I was recently in the Mayan Riviera in September on business and decided to try this hotel out. I arrived by car from Cancun and once in Playa, it could be a little hectic to find, but the streets are in quadrants so after 2 laps, I had found the hotel. I was instantly greeted on the street and told to put the car in the garage which is situated below the hotel.
Check-in was a breeze and the staff, which were not in great numbers but again this is not a major chain hotel, were very kind. The room was clean and spacious with a ginormous shower with dual "rainforest shower heads", nice but in my opinion a little waste of space. The hotel had two restaurants, one at the bottom and the other at the top. Unfortunately, and this goes for all of Playa del Carmen/Cozumel restaurants, you will not find real traditional Mexican food but rather Authentic Mexican food to cater for the mass tourism. Back to the subject, if you decide to eat at the hotel, the prices are fair and I strongly recommend the roof bar/restaurant that was recently opened in September 2013. A young man by the name of Martin attended to my dining experience and was very thorough in explaining their menu and recommending a dish. Hats off to you Martin!
For business, the location is great as you are close to a majority of the stores I needed to visit as well as the ferry that takes you to Cozumel.
The only "negative" comments I do have are the following:
1. The Internet - It is slow for a hotel and the connection was not the best but after expressing this to management, they confirmed they were working on increasing the speed so hopefully by now, guests are experiencing a faster internet.
2. I asked for a 5.45 AM [no typo] wake up call during my stay at the hotel and never received the call from the front desk. In any case, I always have x2 alarms set in the case one mis-fires. It's probably only human error, but should not be overlooked at all.
3. I stayed in room 007 [Mr. Bond] which was on the ground floor and in the back of the hotel, which I liked, as you don't have all the noise from Quinta Avenida. There is a mutual room shared between my hotel room door and that of the neighbors, to which our rooms never connected, but the issue was at night when I would get to sleep, the door to the entrance would often open and close making it difficult to sleep. Next time I will ask for a room in which the door is in the hallway and not behind yet another door.
Overall I gave this hotel 4/5 points as it truly is a nice place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For a boutique hotel in central Playa del Carmen, The Palm at Playa goes beyond the typical hospitality by offering the true lifestyle-beach character. With an accurate service, contemporary-beach design and a superb location by the "5ta Avenida", the town's most vibrant area, The Palm at Playa puts the best in town to handy distance.There are 69 resort-style accommodations which include lofts and apartment-like suites, very chic, generous in space and details. Our Restaurant Calle 8 offers Mexican contemporary cuisine at local prices, while the gym, yoga and holistic-themed therapy rooms at the Spa are still parts of the experience.But our star is the rooftop with the Bar and swiming pool. It's a perfect spot for celebrating the occasion in a stylish atmosphere, a place where dramatic ocean views and rounds of mojitos and margaritas flow constantly. The swimming pool, Jacuzzi and snack bar are the prefect set to relax under the warm and balmy Caribbean sun. But at night the whole terrace transforms itself into to a jazzy-vibrant stage. A chic and trendy place meaning the perfect setting for young souls seeking the groove, while gazing at the horizon and the sizzling lights of Cozumel Island.There are many things to know about The Palm, but the true is just feeling good factor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo and TravelUp so you can book your The Palm at Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palm At Playa Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen