“Perfection at Palm!”
Review of The Palm at Playa

The Palm at Playa
Ranked #22 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

From the second we booked we were impressed with the level of great service at this hotel. It is like living in the absolute lap of luxury. Stylish, really comfortable, great atmosphere on the very sexy roof with a wonderful view of the stunning sea. We WILL be coming back! Eleanora, Willberth, Adrian and Ken are just some of the excellent staff who made our stay so perfect. We were so sad to leave and return to reality.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Robogota
Write a ReviewReviews (1,728)

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Having spent ages researching places to stay in Playa Del Carmen, I am very glad to say that The Palm at Playa was the perfect choice for us (early 30s couple from Ireland). The location is super: very close to the beach and 5th Ave but removed enough to be able to 'escape' to peace and quiet. The hotel is beautifully designed: really modern and chic. And of course, that rooftop. It has a real wow factor. We stayed the last week in May and every day had plenty of choice of sun-loungers and felt relaxed and at ease being able to dip in and out of the pool, read, or just enjoy in the great view. Our room was gorgeous: I had emailed to ask for a room at the more quiet side and was given 106, a 'palm loft' which was extra large with a cool double shower, nice balcony and very good aircon. The superking bed was extremely comfortable too. The room was cleaned to a high standard and bottles of water replaced every day. In fact, we got a sense of high standards of cleanliness throughout: one day there was a short rain shower and some bugs came down with it, onto the walkways. Poof, these had vanished and all was mopped up really quickly.
We didn't eat in the restaurant at night but enjoyed the 'included breakfast' every day. Once we got a hang of the options (fruit or fruit juice plus a main menu item and tea of coffee) we worked our way through the whole menu. My real favourite was the 'omelette provencal' but the 'divorced eggs' also are worth a try. Great coffee too and very nice staff. The staff on reception were also great: very friendly and professional. We booked one tour (snorkelling and cenotes) through the in-house tour advisor Keshi, and he gave us good tips on other options too. I don't usually go to hotel's own spas but the prices were good so I got a pedicure and was very impressed. We were given vouchers for a free ten minute massage. This was lovely so I followed up with a 30 minute back massage on the last day - fabulous. The spa didn't seem very busy, I hope they get more custom because they're doing a great job. I would certainly recommend this hotel, particularly for younger/young at heart couples or groups of friends. I'd love to go back with friends to enjoy cocktails or beers in the hot tub at sun-down.
Other stray thoughts about Playa: 5th avenue is great for strolling and 'people watching' but we only once ate at a restaurant right on 5th and it was our least favourite dining experience and definitely over-priced. For a casual funky Thai - definitely try Babes. We loved Fusion, right on the beach, and ate there twice. One night was a full moon, it was epic. Their live-in dog is thoroughly well fed, don't encourage him! We also tried a small Italian that was practically in a garage up around 10th/12th (trattoria downtown maybe?) it was excellent and really good value, making up for the not-so-romantic setting. We also adored the smoothies/juices in 'Il Nativo', the mexican food there was good and well priced. Having spent a few days in Tulum prior to Playa, we were a bit underwhelmed by the public beach and opted to do our sunbathing on the lovely roof instead.
Playa is a great base for doing tours: we did a fantastic one to Chichen Itza and Ek Balam with 'Mayans' Explorers' who I highly recommend. We also loved the snorkelling and Cenote trip with I think ' Aventuras Mayas'. Their bilingual (French/English) guide was superb. I would also recommend that people take a trip to the ruins at Tulum: they are breathtaking. From Playa, there is no need to book an organised tour: The ADO bus stops right at the entrance to the ruins and costs only a few dollars. We used ADO to and from the airport and between PDC and Tulum and despite being the only gringos on most trips, we felt safe and comfortable - it is a very professional operation.

Room Tip: We asked for a room at the back and we never heard street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank leelaw99
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here last week for five nights. We really loved the hotel and our room (especially the showers). The location was great, but not right on the beach. The service from the front desk was great, especially Sinai. She really took care of us.

Overall this is a great place to stay for the money. The reason for a four is for a few reasons. First there are no fridges in the room, which is probably because they want drinks bought at their bars. Secondly, they sometimes played loud Techno music at the pool during the day when people may want to relax (however someone asked them to change it one day when we were there and they did). Lastly the food was good, but the portions can sometimes be quite small for what you pay for. None of these things really bothered us that much though.

• Stayed: June 2013
Juan M, Director General at The Palm at Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are working on providing mini fridges in all rooms and hope to have them in place before the end of the year. We pride ourselves of our Concierge staff and I am happy to hear they took care of you. I will share this comment with Sinai.

As for the music we try to provide for all tastes and as you commented we do our best to comply with all.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stayed for a weekend June 8-10 and it was better than expected. Every part of the hotel is top notch. Our room (106) was wonderful - especially the shower/bathroom design and the exquisitely comfortable beds. I usually prefer the beach (block and a half away) but the rooftop pool & bar is outstanding and we spent a crazy amount of time there (exquisite view too). Quality tasty breakfast ( including good coffee). ALL staff were very pleasant and helpful. And of course it's a stone's throw from all the action on 5th. Staying here was my favorite part of Playa Del Carmen.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

First time staying at this hotel and it was everything that it appears to be. Service was great, food was great, front desk was very helpful.

The only downfall to this hotel is its location. It is located in the heart of downtown Playa Del Carmen and accessibility is a bit difficult. Furthermore, they close down the streets at certain times of the night for the tourists so you have to park away from the hotel and wheel your luggage. However, apparently there is parking in the hotel that we did not know about until after the fact.

At any rate, it is still an amazing hotel for price, as long as you can find it :)

Reviewed 16 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from the 3rd of June until the 11th and absolutely loved this hotel! We loved it for many reasons. First of all, the staff is very helpful and friendly and they are always available to assist you for anything you need. Sinai at the front desk is fantastic and so helpful; she even took the time to call the company who manufactures the pillows in the rooms to find out how we could purchase one, because we loved them so much! Also the breakfast staff (who knew me after coming in every morning) was always welcoming me with a smile. The hotel offers a free breakfast every morning and I thought the options were delicious, ranging from basic fruit, toast and eggs to yummy traditional Mexican dishes, such as huevos divorciados. The hotel's location is perfect; only 2 blocks from the beach and half a block from 5ta Avenida, but yet distanced enough to be a quiet place of refuge. I recommend a room facing the back of the hotel to get a quieter experience. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable. We stayed in a Palm Loft and it was a gorgeous room! It was much bigger than we expected and had a beautiful bathroom area with double showers. The bed was a king and was so comfortable, we slept great every night. Of course the rooftop area and pool was absolutely beautiful and was a huge perk of staying there if we wanted a relaxing day away from the beach.
All in all, I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again next time I am in Playa Del Carmen!

Room Tip: Palm Loft is great value for the price. If you want a quiet room, request one in the back of the ho...
1  Thank Anabelita26
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I was there from May 30th to June 5th and had a great time at the hotel.
The room was spacious, clean, comfortable, and classy. It's centrally located which made it convenient to go from one place to another and not have to travel far for anything.
I found the staff very friendly and accommodating, and went out of the way to make sure your needs were taken cared for. In fact, one of the staff members let me borrow his computer for an urgent issue. Big props out to Sinahi at the front desk, Juan at the restaurant, and Jesus at the front of the hotel.....great work.
I'll be back!!