“Very good but can be improved”

Viceroy Riviera Maya
Ranked #12 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Alberto at front desk was v good. The service overall was good but when we asked for staff to come to the room it took some time and the cleaning was a bit hit and miss. The first 2 luxury villas we stayed in had problems with air con and noise (neighbour partying and building noise) so we got an upgrade to one of their newly built villas - very nice. (Beware that a lot of the newly built villas are not private - passers by can look into the villas, especially the ones by the beach and leading up to the beach.) The upgraded gym is good. The food is good but the kitchen is a tiny bit slow. If you are staying for more than 3 nights the menu might get a little repetitive but the breakfast menu surprisingly offers lots of choice.  For a change of menu, try walking to neighbouring Le Reve hotel's restaurant for dinner - the second hotel down the beach on the right. All in all, after our upgrade and a few snags along the way, a v comfortable and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank itunu
TRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear Itunu,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, and for providing very helpful feedback for us because it is only with our customers feedback that we can excel.

I wanted to let you know that as we speak we are changing the AC units for Chillers, a better and more silent equipment, so this will not be an issue for your next visit.

As you mention our Ocean View Villas are not 100% private as the rest of our villas and this is only because we could not have an ocean view from your pool and at the same time have the terrace´s privacy.

As for the Menu for lunch we have daily specials so you have different options from A la Carte service. and for Dinner we have some special nights: on Tuesday´s our Antojeria (Mexican street food), Thursday´s we have our Chef´s Table, Friday´s we have our Beach BBQ. This way we give several different options for our guests to enjoy the meals prepared by our Talented Chef.

I am glad to read that you truly enjoy your stay and I look forward to hosting you again in a near future,

Sincerely

Reviewed 9 January 2012

Fabulous resort with outstanding service and amenities. Very impressive. The cost for food and drink on site was excessive and a distraction from the overall experience. This is Mexico where one looks also for outstanding value. If that is what you are looking for you may look elsewhere. If money is no object, then enjoy. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank BoulderScot
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My husband and I recently returned to The Tides Riviera Maya. This enchanting property has been one of our favorite hotel destinations on Mexico's Caribbean coastline for several years, and it was one of our honeymoon destinations. The resort's magical setting, pervasive serenity throughout the property, delicious and authentic cuisine, and exceptional service keep us returning - and this latest visit was outstanding. We loved the subtle resort expansion that is in place, including the new villas that are closer to the sea, and casual bar/restaurant that is located pool and beach-side. We are always sad to depart The Tides, and are already dreaming up our next return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ElizaViajera
TRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Dear Eliza Viajera,

Thank you for bieng true to The Tides Riviera Maya. We certainly like to have as many repeat guests as possible and we like to know them so next time they come we can surprise them with something they like.

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TA community, we have actually come a long way from what The Tides was a couple of years ago to what it is now with new Road, Boutique, Gym, Grill, Fine Dinning, Beach Front, Ocean View and Jungle Villas, Lobby, etc.

Thank your for choosing us every time and we look forward to having you with us again,

Saludos,

Reviewed 18 December 2011

When you arrive, down a very bumpy road to the modest but tasteful frontage, you are greeted in a way that makes you feel happy and relaxed. The pathways leading to the villas are in a jungle-Balinese style. I was hesitant about booking at the Tides due to the ongoing construction but was assured that the construction had concluded and all that remained was furniture installation. The path to our room avoided any views of the construction so I thought we were in the clear. Our villa, no. 33, was way off in the back, secluded and lovely. As we looked around though, an annoying buzzing noise was relentless when you are by the plunge pool and on the sun deck. The buzzing was the ac unit of the villa in front of us. There was no soundproofing, or any attempt for that matter to dampen the noise from the ac and their plunge pool water heater. We asked for a new villa so that we could enjoy the sounds of the jungle and not feel like we were staying at howard johnson's with an in-room ac fan unit. I never understand how the designers of hotels that spend millions on gorgeous, private villas, plunge pools, expensive landscaping, etc, can overlook such simple design issues as hvac. They offered to move us the next day as there was nothing that would be better open when we arrived. After taking a walk to the beach to get some lunch we realized why it was difficult to find us a new, quiet villa when they were only 20% full...construction. All of the new villas along the pathway to the beach and on the beach were about 75% completed on construction. None of the landscaping had taken place at this point. The beach bar was closed (because we were told they built the wrong roof), the restaurant was behind the pool in a bizarre location, etc. Basically half the resort was closed. We were never told this on the phone. I pressed repeatedly to make sure that the construction was completed and asked if there was anything else I should know. All I was told was that finishing touches were being completed, period. Why would they not tell me that there was no beach bar, basically nothing up by the beach but the lounge chairs and beach service. Even the gym was closed.

