“Loved that place”
Review of Tres Mundos Hostel

Tres Mundos Hostel
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed in Tres Mundos for only two nights ... unfortunately. We didnt have much time to stay longer as we would love to. This was the best hostel we stayed induring our whole trip in Mexico. The Slovakian couple Zuzka and Mišo who are running this hostel are very friendly (we instantly felt like at home), they also have lots of good tips for you what to do around Playa del Carmen. The rooms are clean as well as kitchen and other shared places like small terrace, roof terrace etc. We loved the colours, great music, excellent pizza night, cold drink and great chat. We would recommend this hostel to everyone ... I mean to real travellers:) dont expect breakfast in a bed ... its a hostel ... but they do have breakfast for free:) And wifi internet and hammocks and ... we just loved this place:) Hope to come back soon! Good luck guys, you are doing a great job!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed one week in this hostel and it was wonderful time for me. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I like there many colours and relax in the hammock. Exciting was BBQ on the roof terrace with music. The kitchen and also the room was clean. The hostel is not far from the beach. I can reccomend this accomodation to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I know hostels can't be held to the same standards as 5 star hotels but this place was pretty ridiculous. I know you're paying for a cheap bed but you can't let go of all you're standards. When my husband and I arrived we were led up to our room past a dirty kitchen and to a room which we shared with a man who seemed to think pants were optional. If you can't keep your boxers on then pay for the single sex dorms. It's just common courtesy.

I will say the location was good; only 4 or 5 blocks from the beach, but this fact was dulled by a few other factors. There was no where to lock up your things and the front desk blasted reggae music 18 hours a day.

All in all a person could do a lot better.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Dear reviewer, I'm sorry, but we cannot be held responsable for a dressing habbit of your dorm mate, it has nothing to do with a cuality of services or hostel in general, as you could have met him anywhere else. Also, unless he is molesting you, he is free to dress the way he choose, and i don't remember you complainig about it either.
Neighter I remember you complaining about our music, blasting is a pretty strong word for our ambiental micro-speakers, I know I cannot satisfy everybody, but most of our guests want a bit of music, I can't turn it off just for one person, who doesn't even express his dislike.
Yes, our cheapest dorms (the one you booked) doesn't have lockers yet, however we offer to keep your valuables safe in the reception, but we do have dorms with lockers, I could have moved you, again, you didn't say it.
Our kichen is clean most of the time, I'm sorry that you found it dirty and for the fact that the way to your dorm led throught the kitchen.
I promise we will try to do it better.
Happy traveling!

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We are really glad that we found this lovely place. Zuzanne and Michel created in less then 1 year the perfect hostel for us.
Everything that we expect from a good hostel is here: nice atmosphere, good clean kitchen, tranquillo dorms and privates, walking distance from the beach, bus, supermarket, restaurants…, beautiful paintings on the walls, relaxing hammocks and Music, friendly staff, nice people around, pleasant activities (footbal and volleybal on the beach, yoga,pizza night,…) You see…this is the place to go! Viva Tres Mundos !!
We only planned to stay one night, but easely we ended up staying five! And we will come back…soon !!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Hostel staff a great. Organized tours which are great and do not cost the earth, as with the tour operators

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The "dreadlock" hostel as I like to call it. haha... is great! A couple german girls we met in the street recommended it to us, so after checking out Hostel Riu, we came here and much preferred the vibe.

It has a cool little courtyard with hammocks and a kitchen...

BBQs on the roof top with super friendly people who work there - the slovakian couple are great, and the other mexican guy with dreadlocks is always smiling :)

All in all this hostel has a top vibe! Its friendly, clean, great location (5min walk to beach), and you can party on the rooftop, but still sleep because its not loco loco. The staff there are great, and know a ton of cool places to visit nearby, and are happy to help with anything.

would definitely recommend this place, and Hope to be back soon! :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2012

They force you to pay your nights in advance but refused any refund (not even one peso) if you are to adjust your travel from and earlier.
the couple who manage the place spends his day smoking, drinking and playing video games and do not bother if you have any questions. rooms and bathrooms are not cleaned: insects, hair, and sewage odors mingle.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3MundosHostel, Manager at Tres Mundos Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Hallo Emily! It's not nice to write lies about others and from my personal experience, all the bad comes one day back to you. So to put things in order, it's a lie that we force people to pay more nights, why would I do it? It's only the guest's decision.
As a majority of companies and establishments associated with budget travel, we don't refund money already paid, cancelation must be in advance and for solid reason. It's our policy and you need to accept it. You came here evening, paid 2 nights and after about 3 hours you decided that you don't like Playa del Carmen and don't want to stay another night, you could have asked me what to do here, i'd give you a good advice about places you wouldn't forget.
You write that we spend our day smoking, drinking and refusing to answer questions, it's a lie, I'm a nonsmoker and I spent about one hour explaning to you our policy, I'm sorry that you didn't want to understand, but it doesn't mean I didn't try my hardest.
You write that our rooms and bathrooms are not cleaned, this claim is almost funny. Can you imagine that a place where regularly live around 30 people together wouldn't be cleaned on a regular bases? Also there are definitely no insects, we are one of the cleaniest hostels in Playa, this is an experience of most of our customers who tried others.
The reality is that when I presented to your boyfriend your room it was just cleaned, so was the bathroom, as every day, this was no exception. When i entered your room the next day after you left, it was filled with toiletpaper, rubbish, unfinished food and drinks, nobody ever left me room this dirty, and this was only one night. Also I found out later that you burned out holes in one of our hammocks with your cigarette, all this probably a revenge, and I can now see why you left so early and in a rush.
Next time, a hotel might be a better option for you if you don't like to interact, but if you want a freedom and money refund, you might have to pay a lot more. Also a travel tip, a state of mind is important for a good experiences, negative state of mind will bring negative experiences.
Thank you for your stay.