“Enjoyable Stay at the Hacienda Paradise”

Hacienda Paradise Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
Ranked #52 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
bethesda
“Enjoyable Stay at the Hacienda Paradise”
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We stayed at this hotel for seven days and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff is very accomodating, the rooms are very well maintained and the breakfast is delightful. Their is free WiFi, small pool, and concierge for travel arrangements. This is a great place if you want to explore the restaurants and do your own thing while in Playa del Carmen.

Many thanks to the receptionist RUDY for his helpful and friendly manner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hebrew first
NYC
Reviewed 11 March 2010

My girlfriend and I just got back from a stay in Playa (3/04 to 3/08).

My thoughts:
- We took the ADO Bus from Cancun airport, which was painless and simple. BUT, be aware that as you walk out of the airport, you're going to be hounded by dozens of individuals attempting to get you to take their car/shuttle. Fight thru it and get to the end of the terminal where the ADO bus arrives. Once in Playa, simply hop into a cab and 10 pesos later you're at the front door of the hotel.

- When booking, request a room on Calles 22 (the street on the north end of the building) OR something on the bottom floor of Av 10. I had requested this and unfortunately when we first arrived we were placed in a room on the second floor facing Av 10. The noise from cars driving past is very distracting and echos into the room. I didn't think it would bother me, but it was somewhat unbearable.

- We asked the front desk to move us to a different room (citing the fact that I had emailed ahead of time and was told at the time that we were going to be on the first floor, on calles 22) and they were extremely accommodating and had us in a new room the next afternoon. What impressed me the most: we had forgotten our toiletries in the shower when gathering up our stuff for them to move while we went out to the beach, but they did not...they had them in the shower for us in the new room...AND they remembered to take the beer we had in the fridge and move that as well. :-)

- If you're used to a little bit of walking, the location is not an issue at all; I actually preferred being on Av 10 versus Av 5 or on the beach. It's a short walk (5 blocks or so) to the Matimas beach club. The beach club was a great luxury, but I'd advise you to get there before 9:30 am...it seemed to quickly get crowded and the best spots taken.

- Av 5 in the evening is fun to walk around; we didn't realize until our last morning that we never walked north of Calles 22, so I'm not sure what's up that way but there was definitely a lot of activity going south and there was never a feeling of being 'unsafe'. In first looking at a trip to Playa, I had concerns that there would be too much of a "WHOO HOO SPRING BREAK 2010!!!!" college-age/underage crowd (I'm 33, She's 25)...was relieved to find that it's more laid back and a nice mixture of age, though this may have been due in part to the time of year...I believe spring break for most American universities is later on this month.

- We used the concierge desk to sign up for a snorkeling trip to Cozumel...not sure the name of the package, but they have a partnership with one company and it was amazing. They'll pick you up at the hotel, drive you to the ferry, have tickets for you to board and are waiting for you on the other side. The snorkeling was just right, not too long, and not too short. 35 minutes-ish at three different locations along the coast. The weather that day was a bit chilly...remember to bring beach towels with you to dry off.

- Never bothered with the hotel pool; the area is quite shaded and since the temp never got above 82, it was a little on the cold side. If you're looking for a hotel with a nice hotel bar/restaurant/pool/several amenities...this place isn't for you. Definitely think of it as a boutique hotel.

All in all, I'd say the positive reviews are accurate and the negative comments seem to be the exceptions to the norm. If I were to make another trip to Playa, I'd certainly choose this hotel.

New England
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I stayed at the Hacienda Paradise for the first five nights of march 2010 with relatives. We had two adjoining rooms that faced 22nd Calle, a block from the end of 5th Ave. They arrived before me and when I arrived check-in was straight forward. The first thing I noticed when I entered the room was the flower petals laid on the floor forming a corridor to the bed where there were more petals in the shape of a heart and a letter welcoming my family. Further inspection showed more petals on almost every horizontal surface of the bathroom as well. A nice, time consuming, touch. The room was clean and updated while still feeling a bit dated, but not in a bad way. There were about 10 switch plates on the wall, about only four of which were functional for the ceiling fan, A/C, and various lights. The closet was large and a lock for the lock box was provided at the front desk. The biggest surprise was the discovery of a small laptop computer in each of the rooms. I didn't use it much but it was nice to quickly check restaurant reviews, etc. The balcony in each of the rooms faced the central courtyard with pool, palm trees, bar/restaurant, and the back side of the next door apartments. The view was pleasant and tropical feeling. There was a large hammock next to the pool that was nice and comfortable. My room had a single king bed which was completely more comfortable than the two queen beds in our other room, which were both much firmer. All linens and pillows were plush, comfortable, and fresh smelling.

