“Perfect place for a honeymoon!”

Viceroy Riviera Maya
Ranked #13 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 19 April 2011

My husband and I were here for our honeymoon in April 2011 for 5 days. This place was absolutely perfect! It was quiet, the rooms were very secluded and the staff was amazing. We could not have picked a better place. The food was incredible and we actually spent less than we thought we would. The spa was amazing as well, we got a couples hot stone massage and it was just pure heaven. The atmosphere is amazing. We only saw a few other couples while we were there. It was nice and quiet and secluded, just what we wanted for our honeymoon! I have recommended this place to everyone I know, and we haven't even been back one week yet. I can't say enough great things about this place. We are definitely planning on coming back. We thank everyone at the staff who made it an amazing time. You definitely need to go visit!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brittyjean08
TRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Dear Brittyjean08,

Thank you for choosing us on such special occasion! We hope you lived many unforgettable experiences at our jungle retreat.

We really appreciate all your nice comments and thank you for saying such great things about our spa and the resort in general. We trust to see you soon around the pool area or on one of the Canopy beds enjoying the view, the weather and a delicious cocktail.

The Tides Riviera Maya

Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed 15 April 2011

It was beautiful
But... Barking dog at night, $15 coke in minibar, don't even think of having them pick you up from airport.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank liltycat

Dear LiltyCat,

Thank you for your feedback, pleas know that we review our prices very often to ensure that the price and the quality match to our guest´s satisfaction.

I hope you had a great time at our resort.

Reviewed 14 April 2011

I recently stayed at the Tides for a fourth consecutive year. I keep returning to the Tides for the incredible service, the unique jungle / beach atmosphere, and the small resort feel. I really like that the resort is always working to improve and maintain the villas and areas. There were many concerns about the rocky beach and road into the resort. Now both have been improved. There is a new road going in and the new pier is very nice. At the end of the pier, you can go into the water and bypass the rocky entrance from the beach area right in front. I, personally, like the rocky look in that it has a "post card" quality when you sit on the beach under the hut areas and gaze out.

My recommendation at this resort is to speak up and talk to the staff to make sure that they accommodate what you want. The resort is on the expensive side so you want to make sure to take them up on the incredible service. I love Diet Dr Pepper and always miss it on vacations. I mentioned this to the staff and within a day, they had gone out to the grocery store to get Diet Dr Pepper. I ask for additional citronella candles at my villa and even asked to have the heat on my villa pool turned up to a cozy temperature. They are so accommodating to anything you want. This is one of the most special items about the resort. So don’t be shy with any of your request to make the stay perfect. I'm also not shy about the cost of things. I tell them I don’t want to pay for bottled water during my stay and after one time telling them this.......I get the house water at no cost (which is purified). There is one negative item about the resort - the air conditioners and villa pool equpment. You can hear them run when you are in your villa. Not sure what they can do about that in that I would definitely want AC.

I cant speak much to where to go outside the resort. I go to stay within the resort and tend to hang around there for my stay. I use the writing area; sit in the painting area, and just chill. The spa is good and they often run specials. The 4-handed massage is unique to Mexico and a treat. Beware, the ladies give a hard massage. I had to tell them to tone it down fo me.

It is a quieter, mature setting which I appreciate in that I'm not looking for "the wildest beer contest" when I’m on vacation. I want relaxation and luxury and, frankly, want to be pampered and taken care of. This is the resort for that!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BeachBabe121

Dear Beachbabe121,

I am thrilled to read that you have experienced firsthand the quality of our service! As you mention we are very concerned with each guest´s experience and we do almost everything for our guests. Need a romantic set up for your significant other? Done!, You want to eat something special, not even listed on the Menu? Our Chefs will take care of it!. Need extra pillows or hypoallergenic ones? No problem!. You want the recipe for last night´s dinner to impress everyone back home? Sure, we will hand it in to you before you leave, etc. Anything that crosses your mind you can ask for it, and we will make everything possible to make it happen! That is the service that we provide and one of the reasons that we pride ourselves to be one of the best resorts in the world.

Also thank you for your comments on the improvements done, we will keep working to conserve the best of our hotel.

