“Fabulous Hotel and Staff”

Ranked #9 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our first stay at Viceroy and it was incredible. The service was outstanding -- the entire staff called us by name from the first day and were so eager to please us. Pepe and Francisco were always there on the beach or by the pool to make sure we were taken care of. The food was excellent, the spa was fabulous!! We are already planning our next trip to Viceroy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DCFloyd
VRMManagement, General Manager at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear DCFloyd,
Thank you for sharing your review about your recent stay. I am extremely happy that you were able to enjoy the natural warmth and hospitality of our team. Our aim is to always provide a variety of excellent food, beverages and a wonderful experience at Wayak Spa to all guests at our home while they are here with us. We look forward to having you back with us in the near future to experience another fabulous experience at our little paradise.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 14 June 2014

If you are looking for a smaller (I think max 92 guests) boutique hotel with excellent service at Playa del Carmen you can stop looking. Me and my wife went there for one week of vacation and to perform a Mayan Ceremony. I don´t know what else to say, other than everything was organized perfectly, the food was great, the service exceptional and extremely nice. They will do everything to make your stay memorable and as relaxing as it can get. The best about this place is the quietness - once you are in the "jungle" going to your apartment it feels like you are far far away from all the noise of big towns. The Spa is great, the beach awesome. Wifi coverage was excellent, too. I can recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quiet place with good people.

3  Thank Herr_herden

Dear Herr_Herden,
Many thanks for taking the time to complete this review of your recent visit to Viceroy Riviera Maya! I believe you truly captured our resort and gave a thorough overview of our staff and the delivery of service. We are all delighted that you had such a fantastic time here with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Cordially,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My fiance and I traveled to the Viceroy for a friend's wedding. We stayed Thursday through Sunday and had a fantastic time. Their service was great, our room was always clean and they refilled water carafes throughout the day. Our dinners were provided by the wedding party but when we ordered breakfast or lunch, we were always pleased! (We highly recommend the nachos and margaritas, they will knock you on your butt though so be careful!) Also, Pepe is a great asset to their team, he was very attentive to us while sitting by the pool and on the beach. We would definitely consider returning to Viceroy Riviera Maya.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Megan M

Dear Megan M,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us at Viceroy Riviera Maya. Our staffs are one of our biggest assets as we try to deliver and maintain a service that is second to none. It is always rewarding to know that we lived up to every aspect of your expectation, from the food, service, down to the cleanliness of your room. We are truly delighted you had such a fantastic time here with us and look forward to welcoming you back very soon to experience once again our jungle refuge.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

kind staff that will go above and beyond to make sure your stay is a memorable one. The food is delicious and every bit as good as other 5 star resorts I have been to in Punta Mita and Western Mexico. The rooms are beautiful with excellent linens, toiletries, and an on-call staff that will see to your every need. The all-inclusive package was a great deal and we were pleased we opted to take the package. The value for the resort far exceeds other high-end resorts in the area and I would encourage anyone travelling to the area to look closely at the Viceroy.

I would go back to the Viceroy for pure relaxation and pampering.

Room Tip: The premium rooms add significant space in the bathroom and were very private and luxurious. Skip t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bradley200

Dear Bradley200,
Thank you for sharing this fantastic review and many thanks for highlighting those aspects of which we take great pride and that is our staff, excellent customer service and the experience of staying here at Viceroy Riviera Maya. We are all delighted that you had such a fantastic time here with us and we look forward to having you back for many more visits.
Best wishes

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I surprised my husband with a trip to Mexico for his birthday. I picked the Viceroy because of the privacy and plunge pools in the room. The property also looked appealing. I don't normally stay places that offer an all inclusive plan but figured I'd try it since we most likely were not leaving the hotel during our stay. It included the mini bar & room service. $816.67 a night including tax & service.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon. We took a private van service to the hotel because I thought the car provided by the Viceroy was extremely expensive. I believe it was $240 (US $) RT plus tax & service. When we arrived to the lush lobby we were greeted with a cold towel and drink. We were shown around the resort and then to our room. About a week before we arrived we were offered an upgrade to a premium villa from the luxury villa for $100 per night plus tax & service. Since it was my husband's birthday I went for the upgrade. When we arrived to the room it was exactly what I was looking for. Total privacy! It was extremely big with an indoor/outdoor shower, huge bathtub, plunge pool, table & chairs, hammock. The room & jungle resort reminded me a bit of Bali. We had fresh cut soap and purified water on our nightstands.
The plunge pool was nice but could have used a good cleaning. Dirty around the bottom & edges. The outdoor seating area was great! We ended up having room service breakfast each morning during our stay. If you're looking for total privacy I would recommend the premium villa. There is a fence around your outdoor area and you are surrounded by lush, tropical trees. We had turn down service every night. The Nespresso machine was a bonus. The mini bar was stocked with the usual items. There were a few insects I'd never seen before but I just smashed them & moved on. We swear he heard a bird at the top of the hut one morning. They offered bug repellent in the room but we never once had an issue with mosquitos. I did see a guy once walking around with a insecticide back pack spraying along the path.
I did see some of the other rooms near the pool & beach and there is absolutely no privacy.

