“FANTASTIC!!!”

Ranked #11 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York, New York, United States
“FANTASTIC!!!”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is my first review of a hotel ever. I have travelled quite a bit , and the Viceroy Riviera Maya is the real deal. As soon as we stepped into the lobby, the service was phenomenal. Everyone was so nice, pleasant, welcoming, and helpful. You will be called by your name, you'll have your sunglasses cleaned, cold towels handed to you while on the beach. (Pepe was an amazing server while we were on the beach!) Not to mention the long deck that extends into the ocean is an amazing touch to this place. I am from New York City and needed to get away to a quiet, peaceful place and this surpassed all my needs. My girlfriend and I didn't even leave the resort we were so comfortable. The vilas were gorgeous, spacious, and the plunge pool was extremely relaxing. This hotel is very private, secluded, and perfect for couples. So if your looking to get away with your significant other, trust me, this is the place to go. Having dinner at La Marea, or the coral grill right on the beach was romantic, and the menu was diverse and tasty. The only negative aspect was maybe the mosquitoes at night, but other than that, this was one of the best vacations I've had! HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!

Room Tip: Villa 26 is very secluded and private.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rob D
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Dear RobD,
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
We feel honored that you have distinguished us with your preference. The atmosphere and tranquility surrounded by the sound of the birds, warm breeze and other jungle sounds, create the perfect spot to getaway and relax. We are very glad to hear that you enjoy it so much as well as our restaurant and different amenities.
We will consider your comments about the mosquitoes at night and take the necessary steps in order to have a better control of them.
We look forward to serving you again. Thank you for your valuable feedback
Viceroy Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Hebrew first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2012

A lovely hotel on a white sandy beach set in a jungle, away from the hub of Cancun. The Villa was huge, as was the bed, The outside shower was a nice touch. As were the products in the bathroom. The Villa was spotlessly clean, with a well stocked Mini Bar as well as a huge TV. Magazines and a daily paper were provided, the paper updating the weather as well as the news from around the world. Good WIFI throughout the hotel
The aircon worked well, and the outside private pool and seated area was a nice place to relax in.
The SPA was top class, with the best steam room, I have ever been in. The Treatment rooms as well as the treatments were up there with the best.

The food was first class in both the beach fronted restaurant as well as the more formal dinning area.

The beach area was clean and staff attentive who would bring cold wet towels to cool you down throughout the day.

The pool was well maintained with the water at exactly the right temp.

The staff here are also to be recommended, polite, always smiling and helpful.

great stay.

As an overseas visitor due to the exchange rate, the hotel is expensive, but worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank undercoverelephant
Dear Undercoverelephant,
Thank you for choosing our jungle retreat in this last visit to Riviera Maya and for taking the time to post your comments.
We have informed to all our staff about our comments. It is very nice to hear that your stay was very satisfactory.
We feel very proud to share with our customers our jungle refuge and we are always looking for different ways to provide a memorable stay through our guest experiences.
On behalf of the entire Viceroy family we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.
Kind regards,
Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I dont often write reviews, but I do read most of them, especially the ones that are negative to give my self an idea of the flaws. So when I was looking for a Hotel in Playa del Carmen region I did my research and found that out of all the Hotels the Viceroy Riviera Maya had very little or virtually no negative feedback, so based on experiences at other Viceroy hotels and on the feedback from previous visitors it was a no brainer.

My experience can described as AMAZING all around, the hotel itself is a small luxury hotel which is very appealing if you dont want the hustle and bustle and walking large distances to get to the ocean, pool or restaurants, you are surrounded by a jungle setting, rooms are small luxurious villas with all modern necesities (King bed, AC, Flat pannel TV, sofa, lounge chairs, private pool, FREE WIFI, you name it!).

The beach section of the hotel is the nicest of all the sorrounding hotels in the area and in fact it has the only dock with a palapa at the end making it a hotspot for picture seekers. I read in other reviews that the beach was rocky and it had a few rocks on the shore but so do all the other areas, the good thing about this is that the hotel offers sea shoes for free as well as other amenities such as snorkeling gear.

The hotel has several alternatives to lay around, such as sunbathing chairs and beds, shaded beds covered with small palapas and 3 king size beds suspended on wooden structures (these where the best for me).

The pool is good size and has a shore line, really nice to sunbathe and keep cool on those hot and humid cancun days.

The food, I was especially worried on this part, as I had read from a couple of reviews that it was very expensive and I got to tell you that NOT AT ALL, the food is very good and costs the same as it does in any california pizza kitchen restaurants in the states, the drinks were the same you would pay in any place or hotel of that matter in the states.

The staff and service, this is one of the gems the hotel has to offer, very proffessional, attentive and helpfull group of guys and girls, EVERYONE knew my name as soon as my wife and I arrived from the airport and were greeted with cold wet towels, as well as a typical mayan drink and some awesome hand made soaps for our room (chocolate, almond and mint).

