Bottom line this place is outstanding. My wife and i visited here for 4 days for our honeymoon in sept, 10. we then stayed in a big all inclusive for 3 more nights but the all inclusive couldn't come close to the tides.
we stayed during the construction of the pier and pool. we knew some construction was going to be happening and it was a little noisy during the day. My wife and I were the only guests on the entire resort during our stay as the tides was closed but still accomodated us. we were the first guests in 3 weeks. initially the tides was going to move our reservation to a different hotel bc of construction as they did with their other guests, but i wanted to stay here and only here. one of my best friends stayed here a year before and couldn't stop raving of the place. since it was our honeymoon, it was amazing to have the entire resort to simply us. we were treated first class the entire time. they move us into the presidential suite for free and we really had 5-10 people waiting on us at all times. i felt bad that they staffed the resort just to accomodate us but we really enjoyed the celebrity treatment.
the rooms are fantastic, the nicest beds i've ever slept in a hotel. and I travel a lot (spend a hundred nights a year in hotels across the US for work). the plunge pools are a wonderful private retreat. wifi worked great in rooms and across the resort.
the pool was just completed when we arrived so we had it all to ourselves, it is small but large enough for the resort. amazing views and great lounge chairs.
the beach was great to relax and read a book. we spent the majority of our day under one of the beach bungalows. the resort has many spots for privacy and comfort on the beach. there is no fighting for chairs or towels here, everything is well planned and the service is right there when you need them yet far away to not intrude.
dining. the food here is outstanding. The chef met with us on arrival and prepared a menu specifically for us, we told her what we liked and they took it from there. We ate every meal during the 4 days here and each was delicious. warning, the food is on the expensive side, be prepared to spend $50 on lunch and $100-$200 on dinner. on our next stay we will probably visit the little restaurant right on the beach next door as they serve tacos, burgers, etc on the cheap just to save a little money. I did have the best club sandwich of my life for lunch one day so I'm going to request that again maybe for room service on our next stay. the tides offers a dinner on the beach which is quite magical. we did the grill which was a feast, shrimp, filet, chicken, pork, lobster... it was amazing. it was the most romantic dinner my wife and i have ever had. we probably will do it again on our next stay. the service is outstanding and the wine is great. we are heavy drinkers on vacation and the resort had us covered regardless of the time of day or location on the resort. i don't drink tequila either but on our honeymoon we tried many kinds and I enjoyed it all. the breakfest is awesome, they give you a wonderful plate of fruit and a basket of fresh baked crossaints/breads for free in the morning. it is definately enough so you don't have to buy breakfest. i had some good tacos one day for lunch and they made some spicy chicken wings just for me. again, we didn't have a menu as we were the only guests so we just told them what we felt like and they knocked it out of the park. I also did the banana leaf "grill" which was very good, a little unusual. It is 5 star quality food and the price is reflective.
other items; i would say this is a place for lovers and not big time partyiers. you can definately party (tequila bar) but i can't imagine this place pumping loud music and turning into the typical club scene. this is definatley a place for those who enjoy relaxation and pampering.
the pier was being built when we were there so we didn't get into the ocean much, it is rocky to walk through as is every other mexican resort i've been too so i'm excited to jump off the pier on our next trip.
tipping is appreciated and not forgotten. these guys work tirelessly with a smile and i always tipped pretty heavy to show my appreciation for their outstanding service. however, never was a tip asked for.
we didn't use the spa while we where there so i can't remark upon it. try the sweat lodge though, it was cool experience and it made me feel better after too many tequila shots the night before.
if you want to explore mexico, there is a guy right next to the resort that stays onthe beach, they can arrange for trips to the ruins, atv trips, boating, snorkeling, so it's close.
the tides gave us a free 3 night stay due to the construction inconvienence also. it didn't bother me but i am so excited to go back. our first stay here was the greatest vacation of my life (honeymoon makes it special) and i can't wait to go back.
we have other vacations planned this year including san miguel, mx, Venice, Amsterdam, and paris but we really can't wait to come back to the tides.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 35 minutes from Cancun International Airport and three miles from popular Playa del Carmen, Viceroy Riviera Maya is a serene hideaway set on the turquoise Caribbean amid a lush jungle ambiance. As Riviera Maya’s #1 resort in Conde Nast Traveler’s 2011 Readers’ Choice Awards, Viceroy offers world-class amenities, personalized pampering, exquisitely appointed villa accommodations with private patio and plunge pool, refined Mexican cuisine accented with international touches at La Marea and Mexican-Mediterranean fare at the seaside Coral Grill. Mayan influences abound, from the Mayan Blessing performed on arrival by the resort’s Shaman to the Mayan healing techniques offered at the award-winning spa. A Lagoon Pool, private pier, fitness center and traditional temazcal sweatlodge are among the resort’s many other pleasures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, MrandMrsSmith, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Odigeo and Travelbag so you can book your Viceroy Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Tides Riviera Maya Hotel
- Tides Riviera Maya Resort
- Ikal Del Mar
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Mexico - Playa Del Carmen