“Well worth the money”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #34 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This resort exceeded my expectations. We stayed July 11-18 2014. We have done a few all-inclusive resorts in the past and never felt like we got our money's worth. That was not the case this time. From the moment we walked in we were treated with such kindness. The staff was extremely friendly and attentive. The facilities were clean. There was always someone cleaning and even fluffing the pillows on the chairs, couches and beds that were everywhere. There was always a place to sit and just take in the beauty. The food was fantastic. The restaurants were fine dining but without the stuffiness. The buffet was delicious and always different. There were plenty of options for everyone, even the picky little ones. Food was everywhere. Even at the pool and beach a grill and chef were just a few feet away. It was never difficult to get a drink. There were bars set up everywhere or wait staff to assist you. Even during peak season, the resort did not feel crowded. The entertainment at night was top quality. The only thing I would change would be that there would be more to do for tweens and teens. They had a kids club but that catered more to the under 10 group. Despite this, my boys 14 and 11 had a great time. I felt completely comfortable letting them explore the resort so my husband and I could sit by the pool or beach. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone. I would definitely consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Junior suite is small.
2  Thank Karen W
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda with us and with future tourists on Trip Advisor.

After reading your notes, we feel satisfied that you enjoyed the comfortable and well maintained facilities, our unique LUXEclusive plan with a wide variety in food and beverage in all our specialty restaurants and bars, top quality night entertainment and attentive customer service.

On the other part, our Activities Manager is now aware of your opinion regarding teen’s activities and be sure that your notes will be taken under consideration as all our guests’ comments and suggestions.

We look forward to welcome you back on your next beach vacation.

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda

Write a ReviewReviews (7,991)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I spend the week of our 30th anniversary here. We couldn't have had a more wonderful, relaxing and restful stay! It was fabulous! From check in to check out our entire stay was unbelievable! The resort is very beautiful, the rooms were trendy and very clean. The maid service, mini bar service and turn down service were wonderful! We stayed on the family side, but spent the majority of our days on the adults only side, where we swam, relaxed in a cabana, ate beside the pool and enjoyed the swim up bar service. The restaurants were fabulous! We especially enjoyed the Bana and Lapalapa, where both the service and food were spectacular. That isn't to say that the other restaurants weren't good... they were! We enjoyed breakfast every day at Hadar where Rigoberto Santos served us each morning (except for Thursday which was his day off). He was welcoming, friendly and pleasant each morning and made our stay that much more enjoyable.

Don't get the wrong impression that because we were there for our 30th anniversary that the place was full of old people, because it had it's fair share of young families and young adults as well. If anything, we were in the minority! But to us, that was part of the charm. We felt pampered and spoiled the entire time we were there! We would highly recommend Paradisus and will look forward to spending more time there in the future!!!

Room Tip: We were given an upgrade to a beach facing ocean front room. There was a great deal of jungle in fr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Diane W

Dear Guest,

We would like to extend you our gratitude for selecting us to celebrate your 30th anniversary, and for sharing the impressions of your recent stay.

Our most important goal is to exceed our guests´ expectations in all the possible ways and we feel pleased to know we did it with you. Our LUXEclusive plan were well appreciated for you, like the beautiful facilities, trendy and very clean suites, nice pool area, fabulous food in our restaurants and the friendly service of our staff. Rigoberto Santos will be delighted to hear that he contributed to your experience.

It would be an honor for us to receive you again at Paradisus: your home at the Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

If you have any hesitations, you shouldn't!! This is a great place. I visit a new all inclusive every year so I feel I can give you an honest opinion. This Resort is beautifully maintained, Beach area for Concierge reserved was amazing, if not in the reserved area, some could complain about rocks but you can easily find sandy areas and if you walk the beach a very short distance, you will find a natural spring area that is just fabulous as it is really really hot so that was very refreshing, shared by locals but they were all the nicest of people as well. I'm from Florida, so do know it is really hot, so you spend most of your time in the water so visit the spring as that was refreshing. The people are extra friendly, if you worry about a language barrier, Don't, as they speak very good English and we had no issues at all which was a big worry of ours after the Paradisus Reserve, which was great but we had a very difficult time communicating. We even had a Gluten free child with us and they totally got it, no worries there with allergies what so ever... There are so many people to compliment, Adrian, Jeronimo, a fabulous lady in the beach, wish I knew her name as she was Great, every single person was just friendly and polite., wish I wrote down all their names to compliment. Our concierge was Lucy, she was just so kind & attentive to all our needs, big huge thanks to her as she made this trip incredible with all her dinner reservations, special attention to our daughter with balloons and bubble baths in the room with nightly cookie treats and assistance no matter what you asked!!! I loved that the resort manager was out and about and constantly asked people how everything was, any complaints, any feedback. I have never seen that before and thought that was really great as she really does care about the experience people are having there. Nightly shows are nicely done but late, 9:30pm so with kids, that's a little tough after all day pool and beach. Kids club... Well it was ok... Wow, I could go on and on about the positives..... Now I will give a negative... Seating at the pool sides is a challenge as there is not much of it and that was very annoying. The amazing pool area with the blow ups for kids is deep if your children are less then 7-8 years old, expect to be in the pool with them as well as the concierge pool. They are about 4 1/2 feet deep so for us that was a challenge if you just wanted to relax. Food-- I found that to be very good at the main restaurants... I would not say the buffet was the best, pretty standard and choices always about the same but it was ok, we didn't eat there much as the other ones were really really good. My only last comment would be.... If you have to call for room maintenance, they are very quick. Ours was an exploding balcony jacuzzi which was hilarious, but they were there very quick to fix. Many people think a room upgrade is a given, do not expect that... They will charge you unlike the Dominican Paradisus. But if you are looking for a great family vacation, you will not be disappointed!!!!

