Real Playa del Carmen
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Rosa Mirador Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Koox Hotel Banana(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Tukan(Playa del Carmen)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Riviera del Sol(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
BRIC Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Soul Beach Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Fiesta Inn Playa Del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Coco Rio Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
  • Free Internet
All reviewstowel animalsgreat tripavebeachshowscobaliquorchichenvendors
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed here July 15 - July 18, 2013. Much of the staff here was really awesome (Cristabel, Flore...) and we met some amazing people, but the resort was not up to par. The beds are rock hard, the beach is 6 blocks away and the food was just average. Having stayed at the Gran Caribe Real in Cancun, we expected much much more than what was offered. The location was really nice, though.

4  Thank Benoit N
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

We really apologize if we cold not exceed you expectations, also it is important for us your comments and notes in order to improve facilities, we hope that you give us the opportunity to hostess you again. Best Regards.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

This place never will meet your expectations. Don't waste your money in that cave! The rooms are very bad. The service too. The snack bar is a joke, even the water bottles inside the refrigerator in the rooms had the caps broken and it seemed like they filled them up. They never put the number of towels needed. The food was not good. No variety. I think there is lack of good management there. What a pit because the location of this hotel is good. I do not recommend this place.You will feel frustrated in you vacation. Believe it!!!

6  Thank Janet P
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

We really apologize if we could not exceded you expectations, we already write down your comments and mentioned your notes to all Departaments to improve and change, it is so important for us. Best Regards.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

First and last time in that hotel. Would not recommend this hotel to any one. When purchased the all-inclusive package we were told that it included the use of restaurants, pool and other amenities at the Grand Porto Hotel and it never happened once we checked in. Rip off. If you try to get the all-inclusive package over the phone and the person on the other side offers you the use of those amenities (Armando his name) make sure he sends you a contract including those things told over the phone. The food was horrible. The bed...when first jumped into it I thought they had forgotten the mattress. Poor bathroom. The staff doesn't follow up with your needs. The snack bar was a joke: Wanted to play pool and there was nobody to show us where to turn the light on; wanted to play table tennis and no ball to do it...Overall it was a very bad choice.

Room Tip: The best room to get is not going to that hotel
6  Thank bluesky2013_13
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

We really apologize if We could not exceed your expectations, it is so important your notes and comments for us, I already talked with all Supervisors to pay attentions in your experience with us. Best Regards.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I decided to spend a few days on holiday in Playa. I chose to stay at the Real based upon positive reviews online and prices comparable to other hotels located in the area. I found the hotel stay had greatly fallen short of my expectations. On the positive side I found the hotel to be spotless and the grounds beautifully maintained. I stayed in a master suite all inclusive and found the room to be surprisingly traditional "authentic" mexican style as compared to the common generic hotel rooms you find at most hotels. I did enjoy that the refridgerator in my room came stocked with beer, soda, and water. However I was disappointed there were days the fridge had not been restocked. The show put on each evening by the animation team was always entertaining, especially the antics of Danny. They also took the time to meet and greet members of the audience following their shows. With regards to the wait staff I found them to be inattentive and not very enthusiastic regarding their duties. One exception was Juan Carlos who was always friendly and helpful. The food leaves a lot to be desired. The bartenders were the worst of all. I found them to be incompetent or or at times pretending to not to understand a simple drink order including ones listed on their own drink menu. By the way there is a drink menu. Apparently members of the bartending staff are unaware of its existence or just choose not to provide it. I also found the bartenders at times to be rude and more concerned with chatting with wait staff than taking your order. at times they pretended to not under any english having forgotten they had spoken with me the previous day. I also found there was no consistency in the quality of the drinks served. I think the bartenders should at least be trained on how to make the basic drinks listed on the menu. One exception was Alfonso, who was competent and pleasant. Also the hotel had bicycles on hand which were free for guests to use. Upon proceeding to check one out I was shocked to discover their poor condition. This included loose parts and rust. many did not even function. Also the bicycles were all men's bicycles and none configured for women. While my vacation in Playa was fantastic, I found the hotel experience disappointing.

Room Tip: If you elect to stay at the hotel I would recommend the master suite. Room was very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Happy682
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

We really apologize if we could not exceded you expectations, we already write down your comments and mentiones to all Departaments, it is so important for us. We like to improve and always do. Best Regards.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We went there two years ago and had a great experience. We came back this June and we were a little bit disappointed . We will not come back anymore.

The staff is not as nice or helpful. Some completely rude and voluntary playing incompetent (they pretend not to understand English or even Spanish) like the bartenders, as Fredy or the omelet Ladies at breakfast.
The waiters at the buffet do the minimum as possible. It's hard to get their attention.
The staff at the front desk don't do much either.
A plus for the cleaning ladies, doing a wonderful job, the bedroom was sparking clean as all the hotel and also the yard, well maintain by meticulous gardeners.

We notice less for the money, like we took again the all inclusive master suite, and plenty of thing were taken away, like the ice bucket, the coffee maker ( now only for the Premium), the iron, or the hair dryer. The bed side lamp used to bed beautiful Mexican ceramics are now plastic, no more hand-painting on the bedroom wall and the coffee table was broken in the middle.

Same thing for the drinks in the fridge limited at 6 no matters the number of guests. (two Corona beers, two Pepsi, two waters). We try to get instead water, but in order to get water we have to give up beers and Pepsi. Even like that the fridge was most of the time not fill up with the 6 daily waters. I did put a reminder in Spanish inside the fridge, but the best I got was 5 waters.
With long day 6 little bottles of water divided by us two was way not enough. It's ridiculous when you are All Inclusive not having enough water !!!

The cleaning lady use to cut off the AC so when we come back late at night the room was an oven impossible to cool down (the AC can't go lower than 18 degree Celsius and it's an old window unit in the sitting room not in the bedroom).

Plenty time the sink pipe was smelling like toilet. We wash our mouth with bottle water.

The Entertainment Team, so good 2 years ago seems doing the minimum as possible.
Exactly the same shows that 2 years ago, same horrible background stage and same lame games like Bingo . Seriously Bingo ?!!!

Some of the shows where totally inappropriate for kids, like the Hollywood Show, where on Pretty Woman, Dany and Mony play two prostitutes fitting for clients....Or vulgar and bathroom humor absolutely disgusting. Show lasted less than 45 minutes.

The Guest Service in the front hall try to sell us upgrade and organized trips every day by harassing us by phone. Our phone started to ring at 8:00 in the morning every five minutes.
I did try to explain (in Spanish) I did want call, but they keep on and on. We unplugged the phone line.

Overall it seem they are doing less and less and try to make guess pay more and more.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank grich82
Playa04, Manager at Real Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013