“Impressed”

Ranked #47 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Ottawa, Canada
“Impressed”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We were very impressed with this resort from top to bottom. The rooms were great, staff were excellent (especially our night time waiter "Romeo, and our pool side guy, "Havier"). No waiting, no reservations required for dinner, all a la cart dinning, great brand new facility! We can't wait to go back next year.
If we had one complaint it would be that the adjoining door between our suite and our neighbors suite had zero sound proofing. We were awakened when they would arrive back to their room after a night out, simply by their conversation. In the morning we were again awakened by our neighbors snoring??! It was like they were literally in our room with us!Crazy that at this level of resort this aspect was over looked. We are hoping that this will be identified and fixed for the future.
Other than this one flaw, we can't think of any other complaints. Enjoy!!

Mr. and Mrs. Sylvie Thom

1 Thank Brent D
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Brent,

I have shared your comments with the staff and we are very thankful for your kind remarks. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back!.
Blue Diamond Riviera Maya team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Korean first
London, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We spent 3 glorious days at the Blue Diamond. Our every expectation was exceeded. We were the 153rd and 154th guests since the opening. Everything that we could have hoped for was available.

The service was the best we have ever had anywhere....even better than at home. There was nothing we could ask for that they couldn't bring or do for us. Breakfast, lunch and dinner from a menu with a good variety of choices. The fresh fruit was served up perfectly sliced and looking like a piece of art. Even our order from the snack bar was delivered right to our sunbed on china plates and real cutlery. The bar had PREMIUM drinks and concoctions including Crown Royal and Grey Goose.

Our room was more like a palace with 3 sets of wide patio doors across the back viewing out to the mangroves which our own private patio overlooked and contained table, chairs, loungers and our own private tub. We had a very comfortable king size bed, comfy couch and chairs, desk, walk-in closet/dressing room, good-size flat screen with IPOD connection for music, etc. We came home wanting to revamp our house to replicate the bathroom from Blue Diamond....his/her showers, makeup desk, beautiful tile, very modern and clean. The bathrobes and slippers were just icing on the already perfect cake.

A roof top cigar bar was a great spot for the evening hours. Plenty of room to get fresh air if you don't smoke. Even did some dancing. Very accomodating staff.

Again the service was 6 star. The staff were superb. The transportation driver came right to our door to inform us that he was ready to take us to the beach, or pool, or restaurant or lobby. We never waited more than 3 minutes.

We absolutely loved this resort. So much so, that my hubby never turned the TV on!!!!

Room Tip: I don't think there would be any room that wasn't perfect!
6 Thank OntarioTraveller48
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!.
BlueDiamond Riviera Maya by BlueBay team
Staffordshire
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My husband and i spent the last three days of our holiday at the beautiful BLUE DIAMOND by Blue Bay resort what a fantastic place it is,from first arriving at the resort the staff could not do enough for you,nothing is a problem for them,you never have to walk anywhere if don`t want to, the reception are always making sure that everything is to your satisfaction and if you need anything else in your room to what time would you like picking up for your meals.When we came back to our room on the first morning after we had been on the beach there was champage on ice wating for us same on the second day never have we been on holiday where we have been made to feel so welcome.The staff are the best ever,Saturday morning we were served breakfast by Romeo he also served us for our evening meal along with Martin
we were also served on Sunday evening by Romeo and Martin and they never stop trying to please you,nothing is any problem to them,all the staff from housekeeping,gardeners right to the highest rank never stop pleasing you. The villas are breathtaking from first entering,we stayed in the Laguna Villas. What a way to end your holiday ......

3 Thank megjazzStaffordshire
Dear client,
Thank you for your wonderful remarks!. We are happy we made you feel so welcome.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
BlueDiamond Riviera Maya by BlueBay team
New York Mills, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My girlfriend and I just spent 5 days at Blue Diamond.

It was beyond belief. You don't get a room, you get a palace. The food is delicious, breakfast lunch and dinner (their wine list is thin...but hey). The staff are there for your every wish.

One of the biggest complaints my partner and I have had in our Caribbean travel is that the rooms are "clean but sterile" - there is no dirt...but you feel like you are in a motel 6. Not here. The bed is very very comfortable. The lighting is nice. The room (one of the smallest at the resort) was HUGE. With its own living room, giant two shower bathroom, outdoor bathtub, and patio/backyard with recliners and a view of the cenote. it was like staying in the guest house of a rich relative, not a "functional" hotel room.

The spa is magnificent and even if you don't want to pay for treatments the time in the therapeutic pool, the Hamam (steam room) and relaxation room drinking chlorophyll water was perfect.

The pool is great with a great view of the ocean, and nice chairs. perfect.

But, the top notch is the people who work here. They are from all over Mexico, are extremely friendly, and make you feel like an honored guest.