We headed to Coral Grill for drinks. It was a classic beach side bar. We ordered beers, guacamole, and watched the sunset. They were offering a Friday night BBQ on the beach which we tried. We were not impressed. The waiter comes around with a flashlight but it was still hard to see the food. My husband was sick the next day with food poisoning. I was not feeling so well but he threw up 3 times in the room. We think it was the chicken since I didn't eat it. He seemed to feel a little better after getting sick. I planned a 3 hour spa day for us & I think the steam room really helped get the toxins out. The spa was totally relaxing. I had my massage outside which was wonderful but odd since there was someone hammering & drilling on the other side of the fence? It went on for about 30 minutes. Good thing I had the 80 minutes massage. My husband had his indoors and said it was wonderful.
We spent most of our time at the beach. We never had an issue getting loungers under the cabana or without. I only saw/heard the jet skis a few times. No one tried to sell us anything on beach. I never heard the music. As others have said this is not a beach where you can walk right in. Lots of rocks. Pepe and Francisco were both very attentive and we always had cold beers and water.
Our biggest disappointment was the food. Nothing was ever that tasty. We consider ourselves well traveled and eat out twice a week in NYC. Our best meal was breakfast each day. I loved the tropical fruit plate but not the hint of onions. I guess they cut the fruit on the same board with the onions. It was this way everyday except our last breakfast. The pastry basket, granola, yogurt and juices were the best items. At lunch we ate guacamole & chips most of the time. We did try the chipotle salad & shrimp tacos (fried shrimp) which were good. My husband had a burger through room service & said it was good. We went to La Marea one night and it was good not memorable. I brought an amazing wine for my husband's birthday and they charged corkage even though I was on the all inclusive plan. I did try the Sauvignon Blanc from Baja and it was refreshing.

We had an amazing long weekend overall. Despite my husband getting sick he said he had a great time. We relaxed and had a nice birthday weekend away from the kids. The staff was super. They packed up some Mexican pastries to take home to the kids. Would we come back? I think we would but hope they improve the food. I wish they sold the hand cut soap in the gift shop.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pattyinbrooklyn

Dear Pattyinbrooklyn,
Many thanks for sharing your comments from your recent stay at Viceroy Riviera Maya. We encourage and appreciate all guest feedback as it enables us to tweak and make adjustments to any issues in our continued efforts to provide our guests with an exceptional holiday experience. We are working really hard to improve on every level and are passionate about being the best we can be by maintaining our standards. Our team is already working on the points you have highlighted and we hope you will consider us next time you are planning your next holiday to our beautiful romantic hideaway in the Riviera Maya.
Once again, I do appreciate your valuable feedback.
Best regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here as part of a quick weekend getaway. We chose the hotel because we wanted a luxury resort and they were running a 40% off special on their rooms. We stayed in a Royal Villa, which was beautiful and very private. The good things about this resort are the spa (my massage was wonderful), the restaurant staff and the food (the mixed ceviche is awesome), the layout of the rooms (at least my room, some I wouldn't want to stay in because they are not private and anyone walking by can see you and your honey on the deck and in the plunge pool), the gift shop (the lady that runs it is very nice), and some of the thoughtful amenities (like handmade soap, courtesy bug spray, etc). The bad things though, some might find pretty awful (especially for the price). These include: the room leaking in multiple places, including the bed, whenever it storms (the rooofs are made of some sort of straw material, many have tarps, but those blow around and then there are leaks); the LOUD music coming from the neighboring hotel every evening (we stayed Thursday - Sunday and every night the neighboring resort plays loud obnoxious music from their roof, where they have a club. One night the Viceroy served a 4 course meal on the beach, and if you were looking for a relaxing, calming experience you were out of luck because you were bombarded with the pop, rap, and hip hop blaring next door); and the front desk/butler service/conceirge which was sometimes good but other times irritating depending on who picked up the phone (to be honest, this just may be me because I compare everything to the service at the Four Seasons in Costa Rica which is one of my absolute favorite resorts. It just seemed like whenever you asked for something, which you are encouraged to do, if you got the wrong person, it would seem more like you were getting on their nerves.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the spa and away from the beach are more private.
3  Thank Sarah W

Dear Sarah W,
I sincerely apologize for this unfortunate experience you encountered as this is certainly not our usual standard. We have taken your remarks very seriously and remedial action has been taken to correct such. We are not always perfect, but when we disappoint we try to fix what went wrong.
I do wish to thank you for your constructive comments. We truly hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Viceroy Riviera Maya in the near future, as we are confident that we can far exceed your expectations by providing you with the true Viceroy Riviera Maya experience in its entirety.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Beautiful, secluded property with a courteous and helpful staff. I hope to return for another stay with the Viceroy and encourage interested travelers to book their stay immediately. Outdoor shower was the highlight of my stay.

Room Tip: Please book away from beach. It will give you more privacy.
1  Thank John P

Dear John P,
Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our hotel and staff with your positive feedback. I'm pleased to learn that you had a wonderful stay at Viceroy Riviera maya. Nothing is more heart-warming than learning that we have made a new fan!
We look forward to seeing you on your next trip.
Best regards