My husband and I just got back from 6 nights at the Blue Diamond. This was our second trip to the Cancun/Play del Carmen area. We are frequent travelers. Let's start with the good:
1. The grounds are beautiful and very quiet and relaxing. It is stunning when you arrive. It is open to the outdoors surrounded by water and they bring you cool towels and some fabulous drink at check-in. The resort is built back into the bushes/jungle area, so none of the rooms are close to the ocean unless you are lucky enough to pay up for one of the 7 beachfront villas. But it is still quite beautiful.
2. The food is amazing! I know that, for an all-inclusive, it is un-heard of to have NO buffets. They clearly put a lot of effort into their food. It was all made fresh with the best ingredients. Everything was cooked perfectly and the plates were always decorated beautifully. What resort gives you the option to have Mahi-Mahi for lunch, or steak? We felt like we ate very healthy, and that can be rare at resorts. 5 stars for the food for sure!!
3. Service overall was excellent, at least in the restaurants. The waiters are so friendly. Fernando makes excellent cappucinos and is a fabulous waiter. He is friendly and efficient. All of the waiters are very friendly and attentive. Jesus and Cesar are also excellent. Cesar was our dinner waiter most of the time. He was amazing.
4. The spa is really nice! We had a couples massage and it was the best we have ever had. They have some training in upper cervical work because what they do with the neck and head is fantastic. It is a beautiful, tranquil spa space. I highly recommend getting a treatment at the spa.
5. The bathrooms are amazing! We were in a Lagoon Suite room. The room is just a normal room, but it is the bathroom that makes this room fantastic. We had two rock tiled showers with rain shower heads. We had an outdoor, huge, stone bathtub.
****Areas that need improvement:
1. Pool: The main pool is not heated. With all the competition in the entire Mexico/Caribbean you must have a usable pool that is a comfortable temperature so people can relax. No one was ever in the main pool. We talked with other guests about how this was ridiculous. There is also a small lap pool that is actually heated. Everyone would cram into this small lap pool because it was heated. Blue Bay must spend the money to heat the main pool. And, the main pool is very small. I would tear out the lap pool and combine the main pool with the lap pool area to make one larger pool with a small fountain in the corner. And HEAT it! There are too many other resorts with nicer pool areas. Because the beach is so rocky, having a nice pool is a must if you want to compete.
2. Maintenance infrastructure: Blue Bay needs to spend money on basics. The air conditioning did not work at all in our room. We were lucky because we were there in December. The room would get continually hotter during the day, with the AC doing nothing. I don't think it even blew any air out. And there is no AC in the bathrooms so it was uncomfortable putting on makeup or doing anything in the bathroom.
**Mattresses: We were in room 525. Maybe this was just our room, but our mattress was awful, the worst we have ever slept on in a hotel. This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel, but our mattress was hard and cheap. We could not sleep. On our last day we pulled back the bottom sheet and looked at the mattress. It was completely collapsed. It looked old. A resort of this quality should have tested all the mattresses and they should be thick and lush. Because of the problem with the AC and the bad mattress, we could not enjoy our room.
***Water system: The heating and cooling system for the water in the resort for the rooms needs to be changed. As other people have mentioned, our water was either burning hot, to where it would scald my skin, or freezing cold. The hot and cold could not be combined to make it an even temperature. And we couldn't use the outdoor bathtub because they told us there was no hot water for it. What is the point of an outdoor bathtub if it can't be used?
I am giving the location a three (3) because the beach is rocky and has sea grass.
Overall, it is a beautiful resort but needs some improvements if people are going to pay top dollar. I got a really good deal, so it was worth it. But there are too many other resorts with nicer beaches, better pools and more comfortable beds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the pristine coast of the world famous Riviera Maya, Blue Diamond Riviera Maya is a sanctuary of breathtaking beauty and peace, surrounded by nature mixed with luxury. This exclusive hideaway is set in 36 acres of lush tropical jungle, well manicured gardens and a spectacular palm filled white sandy beaches along the turquoise – colored Caribbean Sea, offering unparalleled pampering and rejuvenation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotelopia, LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen