“Truly paradise!!!”

Ranked #13 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
new jersey
“Truly paradise!!!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I went to viceroy to celebrate my 50th bday with my boyfriend... from our arrival natalia was so warm and friendly and showed us all over the property and even made sure we had all of our plans taken cared of.. she was amazing!!! I cant say enough about pepe an francisco .. they are both truly amazing and they will make sure your drinks are never empty... such hard workers they are the best!!!! I loved this place so much it was everything you could dream of and the villa jungle was perfect and private.. massages with the waterfall were so unreal and the staff who i want to thank cant do enough for u... i will be back there again.. Thank u viceroy for making my birthday so special.. XO

Room Tip: I liked the jungle villas very private.
1 Thank sushibear
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Sushibear,
The staff of Viceroy Riviera Maya is helpful and friendly, and when combined with the activities that are available on property it is difficult to beat. It certainly is something special to receive such compliments and we look very much forward for your visit to celebrate your 51st BDay! Thanks so much for your review.
Viceroy Riviera Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Hebrew first
NYC area
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This was quite the resort! I stayed for 5 days with my daughter and we had an amazing time. Our villa (#27) was gorgeous. Secluded with our own small pool and even an outdoor shower. (Indoor one too) beautiful surrounding in the jungle. The beach beautiful with comfortable chaises, and cabanas. Pool so pretty.

A few glitches (not negatives, but glitches): cabanas were taken by 7:30 a.m. Plenty of chairs but if you didn't get to the beach very very early, no beautifully shaded cabanas available. Early risers I guess.

Only 2 restaurants and since the resort is rather isolated (a plus) it's easier to eat there. But it gets monotonous and choices are so limited. Also, the concierge was adamant no reservations at the restaurants but that's not the case. At La Marea (the more elegant of the the 2 restaurants) they do in fact take reservations. We found that out when we tried to have dinner there and were told an hour or more wait. There were empty tables so I asked and was told,they were reserved. So be aware and make your reservations for that restaurant.

Big big big plus: the service and the staff. They were amazing. Remembered your name, friendly, eager to provide the best service. Charming all the time. From the wait staff, to housekeeping, to the beach staff, Some of the most professional and outstanding service I've had. Cannot say enough about them all!

The gym is clean and air conditioned, the spa first rate. All in, a fantastic experience and vacation for both my 24 year old daughter and for myself!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear sbfmom,
“Absolute Fantastic”, we appreciate these kind words. We are very happy you and your daughter enjoyed your time at Viceroy Riviera Maya and that you found it to be a relaxing and peaceful location. This is one of the most noticeable things - that feeling of peace and tranquility and our friendly staff eager to assist you with anything. We are working in daily specials besides off menu to offer a variety in our daily menus. Thank you again for your very positive response.
Setauket, NY
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just returned from Viceroy Playa Del Carmen where we went for our wedding anniversary and Valentine's Day. First time at this property although we have stayed at the sister hotel in Zihuateneo several times and loved that experience.

Playa Del Carmen is different physically from its West Coast counterpart, no hills or mountains and more of a jungle feel especially first thing in the morning with the bird calls and daily visits from the Squirrel Monkeys who have an entirely unique sound, a call and respond.

The hotel was wonderful. From the moment you set foot in the lobby and inhale the sage or incense you start to relax. One of our suitcases had been left behind in Newark and the staff, accommodating and eager to help all the time, made sure it was in our villa the very next day. We were given a brief tour of the grounds. The tour itself was well practiced and designed to introduce you to the staff and various facilities along the way.

Our Villa was just what we wanted, private with an outdoor shower, a spacious bathroom and a large bed and sitting area. We had one problem with the air conditioning that was fixed within 48 hours but we were always comfortable with the overhead fan.

The beach and restaurants provided most of the sustenance we needed for the next week. We went off property twice, once to Playa Del Carmen for dinner (highly recommend this) and one night to the Rosewood Resort for dinner at their Italian restaurant which was fantastic. The restaurants at the hotel were quite good and as always, the service staff was very attentive.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay and certainly recommend this hotel. Pepe, Francisco, Jose at the bar, Miguel at breakfast and the office staff, Natalia and the others were truly dedicated to making this stay top notch.

1 Thank MatthewGlassman
Dear MatthewGlassman,
Thank you so much for your very positive and descriptive review. We appreciate you telling others how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Congratulations again on your Anniversary and we look forward to you visiting us again....perhaps for the next anniversary!
Warm regards,
Taormina
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Our first but certainly not our last trip to The Viceroy.
A jungle paradise with roomy villas set in a jungle environment with plunge pool. Romantic outdoor shower with home made soaps, and huge comfy bed.
Jungle walkways lead to the beautiful azure sea and white sandy beach.
Pepe on the beach was a complete star pampering us all day long.
Excellent restaurant and beach bar and the best granola I have had anywhere.
Very sad to return to wet and windy UK

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Elizabeth H,
Thank you for your very positive review and for telling others about all the things you enjoyed at Viceroy Riviera Maya. We are very happy you had a great visit with us. Pepe and the entire team look forward for the opportunity to host you again in your next trip to Riviera Maya.
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We just returned from our 4th visit to the Viceroy Riviera Maya and it was fantastic - as it has been each and every time. Everything about it is top notch - from the secluded, luxury villas to the uncrowded, private beach setup. Oh, and the food? It's amazing too. Topping it off is the highest level of service, lead by Pepe - who always makes us feel so welcome. He's the best.
If you are looking for a place to play beach volleyball or have loud parties, look elsewhere. But, if you want to enjoy a restful, luxurious week on the beach, this is the place meant for you!

Dear crothstein,
We are grateful for your very positive review and want to thank you for taking the time to review us. Our staff really enjoys interacting with our guests and strives to provide the best service possible. We look forward for your 5th visit. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Warm Regards,
Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The Viceroy is an upscale beachfront collection of well appointed huts each with plunge pool, outdoor private shower and wonderful amenities. Most of the 60 or so units are situated along a network of concrete paved paths through the "jungle" and are craftily arranged for maximum visual privacy. Beware the "upgrade" to an ocean front or ocean view unit. The view is two-way, you and your companion, fully on display, a dip in the pool, in the nude, not here, no way, a thatched screen hung, but peek-a-boo, I see you, we can play. I think it's units 50, 51 and 52. Aha, look at the picture on the website for the Oceanview Villa King Bed with "Private" Plunge Pool. In picture 3 of 4 you see the concrete path that EVERYONE uses in the left lower quadrant; and picture 4 of 4 gives you your view of the casual dining restaurant, resort pool and the Caribbean beyond. Now take the Google guy and walk him over to the canopied dining area, yeah look over here now, incredible dining venue with the sea on one side and a couple frolicking (I like that word) on their deck, diving in the plunge pool... oh Honey dear, I can't wait for dinner.

Under the "Sun Sea and Solitude 35% Off" deal, the jungle King (1000 square feet) is $540 while the Look-At-Us Oceanview King (1700 sq ft) is nearly twice that at $1065. Sure, it's a shorter walk from the viewable King Bed to The Beach, And if you are an exhibitionist, it's probably quite exciting, but a 97.2% premium for the privilege? When we do the webcam thing WE get paid. Okay, my olfactoral protuberance got a bit longer that time and you noticed, so you are right, we don't do that, but... dang.

When we go to the Caribbean there are some things we like: Caribbean breeze, surf sounds and steel drum bands. You see those awesome sliding doors that open from the bed room to the deck with plunge pool. They are really cool, You can close out the outside and turn on the AC (there's glass sliders) OR you can push those aside and have louvered screened sliders instead. But the louvers don't stay open - we had the staff rustle up some small blocks of wood to hold the louvers open. Tuck them in the bottom corners of each louvered section.

Thus arranged you can now here the sounds,feel a breeze. Other guests and staff wandering by your hut, the pounding rhythm from the The Fives next door, and if you wait till 2 a.m. you'll hear the surf. Check out the location on Maps.G***.com you'll see the The Fives or Cinque right next to the restaurant and boutique shop area. It makes for a um lively Friday or Saturday night. But probably not what one buy's into.

Beware the minibar. We got snookered by the placement of Coffee pods for the Nespresso machine in the crackers part of the Mini-Bar menu. $5 per pod. You know how Coffee is a complimentary room amenity in most places? We know because we like to enjoy a private cup of coffee together, waking up to each other, and in our maturing state, the active ingredients helps get our ingredients activated. Nothing like my babe with two cups of coffee coming over to the King size bed to get me and mine interested. Yes, they took the charges for coffee off the bill.

We didn't touch the other stuff in the minibar.

Bar, yeah, that reminds me, for great drinks, great atmosphere, an entertaining and Ingles habla-ing tender, by pass the onsite facility, hit the beach, turn left (northward) and stop in at the first functional facility Petit Lafitte Hotel with a beachfront bar and well made Margaritas... I, heck we, went to Maragaritaville and back on less than $30. Then we ate the prix fix complete dinner with buffet salad and dessert for $60 total. Not elegant, and not magnificent, but I was already in Margaritaville with my babe. ;-)

Back to the Viceroy. I am not a good 5 star client, I hate being waited on hand and foot, I hate having staff see me and yield the path to me while they wait patiently for us to amble by. I like to carry my own bags (we pack light so there's not much too them). I can spread my own towel on the chaise should I want to. Oh, I get it, they don't want my cooties getting on the chaise itself, aha. That's why they need to slide it under me before I actually make contact.

So it's a pretty good place for the couple thing - but it really depends on what else you want to do. Looking at the packaging - if elegant dining by the water is up your alley do the Mayan Indulgence - dinner is included as are some drinks and breakfast and lunch - plan on a little walk from Hut to Beach and back each time you forget something. If sunbathing au naturelle and other private fun in the sun is key, upgrade to the Royal Villa with Sundeck for another $170/night... that gives increased indoor space by 500 sq ft too, more room to chase around in, we did not need it though we were upgraded to that size.

If you have a daily itinerary of diving, ruins strolling, and dining / shopping in Playa del Carmen, then get the breakfast included and drop the $100 certificate on one dinner at the Viceroy.

Make sure you get a breakfast included package, the pricing is ridiculous otherwise. And if you have an itinerary for the day, give these folks a lot of time to process you through the whole breakfast routine. The dinner menu looked good enough, and we had a few things from it, but were not suitably impressed.

Room Tip: Avoid ocean view, get a jungle room halfway back - the 1000 sf rooms are fine, 1500 sf are unnecess...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sterilecuckoo58
Minneapolis
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We are writing our review while still at the Viceroy because we want to share what a spectacular vacation we've had. The food is all amazing, the service is fantastic (Pepe in particular) and the accommodations are 5 star. We have been here a week and have been so happy with every second. Because we were on our honeymoon the staff went above and beyond and left rose petals with candles around our pool and bed. It was a beautiful touch.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple