“Paradise”

Viceroy Riviera Maya
Ranked #14 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I found this hotel while searching for someplace out of the ordinary for my honeymoon. I was lured by the beautiful photos on the website and convinced my husband we HAD to go. We initially booked for three nights and planned to travel to an all-inclusive down the road for an additional week. We booked The Tides at the start of our vacation "in case" we were disappointed and had the AI to look forward to. Boy, we were mistaken! The Tides is paradise on earth. Everything was more beautiful than we imagined.

Our villa was 14 (and later 18) which was close to the pool and ocean. We ventured into the plunge pool daily, though I could not flee from the bugs and therefore was back inside the villa fairly quickly. My husband had no problems with bugs- luckily the villa was a safe haven for me. The bed was cozy and the bathroom was nice for two. The soaps and oils were divine. Service was outstanding from the moment we woke up with coffee and tea on our patio, to the assistance on the beach with our chairs/towels to the lovely open air restaurant for anytime dining. We desired quiet, beautiful surroundings and relaxation and that is exactly what The Tides gave us.

Upon arriving at the AI, we immediately called our travel agent and requested he get us back to The Tides. Two days later we were welcomed back warmly by the whole staff and completed our honeymoon in peace and contentment. This beautiful boutique was a splurge, but we enjoyed every moment of it and plan on returning as soon as we are able.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank beachaddict_10
007PDC, Head Butler at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2010

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Beachaddict,
On behalf of the entire staff of The Tides I want to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing such a special occasion with others.
It is fantastic to hear that your honeymoon was so memorable that you even came back after trying other options in the area. Touching the hearts and souls of all of our guests is our mission.
Regarding the mosquitoes we do fumigate twice a day the entire property but at the end we share the beauty of our property with nature, we will reinforce this procedure to try to avoid this for future guests.
Again thank you and we look forward to host you again in the very near future.

jorge.gutierrez@thetidesresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed 12 January 2010

First time we were there for our honeymoon, second time because it was a wonderful destination.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Tom Danger,
Thank you for choosing The Tides Riviera Maya in this second visit to the area, we are committed to delivering impeccable service to every single guest and make every stay a memorable one, it is very important for us to create those special memories even with repeat guests.
Again thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.

Reviewed 9 January 2010

I enjoyed spending 7 days over the Christmas Holiday at the Tides. This trip was my third visit to this resort. I’m a traveler who usually likes to visit a resort twice and then it seems to loss its charm. So was a little concerned the Tides would not live up to the expectation for a 3rd time. However that was not the case. Not only did the Tides meet expectations they exceeded my expectations which is often not easy to do with me. As I travel quiet often to the Caribbean and Mexico, I am starting to see the affects of the recession in the way the resorts are being maintained – or should I say “not” maintained. However, this is not the case at the Tides. I was so pleased so see that this resort is listening to the comments of the guests and providing upgrades that make the resort so nice. New lighting has been provided in the Villas, more plantings and vegetation added for enhanced privacy of the Villas, and some nice extras in the outdoor shower areas have also been provided.

Some thoughts that may not have been mentioned on other reviews - - Don’t be shy about asking what costs what. I like to know what I am paying for so I openly ask the staff and let them know what my preferences are. I also asked them to provide my food charges at the end of the day, not for each meal in that I didn’t want to review the bill more than once a day. If they know your requests, they will certainly accommodate the request. I really enjoy sitting outside at night at the Villa, so I asked for additional citronella candles and they arrived in about 5 minutes. They are very responsive to your requests so that you have the best vacation ever. I also heard a few guests speaking about how nice their pool was in that they requested it to stay a warmer temperature during the evening. I would also recommend at least one treatment at the spa in that the expereince was really good!

A reminder that the ocean in front of the resort has more of a “west Mexico feel” and is more rocky – very pretty but rocky. Just walk up the beach about 50 yards and there is a great open white sandy beach area that is great for swimming. It is just as nice as Maroma Beach with pretty clear water.

