“Very lovely for a solo traveler”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #37 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I just returned from five days at Blue Diamond. I was there for rest and relaxation and to quietly celebrate my 48th birthday.

My room (in Patio 4 section) was HUGE and very well appointed. Cable TV was intermittent, but I didn't make a complaint, as I very rarely watched television while at the resort.

Initially, I was unprepared for the long distances between the lobby, fitness center, restaurants, beach/pool and my room. Within the first day, however, I looked at the long, peaceful walks as great exercise. If I preferred not to walk, a golf cart with driver was never far away.

I had ants in my bathroom, and unfortunately, that was never addressed during my stay.

I spent most of my time at the pool area. It's a fairly small pool and very shallow. The beach was beautiful and very well-kept.

Two standouts for me were Laura, the hostess at Ambar Restaurant, and David, a bellman/golf cart escort. They both delivered warm, gracious service.

Meals were generally very good and contained enough choices that I didn't have many repeats, especially at dinner. The tuna sashimi at Aquamarine restaurant is stellar.

I've vacationed in the Maya Riviera many times and Blue Diamond is among my favorite resorts. I will definitely consider a return visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank dbatlanta

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel was fabulous. We booked through Jetsetter and got a pretty good deal, I think. The Laguna Jr. Suite was enormous and beautiful. The grounds were also beautiful. The hotel is smaller than one of the huge all inclusives which was nice. We felt like we were the only people there at times.

The beach was nice. The best thing is the pier. I normally don't really like piers, but this one was really long and had beach chairs on it. We laid out at the end of the pier and the view is awesome! You can also snorkel right off of it. You could see a lot of fish just looking down from it.They also let us sit on the beach in front of the presidential suite since no one was in that room. It was nice. The chairs they have set up for everyone else are just kind of crowded.

The service was probably the best I have had. All the staff were friendly and seemed genuinely concerned with our stay. My husband lost his ring in the ocean (yep, really) and one of hotel guys on the beach ran to get us snorkel gear and then spent an hour snorkeling with us to try and find it. Crazy thing was my husband found it! It was so nice to have the help from someone at the hotel. The spa was also really nice. It rained one day and we hung out at the spa and took a yoga class. I wish I would have gotten a massage, but the saunas and huge hot tub at the spa were great!

The food was good. I would not say amazingt, but definitely good and better than a typical all inclusive hotel. I wish there was another option for breakfast, just because you get tired of going to the same place, but it was good, so not that big of a deal. The only other down side was that there was not that much to do at night, this place is definitely not that lively, but this was ok for us. We were also there during the low season, there just weren't that many people around. The bed was not as comfortable as I prefer (I prefer a little softer and this was definitely firm). However, we slept great. It was so quiet. The only other thing were the bikes. It is a 12 min walk from the front to the beach. You can call for a golf cart ride, but we felt bad calling for a ride every time. They also have bikes available so tried these out. They were terrible though. No air in the tires, the seat and pedals were falling off. They really needed some TLC. But again calling for a ride was just fine.

Overall this was a great stay for us and I would definitely come back if I ever returned to this area. Just really minor issues, nothing that would keep me from coming back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ash2815
Reviewed 9 June 2014

