“Just lovely!”

Viceroy Riviera Maya
Ranked #13 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Very nice, intimate, quiet, clean. Excellent service! Food was good and the cabins were classy and comfortable, private pool was lovely. Definitely worth it!........................................................................

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nanna K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from Viceroy a few days ago and I am still glowing from our trip! First of all, the resort is just spectacular. Private, romantic, luxurious, it's a perfect getaway for couples of all ages. Each private room is a stand alone bungalow complete with a private plunge pool (you can select how warm you would like the water!), a terrace and outdoor shower. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. All of this with a lush, green tropical backdrop. The resort is quaint enough that all rooms are an easy walk to the spectacular pool and beach area. It was never a problem finding a comfy lounger at the pool or beach, even though the resort was at full capacity. Edgar was always one step ahead with towels ready to set up our beach beds for the day!

The luxurious amenities are second only to the service. I have never been made to feel so special at a resort. Every employee, from the manager to the gardeners, were so polite and friendly and helpful. Although the entire staff was spectacular, I would like to specially thank Pepe, who brought us drinks and lunch on the beach every day. His super friendly and eager to assist attitude made us able to truly relax. Francisco and Umberto were also particularly accommodating and Pablo, one of the managers, went out of his way to make this trip special.

I would not only recommend this resort but I look forward to returning again in the near future. We found a perfect balance of fun and privacy, luxury without arrogance, and service beyond anything we've ever experienced.

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracie V
Reviewed 31 March 2014

You are provided your own private casita and each nought they surprise you with romantic rose petals and candles around your room and private plunge pool. I surprised my wife with a 25th wedding anniversary recommitment ceremony. Daniella, our concierge worked on every last detail including bringing in a fabulous minister Enrique. The service is above five star in every way and that includes beach service. We have been to some very nice places before, but Viceroy is a new standard of first class. They made sure it was a big surprise as well and added so many personal touches they are too numerous to mention. Pepe and Francisco are the beach servers and they add to the fun and best in class treatment as well.

Room Tip: The private sun deck may be shaded so if you want to hang out there for sun tanning, check on one wi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTM926
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

I went with my wife last year for a honey moon celebration. Service is more than excelent. The tropical atmosphere the hotel provides is amazing. The attention is personalized and the personnel is always trying to help you have a better stay. I would definitely advise you to purchase the all inclusive package in advance.

There is no downside with this hotel. I would certainly return!!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Warmth surrounded me in more ways than one on my joyous return to what I fondly refer to as my new home away from home. As I experienced this paradise last in 2008, which was fabulous I must say that this visit, time did stand still and I was able to defrost from the cold Boston winter that began to wear on my body and spirit. After a truly amazing body treatment called the Trilogy in the spa's jungle room by Carla, as the sun was setting, followed by a nice steam and then an outdoor shower. To then have a wonderful dish of prepared by the chef exactly how I wanted was really nice to say the least. Twenty four hour room service set up by the pool with soothing sounds from the Bose sound system filling my oh so stylish villa plus the lovely music of the jungle made for an unforgettable evening. - My overall overview of this wonderful luxurious gem in the jungle is the way they made me feel because each and everyone who participated in my "total" experience truly cares about my experience and once that was created I could exhale even more and unwind from busy my professional life. All this makes me want to come back as soon as possible! My ever so slight suggestions for improvement in no way deterred from my overall experience. And for this I am grateful, to have all that and the added value of sun and warmth and beach and sand. Wow!! Why stay anywhere else when I'm made to feel like a queen of my own little castle!!!! Thank you. Laura -Boston, Massachusetts.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2014

PROS:
First, let me start by saying the service was really top notch. They go above and beyond for you and do whatever they possibly can to accommodate everything you want (within their power). Daniella our concierge was especially fantastic as was the majority of the staff. The really do go above and beyond.

Also, the resort is really beautiful. Great beach and pool setting, your own private plunge pool and hammock, outdoor shower, etc. Really nice. Lots of fun stuff to do nearby. We rented a catamaran and went snorkeling with our group and the Cenotes were BEAUTIFUL.

CONS:
The rooms are kinda warm and damp. Despite putting my air conditioner setting to the coldest temperature (66 degrees), the room never got colder than 76. Might sound ok, but when its SO hot and muggy, sleeping in 76 degrees just doesnt cut it. Can you guys upgrade your AC units?

Some bugs can make their way in from time to time, but hey, you're staying in a JUNGLE resort so for the people who complained about the bugs on here, I'd say get over yourself. These people can't control mother nature. If being in the jungle freaks you out (i.e. seeing some bugs, monkeys, birds, etc.) - DONT STAY IN A JUNGLE RESORT!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask to stay in a room where the AC gets cold.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jdosh14
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My one and only complaint was that there was no coffee maker in my villa. Of course, when I mentioned it to the manager, one magically appeared the next day. Other than that I'd have to say ( as so many have said before me) that this was a dream vacation.

What is different about my review is that while The Viceroy is the quintessential, romantic couples getaway- I was there solo. I was relaxing for a few days after doing business in Cancun. At first, I wondered if it was going to be weird being the only single among so many lovebirds.

Not only was it not weird, but I received-if humanly possible-even more personal attention from the gracious staff. And I learned that it's can be really wonderful nice to take time out to "romance" yourself without having to be responsible for anyone else, which many women never get to experience.

What part of feasting on fabulous meals, unwinding during a top-notch spa treatment, lounging by the pool with a good book while sipping a perfectly made Margarita, walking the uncrowded beach while taking in the coral sunset, DOESN'T work for you?

I was so sad to leave my private villa, my hammock, my hot tub, and my outdoor shower, all hidden in my little corner of the jungle, except that I now know that I found the perfect getaway spot to come back to...and no, it was not just a dream!

Room Tip: I loved my #11 room because it was close to the beach yet still totally private.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo