“Unique & Serene Luxury in the Jungle”

Ranked #14 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 13 September 2012

On a whim, we decided to give the Riviera Maya a try for our recent vacation. It looked quite touristy, but we figured it would be less crowded since we were vacationing during the off-season. After researching many "luxury boutique hotels" in the area, we decided upon the Viceroy Riviera Maya and were consistently reaffirmed in our decision throughout the trip.

The area is jam packed with HUGE resorts (you can tell they really cater to the all-inclusive, spring break crowd) and were we so glad we didn't choose one of them. The Viceroy feels like a secret space only few are lucky enough to stumble upon. While it appears to be located right in the fray, the resort actually feels miles away from all the craziness of the area. Tucked away in a small patch of jungle with only 40 rooms, the feeling of the resort is always serene and peaceful - it was the perfect escape for us, as we were looking forward to quiet time to renew ourselves. The fact that the resort does not allow children has to be one of its BEST features - it was mostly all couples, who all seemed to posess the same mission as we did. This place is ideal for those looking to escape the resorts that cater to families (no splashing at the pool for us, thank you!) and the partying, drunken spring break crowd that seems to be abundant in the area.

The property is beautiful - it blended into its natural surroundings and avoided the overly-manicured look of a lot of luxury properties. We loved strolling through the shaded jungle pathways, always keeping an eye out for the chance monkey sighting and relishing all the peaceful bird sounds, especially while in bed in the mornings. The rooms are gorgeous with all the creature comforts, yet still feel a part of the nature around you. The outdoor shower was such a nice way to start the day.

The service at the resort is really what sets it apart. All of the staff, from the landscaping crews to the restaurants to the concierges all seemed to be genuinely concerned with making sure we had the best stay possible. People seemed to enjoy their jobs and work hard at creating the ultimate guest experience. From the moment you arrive (one of the best arrival experiences I have ever had) throughout the rest of your stay, you feel at peace and so well taken care of. Two of the main concierges - Alberto and Oscar - really went out of their way on a daily basis to check in (although never in an overwhelming way), to make sure we were happy and had everything we needed. The pool attendant, Pepe, was seemingly always available, calling us by name and refreshing our favorite cocktails and bringing us special poolside treats. The restaurant staff were incredibly professional and always at the ready. The spa staff was also excellent - I highly recommend Carla for massages - had to visit her throughout the stay because she was so talented in the art of relaxation!

As far as activities go in the area, we weren't all that impressed. While Playa del Carmen was nice for evening strolls and dinners off the resort, during the day it is hot with not much to do. We were expecting nicer boutiques and shops, but it's mainly all over-priced tourist crap. We arranged a day trip through the hotel to visit the ruins in Tulum and a few other stops - the driver provided by Viceroy was excellent and maintained the service level of the resort. However, the ruins were a disappointment which we quickly left, due to the overly tourist experience - packed with people, buses, and knick-knack shops with no authenticity left.

If you're looking for a trip to mainly stay at a resort and enjoy a luxuriously serene experience, I highly recommend this place. The food, service, and facilities were excellent and often left us wondering why we even left anytime we decided to venture outside the property - which says a lot, considering we are people who usually only stay on property a night or two of a trip.

We were highly impressed with our experience. This was our first time staying with Viceroy and are definitely going to be looking out for their properties next time we travel and will definitely return should we ever visit this area again.