If you are looking for the ultimate in privacy and excellent service with a smile, you won't be disappointed! We arrived quite cranky, as my husband's luggage either never arrived at the airport, or was taken by someone else by mistake (we never found out), but they assured us they would keep checking on it and to go enjoy. At lunch I asked the bartender to "surprise me" and he proceeded to take this as his personal challenge of the day. Every time my glass was empty a new tropical concoction arrived: pear, passion fruit, guava, then hot pepper martinis. All the food we had was excellent. In Mexico they don't season food as heavily as we do here in Texas, but a little salt and pepper does the trick. The ceviche was perfect. The pier is serene. We stayed 3 nights and honestly there were never more than 10 other people in the same area (beach / pool / restaurant) when we were there (often we were alone). The Laguna Patio suite was huge, comfortable, beautiful, and very private. We had a problem with the toilet making a squealing noise and the maintenance came and fixed it while we had a lovely dinner. We didn't have a problem with our room being hot as I have read, but closed the curtains during the hot part of the day just in case. You are in the middle of the jungle so you have to realize that the AC may have difficulty keeping up. We were always comfortable. There was a bottle of chilled champagne ready in our room upon arrival, as well as top shelf liquor in the room. They don't water down drinks at all. We requested bikes and had fun using them throughout the property (although the walk is not too far to go anywhere). The bikes are not top of the line, no gears, but really fun beach bikes. The best part about this resort is the staff. I have been to a lot of places with great service, but sometimes service is pretentious. Everyone who works at the Blue Diamond seems to sincerely enjoy their jobs, and the service is warm and enthusiastic. I loved how they would say "It's a Pleasure". They don't even want you to lift a finger!
The beds by the pool are so comfortable you're sure to fall asleep. Every experience has a con, so below I'll list mine.
Pro's: service is impecable, very quiet, very private, food is great, top shelf drinks, huge rooms, beautiful grounds, everything is well-kept and clean, fun bikes, Temazcal ceremony cool (see below).
Con's. The only thing that I can think of that some may find to be a con is that service is a bit slow. Plan an hour for breakfast and a little longer for dinner if you dine at Ambar. But with that, you are free to relax and at no time ever feel like you're being rushed. The food is worth it!
You are in the jungle, so don't open your patio door at night! I made this mistake the first night and a bunch of bugs were let in. We didn't have this problem at all the other nights. Also, if you go out early in the morning, late at night, or for the Temazcal ceremony they give you bug spray for the mosquitos.
The two saunas at the spa were not on, and the ice fountain was also not functioning in the ladies locker room. My husband said everything was on and working on the men's side. I was the only person in the spa the day that I went, and when I finally came across a spa employee and told him the spas were off he said he would turn them on and they would be function in 20 minutes. We didn't stick around for it, but I imagine they're on a timer and if this is important to you you should check right when you get there.

Food: we were beyond satisfied! The juices in the morning are fresh and delicious! For breakfast I had poached eggs with hollandaise sauce, black truffles and asparagus; Mexican crepes; and eggs Caprese. All perfect! For lunches we tapas from ceviche and they were all great. Dinner at Ambar is five star. We had lamb; steak; delicious soups, and the desserts were great. Dessert offerings include your typical chocolate tort, which was great to more adventurous choices such as pear cake with blue cheese ice cream. Everything we had was great!
Our three days there were perfect for recharging! We would go for 5, but the resort is small so 7 may be too much for us.

Temazcal ceremony: I searched everywhere about this and couldn't find anything so I definitely wanted to share! They max at 12 people, so make your reservations. Plan on 2 hours. It's a Mayan ceremony to cleanse the soul and rid yourself of negative emotions. It's an interesting thing to take part in and we're glad we did it; but most of it takes place is the "Mother of the Moon" which is basically an enclosed sauna that they shovel in hot lava rocks, close the door and create steam with herb infused waters. We stayed in it longer that the shaman said we would (which is dependent on the participants), and is VERY HOT! Be sure that you're ok with heat and small dark places. I almost didn't make it through the entire thing, but am glad I did.

Weather: the weather report showed 90% rain all three days we would be there, and although cloudy and windy it only rained for us in the middle of one night. Not sure if it's the season, but visibility and wind prevented us from snorkeling. We were glad for the clouds and wind, though, as it kept it cool.

You won't be sorry you spent the money to go to this resort. We loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Laguna patio suite, but all the suites looked great. I don't see the bigger va...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stacie D
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Hello, my mom and I went to celebrate her 80th D-day. What an awesome place.The food is great and I can speak from experience,I've been to Riviera maya twice a year for about 10 years. The mussels in white wine sauce+++to die for plus the chef made my mom her own person b-day cake,Portions are very good. Also, the Peruvian ceviche-wonderful. we had a patio room was great...Loved the privacy of the back patio.Room is great, awesome bathroom with rain forest shower. Some maintenance problems,my fault because I never called about them.One side of shower never worked.TV had a mind of it's own,other than that we were very happy.Special thanks to Laura at the Ambar she's delightful. Special thanks to David, our personal bellman who made getting around the resort hassle free.All we had to do was tell the restaurant to call the bellman and he was there in about 5 minutes.Grounds are beautiful,but the place is very large,unless you are a good walker.However, no night life and carts are done at 11pm...My 80 year mother wanted to still stay out, but at night everything is quiet.Beach is the best in that area.Some seaweed,but it is the ocean. Omar our concierge went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable..This place truly has the best staff I have ever encountered when traveling to Mexico,,,plus they love their jobs and it shows,,,,2 real suggestions. Maybe a dj a couple of nights by the pool bar.One more place for dining, even if it is just light fare as an option