The staff is exceptional at this resort. I started going to this resort two years ago and did enjoy seeing the same people working there as before and – yes – they did remember me from my other visits! I usually like to try different places around the Caribbean and Mexico and have been let down by some of the newer larger resorts that recently opened in Riveria Maya. I have to admit that I’ve found the perfect spot for relaxation and that I’m going to returning here for most of my vacations. Feel from to email me with any questions.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank BeachBabe121

Dear Ms. BeachBabe 121

We deeply thank you for visiting us for the third time in a row; it is always a pleasure for us to host our guests in our little jungle retreat.
On behalf of all the Tides Riviera Maya staff we deeply appreciate your preference and that is the reason we always try to improve our guests experience and keeping our property well kept and listening our guest’s comments is the only way to do it.
I know this is also the third review you give us and that loyalty is much appreciated from us.
We will be keeping your preferred lounge chair by the pool available for your next visit.

Reviewed 4 January 2010

I stayed with my girlfriend Dec 27 to Jan 2. I have been to dozens of the best resorts in the world (4 Seasons, Mandarin, Ritz, Aman) and this place absolutely belongs in the top 3. The property is amazing, the rooms incredible, beautiful beach, but what really sets these guys apart is the service. The people working there just care 100% about making your stay as amazing as possible. And you never have that feeling that you sometimes have even at the top places of "if only I could get this right now". From setting up dinner on the beachfront if you feel like it, to anticipating anything you might like (my bald head needed a hat, they grabbed me for one within 2 minutes), recommending incredible mexican wines (I'm a wine snob but had never tasted mexican, incredible values and fun to try). We did an impromptu tequila tasting and got a lesson in history of tequila from bartender. I could go on and on. Also completely recommend 2 sides trips that they arrange 1) swimming with the dolphins had even the most jaded traveler smiling like a kid and 2) private guide to see Tulum and swim in a cenote (flooded caves filled with fresh water). My only complaint at all is the chef needs a bit of help on cooking fish up to the best culinary standards (came out overcooked or without any kind of interesting sauces).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beachguy321

Dear Mr. Beachguy321,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.
We know we not only compete with resorts in the area but worldwide; that is why our main goal is to exceed every single expectation our gests may have.
Part of the Tides experience is to try the best of Mexico and that is reflected in our Mexican boutique wine selection.
Regarding your comment about your dinning experience please know we always review our product and this was already passed to our Executive Chef so we can take proactive actions to avoid this situation with you and future guests.

Jorge Gutiérrez · Head Butler
Quintana Roo · 77710 México
T +52 984 877 3000, ext. 0 · M +52 984 807 7839 · F +52 984 877 3009

Reviewed 4 January 2010

My husband and I visited this resort after tiring of the awful food at most AI's. While we were a little unsure as we were arriving to the property because of the bumpy road and questionable location it seemed we were heading, from the moment we stepped out of the car at the Tides we were completely spoiled. Oscar greeted us and provided a cool towel and beverage, and proceeded to show us the resort and to our room. It seemed as if he knew personally every guest that he spoke to along our tour, and we quickly found out that that is indeed how it became for us. You really do come to know all of the staff on a first name basis, and I was always surprised how Manuel, the beach bartender, always remembered EXACTLY how we liked our margaritas. He would even bring us one down to the beach according to our personal tastes before we could ever even get up to ask for it. But that sums up the Tides Riviera Maya perfectly. I regret that I cannot remember the server who was in the outdoor restaurant by name, but he was just as wonderful and seemed to remember what on the menu we had already tried and could suggest something different so that we were able to try everything. And speaking of the food....absolutely delicious. Now my husband and I are more adventurous in our eating preferences and subscribe to the "When in Rome..." philosophy, so if you are the type to want a hamburger or ribeye while on vacation out of the US, you may not be so delighted with the food. It is delicious but is very authentic, which is one reason we both loved it so much. I live near Memphis and enjoy barbecue there, but would never expect for it to be wonderful in some other vacation spots. Going back to the service, if you decide you would like breakfast by the pool, or lunch on the beach, they will completely set up for you to enjoy your meal. Out comes a table, linens, silverware....they completely pamper you. The spa is beautiful and serene and the treatments I had, which included a couples massage and a facial, were wonderful. They will even send someone down to find you on the beach to remind you of your appointment. Overall, if I had to nitpick, two of the four cardio machines in the small gym were not working while we were there as I did try to keep some sort of exercise regime while I was there. I never tried the yoga but definitely will make a point of it if I ever have the opportunity to return, which I fully plan to do. My husband and I have two small children who we absolutely adore, but we did want a peaceful and quietly relaxing getaway, which we more than received on our trip. In my opinion, there is no reason to leave the resort.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mkem1234
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I rely heavily on trip advisor and it's been spot on with many of our trips, so I want to return the tips and reviews from my own experience in order to inform other travelers....THANKFULLY I had read about the bumpy dirt road leading to the resort or else I would have panicked in fear that we were being kidnapped...it was dark when we arrived and the road is as bad as it gets ~ pitch dark, huge pot holes from construction trucks, it swirls through trash lined dirt "roads" behind shacks and through thick scarey mangroves then you back into a small courtyard to The Tides "lobby" and are greeted with a drink and a cold towel...ahhhh what a relief to get out of the car and off that road.

