“Overall Excellent Suite...Can't Beat it For The Price!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Freud

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa del Carmen
Casa Freud
Conshohocken
“Overall Excellent Suite...Can't Beat it For The Price!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2009

So after many many hours of deal searching we decided that it was better to be centrally located on 5th ave and go to different restaurants every night than to stay a few miles away in an all inclusive. I read the reviews from posada and decided to give it a shot, especially since I heard good things about the suite.
Booking was a breeze, email, paypal...done! Got the every so popular suite #5 for 5 nights.
Check-in was at about 2 I think and there was a guy sitting in a chair outside and we were in our room in less than 30 seconds.
Room was everything you needed. Nice ceramic tile floors, AC, Cable TV, big shower ( although water pressure was a little off but hey its mexico) and big bed with the all notorious rock hard mattress but again...its mexico. The best was the balcony where two french doors open to. There is a hammock where we spent some time napping and the view is great for people watching centrally located on 5th in between 8th and 10th.
The room was cleaned everyday by I'd say 3pm and of course we left a couple bucks a day for tip which in turn gets you a spotless room and a nice towel animal...very nice!
As far as everyone talking about the noise...yes siesta fiesta is next door but it didnt bother us and the suite is the only room that is open to the front of 5th ave. The sun and margaritas beat us up so bad that we were in bed sound asleep by midnight or so every night and as far as people saying there are mariachi bands playing in the morning or music...we woke up around 10am everyday to go to the beach and people were just opening their shops so again no noise here.
Grounds were kept immaculate with a nice courtyard and two family chiuauas running around
checkout was easy and a smooth walk to the ADO which by the way is the easiest and cheapest way to get to playa. Overall I must say for the price which I believe was about 90 bucks a night you couldn't ask for more and when I return to playa I will most definitely stay there.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
posadafr, owner at Casa Freud, responded to this review, 27 April 2009
Thank you for your nice review!

But I have to clear up, that we have NO PAYPAL service. Now, new guests want to pay us with paypal after reading your review, but that`s NO POSIBLE.
Hope to see you soon at Hotel Posada Freud
regards
Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
holland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2009

the first two nigths we stayed in the suite. we loved the location, the space and the view from the big balcony . also there was a relaxing hammock.
after those two nights we stayed in a standard room because the suite was'nt available.
this room was also a pleasant place to stay.
the service we've got from the staff was perfect managment and staff are very nice and lovely people.
we loved the little bar with his great atmosphere and excellent service.
the best mojito's on quinta avenida thx miguel!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

We stayed in a standard room (number 12) on the second floor for three nights last week. The price was right, the location was good. Everything was easy as pie.
We booked over the internaet, via email. Paid for the first night using PayPal, and paid the rest of the balance in cash at check out.
The bed was comfy (for Mexico anyway) and the room was cleaned well everyday. The only issue I had were the sheer curtains. People from the hotel across the way could see right into our room. I fixed this by hanging the extra blankets (in the night stand) up over the curtains.
Our room had AC (which we only used the first night, soon realizing there is no need for AC in February,) and a small refrigerator on the balcony, which we filled with food and cerveza from Wal-Mart - just a short walk away - to save money on eating (and drinking)out.
There was a safe in the room, which for a $10 deposit you can use, also there is a $10 deposit for beach towels. We had absolutely no problem getting our deposits back at the end.
We stayed out on the balcony most of the time. It looks over the cutest courtyard. It is shaded by a canopy of colorful leaves and has just the right amount of breeze to gently sway your hammock back and fourth. Plus at night you can hear the band playing from next door (the Siesta Fiesta) so there's no need to go out!
The noise was a bit of an issue though.
We had signed up for an Advanced Open Water Diver course with Scuba Playa (across the street) which, by the way, gives a 5% discount to patrons of the Posada Freud. We were trying to get to bed early every night for diving, so it was a bit noisy for that. We manged to adapt though. Unfortunately I came down with a terrible head cold and had to bow out after the first day of dive classes, but my boyfriend continued on with the course and had a good experience with the dive op. We both ended up getting plenty of rest in the long run, but if you are a very light sleeper, you might not want to even bother with this place.
Overall I would reccomend this hotel. It's cute and gives you a little bit more authenic experience than you get with big fancy All Inclusive hotels.
We will probably return.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Monterrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel because it was centrally located on the 5th of PDC, and the other options were already full. I have to say that we really regretted it since we arrived. I had asked the room to be ready by 2 pm (check out is at 12). But it wasn't and the dilletante staff didn't seem to mind much. At 6pm, the noise outside was already very high, and we came back to the room at 1 am and there were LOTS of noise from the downstairs bar (drunk people shouting). In the morning, the noise starts at 7am... So we didn't get 5 hours of decent sleep. There is no glass on the windows, just mosquito net, so you hear EVERYTHING going on outside.