The lobby was modern looking with stone and glass surfaces. It included a concierge desk (although I never saw a concierge there during our stay), a water fountain, lounge chairs, and two free computer terminals. Included with the "deluxe" room that I reserved were beach towels, and I thought free passes to the Matimas beach club about five blocks away, but I was later told that only one of the rooms included the free chairs and umbrella passes for the beach club (although they were kind enough to give us enough chair passes for everyone in our party anyway).

The hotel's location is far enough down 10th Ave. that you won't be disturbed by any late-night revelry from clubgoers. There was a hotel restaurant across the street that seemed to close around 10 or so, so the only noise that could be heard was from the traffic going up and down 10th Ave. It wasn't that loud but it was noticeable, and I found that if I closed the door to the bathroom (which has the only window facing that side of the street), the noise was largely reduced. Other than that the short walk to 5th Ave. was nice, although the hike to the beach seemed a bit longer than I expect, but not bad for relatively healthy adults that liked to walk.

During our stay I rented a car for one night and found that parking near the hotel next to curbs painted white (yellow curbs are no parking) was not hard to locate. So we rented a car for another three nights so we could drive to Wal-Mart, Chichen Itza, and places in between. The car was never broken into or damaged. The neighborhood felt safe to walk at night; my sister and I walked back from the clubs in the early morning hours only to engage other local pedestrians in conversation or stop for a late-night snack.

The only negative about the rooms I stayed in was there was a funny odor (not disgusting, but reminiscent of a gym locker room) in the bathroom. There were plastic covers provided for the shower drain; I assume that was to prevent septic odors from leeching up through the drain, but that wasn't really the smell either. I think it may have had something to do with the grout-work around the shower that was made from lots of grout and small black stones aligned in three rows making a border around the bathroom floor. My guess is the grout may have harbored some slight odor, which I think could have been eliminated with a daily bleaching, but that's just a guess.

Finally, the staff demonstrated their flexibility on a couple other occasions when we were granted access to (the included) breakfast at 10:45am (they told us it ended at 10:30 when we checked in), and when I received a couple messages from a hotel in Mexico City that I had left something at and they passed messages to my room. Overall we really enjoyed our stay despite the walk to the beach, the noticeable noise from 10th Ave., the odd odor in one bathroom, and the lack of concierge visibility. I would definitely stay here again primarily due to the availability of parking, the attentive and friendly staff, the laptops, the overall cleanliness, the view from the rooms' balcony, and the proximity to 5th Ave.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Colorado
Reviewed 10 March 2010

We stayed here as an overnight stop on our way south to Mahahual. The location of the hotel is just fine for wandering out to the main drag and all the shops and restaurants and easy to find from the Cancun airport. However, the hotel is overpriced for what you get, which is reasonable service, a simple breakfast and only an average room. Ours was located on the west side along 10th street which was noisy all night, and one floor over the modest breakfast area which started to buzz with activity early in the morning...more noise. The bed was comfy, but everything else about the room seemed a bit threadbare and in need of upgrade...except for the nice shower (no bathtub, but that's OK). I think there are better deals in Playa.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Pacifica, California
Reviewed 8 March 2010

You have options when you travel, particularly in the Playa del Carmen area. You can do an all-inclusive, too often overpriced and "vanilla" and often a taxi drive to the town, or a condo which gives you all the amenities of home but with no helping hand whatsoever, a fancy hotel which charges you extra for everything, OR our choice: the Hacienda Paradise, a small, perfectly located hotel right in the heart of Playa del Carmen.

We chose this property for many reasons. The reviewers on tripadvisor loved it, and they're usually right. I called direct to the hotel and had all my questions answered accurately and efficiently. By the time I got there, I already felt like part of the family, rare for a hotel these days.