When I was making the reservation they asked what was the reason of my trip and said my 1st wedding anniversary, to my surprise when were showed our room / villa we found out why they had asked, they arranged rose petals on the bed in a heart shape with a couple of rings made out of paper, a very nice gesture on their part, that few hotels nowadays do.

Overall this is bar none the best alternative to stay in first class accomodations in Playa del Carmen, I have already recommended it to all my family and friends and plan to go back as soon as my busy work schedule permits.

Make sure to consider 29% additional to the price stated on the webpage you are looking at, this amount consists of (11% Mexican Tax and 18% hotel service charge which all of the other hotels charge as well) so don't be dissapointed by this, these taxes are charged in most states in Mexico as well in some parts of the US.

Hope you choose this hotel and have a great vacation as we did.

P.S. Make sure to rent a car at the airport so you can check out all that the are has to offer, it is better and less expensive than going around in taxis.

Also checkout this great French Bakery and Cafe on Fifth Ave & 34st called CHEZ CELINE, the best chocolate mousse and other pastries I have tried in my life!!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the jungle side, these offer the most privacy.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AlejandroMdelCampo
Dear AlejandroMdelCampo,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share such great comments about your stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
We do appreciate that you consider us among your prefer accommodations in Playa del Carmen.
It is always very rewarding to hear from our customers that they not only have enjoyed our facilities but also they would like to return and share the information with their family and friends.
It is only through your feedback that we can improve to get our guest satisfaction.
Thank you again and we look forward to host you in your second wedding anniversary.
Yours sincerely,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 July 2012

This is my first TripAdvisor review, but I feel compelled to write this after the outstanding experience at Viceroy Riviera Maya. I have stayed in truly great hotels around the world, and nothing was quite like this. The Viceroy is a small intimate luxury resort unlike any of the mega-resorts along Playa del Carmen. Our villa was literally in our own private jungle with a private plunge pool (actually more like a real pool). Combined with our outside jungle shower, this was something my wife and I had not experienced anywhere else. The architecture is gorgeous, the main pool and beach perfect, and the food was three stars. Particularly the beach restaurtant at the Coral Grill. And coming from the foodie capital of San Francisco, that is really saying something. But perhaps the most unique quality was the service. From morning to night, it felt as if we had our own private butler, who knew us by name. I only hope that this review doesn't triple the price so that the next time I can't afford coming back.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Al S
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear Al S,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.

I really do appreciate your comments and I am very glad that you have found our service and amenities to be one of the best that you have experienced. Our staff would feel really flatter about your feedback!

In our Villas we not only provide private plunge pool in each one of them but something that is very characteristic is our Moon Shower, which I am really glad to hear you and your wife enjoyed so much.

We continuously modify our dishes to offer our guest different experiences but very unique and satisfying every time.

It is going to be a pleasure to host you again in a near future, thank you again for your great comments!!

Warm regards,

ponygirl123
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Breathtaking property - white beach, crystal clear water, VIP jetty, 5 star hospitality - perfect villas with privacy and their own pools - blown away from this 10 day stay at the Viceroy Riviera Maya. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ponygirl123
Dear Ponygirl123,

I thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.

It is really gratifying to know that you have found our jungle retreat so appealing. We really look forward to continue hosting you again in a near future so you can keep enjoying our unique characteristics and of course your private plunge pool.

Kind regards,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Luxury in the Riviera Maya’s Rainforest
By Laurette Veres

Set on the turquoise waters of the Caribbean in a jungle ambiance, The Viceroy Riviera Maya does not disappoint. The Viceroy Riviera Maya is a secluded boutique hideaway minutes from Playa del Carmen and 40 minutes from Cancun, Mexico. A serene hideaway merging luxury amenities with dramatic sea and jungle, Mexico’s Riviera never looked so good. Sugary white sands lapped by the warm Caribbean are the perfect setting for the dining, swimming, lounging, and high-end villas found here. You'll enjoy sitting on the beach and watching the waves roll in. It's easy to relax here.

Room Tip: Although some of the rooms have an ocean view, I prefer the rooms that do not. In this case, your...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Ms. Veres,

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback about your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.

I am really happy to know that you had such a great experience! I look forward to host you again in a near future and I really hope that we become one of your preferred destinations in the Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Everything about the Viceroy was excellent from the moment we arrived. Unlike the other big resorts in Playa del Carmen, the viceroy has a small entrance which makes the arrival feel more personal and welcoming. Every single person working there treats you as if you are royalty and the amenities, food and service ate impeccable. I highly recommend it, especially if over the top resorts are not your thing. This place is very romantic and intimate.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Serena4281
, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Serena4281,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
I am very happy that you have enjoyed so much your stay and having such a great experience with us. We are a unique property that offers a personal and luxury experience to our guest from the moment that you arrive until you leave. It is always great to have your feedback so we can improve and get better for our guests.
The entire Viceroy Family look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.