Thank you for choosing us on your last visit to Mexico, we look forward to seeing you again,

Saludos from the Riviera Maya,

Reviewed 5 April 2011

Bottom line this place is outstanding. My wife and i visited here for 4 days for our honeymoon in sept, 10. we then stayed in a big all inclusive for 3 more nights but the all inclusive couldn't come close to the tides.
we stayed during the construction of the pier and pool. we knew some construction was going to be happening and it was a little noisy during the day. My wife and I were the only guests on the entire resort during our stay as the tides was closed but still accomodated us. we were the first guests in 3 weeks. initially the tides was going to move our reservation to a different hotel bc of construction as they did with their other guests, but i wanted to stay here and only here. one of my best friends stayed here a year before and couldn't stop raving of the place. since it was our honeymoon, it was amazing to have the entire resort to simply us. we were treated first class the entire time. they move us into the presidential suite for free and we really had 5-10 people waiting on us at all times. i felt bad that they staffed the resort just to accomodate us but we really enjoyed the celebrity treatment.
the rooms are fantastic, the nicest beds i've ever slept in a hotel. and I travel a lot (spend a hundred nights a year in hotels across the US for work). the plunge pools are a wonderful private retreat. wifi worked great in rooms and across the resort.
the pool was just completed when we arrived so we had it all to ourselves, it is small but large enough for the resort. amazing views and great lounge chairs.
the beach was great to relax and read a book. we spent the majority of our day under one of the beach bungalows. the resort has many spots for privacy and comfort on the beach. there is no fighting for chairs or towels here, everything is well planned and the service is right there when you need them yet far away to not intrude.
dining. the food here is outstanding. The chef met with us on arrival and prepared a menu specifically for us, we told her what we liked and they took it from there. We ate every meal during the 4 days here and each was delicious. warning, the food is on the expensive side, be prepared to spend $50 on lunch and $100-$200 on dinner. on our next stay we will probably visit the little restaurant right on the beach next door as they serve tacos, burgers, etc on the cheap just to save a little money. I did have the best club sandwich of my life for lunch one day so I'm going to request that again maybe for room service on our next stay. the tides offers a dinner on the beach which is quite magical. we did the grill which was a feast, shrimp, filet, chicken, pork, lobster... it was amazing. it was the most romantic dinner my wife and i have ever had. we probably will do it again on our next stay. the service is outstanding and the wine is great. we are heavy drinkers on vacation and the resort had us covered regardless of the time of day or location on the resort. i don't drink tequila either but on our honeymoon we tried many kinds and I enjoyed it all. the breakfest is awesome, they give you a wonderful plate of fruit and a basket of fresh baked crossaints/breads for free in the morning. it is definately enough so you don't have to buy breakfest. i had some good tacos one day for lunch and they made some spicy chicken wings just for me. again, we didn't have a menu as we were the only guests so we just told them what we felt like and they knocked it out of the park. I also did the banana leaf "grill" which was very good, a little unusual. It is 5 star quality food and the price is reflective.
other items; i would say this is a place for lovers and not big time partyiers. you can definately party (tequila bar) but i can't imagine this place pumping loud music and turning into the typical club scene. this is definatley a place for those who enjoy relaxation and pampering.
the pier was being built when we were there so we didn't get into the ocean much, it is rocky to walk through as is every other mexican resort i've been too so i'm excited to jump off the pier on our next trip.
tipping is appreciated and not forgotten. these guys work tirelessly with a smile and i always tipped pretty heavy to show my appreciation for their outstanding service. however, never was a tip asked for.

we didn't use the spa while we where there so i can't remark upon it. try the sweat lodge though, it was cool experience and it made me feel better after too many tequila shots the night before.

if you want to explore mexico, there is a guy right next to the resort that stays onthe beach, they can arrange for trips to the ruins, atv trips, boating, snorkeling, so it's close.

the tides gave us a free 3 night stay due to the construction inconvienence also. it didn't bother me but i am so excited to go back. our first stay here was the greatest vacation of my life (honeymoon makes it special) and i can't wait to go back.

we have other vacations planned this year including san miguel, mx, Venice, Amsterdam, and paris but we really can't wait to come back to the tides.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Nfrasercolumbia,

We cannot wait to have you back at our jungle refuge! I know it was a special occasion since we were closed and I am really glad to read that even thought we have that going on you enjoyed your stay very much!

Also I want to thank you so much for sharing a very extensive and detailed review to the Trip Advisor community, so they can have a better idea of what the tides has to offer.

We are truly looking forward to host you again!

