“Best Beach, Best Service, Best Getaway”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #38 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Where to start? This all-inclusive private resort was just what we needed. Though we initially were going to upgrade upon arrival, we chose to stay in one of the Laguna Junior Suites and loved it! From the bamboo hardwood to marble flooring from the dual rainforest showers to private loft overlooking the laguna, it was just perfect. The only thing to note is that the private outdoor tub in the Laguna Suites (cant speak to the others) can only be filled by the staff and they don't fill it with hot water, so make sure you are ok with showers only or come when it is very hot, so a cool bath will feel great. For us the showers were just fine. The Laguna Suites were only about 1/4 mile walk from the beach, which was great for us to talk and walk through this garden of eden. The landscaping on the stone/paver path to the beach and throughout the resort made everything feel so private and lush. A daily stocked minibar with beverages and snacks were a nice touch, but honestly we didn't use them much as we would take advantage of all the inclusive meals and beverages at the restaurants and at the beach. There was just the right selection of menu items between the different restaurants for a week stay and the food was never boring; we enjoyed the artistry and taste of it all.

Some unexpected things: even though checkout was at noon, the concierge stored our luggage and let us eat one final "inclusive" meal and enjoy the beach till our taxi arrived to take us to the airport. We were never harassed by vendors on the beach (only saw 2) and the staff always kept the beach clean and available for activities. We walked up and down the beach and found Blue Diamond's beach to be the best...I wonder why Trip Advisor rated Mayakoba's higher? We had the most sand, the cleanest beachfront, and a private dock. We never had anyone try to pitch a timeshare with us though I did see others visiting Blue Diamond that were looking at timeshares.

Items to note: if you want to save some money, pick up a taxi outside the resort...just tell security at the gate (not the front desk) where you are going and walk across the road. We spent $50 pesos for a taxi to take us to Playa Del Carmen. However, because we didn't tell the taxi driver that took us back to the resort that he could drop us off outside the gate, it cost $15USD and he dropped us off inside the resort at the front desk. I think the resort collects a portion of all fares that depart from or arrive within the resort, hence the higher price. I think that is the same with any resort in the Cancun area. We also arranged for the taxi driver that took us to Playa to take us to the airport for our departure. Rather than pay $100USD, we only paid $400 pesos. Also, we came at the end of November and mosquitos were not that bad at all. The resort includes bug spray with your room if that is a concern. Also, be sure to book snorkeling and kayaking for earlier in the day if there is a breeze, so you can do it. The couples that were booked after us could not go due to the breeze. Lastly, even though it was an all-inclusive, we made sure to tip and saw others do the same. Just by waiter response $50 pesos for a meal tip seemed to be the right amount to get priority service. That said, all the staff seemed to be willing to provide great service whether you tipped them or not.

Room Tip: In order of proximity from the beach you have beach-front casitas, palafito suites, laguna suites, a...
2  Thank Aaronellsworth

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We are well traveled and have visited 27 different resorts in The Riviera Maya, including Grand Velas, Several Dreams and Secrets, The Royal Hideaway (excellent) the former Ceiba Del Mar, etc- (along with many budget resorts) The Blue Diamond beat them all - even in a week of solid rain. We managed to squeeze in an hour or two of sun- but if I enjoyed it this much in the rain- can you imagine how wonderful it is in good weather?

The splendor of the rooms really made the stay for us. I loved the hardwood floors over all the tile we are used to. The sheer size of the room and design was like a private home. The only downside to the room was no inside tub and we didn't use the outside tub due to the weather. Also the rain showers were not optimal as the hand held wasn't working and it was near impossible to shower without getting drenched. And..........amenities for a resort of this caliber could be better (shampoos/soaps/lotions)

However--------champagne in every room, and 4 bottles of premium liquor, plus an ample mini bar, not to mention the FREE international calls, plus a total working room. I cannot tell you how many 5 star resorts we have stayed in that had AC problems, no free Wi-Fi, and surly staff.

The bed was the MOST COMFORTABLE I have ever slept in - better than mine and I have quite the "cave" at home. Walk in closet, nice sitting area - well I can go on and on - but I loved this room and cannot wait to return.

Food - excellent. Drinks- excellent. Service- excellent- though I agree that breakfast needs to take it up a notch. Also, for some reason, no one approached us for drink orders at the pool - that's ok - I had already made great friends with the bartenders and they were happy to see me and my tips - both at the snack bar and Javier (fantastic) at the pool bar. Nice plusses at this resort are free use of the spa amenities (steam room- thalassotherapy pool-sauna)

We were told the bikes were only for the oceanfront suites, though many had bikes around our room. It was ok - the golf cart service was very efficient and we only waited once, the night it was downpouring. We didn't mind the walk when it was not raining. Be sure to tour the property as the cenote is lovely and the "Yards of Art" are worth a look.