The Tides was rated #2 in Mexico by Traveler so we decided to try it out for my birthday. We wanted to read and relax, eat and drink wine and be alone....and that is exactly what we did, first class! We were one of 3 couples at the entire resort the whole 5 days we stayed. They have to be losing money big time but the service and staff were definately on their game in all areas.

The food was awesome and we are big foodie's, the wine list is limited with a lot of Mexico wine which we tried a few nights but reverted back to a few we preferred from California and Argentina.

This resort is tucked into a jungle and is narrow with only 2 villas close to the pool and beach, others are far back into the property and a walk to the restaurant/pool and beach ~ so I'd say to look at a hotel map before you go. We stayed in villa 11 which is actually the first villa closest to the beach area. And I requested this one upon making the reservation.

Each morning, coffee, tea and croissants were delivered to our porch, which was so nice to wake up to. We didn't use our plunge pool much, but they did heat it for us one evening, on request. I saw a brown long gross snake outside our porch one afternoon and our sweet butler Oscar told me the brown one's are okay but "just don't pet the green ones" LOL...it's the jungle so I expected some creepy crawlers...I must say there are a lot of flea type thingy's & mesquito's everywhere...lot's of fly's too...even the spray couldn't keep them off of us...we swatted a lot but hey it's the jungle so what, it's paradise and we were not going to let this get to us.

We loved the tranquility and seclusion, but I think Maroma is my favorite hotel in the Riviera Maya area. Their beach is soft and has no rocks, whereas The Tides, is all rocky and we never attempted to go in, it was brown colored too...which is not like other beaches in the area, kind of a dissappointment. Had we not gotten the 30% off rate I wouldn't have been able to justify the cost, but all in all it was a great trip....a romantic setting and wonderful vibe of sweetness from the staff and lush tropical foliage. Hope this helps anyone looking to go here....

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ilovemaxy
007PDC, Head Butler at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2009

Dear guest

Thank you for writing such a descriptive review that will surely help others make their decisions to come with us.

It is important for us that our guests feel totally pampered and secluded from others and I trust you got that feeling staying with us.

In behalf of all the team we want to thank you for visiting The Tides and hope to see you back again in our little piece of paradise.

Warm regards

Jorge Gutierrez - Head Butler
THE TIDES RIVIERA MAYA
Quintana Roo• 77710
T+529848773000 F+529848773009

Reviewed 19 November 2009

We had the vacation of a lifetime. Staff was amazing. They made every meal we had seem like it was custom for us. We had tables set for us next to the pool, and when it rained, on a point overlooking the property. The rooms were fantastic and very private. The housekeepers made the most amazing art from towels every night. This place is just plain romantic. No kids, quiet, private plunge pools,...ahhhh. It was over too soon, which I have now determined is how I want all my vacations to be.

We went into Playa Del Carmen several times for a walk up 5th, which is a must. Yes every shop keeper tries everything in their power to grab you in, but keep a smile and their jokes roll out. It started to rain and we ducked in to a massage spa and got 2 hour deep tissue massages for $100 US including tip. Do follow the insights on food in PDC from this site. One thing for sure is have the concierge hook you up with another couple and split the plane to Chitzen Itsa. You get there in 35 minutes, transfers and guided tour included and you are done just as the tour busses arrive. Bring your suits and towel as the Cenote you hit as a part of the tour is a perfect place to cool off, trust me, you will want to get wet. Skip the buffet there however..YUCK! We were back in PDC by 2PM. Diving at the resort was VERY expensive, but if you demand one on one service, I guess it was worth it. The Cenotes were a novelty and certainly worth the dive, but can't match the reefs. No place better for a romantic get away.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoCalChill_Axer

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. You surely took advantage of our trademark “dine anywhere, at anytime” which was established for guests to enjoy the meals at the pool or in the jungle like you did.

We hope to see you back again at The Tides.

Warm regards