Room Tip: We were very pleased with our room, a "jungle villa". The pool/patio/outdoor shower area w...
1  Thank Chrissann N
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Dear Chrissann N,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent stay at our jungle refuge.
We feel really happy that you have enjoyed so much the entire resort and the privacy of your villa. Our staff is our main asset, they take care of each one of our guest and make them feel not only at home but also they provide a professional service so you can have the best experience.
I will share your comments with Pepe, Alberto, Oscar, Karla.
It is our main goal to offer the best luxury experience and exceed our guest expectations.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in your next trip to the Riviera Maya.
Yours Sincerely,

Viceroy Riviera Maya

Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Our vacation was an unforgettable experience. We left the Viceroy feeling absolutely relaxed and happy. We were so impressed with the level or service we received and the professionalism throughout our stay by all the staff. Some highlights:

ROOM/GROUNDS/AMMENITIES: We were wow-ed with the tour upon our arrival of the Viceroy grounds and all of the amenities that the resort had to offer. All of the little passageways in the jungle were so fun to explore. One day we walked to a private little spot that had paper, and pencils and blank canvas and paint available, and just sat and drew pictures for an hour. There was so much to enjoy and explore. The restaurant and the cigar bar, and the lounge with all of the games provided made the vacation feel more as though we were staying in our own private home rather than a hotel. The Viceroy is such a unique and special place and the villa was one of the most incredible hotel “rooms” I have seen. Felt like we were staying in the middle of the jungle! The private plunge pool/hammock and outdoor moon shower were enough that we never wanted to leave the room! The staff coordinated the cleaning/turn-down service so that they were never intruding. During the day when we were at the beach, they did wonders to our room. And we would come back from dinner impressed that our beds were again freshly made and towels, slippers and robes put out for our convenience. They were so cute with the little animal sculptures the cleaning staff made with our towels.

SPA: We absolutely LOVED the spa and the treatments that we received. Ricardo at the Spa was so nice and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed the Mayan welcoming ceremony and the delicious lemongrass coconut tea upon our arrival at the spa and the staff was so nice to let me and my boyfriend go into the steam room together and made special accommodations for us. The homemade soaps that were given to us were such a great gift! I brought them home, and every time I use them, I am reminded of my stay. The “express” facial/massage package at the spa exceeded my expectations, felt like I was receiving the full service…if that was express, I can’t imagine what goes into the full facial package.

STAFF: Pepe was the BEST at the beach! He made our trip worth while, he went above and beyond to make us happy and the service we received from all of the beach staff exceeded our expectations. Everyone was so nice and helpful without being over bearing. They also anticipated our every need. I can’t remember everyone’s names but Alberto Corona and Alexandra were fantastic. I was especially impressed by one circumstance…I unfortunately got a few splinters in my foot from walking on the beach and when I called the front desk to ask for a needle, I was greeted by two staff members and a medic kit instead. They sat me down and proceeded to remove each and every splinter in my foot! I cannot thank them enough for going above and beyond! Additionally, everyone knew our names and greeted us in passing. I felt as though the staff truly cared about how much we were enjoying our stay. The staff was somehow made aware of our schedules as well. One day I got the idea to try parasailing, all I had to do was make one phone call to the front desk and next thing I knew, we are being escorted to the beach where we were picked up by a jet ski to a private boat. I didn’t need to plan a thing or even think ahead! On our last day, we were eating breakfast and they waiter brought us a dessert plate with, “have a nice trip” written in chocolate, along with bottled waters for the road. Just the little touches like thinking of the water bottles made the Viceroy so special.

MISC:
-The beach barbeque was unforgettable and magical. It was one of the most romantic meals I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I truly fell in love with the resort at this meal. Sitting at perfectly set table at sunset on the beach, with my toes in the sand listening to live guitar and eating fresh fish by candelight was like something out of a dream.
-The private sunrise yoga class on the pier…unreal! I’m a huge yogi and this class trumped my entire history of yoga practice. The instructor was very good but the setting alone will never be matched.
-Food & drinks- The coco loco and the viceroy (juice) were sooooo delicious! We are big homemade juice drinkers/foodies, and got truly inspired by the all of the homemade juices and smoothies and all of the creativity that went into the menus. We were actually taking notes because the ingredients were such good combinations! No reason to ever leave the resort for a meal.