I have been wanting to go to this resort for years. While my husband and I wanted to overlook all of the disappointments and just enjoy our time away, it wasn't what we had hoped for and were paying top dollar for. The resort will be a wonderful, soothing place in the new year, no doubt. The spa was lovely and well done (except when there was no hot water for 12 hours because they shut the hot water off for some reason, even in our villa). They just should have been more upfront. I would have waited to visit this resort in the future when I could experience it in its true glory.

One other thing to mention to people thinking about coming to the Tides is that the hotels flanking the Tides are not of the 5 start quality of the Tides. They smack right up against the hotel walls. When you are on the beach, it is not like being on a vast private beach in the Caribbean (like Anguilla), its like being on a beach in Florida. Lots of foot traffic, the view is of Cozumel, the cheap chairs of the hotels next to you. If you are looking for a secluded, sleepy getaway, go to Tulum. Which is exactly what we did. After one night, we left for Tulum and found privacy, luxury, and no construction.

Lastly, the staff at the Tides was pleasant and understanding. They work very hard and I felt badly for them. I am sure we weren't the first to comment on our disappointment and being mislead about the construction. Strangely though, when they were trying to find us a villa away from the construction for the next day, they offered us a room that was a downgrade from the Sassil villa we had booked and offered a $300 resort credit for the remainder of our stay. I went online to their website and could book the cheaper room for $300 less than what I was paying, saving $1200 over the length of our stay. That seemed liked they didn't care or didn't get it. This was a lesson in asking the right questions and if you aren't confident, ask for someone above the reservation person.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa that sits away from other villas. Ask for a Sassil villa that has an open sun deck.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank suppergal

Dear suppergal,

It is disapointing to read that we did not meet your expectations. I truly apologize for the inconveniences you had to go through. Let me tell you that part of our rennovation and expansion consists in substituting the A/Cs and pool heaters to a newer and better system that will be completely silent avoiding any disruption to our guests.

I would love to speak to you personally about your experience because it is only with your feedback that we can excel. If you´d be so kind to email me your phone number and the best time to reach you I would truly appreciate it.

Looking forward to our phone call,

Sincerely

pedro.lara@thetidesresorts.com

Reviewed 14 December 2011

I spent a special birthday with my husband at the resort and was provided with exceptional TRM service from a team that was more like family than hotel staff. They just care so much and remember you by name, anticipate your needs and are simply really nice people.
They arranged a special and amazing romantic birthday dinner for me and my husband on the pier overlooking the Caribbean with a beautiful full moon - couldn't have been more appropriate for my memorable milestone.
While we were there there was another small group of birthday guests who as a group celebrated day and night in a special beach palapa with a long table for 20 people that looked so fun and engaging. This was all built especially for them by the hotel team. All this was happened without being any bother to us and our romantic getaway. We want to come back to the resort and do the same with a small group of our close friends to eat and drink the wonderful food, relax in the spa, swim in the pool and beach and just chill.
Our Tides Riviera Maya visit was an amazing experience that puts even the best luxury properties in the Mayan Riviera to shame!!

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for their new beach front or ocean view villas. If you are looking for comple...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear tina j,

Once Again Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great time at our magical jungle refuge.

Thank you for sharing so many positive comments about The Tides, it is actually part of our standards and values to anticipate guest needs and to know every guest and the staff lives by this. It is just great to read that they surprised you in any possible way, I truly believe that it is all about service and I am pleased that we exceeded your expectations.

If you decide to come with your friends please let us know, we have a person specifically dedicated to weddings and groups and she can definitely help you organizing some great activities for you and your friends.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2011

I have just joined trip advisor to write a comment about The Tides. We are staying here as I write this comment (villa 30!!) and this place is just amazing! We have travelled through Fiji, Europe, USA, Eastern Asia and the Uk and nothing matches the tides for quality and service! We have one night to go and don't want to leave. Make sure you do the walk into Playa Del Carmen along the beach if you get a chance and have dinner on the beach on a Tuesday (it's traditional Mexican night).

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank tjhatcher83

Dear tjhatcher83,

Thank you for joining TA just to post a comment on our resort!

I am glad you truly liked your villa, let me tell you that not only Villa 30 is great, all of them are, with private plunge pools & Terrace, indoor showers and moon showers, and even private sundecks (Royal Villas only) so I truly understand why you wouldn´t want to leave.

Every Tuesday we are still having the Antojeria with carnitas, bean soup, Marquezitas & churros, as well as other delicious mexican dishes. I promise we will have it every Tuesday until you return!

Looking forward to hosting you again,

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 20 November 2011

The tides is truely a Five Star Resort. The staff went out of its way to take care of us during our stay. My favorite part of our stay was the BBQ on the beach. Don't miss it.

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear GBPackisback,

I hope you had a safe trip back home!

Thank you for your kind comments about our Staff, they are a true asset to the resort and that certainly turns into many happy returning guests.

We look forward to having you with us once again,

Warm regards