My partner and I have been to Mexico, St. Maarten, Miami, Aruba, and nothing, nothing even came close to the luxury, relaxation, comfort, friendliness, and service of the Blue Diamond. It was sublime - if what you want is low key and luxury. it's not a party scene at all.

9 Thank john o
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you John!
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back!
Blue Diamond Riviera Maya by BlueBay team
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I just arrived home from a 5 day stay at the resort. It has only been open for a few weeks so they are still working out some kinks. One day there was no water but that was remedied quickly and another day the hot water did not work. I think this is normal for a new hotel a few weeks in. I'm sure if I visited in a couple of months I'd give it a 5/5 but I need to be honest a few weeks in it wasn't perfect.

I love that it is an adult-only hotel and it has a great, modern feel. I appreciate that some people have families but I don't want to vacation with them!

The Ambar restaurant is beautiful and the food is delicious. But what really makes it a great stay is the wonderful staff. The helpfulness went beyond the duty of normal resort staff. When I arrived I asked that they speak Spanish so I could practice. They kindly spoke slowly and at my level. Moreover when I wanted to go off the resort they recommended great places for me to go.

I will remember them all fondly.

Room Tip: I stayed in the mini-suites that overlooked the river, they had decks out front that were lovely to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ayngelina B
Thank you Anygelina for your wonderful remarks about our staff which I have shared with them. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!.
team of Blue Diamond Riviera Maya by BlueBay
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My wife and I just finished up a five-night stay at the new BlueBay Blue Diamond Adults-Only resort. We're doing a "his and hers" set of reviews, so that you can get both sets of opinions from us. Ladies first...

***HERS***

Strengths: Attentive, friendly and experienced staff. The grounds crew was also respectful. Follow through on requests was excellent and timely. Drinks were made with high-end alcohol. Gabriel, our pool angel, refreshed our drinks before the last one could get warm. Great breakfast and decent lunch/snacks. Rooms - We had the jr patio suite. It was very modern, clean, and spacious. We faced "the jungle", which was very private and had a view of a bayou (I call it that because it's a narrow and slow moving river, and I could have sworn I saw a gator!). Not buggy at all though! I absolutely loved the room and even turned down an upgrade to the palafino rooms. We received a fresh bottle of sparking wine daily after room service, which was always planned for when we were out - no noisy maids in the morning.

Weaknesses: dinner selection - when you are cooking for 12 guests (it seems it was a soft opening), I can see why having a small menu is a necessity. Only one restaurant was open. They focused on several course meals expected of multi-star restaurants (selection of 3 entrees). It made for a fancy, but sadly not great meal. There is two things that could have made the meals special. One is dessert, which was not memorable, and the other is wine, which was very memorable - for it's lack thereof. A selection of three reds which, based on price (too low) and lack of familiarity, we turned down. It's too bad, because they have an awesome (but empty) cellar at the entrance of the restaurant. For crying out loud, get a wine list!!! My final complaint, I swear it, was not knowing what all the amenities are. For example, we knew they did a free snorkeling trip, but other guests didn't, and other guests knew there was one on one (free) yoga instruction, and I didn't (and I had toured the spa! Which was very nice BTW). There was no guide in the room to reference...what you knew depended on who you asked.

Overall: I wanted to relax with pretty drinks by the pool - without fighting for beach chairs. That is exactly what I got! I wish I had come just a few weeks later - as the available amenities are changing day by day. I have my fingers crossed for the team at BlueDiamond that everything comes together!

***HIS***

Formerly the Mandarin Oriental (but now under new ownership), this long, narrow property weaves almost a mile back from the ocean through a tropical rainforest-like setting lush with beautiful plants, and complete with lagoons and a cenote. Originally built (as I understand it) in 2008 for Mandarin Oriental, the property is as beautiful as one might expect - lots of stone, marble, and natural wood throughout give it a all a very polished look and feel. (TIP: If you can still find the listing for Mandarin Oriental on TripAdvisor, you may want to read some of those reviews for some additional opinions - although recognizing the property is under new management now).

In the past, my wife and I have stayed at two other all-inclusives in the Cancun/Playa area -- Excellence Riviera, and Secrets Maroma. So, our review of BlueDiamond is with that in mind. Also, we were at the property for their "soft launch" period before their formal opening - so there were a few kinks they were still working out ... but nothing significant.

As we arrived at the property, the bellman took our bags, and we were promptly provided cool towels and refreshing drinks as we checked in. The registration desk is actually outdoors under a giant palapa roof, which gives it a very unique feel. Check-in didn't take more than a few minutes, and then we were shuttled by golf cart off to our room.