I recommend staying near mamita's beach or in a perpendicular street to the 5th. You'll walk very little and will have peace and intimacy.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandrine M
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

I stayed with two friends a week-end in Playa del Carmen. I normally stay at the Kinbe (I highly recommend), but as it was full we opted for Posada Freud. And came to regret it greatly...

First of all the noise. I stayed in the suite which is overlooking the 5th av, and felt like I slept in a shop window. There was noise, noise and noise. From the bar beside until 2 am, and from the street as of 7 am (shops opening, a busy cafe is just in front of the hotel etc). So we got almost no sleep during a week-end which was suppost to be for recharging batteries.

If you come to Playa to party and need a hotel just to shower, this is the place as the location is good. However I think you can find a shower for less money. And beware, my room atleast had very little hot water so your showers will be cold!

Also the cleanliness of the room had a lot to wish for, and the bathroom built into the corner of the room half open would not be very comfortable if you are not staying alone in the room as it provides no privacy. Also I felt that the room lacked maintenance (fosets leaking, shower blocked so you stood in dirty water while showering, riped sheets etc).

No, no, no... I visit Playa 3-5 times a year and will NEVER stay in this hotel again. Kinbe Hotel is just as well located and like another world. There is no comparison.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2009

My family has just come back from our 2 weeks in playa! we stayed at a great little hotel on 5th ave for the first week and an all inclusive (terrible ! but we will get to that later) for the second....I did all bookings this time from the net, from flights to hotels to tours (balamcab.com, Henry will take care of you !) we arrived 23rd of Jan and had a private van pick us up at the airport, ordered from balamcab, and took us to our first hotel , it was called the posada freud, the manager there (Aldo) took care of use right away,As I have been talking with Aldo for about 4months by E-mail it was great to finally put a face to him, He set us up with a suite over looking 5th ave ( fantastic balcony with hammock , so it was me (mark) my wife (rose) and our 14 year old daughter (brianna) king bed for us and a pull out couch for our daughter ( yes i know what your all thinking and your right, very close quarters to share with your 14 year old daughter but i am ashamed to say i learn't so much about her that i did not know that i would not have changed it for the world! , Dont get me wrong my wife and i had our moments with her, she is a teenager after all) The Posado freud is a fantastic little hotel with great people looking after it , from the maids up to the management (Aldo) and the owner (christina, what a morning that was when they were putting up there new sign..me and my wife are still laughing )At the end of our week there ,we were trying to come with how we felt about our experience staying there and the only thing we can think of is it was ELECTRIC! would stay there again in a heart beat (next year the penthouse!) well i will post again in a day or 2 about the tours we took (thank you so much Henry from balamcab !) sorry to ramble on,next post will be better including pics
thanks

2 Thank CoolCanadians
Grand Junction
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2009

The wife and I are the adventures types, so armed with nothing but a couple of bags and a plane ticket, we flew to Mexico. We arrived in Cancun, and bought a bus ticket down to Playa. Arriving at the bus station, we stepped out on to the coble stone street and wondered which direction to go. We turned left up 5th, and started walking. Our first order of business was to find a room. We happened upon a discrete little boutique hotel, it was Posada Freud. We decided instantly to check in. (I would not try this plan during peak season) Being adventurous, we figured we would stay here for a night or two, until we found something else. As it was our first time in Playa, we really didn’t know what that “something else” was. In the end, we never left. The rooms, service, location and atmosphere was so wonderful, we new this was it. The reception area was quaint clean and friendly. As we headed to our room, we passed through the rod iron gates and into a small paradise. Large trees created a comfortable cool canopy of shade, and the small gardens were vibrant and immaculate. Our room was large and obviously well prepared and cared for. That evening we discovered one of the best things of all. While cozied up together in our large hammock, enjoying some cold beer and tequila that we stocked in our fridge and watching the little chirping geckos hunting for the occasional moth on our even larger balcony, we heard the firs tunings of a live band. Next door is a little bar that plays live covers until midnight. It became our nightly ritual after dinner and exploring, to cozy up and listen to the tunes and enjoy each others company. After 22 years and 4 kids those times are rare indeed. On subsequent trips we have gone back to make it our base of operations while exploring the Yucatan region. Posada Freud is a 3 min walk to the beach, and located so that you are instantly in the middle of all the shopping and dining you could ever want. They will assist and recommend you in getting tours of all the local sights and activities, or you can go to one of the many tour coordinator booths steps from your room.
We have met many good friends and had many good times at their quaint little bar. Edguardo and his lovely wife are the owners, and proudly talk about their place while happily sharing a drink with you. In the end, we have found a home away from home.
If you are the all inclusive type, Posada Freud is probably not for you, but if you are the type that enjoys friends and exploring a culture and all of its wonders from a place that feels like home; you could not ask for better.

J. Konrad
Grand Junction Co.

• Liked — The atsmopher and the people.
  • Disliked — i did not choose a room with AC
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank r8rnation