I cannot say enough about the wonderful staff. Ask and they will deliver. The concierges were wonderful. Check in/check out - wonderful. This is my perfect resort. It may not suit all. There is not much for entertainment and it is quiet. The pool is small but that does not seem to be a problem. The beach is narrow, but excellent. I didn't encounter any rocks in the ocean and found it a very nice ocean to swim and float in. There are some, but past the point of wading. For me, great beach! As travelers know, some beaches are awful in this area. I want to give a special thanks to the following: Ceasar, Roberto, Dagoberto (waiters) Beach Butlers, Elias and Raoul and my favorite bar tender at the snack bar Lucio and Javier of course. No one ever gave me the impression they expected a tip (but of course we tip and they really do appreciate it).

I cannot wait to return and hopefully it won't rain next time. We were in Villa 424. PERFECT!!

Oh - and the best makeup sitting area ever! Excellent Hairdryer in a box! Good make up mirror but no way to get that hair "back view" Great personal space for the ladies.

Room Tip: The Villas on the walkway would be preferable to the courtyard villas. These villas have no stairs...
2  Thank lazygal
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

The Blue Diamond is one of the BEST All Inclusive Resorts I've ever stayed in! We were treated like royalty to ENTIRE TIME! The staff is Impeccable and the Resort is Out of this World! Pristine Beaches! Not to mention the FOOD!! I've never eaten food like this at an All Inclusive Resort.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeaKMiller

The pros:
- excellent staff....Raul - bellboy, Cesar & Prisciliano in the Aquamarina restaurant...Luis too, Mahoney in the Am bar, Omar in concierge...the list could go on. Everyone was friendly and accommodating from the moment we arrived
- gym/spa...great, up to date equipment and area. I recommend the spa pool if you want to be away from the busy beach pool and noise, we laid out there a couple of days and just read by the pool
- wifi everywhere if you want to stay connected
- quiet, peaceful, exceptionally well maintained grounds
- food...we only had one less than stellar meal experience (I recommend tipping a few dollars at meals and beach service, they will be much more attentive for you and grab whatever you need)
- room...clean, well maintained each day
- yoga class and instructor were great
- no kids makes this so quiet and the way the resort is laid out makes it just tranquil and relaxing

Cons:
- $20 charge for room service...get rid of this or change the hours for this charge
- beach chairs are tight and not enough on the beach...get there early to claim your spot

I will definitely return to this resort and stay longer. We were here for 6 days and it was great. If you can get a room on the lagoon or cenote i recommend that.
Bring dollars for tipping.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CW22311
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed at Blue Diamond in mid November and it was everything the reviews had said and more. The service was the best I have had at any resort as well as the food. To have lunch delivered on the beach with real china and cloth napkins was really impressive. The staff goes out of their way to make sure that you have everything you need to ensure a relaxing vacation.
We told some of the staff that it was our anniversary, and a special table was designed for us at dinner. We loved looking at the ocean while eating dinner and taking in the beautiful views. All in all, we would go back again in a heartbeat, it was that special.

Don't hesitate to go to the Blue Diamond. The only regret is having to leave!

Room Tip: They have bicycles at the resort and golf carts to drive you to the beach or restaurants, so getting...
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This resort is the most amazing Garden of Eden!!!
All of the staff were the most amazing and want to take care of you!!!
The Spa is one of the best I have experienced…
The food is very good…
The guest suites are amazing…
I loved my time at this oasis and I will be returning many times again!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Overall, Blue Diamond is an exquisite resort in Cancun. The rooms were beyond phenomenal (we had a Palafito near the lagoon) and so was the beach and environment on the resort. Nothing but great things can be said for the lobby staff - specifically Rahul! Rahul always greeted us with a smile and was extremely helpful during all occasions.

I was somewhat ticked off by the wait staff in the Aquamarina especially during the breakfast hours as they were not very personable. It took a long time to place our orders and they seemed to be stretched thin. Lunches and dinners in the restaurant were great though.

One thing that should be noted to future travelers is that room service is free after 11pm. This wasn't advertised nor were we told in checkin ( we arrived late - around 1030pm and were hungry), however, Rahul let us know and saved us from going to bed on an empty stomach. :)

Would I come back? Yes! However, I would like to have a 5 star experience next time where I can truthfully say everyone in the resort is deserving of a 5 star - including the waitstaff for breakfast at the Aquamarina.

Room Tip: Be sure to rent the Palafitos! Rooms are amazing and right on the lagoon. Be sure to bring bug spray...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#36 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!