Arriving at our room, I have to say - this was by far the most beautiful room I've ever stayed in in Mexico. We have uploaded some of our photos here to TripAdvisor. I actually think we were upgraded to a better class room, as our initial request was for a Junior Cenote Suite - but we were not overlooking the Cenote. So, I can't tell you what class room we finally ended up in - but it was simply stunning inside. An ice-cold bottle of champagne was waiting for us when we first arrived ... and was provided every day for us in the afternoon without our asking. Everything in the mini-bar was free (as one would hope at an all-inclusive) and 1/2 liter bottles of a few liquors (rum, vodka, tequilla) were complimentary as well.

After our concierge showed us around our room and placed out suitcases in the walk-in closet, we were ready to hit the pool. We called for a cart to come pick us up, and within a few minutes we were on our way down to the main pool area. All in all, this isn't a large property - it's only about 120 rooms from what I understand - so there's only two main pools, right next to each other. There were always plenty of lounge chairs and beds available while we were there, by both the pools and the beach. Gabriel was our bartender at the pool that day, and never ever let our drink glasses go empty - always showing up with a new beer or cocktail just as we were finishing ours up.

Speaking of the beach, it is a nice section of beach that they have, and the staff was dutifully out cleaning off the seaweed every morning we were there. However, the tide/surf was pretty rough most days (not something I can really blame on the resort) so we didn't go into the ocean at all while we were there. There is a dock/pier that extends into the ocean, but it appears to have been damaged in some hurricane along the way, and was roped off to prevent guests from using it. There was also complimentary snorkeling excursions provided by BlueBay's water activities team, but we didn't take advantage of this.

After a day at the pool - it was time to go back to our room, and get ready for dinner. So - we called another golf cart. You may be noticing a theme here -- to get around the property, you pretty much have to rely on the carts to take you around. Initially I wasn't terribly keen on this, and just wanted to walk to where we needed to go (as my wife and I are still young enough we can get around just fine) but ultimately you do really need to use the carts. I measured the property from one end to the other on Google Earth, and it's 3/4ths of a mile ... so if you're not using the carts, you're going to spend about 10 minutes walking from your room to the pool. At first, I felt a bit annoyed by this - having to always depend on a cart to drive me around. But by the end of our stay, I didn't really care ... the drivers and staff are all awesome and wanted to do everything they could to help. I also understand that once they get fully operational, they will be boating guests from some areas on the property to others (some of the rooms are right on the lagoon).

After a quick cleanup, we headed over to dinner in one of the two restaurants on the property that serves dinner. Again, since this is a small property with only ~120 rooms, it's not like others that will have 5-7 restaurants operating, each with different themes and cuisine types. Since we were there during the soft-launch, and there were only about a dozen other guests on the property at the same time, they only opened one restaurant per evening. Not a big deal - it would be silly to open and operate both every night when you have just a handful of guests.

Given that BlueDiamond only has two dinner restaurants, I think they try to compete with other all-inclusives that have various cuisine styles - i.e.: the "French restaurant", the "Asian restaurant", the "Mexican restaurant" - by having various international "themes" to their menu each night. Each nights' menu was a small appetizer, 2-3 choices for salads, 2-3 choices for soups, and then a choice of one of three entrees. That's it. If none of the entrees grabbed your fancy, or if the "international theme" for that evening didn't suit your fancy ... you were out of luck. Here is where, unfortunately, I hit my first real disappointment in the property.

I don't remember which "international theme" it was the first night we were there for dinner - but I remember the main entree that both my wife and I ordered ... a steak with a roquefort sauce. Not being a big fan of roquefort or bleu cheese, I removed most of it from my steak when it arrived - and it became abundantly obvious why they put it on in the first place. The steak was amazingly bland. I wouldn't say the meat quality was bad, I just don't think they really knew what to do with it to give it flavor - so they drowned it in roquefort dressing. Strike one for dinner. I'm not necessarily expecting five-star dining when I'm in Mexico at an all-inclusive, but I would at least expect my dinner to at least be on-par or a bit more inspiring than an Outback steakhouse franchise.

The second evening, we decided to stay in and order room service. The menu is a bit more expansive at least than the regular dinner menu. But the food was again, pretty underwhelming. On top of that - for room service, you'll pay a $20 service charge. Huh?? It's an all-inclusive, and you're not doing much more to prep my meal than if I was having dinner in the restaurant. Admittedly, it's a small thing, but I found that a bit annoying.

Third evening, I honestly can't remember what we had for dinner - but it was the fourth evening that finally pushed me over the edge. "Lebanese night" -- really? Yep -- hummus, cous cous, etc. For our main entree that evening, my wife and I both had the chicken kabobs. Now, I live in DC, and the $10 kabob shop next to my office that I go to for lunch, served a better chicken kabob than BlueDiamond did. After that meal, I told my wife that I wasn't eating another dinner at the property for the remainder of our trip - so for our fifth and final evening, we took a taxi in to Playa Del Carmen and had a great meal on 5th Avenue.