Reviewed 27 March 2011

My wife and I, in our early 30's, just returned from a fabulous stay at the Tides. It was super relaxing, exactly what we were looking for on a long weekend to just get away and catch up on some sleep. Our welcome was perfect - we came in well before check-in but they had a place for us to put our stuff, welcomed us to take a shower in the spa and enjoy the beach while our rooms were readied. We loved the beach so much we stayed well past our check-in time and found our bags were already set up by the time we got there. Great welcome!

The Tides won't be for everyone...it is a small, boutique hotel with large, beautiful villas that are set in a 'jungle' type setting. What that means is all of the villas are set off on their own, blocked off by a bunch of trees off a long and winding path. If you like the big, sprawling hotel campus with several restaurants, a huge lobby this wont be for you. But if you like a small, intimate setting with great rooms, tons of privacy, a great beach and pool, wonderfully helpful staff AND NO LITTLE KIDS, this is the place for you.

We walked down the beach in each direction and spent time at places like the Banyan Tree. The Tides has a far better beach (2x the size, with great cabanas that are free and a staff there to set up whatever comforts you like) and because the hotel is so small, you don't feel like people are on top of you. That isn't the case elsewhere. The ocean itself is quite rocky, so you'll need to go out on their pier and jump in from there or walk down a bit to get to a sandy beach, but that is no problem. The banyan tree and others around there have tons of kids. We wanted a weekend without them :)

The villas are great - huge huts with a lux bed (more comfy than westin heavenly bed) and great bathroom and shower, with an outdoor shower, nice large plunge pool, and chairs outside to sit and relax.

We liked the Spa a lot. I had one of the best massages ever - if you like deep tissue, as for Dolores. Again, small spa, but services are first rate.

The only thing we didnt love was the dinner. The restaurant itself overlooks the water for breakfast and lunch and is great. Prices are a bit steep, but nothing more than what you'd expect at another 5 star place nearby. We were on a completely a-la-carte menu, so we had big breakfasts and small lunches. Breakfast is great, especially fruit and the local specialties. Fish tacos and guac were good for lunch. We ate there for dinner and were not impressed by the two fish dishes, the Grouper and the Snapper...both were dry and lacked a lot of flavor. Service was good. We decided to go out for dinner, one night to the Banyan Tree for thai (very overpriced but good food) and into the Playa Del Carmen for another (we thought it was a nice way to get away).

Overall - we loved it here and found it super relaxing. If you aren't one for boutique hotels, look elsewhere, but if you want quiet and luxury at the same time, this is your place.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
TRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Dear BostonianicNYC,

I hope you had a safe trip back home.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our jungle retreat. I am delighted to read that you loved our services and that since the beginning you got a nice and warm welcome by our butlers, setting up everything in your room.

As you mentioned we do not accept kids under 18 at our resort to help our guests to relax as much as possible. We have many cases where the parents come here to forget about their families and just enjoy the general ambiance of romance and relaxation that The Tides has to offer.

I would let Dolores know about your good comments of her deep tissue massage and also we would work on your comments about our dinner, because it is only with your feedback that we can excel.

Once again thank you very much for choosing us in your last visit to México and f you ever decide to come back do not hesitate in contacting me.

Pedro Lara • General Manager
Playa Xcalacoco Fracción 7
Quintana Roo • 77710 México
T +52 984 877 3004 • M • F +52 984 877 3001

Reviewed 27 March 2011

Everything about The Tides Riviera Maya was fabulous! Private, well-appointed bungalows; personal service; friendly staff; fresh food; great beach ... it truly exceeded our expectations. The staff seemed to anticipate our every whim from warming up the plunge pool after we spent a day in the rain to cleaning our sunglasses after a day at the beach.

Reviewed 22 March 2011

My wife and I and some friends stayed at the Tides in March 2011 and we loved it! I had been there about six years ago when it was called Ikal del Mar. We loved it so much back then that we decided to return for my wife's 40th birthday.
I must say that it continues to impress us. The service, location, and quality of amenities exceed expectations. We had a couple of spa treatments that left us completely stress free! The location on the beach is also very nice, as the sea breeze keeps the climate from being too warm.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
TRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear Mr. Jerrybloom,

It was an honor to have you back with us after such a long time! And also thanks to you and your friends for choosing our jungle retreat in such special ocassion.

I was delighted to read that after several years you where still surprised by our attentive service, our wonderful amenities and most of all by our great staff.

Thank you so much for your review and we will see you here next time!

Pedro Lara - General Manager