Negatives: I’m a New Yorker, so I have many opinions but to be honest, there is not much that I can even think of to complain about.
-The mosquito situation is pretty bad there. Obviously because you are in the jungle so next time I would bring some stronger repellant than the ones that were provided by the resort. We appreciated all of the citronella candles and smoking repellant rings but I don’t think it was strong enough to ward off everything that was biting us.
-I’m an animal lover, so I really enjoyed knowing that there were monkeys in the trees and lizards everywhere, but just an fyi, those thatched roofs are permeable, and we were occasionally greeted with droppings on our bed by the lizard that was occupying our roof.
- The plunge pool was GREAT, but after 3 days, it got pretty dirty…although I would NEVER undermine the immaculate job the cleaning service did, the plunge pools could use a bit more attention.

Notes to future guests:
-This is a couples resort and very romantic, if you are planning on going with family and friends, you may want to reconsider.
-Bring bug repellant with DEET!
-Make sure you book a private jungle villa close to the beach, the beach front villas are not private
-You're going to end up eating and drinking a lot because the food is so freakin good! So, just splurge and go for the all inclusive package, you will probably spend more otherwise.
-Take a look at the newsletter every morning provided by the hotel with all of the special packages and daily events, take advantage of EVERYTHING!
-Only $7/day to park your car in valet, and airport transfers are $$$$$$

That said…I look forward to returning MANY more times to the Viceroy Riveria Maya! Worth every peso and then some!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a private jungle villa close to the beach, the beach front villas are not private
1  Thank Rachel S

Dear Rachel S,
I appreciate that you have taken the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
We feel very happy that you have had such a great time at our romantic hideaway. The layout that offers our resorts as well as our special areas that you kindly point out, such as our corner’s painters gives you the options that you need to be around and enjoy each one of them while you feel like you have the resort for yourself.
We try to anticipate our guest needs and it is always very nice to hear comments where we have accomplish it. Our staff is more than willing to go beyond in order to make sure that you have a wonderful and memorable stay.
We try to improve and create culinary experiences where our guest will be surprised and at the same time have the opportunity to enjoy a great atmosphere in our different spots.
The mosquitoes represent a challenge and we will be working on this to minimize as much as possible its effect.
Thank you again for your comments and it will be a pleasure to have you back whenever you have an opportunity.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

This is the most amazing hotel in Yucatan. It has the most incredible rooms, environment, location, the beach is perfect. The only thing that beats all this is the staff which is amazing. If you are looking for a destination to get away from it all this is the place. My wife and I will be back for sure next year.

Room Tip: they are all great

Dear Drew1006,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
It really makes us feel very proud to hear such a great comments not only about our property but about the staff. Our resort offers unique characteristic with everything that you might need to have a wonderful stay but it is always our staff that receives the best compliments.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

My wife and I recently got married at the Viceroy Riviera Maya and we highly recommend this resort as a premier resort and destination wedding. From the minute we stepped on the property, we were treated like royalty and felt at home. This resort is unlike the large scale Mexican resorts, because all of the villas are separate rooms surrounded by a jungle oasis. Our room was completely private from other guests. We felt like we were by ourselves.

Not only are the grounds immaculate, but the food and service were excellent. We highly recommend the fish tacos, La Marea ceviche, Micheladas and the Antojeria. In addition, the service is outstanding and attentive. They literally wait on you hand and foot.

As for our wedding, we would not have changed a thing. The hotel provided us a wedding coordinator, Laura Reyes, who is extremely helpful and responsive. Even though we did not buy out the Viceroy, we still felt like we had the resort to ourselves.

