“Decent Place and Good Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Palm at Playa

The Palm at Playa
Ranked #23 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Panama City, Panama
“Decent Place and Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was recently in the Mayan Riviera in September on business and decided to try this hotel out. I arrived by car from Cancun and once in Playa, it could be a little hectic to find, but the streets are in quadrants so after 2 laps, I had found the hotel. I was instantly greeted on the street and told to put the car in the garage which is situated below the hotel.

Check-in was a breeze and the staff, which were not in great numbers but again this is not a major chain hotel, were very kind. The room was clean and spacious with a ginormous shower with dual "rainforest shower heads", nice but in my opinion a little waste of space. The hotel had two restaurants, one at the bottom and the other at the top. Unfortunately, and this goes for all of Playa del Carmen/Cozumel restaurants, you will not find real traditional Mexican food but rather Authentic Mexican food to cater for the mass tourism. Back to the subject, if you decide to eat at the hotel, the prices are fair and I strongly recommend the roof bar/restaurant that was recently opened in September 2013. A young man by the name of Martin attended to my dining experience and was very thorough in explaining their menu and recommending a dish. Hats off to you Martin!

For business, the location is great as you are close to a majority of the stores I needed to visit as well as the ferry that takes you to Cozumel.

The only "negative" comments I do have are the following:

1. The Internet - It is slow for a hotel and the connection was not the best but after expressing this to management, they confirmed they were working on increasing the speed so hopefully by now, guests are experiencing a faster internet.

2. I asked for a 5.45 AM [no typo] wake up call during my stay at the hotel and never received the call from the front desk. In any case, I always have x2 alarms set in the case one mis-fires. It's probably only human error, but should not be overlooked at all.

3. I stayed in room 007 [Mr. Bond] which was on the ground floor and in the back of the hotel, which I liked, as you don't have all the noise from Quinta Avenida. There is a mutual room shared between my hotel room door and that of the neighbors, to which our rooms never connected, but the issue was at night when I would get to sleep, the door to the entrance would often open and close making it difficult to sleep. Next time I will ask for a room in which the door is in the hallway and not behind yet another door.

Overall I gave this hotel 4/5 points as it truly is a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms behind the hotel [away from Quinta Avenida] are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nick P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

The terrace pool at this property is amazing and the staff are very friendly. Special thanks to Adrian and Carlos for making our afternoons want free! The rooms are also very spacious, take the upgrade to a loft room, it is worth the few extra bucks.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jessicapoche
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed at The Palm at Playa hotel for 4 nights when we came for the Mi Casa Es Su Casa music festival. We were very pleased overall with the hotel. The free breakfast is amazing - good, rich coffee, a big bowl of fresh tropical fruit, eggs, beans, and potatoes, plus a variety of bread and pastry. The restaurant staff was accommodating too, as my better half wanted just egg whites. I've never had a non-US hotel be so accommodating of special dietary requests.

The food on the rooftop is equally good. We spent an afternoon by the infinity pool, and ordered up some yummy ceviche with our drinks for a snack. The attendant helped us set up the large umbrellas, crucial for me to avoid sunburn.

The front desk staff even helped me to call the local transport company, when the driver was late picking us up to return to the airport. We had already checked out, but the guy at the desk helped me to find out what was happening with our transportation.

The only miss I noticed on the trip -- bed linens weren't changed daily. Normally I'm OK with this, but we had both been on the beach and so any sand that got in the bed lingered there for the duration of our stay. I'd have preferred if housekeeping would at least shake out the linens before remaking the bed.

Overall though, a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior are quieter. Skip the juice at breakfast and get the bowl of fruit. You'...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GradAbroad
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

From the second we checked in to the walk to the taxi to go to the airport, EVERYONE AT THIS HOTEL TREATED US LIKE WE WERE THE ONLY GUEST IN THE PLACE!

EXAMPLES:
I could not turn on the high tech air conditioning unit, called front desk, they said someone would be to me in two minutes. I thought, "sure". They were there in LSD than two minutes.

Front desk staff super helpful, bell staff could not do enough for you, bar staff kew your favorite drink and exactly the way you liked it and never forgot, waiter at breakfast (which was prepared to your order served with coffee that would make Starbucks jealous) was one of the nicest folks ever. Even the general manager of the hotel would stop to make sure all was well.

Very nice hotel, rooms were beautiful, roof top pool area was right out of Architectural Digest. Steps from all the restaurants on 5th and one block from the water.

Oh and the price was very reasonable. Stay here.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms on interior garden area
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim5465
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Love, love, love this hotel. Its new, stylish, and modern. Great value, free breakfast and wifi. Its downtown so it can be a bit noisy, but if you're here to party, you wont notice. The rooftop pool is the best, Friday night was ladies night.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank frazsorrells
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed there a couple of nights and overall it was just perfect. The rooms are great, spacious and new. The restaurant downstairs was awesome!! I had breakfast there both days. The only thing I can complain is about the guys at the front desk, they weren't really that helpful and polite. I asked for an iron the first day and it never came. Housekeepers, guards and waiters on the other hand were always smiling and making me like at home.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank GerardoAlv
Juan M, Director General at The Palm at Playa, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the lack of service at the front desk. Thanks to your comment we have instituted a follow up procedure to ensure that all guests’ requests are fulfilled in a timely manner. Comments like yours are appreciated as we strive to be better every time.
Delhi, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We checked in at The Palm at Playa Hotel, Mexico on the 15th of June, 2013 and had a really memorable stay there. The staff were courteous, friendly and extremely helpful. They upgraded us to a suite as we had requested for twin beds and those rooms were full up - of course, these requests are subject to availability, but their entire attitude said - "We want you to be comfortable and to enjoy your trip here!" - wish there were more like them!
The tour organisers were called in within 20 minutes of our mentioning it - and they worked out a fantastic tour to Tulum and Coba, in fact, it was the most memorable one of all the tours we took in Mexico. The guide was superb and spoke excellent English.
The rooms were clean and the location of the hotel could not have been better - just off Fifth Avenue - with good music, good food and the beach right next to us.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends.

Radhika (India)