“Great location, excellent food!”
Review of The Palm at Playa

The Palm at Playa
Ranked #23 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed there a couple of nights and overall it was just perfect. The rooms are great, spacious and new. The restaurant downstairs was awesome!! I had breakfast there both days. The only thing I can complain is about the guys at the front desk, they weren't really that helpful and polite. I asked for an iron the first day and it never came. Housekeepers, guards and waiters on the other hand were always smiling and making me like at home.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank GerardoAlv
Juan M, Director General at The Palm at Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the lack of service at the front desk. Thanks to your comment we have instituted a follow up procedure to ensure that all guests’ requests are fulfilled in a timely manner. Comments like yours are appreciated as we strive to be better every time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,633)

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We checked in at The Palm at Playa Hotel, Mexico on the 15th of June, 2013 and had a really memorable stay there. The staff were courteous, friendly and extremely helpful. They upgraded us to a suite as we had requested for twin beds and those rooms were full up - of course, these requests are subject to availability, but their entire attitude said - "We want you to be comfortable and to enjoy your trip here!" - wish there were more like them!
The tour organisers were called in within 20 minutes of our mentioning it - and they worked out a fantastic tour to Tulum and Coba, in fact, it was the most memorable one of all the tours we took in Mexico. The guide was superb and spoke excellent English.
The rooms were clean and the location of the hotel could not have been better - just off Fifth Avenue - with good music, good food and the beach right next to us.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends.

Radhika (India)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Radhika B
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We can't say enough nice things about our stay at The Palm at Playa. It all atarted with a warm welcome from Sinahi and a cold drink called the Conga. Our room was fabulous. We ate dinner at the hotel and had amazing food and service. The hotel is located in the middle of town and a block away from the beach. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street if you don't like the loud music from the bar across the street.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tlpooh
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our stay at the Palm at Playa was great! The staff was attentive and friendly, welcoming us with a complimentary glass of juice each on arrival. The pool area was wonderful - clean, with good drinks, good music, and complete with a hammock over the pool. The restaurant below (Calle Ocho) served us excellent juice and breakfast, which was included in the room tariff. We also got 10% off beach club vouchers for the Zenzi, which also made for an enjoyable experience on the beach. We would love to stay there again when we visit next.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank unkoshered
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed here for our last night in Mexico, as an alternative to staying in Cancun before flying out. The 'loft room' we had was beautiful; huge double shower, super comfortable bed and a great living area with a second tv. There isn't a fridge or mini bar which seemed a bit odd but other than that I cannot fault the room one bit. It's stunning.

The rooftop pool area is, as other reviewers have stated, just like the photos and it really is lovely. The music was a bit hit and miss as the volume was all over the place but other than that it was nice to hang out there in the morning and not at all busy.

Breakfast was nice enough but small and if you wanted a refill for your juice there was a charge but the lovely waitress refilled mine anyway as I wasn't drinking coffee.

My only, but quite major, complaint was the noise. We were unfortunately located facing the street and it was very, very, very loud. I put earplugs in but they didn't help. I tried to sleep on the sofa in the front room but could hear the music from the rooftop pool where a party was most certainly kicking off. If I managed 2 hours sleep, I think that was good going. Oh, and it was a Friday night so not sure if it's like that all week or not.

I really did like this hotel but my advice would be that if you stay there be prepared to stay out and party too. I'm pregnant so didn't have this option but if I was wanting a great place to stay where I could party hard into the early hours then you can't go past this hotel. Not ideal for pregnant ladies :) As much as I like the hotel I was thankful to only be there one night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Naomi K
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during our anniversary trip. We arrived battling the "Mexican flu" unfortunately but that's when the large room with super cozy bed came in handy. We previously stayed in a more simple laid back place in Tulum, so this hotel was a treat, with the modern fixtures, giant double shower "room" in between the bedroom and front sitting area. I paid for the lowest rate on their website directly and got 20% off as we arrived on a weekday. They still upgraded us to a room one category higher at no fee, and it was in the back so super quiet (after reading some of these reviews that's what I requested). We planned to stay 2 nights and decided to extend our stay, still got the upgrade and same price :) When we felt up for it, we enjoyed great food in their restaurant, being served by truly attentive & pleasant staff. Paulina made us feel like at home and so special. The location of the hotel is also amazing if you want to be near the beach (like 1 block away) and the shopping street. We did not care for how busy the city area was, but were not bothered by it at all. OK, but the best feature of this hotel really is the rooftop pool. I mean - amazing! The views, the atmosphere, the staff & service at the bar right there, so fun! All of our friends were posting exciting and jealous comments to our pictures :) I'd go again for sure if I stayed in Playa.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jana Z
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed at the palm at playa for a week at the start of August. The hotel is brand new and immaculate. The room we got was enormous and had an extremely comfortable bed, huge double shower and separate lounge room. If this was my bedroom I'd be in heaven! The staff are lovely - especially Marco, Adrian and Paulina, Jesus. The free breakfast is also great.
Highlights - rooftop pool - you feel like you're in paradise. The space is even used for modeling shoots! The location is awesome for everything - food, bars, bus, beach etc.
The one and only downside to this hotel is the noise at night time. Sometimes coming from the hotel's own rooftop, sometimes from across the street - it can be very loud and on until the early hours of the morning. It did make it hard to sleep some nights and for this reason, I don't think this is a 'family friendly' resort - except if your kids are older.
If the rooms had a mini-bar this hotel would be an overall 5/5! Certainly the best hotel I've ever stayed at - thanks palm for making our stay in mexico so great!

• Stayed: August 2013