What we wanted was a hotel with breakfast, but not just any breakfast. A full breakfast served in a nice courtyard setting, complete with fresh fruit, yogurt, Mexican eggs (how do they make them so tasty?) and numerous other tempting offerings, plus some really good coffee. That's what we found. The staff is phenomenal, and both Giuseppe and Max make a really good espresso! (Just ask them.) No better way to start the day.

So that's the plan. Have a filling breakfast. Explore the city on foot. Walk a couple of blocks to the Mamitas Beach Club (by 9am to assure an umbrella) with the free coupons from the hotel, for chair and umbrella rental, enjoy some of the most blue water you'll see anywhere, have a nice casual lunch in what seemed to be about 1000 different options, none too pretentious (see: Cancun), take an afternoon siesta back at the hotel on their plush bedding, enjoy their pristine bathrooms, minibar, and cable TV and AC. And did I mention the complimentary coffee, tea and FREE internet in the lobby?

And if you want to bump it up one more notch, see if you can stay in their Master Suite, not much more than the cost of their regular room. Now your vacation becomes a 2-room suite with bar, large couch, double sized balcony, two large flat-screen TVs, a CD/DVD player, and IN-ROOM laptop computer, and as my wife put it, a bathroom "to die for", complete with a jacuzzi in its own separate space. We spent more time in the jacuzzi than the pool. That's how nice it was.

Great staff, great deal, great location. They lent us umbrellas for the short short time it drizzled outside. They have a concierge right on the premises who'll arrange any excursions. Their airport transfers worked perfectly. They all speak English (and Spanish and Italian, and even some Dutch!). Everything is super clean. And yes, you'll get the rose petals on the beds, and the towel animals as well. The hotel knows we're all on vacation. They do their job, and they do it well. Oh, and they take credit cards for everything, another rarity in Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
CynthiaHernandez, Relaciones Publicas at Hacienda Paradise Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this review, 16 March 2010
Dear guest,
Your Xperience Hotels family wishes to thank you for your comment as this motivates us to continue improving our services .We are glad to know we could satisfy your needs and contributed to make your stay in this paradise a memorable experience.
Your explanation about our services could not be better and we are happy to learn that you enjoyed each one of them. It´s our greatest pleasure to acknowledge that you have noticed that our personalized service makes the real difference with other hotels.
Thank you for your choice and we are confident to see you again in our hotels in the future and show you more about our Infinite Hospitality actions.

Best Regards

Cynthia Hernandez
San Francisco
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Cute little hotel, perfectly located in Playa. Nice to be 1 block from 5th Avenida, and 4 short ones from the beach. The staff is great, very eager to be of assistance and definitely improved the quality of our vacation. Free breakfast is nice, as is the free beach club access. 1 complaint would be that we chose the "change rooms" option to save money, and our 2nd room had beds that were not nearly as comfortable. Wish we had brought our little dog, as he would have been welcomed with open arms.

Dear guest,
First we would like to thank you for choosing Hacienda Paradise as your preferred destination for your holidays in Playa del Carmen. We will be happy to see you again with us together with your little dog and have the opportunity to offer our special pet friendly services.
Best Regards
London
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Having been to the Riviera Maya several times, I and my wife decided to finally rely on the web reviews and our search stopped when we hit Hacienda paradise. It is good value for the money, rooms are very clean, the staff is very polite, discrete, never too intruding and always care about your well being. The grounds are constantly being cleaned. The restaurant offers a variety of dishes for breakfast and again is excellent value for money. The real strength though is their staff. We have never been treated so well even in the glamorous 5 stars All Inclusive where we have been several times. You can feel it right at the time of reservation, when Sabrina and Marta are doing an excellent job in creating the expectations they will surely keep during the stay! They will do all they can to please you. We heard about the noise complaint but we did not notice anything of that sort. We guess sometimes people just like to complain about something that is maybe real for them but don’t necessarily represent a ‘threat’ to others. We noticed them working on certain rooms, installing an extra door between the main one and the bedroom. Can’t think of a better solution if external noise happened to be the problem. We definitely recommend this hotel but and we’ll be back in July.
Tom, Julie

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your comments; we appreciate the time you took to post your review. Comments and suggestions motivate us to improve our services constantly. Our philosophy is to go beyond travelers’ expectations and make them feel as comfortable as being at home. Sabrina and Martha are glad to have helped you with your reservation, having had the chance to show you all our services. We hope to see you soon and have the opportunity to surprise you once again during your stay.