“DO NOT BOOK with Patrick!!!”
Review of Dive Balam

Dive Balam
More attraction details
Owner description: The dive shop located inside of the resort Royal Haciendas, only 10 minutes away from Playa del Carmen. We offer our service from courses up to tours in crystal clear Cenotes. We offer PADI, TDI, NACD training from entry level, PADI Open Water Diver right through to dive master training and specialties! Our goal is to maintain the highest level of quality and service while making your safety our top priority. We leave from the beach of the Royal Haciendas resort which is the best location in the Riviera Maya. We have the world's second biggest reef right in front of us. Come join us as we dive in the turquoise ocean and have the experience of a lifetime.
Toronto
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“DO NOT BOOK with Patrick!!!”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We weren't even able to go diving because this guy Patrick booked us on the wrong day. When we came at the time we had asked for, our names were not on the list and we couldn't go. They also could not reschedule us for a different day because they were completely booked. The woman at the desk was very apologetic and she did try her best but ultimately there was nothing to be done about it.

Luckily she suggested that we walk down to the neighboring resort and we booked at their Dive Shop instead.

Visited December 2013

Fort Collins, Colorado
“As always, Amazing Experience!”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Dive Balam is easily the best dive shop I have ever used! I have been going to Playa del Carmen for Thanksgiving for a number of years now and one of the highlights is always going diving with Marcos, Carlos, and the rest of Dive Balam's crew (shout out to their other dive masters I hung out with - Patrick, Megan, Ryan, and Kitty). Most other dive shops I've been through have been good, but they just take it to an exceptional level. They are thoroughly professional, personable, and safe, but still provide a relaxing and fun experience! This trip's highlights for me include some fantastic local reef dives, a really fun night dive, a couple of absolutely amazing Cozumel dives, a night dive, and for the first time a shark dive. Wow! is all I can say on the shark dive. The dive was highly organized and surprisingly smooth, calm, and anxiety free (given the subject matter). Simply amazing! Another highlight was watching a couple of 12 yr olds (brother and sister) do their final open water dives for their certification and seeing how they interacted with their instructor (Patrick) - who did such a great job. I can't wait until my nieces are old enough! I'll take them to Dive Balam in a heartbeat!

palos verdes
“Shark Dive”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Last week in Playa Del Carmen, I went diving w Big Bull Sharks w Bive Belam for the thrill of a lifetime. It was great and the excellent Dive Balam dive team took great care of the divers, making it a confident and comfortable experience as they fed the sharks. I absolutely recomment it for any qualified diver.

John Williams, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Evanston, Wyoming
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best dive operation in playa”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

this dive shop is one of the best I have ever used. They are safe, personable and a all aound great crew of profession divers. Dont forget the shark dive it will change your out look on the animal forever!!! A must do while in Playa Del Carmen and if you stay at the Royal Haciendas it will be right in your resort and a great place to stay for familys

Breckenridge, Colorado, United States
“One of the best dive trips out there!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My dad and I went to Playa del carman to get him certified as I am already certified and needed a dive buddy. We went to Dive Balam the day we got there and we felt very comfortable with going diving with the company. Then starting Sunday we went out with Patrick and dive my fathers first 2 certification dives, and we saw a lot of beautiful coral. Then the next day we were out diving again and then he was certified so simple and easy! But I hadn't had my fill, so I went out and did the Bull shark dive. How amazing! I had dove with Reef sharks but these were amazing and I would recommend doing this dive if you have the time! We were supposed to leave the next day, but instead we extended tell Saturday and we dove Cozumel! that was an amazing dive, even though my dad sucked a lot of air, Carlos was ready with his octo and a long hose. I can't wait to go back!