Overall, we and our guests had an amazing time. Whether you are sleeping under one of the palapas, eating by the beach or lounging in your plunge pool, you cannot miss staying here. So, if you are looking for an ideal vacation getaway or a special wedding destination, the Viceroy Riviera Maya is perfect.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear BH_BK123,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent trip to the Riviera Maya.
First of all, thank you for choosing Viceroy Riviera Maya to celebrate your weeding.
With 41 Villas, we provide the perfect setting to have such a special event accompanied by your friends and family.
You definitely can enjoy the privacy and excellent service, since our staff is always looking to anticipate our guest needs to make your stay a truly unique experience.
It is always very rewarding to receive such a great comments about our staff.
We look forward to host you again, hopefully in your first anniversary!
Truly yours,

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Originally, my wife and I had planned to go out and around but we had such a relaxing time at the resort we never left the property. I agree with the other comments that the service from the staff was incredible. From the time they met us when our car pulled up to the time they loaded us up to leave, the service never missed a beat. The staff in the spa, the restaurants, and at the beach were incredible. They were friendly and attentive without being annoying. It was great.

On top of that, the physical resort is also terrific. Even after seeing the pictures on the website, we were really impressed by the individual villas. The private little pools on each villas back patio next to your own hammock and outdoor couch were awesome. The rooms and bathrooms and were large and super comfortable with everything we needed.

The other nice thing is that this place is quiet and peaceful. Because you're in your own villa, you can't hear any of the other guests. With no kids allowed and only about 40 villas there is enough room for everyone staying there to lie at the beach or hit the restaurant or the pool whenever you need without having to crawl over a thousand other people hanging around.

I've stayed at several different places up and down the Cancun-Playa del Carmen area but as long as they keep the quality of the Viceroy up to what we saw last week I won't stay anywhere else on future trips.

p.s. A few people have mentioned the mosquitos and we found the same thing. You'll want to make sure that you spray on some bug repellant while you're there.

11  Thank CXR_12

Dear CRX_12,
I would like to thank you for sharing your comments about your recent trip to Viceroy Riviera Maya.
The layout of our property allow our guest to have not only the privacy they are looking for but also to being close enough of our different areas within a pleasantly walking distance among our paths, which are surrounded by jungle vegetation.
Once that you are in our property we take care of pampered each one of our guest, so practically there is no need to being around when you can be relaxing in our pool, having a massage or just having a drink at our pool side bar.
We thank you again for such a wonderful comments and look forward to have you back.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We visited Viceroy in August 2012 right after storm Ernesto and the place was perfect. You would have never known a storm had just passed by. The property was perfect. The sand, the grounds were all manicured.

From the minute you step out of your taxi when you arrive, to the time you leave...you will love every minute of your stay. I never write reviews but this place is worth it. I have to agree with Ronan K. Viceroy Riveria Maya is wonderful, beautiful place!

The property, the rooms and the STAFF are all wonderful and if you go, you have to make sure to order a drink from Pepe. Pepe is great!

P.S. This place is so amazing, we are considering having our wedding there!

Room Tip: Every room is wonderful!
2  Thank Look2MeNow

Dear Look2meNow,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding about your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
We would like to thank you for consider us as a venue to celebrate your weeding.
I totally agree with you about the staff, that is one of our most valuable pillars in our resorts and have shared your comments already with them.
Our villas have a special atmosphere where you feel in your own paradise amidst the jungle.
It will be a real pleasure to host such a special event for you.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2012

What separates this hotel from the rest is the service and staff. If you're looking to be pampered, this is the place to be. The villas are spacious, quiet and private and I believe every villa has its own private pool, at least ours did. We were very impressed with the level of service the Viceroy offered and how attentive the staff was to the smallest detail. While eating at the outdoor restaurant (by the way, the food was delicious!), we decided to “hold” a couple of lounge chairs by leaving our magazines and lotions on them. After finishing our meals, we returned and were pleasantly surprised to find our lounge chairs covered with clean towels done by the staff. Viceroy is also the only hotel (from what we can see) with a pier extending out to the water. You can take a dip or lounge out which has a feeling of being on your own little island. If you do take a dip and upon your walk back to the beach, you’ll be greeted by a staff member at the end of the pier holding clean towels for you to dry off with. Now THAT’S SERVICE!!! We will be definitely recommending the Viceroy to our family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends