. Don't waste your money on their version of an ocean view roo...
6 Thank Sara S
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for staying with us and for sharing the experience you had at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda.

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you had during your check-in process, cleanness in your room and concierge service. Be sure that your notes have been sent to the managers of each involved area in order to improve and assure it will not happen again to our appreciated guests.

Even though you had some difficulties during your stay, we are glad to know you enjoyed our facilities in general and especially your kids had an amazing time at The Kids Zone and pool area.

We do hope sincerely that this somewhat negative experience will not deter you from returning to this hotel.

Plano, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were little worried going into a hotel that we never been before but once we got there we were amazed by the quality of service this hotel offers. It is very family friendly, great food, very nice beach. I want to say thanks to Erica and Yulia who helped us with restaurant reservation and any other general questions we had around this hotel. I would also like to mention Paulina who made out check in and out process very pleasant. I also want to note that people at kids zone are awesome and make kids feel very comfortable while in there.

Room Tip: swim up suite is great. our kids loved it
2 Thank KBest5
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us here on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to know the service and our all-inclusive plan were beyond your expectations. We strongly believe our personnel are our biggest strength to provide the service all our guests deserve, that’s why we will transfer you recognition to Erica Yulia ,Paulina and the Kids Zone team, who took excellent care of you and they deserve to know they were an important part of your holidays.

Please consider to stay again in Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda for your next vacations in the Mexican Caribbean.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#57 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!