“Excellent hotel”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #30 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Excellent hotel, very clean, staff are responsive and efficient. Decor very tasteful. The food is excellent and plentiful. The pool is a bit crowded and you need to wake up early to get a shady spot near the pool. The beach is a bit away from the pool, but it is beautiful and there is also a jet ski rental, which does not belong to the hotel, paid separately. The medical answering service is excellent, especially Dr. José Díaz-Ordaz Castillo is an excellent professional. I needed to be examined due to a throat infection and Dr. Diaz was super helpful. Is a doctor who spends safety and confidence in what he says. A professional trained and very dedicated to what he does.

Room Tip: Near the pool.
1  Thank Andregsa
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review from your last stay at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda.

We are pleased to know your overall experience was good while you enjoyed the facilities, food at our variety of restaurants, nice beach area and customer service. We will communicate your recognition to Dr. Diaz for his professional service inviting him to continue this way.

Thank you again for your notes and please honor us again with your visit in the future.

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda

Write a ReviewReviews (7,678)

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Love this resort! We really enjoy our stay in La Esmeralda. The kids had a blast! They loved the water inflatables, the music and the chairs in the pool. One thing we really enjoyed is the family concierge service (VIP service). Our concierge was Daniela and she was always with a nice smile, helping us with our needs. One day she surprised us by living our bathtub filled up with hot water, bubbles and balloons. It was so nice to find that when we arrived to our room all tired after an excursion to Isla Mujeres.
Everything was always clean (love that!), and the rooms and all the different lounges had nice and special scents (e.g orange with strawberry, lavender, etc).
Love the VIP beach beds!! Great idea! The food was great in the "reservation only" restaurants. It was tough to get reservations, though. The food in the buffet restaurant (no reservations needed) was fine, lots of choices. I just think the place where the food is, needs to be cooler, since some of the food e.g. the cheeses, looked like melting with the heat and humidity; they didn't look appealing to me. The service is incredible. The waitresses/waiters and bar tenders are great people, (specially Danura and Adrian at the Hydro pool bar) they were friendly and always trying to help you.
Thank u all for ur attentions! We had a great time!!!
We really want to go back again next year!!! :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to read that your family vacations at Paradisus La Esmeralda – Family Concierge were full of surprises and now your family member have an unforgettable great experience.

Some of the benefits our Family Concierge guests have are: access to a swimming pool reserved for them, having some snacks at Hydro Grill, Jacuzzi at your room terrace, butler assistance and amenities for our youngest visitors, among others. Thank you for taking advantage of them and appreciated the extra value reflected on the kings feeling you have gotten.

As for the staff members you have mentioned in your review, we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of them, whom we are sure did everything out of love in order to make your stay wonderful.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a great stay at the La Esmeralda! My sons (7 & 11 yrs) can't stop talking about the place. The hotel, food and staff were all excellent. Lucy, our family concierge, was great and took care of all the restaurant reservations and met with us every day to review our itinerary. Alberth (sp?), poolside waiter, was very attentive and always had a cold drink ready for us. The restaurants were excellent - breakfast, lunch and dinner were all above average for an all-inclusive resort. The property is well maintained and beautiful. Finally, I was impressed with the hotel manager. She was very visible and you will see her walking around the property and asking soliciting guest feedback. She seems truly committed to making this the best hotel in Mexico.

Room Tip: Lower floor on FC is best.
2  Thank L-Family_22
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear guest,

We are pleased to read that your family vacations at Paradisus La Esmeralda were full of surprises and now your family has an unforgettable great experience.

As you stated, we are doing our best to be the best resort in the Riviera Maya and in Mexico and the only way to achieve this is by learning from you, all our guests who live the Paradisus experience every day and give us the opportunity to improve every day. Thank you for being part of this process.

We will be happy to host you again in the near future whenever you want a relaxing and pampering family getaway.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Overall, a tremendous experience. Kids (5 & 7 YO) absolutely loved it. Food was above average for an all incluse. Go Family Concierge, we didn't and regretting not having access to some of amentities.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank Denman M

Dear guest,

We are pleased to read that you and your kids really enjoyed your vacations at Paradisus La Esmeralda, where your expectations on regards food quality were suspased.