Room Tip: Definitely do family concierge one bedroom master suite, room size is amazing and beautifully done.
2  Thank Naneralls21

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your Paradisus experience with us and with future tourist.

It is a real gratification for us to know that you have enjoyed all the benefits, services, and special amenities of being a Family Concierge guest. We appreciate your compliments on the facilities, the beach area, the food at our a la carte restaurants, where your child had the opportunity to taste succulent gluten free meals; and particularly the service provided by our colleagues. We will transfer your comments to Adrian, Jeronimo and Lucy, we are sure they will be happy to read your recognition to their service vocation. We are proud to count with employees like them, customer oriented.

Please remember that in Family Concierge you will find your home away from home in front of the Mexican Caribbean.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were there from July 6th until July 11th. Very nice hotel, looks amazing when you first get there. The rooms were very nice looking, they look new and modern BUT our room's a/c was not the best. We would drop the temperature to 65 because after a day of being outside, and being sunburned, that's what they body needs, and our room never went below 69. And that would immediately go back up to 71 or 72 after we opened the door to put our swimsuits outside to dry. Woke up every night in the middle of the night sweating, and for what we paid to be there, that was unacceptable. We called to get it serviced 3 times, they came up all 3 times but nothing was ever done to fix it. If we had not unpacked all our stuff, which was a lot, we would have asked to move to another room. The food was OK, not the best, everything was bland. I've had way better at other all inclusive resorts. The drinks were great though, especially at the swim up bar. Jose knows how to make a good strong drink. We did have an unpleasant moment with the staff that do try to push timeshares at you, even though they say it's not a time share. They bug you about it so much that you have to say OK just so they'll leave you alone and then copped an attitude when we didn't show up for the "appointment". Sorry, but I'm not wasting 90 minutes of my vacation to hear something I don't care about. Didn't visit the spa as I already wasn't impressed with everything else. The pools were nice and room cleaning and room service was great. The store there didn't have a lot to offer. One more note, our room did not have a liquor stocked mini bar. I'm used to there being liquor in there and their was nada. Also we booked a 2 double bed room and they gave us a king size bed, we had to get a bed brought in for my 11 year old. This would have been a complaint if she didn't end up having the best spot in our room. The vent blew straight towards her.

Room Tip: I'm thinking the higher rooms are the hottest, because we spoke to other visitors there and they...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent visit at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda.

Your comments are very important for us, it is through them how we learn about what we need to improve and take corrective actions to avoid negative situations in future guest experiences. That is why we have sent your notes to the managers of the involved areas: Technical Services, Food & Beverage and Club Meliá, in order to improve the service provided.

If you consider us again as an option for your upcoming vacations, we assure you, we will try to satisfy all your needs.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

So we just came back today from Paradisus la Esmeralda .. We were a group of 12. 10 adults 2 children.. It wasn't as difficult to get reservations for dinner .. The food was better here then in cancun (the Riu las Americas) .. The sun grill during the day for lunch was good.. The Italian restaurant was excellent .. Overall it was a good experience ... I definetly recommend it ..

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Daniela P
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear guest,

We appreciate you highlighted our LUXEclusive plan that distinguish us from other all-inclusive hotels, with our wide variety and quality in restaurants and bars options, where our guests never get bored and enjoy every single meal.

Thank you for your review and please honor us again with your visit in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We traveled in March, 2014 with a bunch of people and our 2 yr old daughter.

Food: Food was very good, in my opinion. For an all-inclusive resort I thought the food was great.
Facilities: Very clean and modern. We had an adjoining room with my in-laws which was really great because my daughter had the choice of running between 2 rooms whenever she wanted.
Pool: Pool was great. My daughter was a bit young to fully enjoy the kids activities at the pool but nevertheless, she had a great time.
Entertainment: I have to say that since this hotel is known for a family friendly environment, I didn't really understand their entertainment. One night they had a show where they dress as Indians or some sort of a tribe and they kill someone.. my daughter was scared and we left. None of the shows were kid friendly at all.
Beach: The beach sucked! There is no way to sugar coat it.. It was EXTREMELY rocky.. and it was tiny. We barely spent any time there.
Spa: We went to the spa and got a couples massage, which was supposed to last 60 minutes,.. but really only last like.. 35-40. We came out and told the receptionist and they gave us another massage for 20 min.. Umm. thanks.. I'd rather have a full 60 minute massage!
Kids club: My daughter loved the kids club. A lot of toys and they have parties for kids.. which is fun.

Overall I loved the hotel.. I would def recommend going there. They are HUGE on selling timeshare (which to me was a HUGE waste of our time)... so I don't recommend doing that unless you're really interested. The staff are SO wonderful.. they really went above and beyond.. which was amazing!!!

Room Tip: I would get a swim up room... anywhere really.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Irina G

Dear guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your point of view about your stay at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda.

After reading your notes, we feel satisfied that you enjoyed the modern facilities, our unique LUXEclusive plan with a wide variety in food and beverage in all our specialty restaurants and bars, the wonderful service and most of all, that your daughter had an amazing time at the pool area and the Kids Zone.

Thank you again for your recommendation and for your preference. It would be fantastic for us to host you again to provide you another great family vacation.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

People are friendly-will go out of their way to make your stay pleasant-have stayed four years on a row and each stay has been incredible-would recommend la esmeralda for families and la perla for adults

Room Tip: All rooms are very good size and modern-rain showers
1  Thank sashiba

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for highlighting the attentive service you received from all our staff. We are proud of them because they are the resort soul and they transmit to our guests our caring and customer oriented philosophy.

We appreciate you being a loyal guest and please remember you have a home away from home at Paradisus Playa del Carmen.