Room Tip: If you like privacy the patio rooms are great...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank laura b
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I was here for three nights! I went with a girlfriend and we absolutely loved it. We have been lucky to visit many all inclusive's and this was one of our favorites. It was so unique and personal. As others have mentioned it is more of a narrow long property with a beautiful stone walkway through the jungle. It has more of a homey feel rather than a resort. Our rooms were beautiful and although it rained/stormed a lot of our trip we decided we liked it because our room view was a river with the jungle right outside our patio. The sound of the storm was heaven and so relaxing in the room/ which was more of a condo. One morning we opened our door and there were two bikes waiting for us. So fun! Although the golf carts were always there within minutes of calling. And David and Cesar were so nice and funny!
I think the rain might have thrown housekeeping for a bit of loop as we had to call to request things a couple of times. The restaurants were very good and we were happy with most of our choices. The staff was amazing! Can't say enough about that. We had put on our card that we were celebrating a birthday. The waiters at Amber all came over and sang and gave us a lovely presentation of cake. The place was closing but they seemed in no hurry whatsoever when we called them back for pictures. Unfortunately I can't remember their names. Jesus at the other restaurant was awesome. The bartenders were all fantastic. We loved Irving's margaritas and Javier made us a funny monkey from a cantaloupe. Fredrico was great too. Now get this..Cesar on the beach brought us homemade wreaths for our heads the day we left. We loved him! Antonio, who provided chairs and towels for us was so friendly. There was another gentleman from the pool who put up with our requests for a umbrella on a stormy day and brought one up from the beach as they are sturdier. There is not much of a nightlife here so I would recommend going into town if that is what you want. We went next door to Secrets to look around around 5pm. The place was crazy loud with a lot of drunk people. I have stayed there before and liked it but this place is so much more relaxing. We did yoga one day in a room built just for that purpose. It will be difficult to go back to my gym after that experience.
There are a couple of things management should improve on. The pier needs to be stained and the I would like to see some flowering plants by the pool. The pool is kind of boring(except for the view) compared to the rest of the gorgeous resort. Also the rooftop of the restaurant looks stained from the beach. Thanks to you all! We will hopefully be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in a basic room but it is more like a Florida condo..loved it. There are fancier villa'...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kathleenh1964
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We have stayed at the Blue Diamond three times this year already! The service is a little slow, but the quality of room and food far surpasses most. It was previously a mandarin oriental property, need I say more. Amber restaurant is just wonderful. The beach is not the best but by far better than most. Adults only.

Room Tip: we liked the feel and size of the Lagoon rooms best
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hinesdar
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We've traveled to Riviera Maya 10 times, this was our first stay at Blue Diamond and won't it be the last. The resort is Absolutely beautiful. Our room was top notch, and the service they give you makes you feel so welcomed. It's a smaller resort (they said 80 ppl were in the resort when we stayed and full the resort held 228 ppl!...what?? ;) it's your OWN kind of paradise! If you've traveled to Mexico you know you are fighting for beach chairs and sharing the resort with hundreds of ppl. Beach chairs open everyday all day! Very imitate and they Wait on you hand and foot. They will even bring u lunch in your beach chair! Ahhh! I did get food poisoning from the beach Restaurant, (which was awful) but even with that we will still come back! Beach is nice (not the best I've seen) food was delish, rooms are amazing, property-pools were Superb. Can't say enough about how nice the resort is. Take Mosquito spray because you are in the jungle and the mosquitoes are terrible. Walk to the beach was about a 1/2 mile from our jungle room but upgrades (expensive) were available and there's always a golf cart ready to take u anywhere just a phone call away! Def recommend this place...breathtaking!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Jawhitesand
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#36 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!