Having said all of that, let me say this -- the service staff at dinner? Top notch. We were never waiting for anything, the staff was always taking care of everything we needed. So they were awesome. It was just the food that seemed to need some help.

Breakfasts at BlueDiamond were another story. Generally, I found those to be quite good - it was the one meal of the day that I would eat all of it. Lunches were ok. But the dinner menu, needs some serious work. Again, it's not the food quality that's the problem - it's that they just don't seem to know how to cook it to make it more inspiring than an average weeknight at a TGI Friday's in the US. With only 2 restaurants, they need to have a much broader dinner menu than just 3 entrees. Hopefully this will change once they get past their soft launch period. Hopefully other reviewers in the future can note whether the dinner menu has improved.

After dinners, we went to the rooftop "M-Bar" to have some after dinner drinks, and relax in the ocean breeze. Some cool music was playing in the background, and it was a really nice environment to chill out after a long day of laying by the pool, and figuring out what to do for the next day.

Most of our stay revolved around the pool. We didn't do any excursions, as they didn't have their excursions desk set up yet (although they did offer to taxi us over to the BlueBay Grand Esmerelda next door on their tab, to arrange something with their excursion desk). We taxi'd in to Playa Del Carmen twice during our stay, and the staff there was happy to arrange a local taxi for us at whatever time we wanted.

My wife used the spa and gym one morning. The spa looked gorgeous, although we didn't use it. My wife liked the workout equipment that they had in the gym.

Most of the time we weren't at the pool, at dinner, or in Playa - we were on our back patio looking over the lagoon, and enjoying the shade (and privacy) of all the tropical trees surrounding us. Having that chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room every evening was awesome - we had champagne every evening, enjoying our surroundings.

Finally, the staff. In a word - awesome. Admittedly, they had only been open a month, and the resort wasn't terribly full - but every single staff member we met wanted to do anything and everything they could to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. If we said we were going back to our room in the afternoon, and we wanted to get a taxi at 6PM to go into Playa -- without our even asking, they'd be back at our room at 5:45pm with the golf cart to pick us up, and the taxi would be waiting for us at the main entrance. And sometimes, it was the little things too -- one evening after coming back from dinner, I noticed that one of my room keys wasn't working (fortunately I always carry both keys any time I'm in a hotel). I tried it a couple times, no luck. So, I simply used the other one to get into our room, and then we retired for the evening. The next morning, the cart driver that picked us up for breakfast had a new room key for us - without my even asking.

It's those nice little touches that go a long way, and demonstrate they really do want to take good care of their guests. There were so many staff members that made our stay as wonderful as possible - Hugo, Gabriel, Darwin, Roman, Sergio, and Omar were the ones that we interacted the most with during our time there, but across-the-board ... all the staff we met there was wonderful.

In conclusion - it's a great new resort, with a ton of potential. I'm not sure why Mandarin pulled out of the property, but it is getting off to a good start so far. My one and only real disappointment - the dinner menu - is ultimately "fixable" if management chooses to do so, and would make the property even better. It would be interesting to go there a year from now, and see how far they've come along.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Toomer
Pawnee, Illinois
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from 5 great days at the Blue Diamond. The resort was pretty empty when we arrived. The staff told us there was only 13 guests there, although about 40 or so more showed up on our last day there. The food was excellent, the staff was excellent, the room was excellent, and the grounds were excellent. The beach can be a walk if you stay where we stayed, room 367, but there is transportation available at your request, all the drivers were great, only name I remember is Omar, but the rest were awesome to. All the wait staff was excellent, Manuel was probably our favorite, but the rest were awesome, just don't remember all the names. We've been to the Riviera Maya about 7 times in the last 4 years, and we usually say we would go back to each resort, but probably will not, this resort I can say I will be back, I am curious to see what its like when its running at full capacity. Also, would like say that every issue we had was handled immediately, whether it was a clogged toilet or no hot water, staff was immediately working on it, most resorts you have to call about 10 times. The only issues we had was no hot water for one day and no water at all the morning we left, but they were working on it and also when we arrived there was no one there to greet us or carry our luggage, not a big deal, probably just an oversight as other guests said they were greeted. Also, the beach needed a little tlc, but in their defense the water was really rough and churning up a lot of stuff, red flags were out every day we were there. I would definitely recommend this resort if you are wanting a nice quiet, relaxing vacation, if you are looking for a resort to do cannon balls in the pool, drink from your bubba keg at the pool, have blaring music at the pool, and sit at the swim up bar all day, then this is not the resort for you. Thanks again to all the staff for a wonderful vacation.

4 Thank Jim G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#58 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!