We were looking for an adults only quick get away over Memorial Day weekend that was low key and relaxing with excellent and efficient service, large private room, and ideally at a smaller resort. Given our shorter stay, we wanted to make sure the on-premises amenities were very inviting.
Goal achieved and paradise found 7 hours from our front door in Chicago where Bali Ha'i meets the Maya. The driver was waiting for us at airport arrivals and had us at the resort in about half an hour. We then spent the next few days relaxing in our large beach palapa, using the spa, dining, and generally loafing about with smiles on our faces.
Food was excellent. Our rule was if we did not know what it was and the preparation was regional: order it....and ceviche...and more ceviche. The octopus and 'catch of the day' dishes were top notch....especially those done in regional preparation. Half the reason I go to the ocean it to be closer to the food. Cocktails were fun and inviting.
Services was very friendly and abundant with multiple people asking what you needed at all times. The beach service crew works very hard and really made our days of rest that much better. Love the real silverware and dishware on the beach. After only a day, staff and guest get to know one another which is nice and a benefit of a smaller resort.
We went with a signature room and it was awesome. Huge outdoor space which is what we wanted. Good privacy. Housekeeping was a full 2 x per day. Once during breakfast and once while you are at dinner. Area were spotless. My wet bare feet over the floor produced no residue so clearly very very clean.
Room price is a value as compared to other resorts in the Caribbean considering you get your own little home, patio, and pool and can walk to the beachfront without a tram.
A nice, later than most, noon checkout was appreciated and driver was waiting to whisk us back to the airport right on time. There is no front desk so arrival and departure are individualized or very small group. They make the process fast and efficient.
Someday, when time allows sans children, we will be back and would like to know what the drink of the day is every day for a week. I've been going down to the area since the early 1980's and would love to, once again, partake in all the area has to offer...but for this trip, we got our taste of the good life at a very unique resort. Keep up the good work!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 35 minutes from Cancun International Airport and three miles from popular Playa del Carmen, Viceroy Riviera Maya is a serene hideaway set on the turquoise Caribbean amid a lush jungle ambiance. As Riviera Maya’s #1 resort in Conde Nast Traveler’s 2011 Readers’ Choice Awards, Viceroy offers world-class amenities, personalized pampering, exquisitely appointed villa accommodations with private patio and plunge pool, refined Mexican cuisine accented with international touches at La Marea and Mexican-Mediterranean fare at the seaside Coral Grill. Mayan influences abound, from the Mayan Blessing performed on arrival by the resort’s Shaman to the Mayan healing techniques offered at the award-winning spa. A Lagoon Pool, private pier, fitness center and traditional temazcal sweatlodge are among the resort’s many other pleasures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Holiday Gems, MrandMrsSmith, LoveHolidays, Travelbag, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Viceroy Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Tides Riviera Maya Hotel
- Tides Riviera Maya Resort
- Ikal Del Mar
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Mexico - Playa Del Carmen