My husband and I escaped for a quick getaway before the arrival of our baby. We stayed early April from Sunday-Thursday and found the Viceroy to be a perfect, relaxing destination for our needs. We booked a van through the hotel for transportation to and from the airport and both were on time and easy to locate. The concierge also arranged a taxi to take us to Tulum and the cenote one morning as we felt we should explore the area a little while there. The remainder of our days were spent underneath the lovely beach cabanas or swimming in the beautiful pool. We decided to book the all-inclusive package and found the meals to be delicious and varied. Breakfast was particularly scrumptious with many Mexican options as well as variations on traditional options like scrambled eggs with chorizo or tres leches french toast. The Tuesday night street food menu provided a nice alternative from the regular fare. As I mentioned, we stayed early in the week and found the beach to be very quiet. Sure, there was the occasional merchant peddaling something, but none of them approached us under the cabanas and a quick shake of the head would keep them moving down the beach toward the other resorts.
We loved our villa and thoroughly enjoyed sitting outside listening to the birds and watching the monkeys. The plunge pool was very refreshing and a nice alternative to swimming at the main pool. We showered almost exclusively outdoors and the handmade soaps were such a treat to sample! The property is most definitely a beautiful jungle paradise, yet the staff are to be commended for their excellent service and maintenance. Maintenance of this jungle property is no easy feat. The housekeeping and maintenance crews work tirelessly to clear pathways of fallen leaves, clean and service pools, and clean your room when most convenient for you. Edgar at the beach was always one step ahead of us preparing our cabana or even cleaning our sunglasses. The service staff at the restauarants were so friendly and hard-working. Francisco kept us hydrated on the beach and would deliver my husband's beer at noon every day without being prompted. He was so kind and quick to respond to our requests and make suggestions. Gilberto and the dinner staff were very attentive and took excellent care of us at the Coral Grille and La Marea.
The resort is definitely not a fit for those seeking tons of activities, casinos, or entertainment. The resort has a casually elegant feel, which we appreciated. It allowed us to relax, enjoy long days on the beach, leisurely meals by the water, and quiet evenings. We were able to hear music from the Azul Fives property Sunday night, but it was over by 10pm. Many thanks to the Viceroy staff for making our stay so memorable!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 35 minutes from Cancun International Airport and three miles from popular Playa del Carmen, Viceroy Riviera Maya is a serene hideaway set on the turquoise Caribbean amid a lush jungle ambiance. As Riviera Maya’s #1 resort in Conde Nast Traveler’s 2011 Readers’ Choice Awards, Viceroy offers world-class amenities, personalized pampering, exquisitely appointed villa accommodations with private patio and plunge pool, refined Mexican cuisine accented with international touches at La Marea and Mexican-Mediterranean fare at the seaside Coral Grill. Mayan influences abound, from the Mayan Blessing performed on arrival by the resort’s Shaman to the Mayan healing techniques offered at the award-winning spa. A Lagoon Pool, private pier, fitness center and traditional temazcal sweatlodge are among the resort’s many other pleasures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, MrandMrsSmith, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Viceroy Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Tides Riviera Maya Hotel
- Tides Riviera Maya Resort
- Ikal Del Mar
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Mexico - Playa Del Carmen