We wish you will consider staying again with us for your next trip to the Caribbean and remember to book Family Concierge!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

After me and my friend spent months of researching hotels in Mexico and the Carribean we picked the Paradisus La Esmeralda for our families. I can tell you the research paid off because this place was awesome. Let me start off by saying the ride from the airport was a little long but that was partly our fault for not just getting a taxi, we went with a group van and it had to make 2 stops before we got to out hotel. Once we arrived we were then taken care of immediately. They took our luggage then we were taken by golf cart to the private concierge area where we checked in and our concierge's name was Lucy. Lucy was so awesome, took us around the grounds and gave us a little tour. We had to wait a bit for our room which was making my son crazy as he just wanted to jump into the pool, we didn't get into our room until after 4:00 which we were supposed to be in by 3:00. Once we got to our room it was really beautiful, we could see part of the ocean and the pool area from our patio which also had a jacuzzi on it along with another jacuzzi in the bathroom. A fully stocked refrigerator and plenty of bathroom amenties you could want. I just don't understand why these hotels have these gorgeous rooms and then but double beds instead of queen size beds, my husband and I sleep in a King at home but we had our son so we each sleep in a double bed and got a roll away for my teenage son. I would rather have bigger beds then two jacuzzis. I think if I were to go back I would definitely get a suite as some nights I wanted to stay up and watch TV and they wanted to sleep but there was no way to handle that in the room we had so make sure you decide what's best for your family before picking your room. Now some information regarding the staff our room maid was Isabel, she was unbelieveable. Our room was spotless everyday always cleaned to perfection with plenty of fresh towels and I made sure to tell her what a great job she did. We had room service a few mornings and that was the best always on time with great servers, one of who I remember Uriel couldn't due enough for us. On to the pool one of the best guys at the pool are Isreal always pleasant and willing to help you with towels on get lounge chairs and the greatest of all was Jeranimo, this man worked none stop and was the most pleasant person I met on this vacation. When he wasn't getting us drinks he was cleaning up but so super I wanted to take him home. Our concierge Lucy she was always willing to help us with the numerous requests we made, we also changed our dinner reservations serveral times but she always made sure we got the times and places we requested. She always had a smile and helped us with anything we asked for and trust me my husband was always asking for something. On Lucy's day off we had Orion fill in and he was just as wonderful always with a smile and always willing to help. Now on to the food which in an all inclusive I am always leary as to what to expect but this place satisfied the kids to the adults with no problem at all. We had a great breakfast everyday whether it was in our room or at the restaurants and lunch was always awesome. We ate by the pools everyday but there was also other inside restaurants to choose from but we enjoyed the food and the atmosphere by the pool. Dinners everynight was something different, we tried most of the restaurants and found Bana to be our favorite, the service was the best especially from Manuel but I have to stay from the beginning to the end each waiter and hostess there was always with a smile and the food was just wonderful. Sorry I can't remember each waitress but each was very good. We ended up eating there 3 nights, we loved it so much. We also met the hotel manager, Annette Koelemeig, she was always visible and she came to our table and spoke to us for a bit one night she was really hands on to what was going on at this hotel as I saw her several times walking around the hotel grounds. Always open to tell her your comments about the hotel, good or bad. I think my only negative things were the beach was a little walk to get to and wasn't the best for swimming, at least not when we were there. We did however take out the kayaks and that was fun and once you paddle out away from the beach the water was beautiful but the next time we wanted to take them out they didn't have enough paddles which was strange. All in all I would go back to this hotel without question, my only thing would be to get a bigger room and take a taxi directly from airport to hotel so as not to waste time dropping other people off.

Room Tip: Loved being on the third floor, room was quiet at night and also in the mornings. I would still pro...
3  Thank NJbeachlover007

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed review from your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda – Family Concierge.

We are completely glad to read you had a wonderful time here with us, taking advantage of all the resort facilities, aquatic sports, and just being papered by our warm staff, who are always trying to surpass our guests’ expectations like Lucy, Orion, Israel and Isabel, your housekeeper.
It is good to know you attended to all our specialty restaurants, where all your family found something tasty to try.

We appreciate your wide recommendation to future Paradisus guests to live our “Pure freedom” philosophy for their next Caribbean getaway and we will be pleased to welcome you back in a One bedroom Master Suite.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Awesome service and entertainment. Excellent food and drinks. House wine quality needs to improve. Special congratulations for the outstanding service and efficiency of Family Private Concierge Mr Orion and Miss Yaneli, Food & Beverage Assistant at the beach. We will certainly come back.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Santanro

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment regarding the outstanding service provided by all our fantastic staff, especially from Orion and Yaneli. We will transfer your comments to them, who surely will be happy to read your recognition to their service vocation. We are proud to count with employees like them, customer oriented.

We hope to host you again in our little piece of Paradise.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I'm playing the grandparent on this family vacation. I had a very positive impression of the hotel, despite flaws that I will detail.

Because of new Mexican legislation, properties that have mangroves on them have to leave most of them in place. This 2007 ecologically-sensitive hotel, therefore, is on the beach, but separated from it by a mangrove grove. The walk to the beach proper is short, but there is not a beach view. Also because of local regulations, no building is higher than 4 stories.

This isn't the best place for a retired person like me, because it is geared towards relaxation (and I relax every day anyway). Basically what you do here is relax: relax in the pool, relax at the beach, relax at the bar, relax in the "Balinese bed," relax in the restaurant, relax in the promenades, relax in the lounges, relax in your balcony hot tub. It's almost funny how many places and formats you can just sit and relax. They even have lounge beds in the pool.

There are several restaurants. All were good. Service was attentive, although sometimes things got forgotten. I particularly liked the Bana Fusion Asian cuisine restaurant. Get some sushi from Enrique. The main buffet for breakfast can get crowded sometimes. There are several pool-side grills. I liked the fish and shrimp tacos at the Hydro. Except for the buffet restaurants, figure 1:45 to two and a half hours for a meal.

If relaxation is not your goal, then there isn't much to do at the resort. There were a few adult activities. I went to the sushi making class that was interesting. I also took the mangrove eco-tour and learned about the hotel's environmental initiatives, including saving water, energy, and recycling. I recommend both of these activities. There are off-site excursions that can be booked at the resort. We went to the Maya site Tulim (Zama) and this is a very nice site that can be seen in a couple of hours.

A few things went wrong. I had two attempts to deliver room service that wasn't ordered. When I opened the refrigerator, things fell out onto the stone floor and glass broke. This happened because the door tray was broken. I called and someone came to look at it, and said that the refrigerator would be replaced. It never was. The stone floors reflect sound. If there is ANY noise nearby, you will hear it, whether this is a run-stomping child upstairs or the temper tantrum from next door. It's not only audible--it is loud. You can hear the TV next door even when turned down pretty low. In the evening there are mosquitoes outside, so bug spray is suggested. Some of the housekeeping staff do not speak English, and I was confronted with a question a couple of times that I could not understand, or someone came to the room for a reason that I could not understand.

The WiFi signal was very strong in the rooms (each room has a hot spot), and lesser WiFi strength was found pretty much everywhere. However, sometimes that Internet connection dropped out, and sometimes it was unusably slow.

Food and lodging is included at one price, and you can do quite well without spending any money. However, the restaurants will try to up-sell you premium liquor. Massages are extra. In-room babysitting is extra. Room service is extra. Medical service is extra.

They give you a coupon book supposedly worth $1050. I think that mostly you have to spend money to use a coupon. The wife used a couple to discount services at the spa.

Generally the resort is bright and meticulously clean and polished. Everything is modern. There are refreshments in the lounge in every building. There is a bounty of staff to take care of you.

2  Thank Kevin D

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review after your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.
We are pleased to read you had an overall great experience while you enjoyed all the facilities and services offered at our LUXEclusive plan, and that you were able to relax in all the areas properly designed for all of you.

As you experienced, Paradisus La Esmeralda has a tranquil and relaxing atmosphere ideal for us to pamper you and spoil you a little bit with the service and provide you with everything you may desire to have an amazing vacation at the Mexican Caribbean.

We have sent your notes about the minibar and room service to the managers in charge, also we would like you to know that we offer English lessons to our staff in order to reduce language barriers.

We appreciate your recommendation to your friends and family to stay at Paradisus in order to get an unforgettable experience.