“Enjoyable stay with great location as long as you don't want an early night”
Review of Casa Freud

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa del Carmen
Casa Freud
Reviewed 22 January 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Posada Freud and thought the rooms and surrounding area was very nice. We stayed there over New Year and the best aspect for us was the location. This however, has it's downside as the bar next door has live bands playing until midnight and beyond but this did not particularly bother us as all but the last night (when we had to be up early to catch a bus to Tulum) we did not get back until 1 - 2am.
The place is quite difficult to find as the entrance is through their small bar and we walk pasted it 2 or 3 times. We got there quite late at night but had no problems checking in. There was a bit of a miss understanding over the room we booked, we decided to leave this until the next day to resolve, when were relocated without any fuss and the new room was great.
We read some of the comments about theft so, as we would in any other hotel, used the free safe deposit box at reception for passports and other valuables. We were given a receipt with a full itemised account of our belongings and all was return safely when we checked out.
I would recommend this hotel but only to people visiting PDC to enjoy the nightlife as well as the beach

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 January 2010

My family and I (group totaling 4 people) stayed in the penthouse for one week at the Posada Freud. The penthouse is amazing! It was so big, we could have comfortably added a few more people and still never get in each others way. The penthouse is designed and decorated very uniquely. You will truly feel at home from the moment you arrive.

The location of this hotel cannot be beat. Although the penthouse has a kitchen, which I planned on using for cooking meals, I never did use it once. The restaurants readily available in Playa Del Carmen quickly changed my mind about cooking. The food choices were plentiful, excellent and so convenient with hardly a walk to each favorite restaurant. But, in the event someone did want to cook in the kitchen, it was equipped nicely and was clean.

My family and I have been traveling between Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel for many years. I believe this was our 49th or 50th trip. Each of us has our own preferences on how to spend our time while on vacation. The location of the Posada Freud made it possible for each person to do what they wanted, and easily meet up at the bar without feeling like we were waiting on each other all week. There was no hassle of taking a taxi every time you wanted to go to dinner or to come home late at night after partying at a club.

Some may think that the noise level is an issue while staying right on the 5th. If you are a person who needs absolute quiet to sleep, and you like to be in bed sleeping before midnight, then maybe you should invest in a cheap pair or earplugs. Personally, I found the live music from the club next door to be a great addition to my vacation. The music was wonderful and it added to my experience. I enjoyed relaxing on the terrace and having drinks with family and friends while being entertained by the live band.

The staff at the Posada Freud are very friendly and helpful for any situation. From the moment you meet them, you feel appreciated and welcomed. The feeling of a smaller hotel cannot be beat when the staff know your name and greet you with a smile every time you return to your room. The staff are helpful with any request. While we were vacationing, Mexico had record breaking cold weather. The owners of the hotel brought extra blankets to us to be sure we were warm at night.

I cannot wait for another vacation to the Posada Freud. After traveling to Mexico many times, staying in many types of hotels, I have finally found the one I will return to time and time again. I would be comfortable staying in a smaller room if I were to travel alone or with another person. But, if vacationing with a group, I would certainly ask for the penthouse once again. It feels like a special get-away home tucked into the trees.

The only people I would not recommend this room for is anyone who may have a broken leg in a full cast. The stairs may be difficult for you to climb... for for anyone else, go for it! You will not regret it.

Shannon O'Brien

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Miguels Margaritas (made with reel fresh limes) are legendary....place has so much character and staff are so helpful/friendly....do anything for you....I have recommended this place on twitter and a lot of websites....also amazing value

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 10 days last year. We thought it was great hotel. The staff were really friendly and fun. The guy Aldo at the front desk was great help. Highly recommended

Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I've been staying at Hotel Posada Freud once or twice a year for nearly fifteen years. When I am in Playa del Carmen this is my home away from home.
Most recently (August) I brought my 79 year old mother here for her first visit to Playa. She loved this hotel and would not consider staying anywhere else. Each room is clean, beautiful, individual and unique. I've found the staff and owners to be polite, friendly, honest and helpful in every instance.
This is not a foo foo hotel. If you require monogramed linnen, bathrobes, irons at a moments notice, and a tuxedo wait staff that trips over themselves to wait on your every whim, you are better off at one of the many heartless mega resorts that line the resort strip. This is an honest family run hotel offering a safe beautiful place to stay for a reasonable rate.
If a washcloth is not delivered to your room in seconds, are you really going to let it ruin your stay? Relax, you are in Mexico.

Is it noisy at night? Sure. The bar next door plays carribean Cubano music or live acoustic guitar until midnight some nights. I rarely grow tired of the music but if have to sleep earplugs are an easy fix.

In fifteen years, I've never had a problem with the honesty of the maid staff. If I leave any money around it is always placed in a cup or bowl on the counter for my return.

Try Posada Freud. You will like it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
posadafr, owner at Casa Freud, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2009

THANK YOU so much for your realy nice review about us. Hope to see you and your mother soon at our hotel. Best regards from our family, Lippi and Princi

Reviewed 21 August 2009

If you are going to Playa del Carmen...give Posada Freud serious consideration....we thought it was the perfect location....right on 5th Ave where all the restaurants, bars, stores and all the fun in Playa is, in addition to being near the beach. The staff is friendly and efficient....the "Little Bar" that is attached to the Hotel is really fun. We met the owners too and they could not be nicer nor more considerate.

We strongly recommend Posada Freud! We shall return!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Posada Freud is great! Comfortable, clean, warm and friendly staff. It is located right on the main drag and only a stones throw from the beach. Ground zero for fun!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends