“Coffee tour”

Ranked #112 of 1,326 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$3 - US$5
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Description: We're a small independent coffee shop selling Mexican coffee. The beans are from Chiapas and toasted and blended here in Playa. We have light food to accompany your hot or cold coffees and teas. From filled bagels and croissants to light salads and delicious cakes and cookies. Sanctuary just a block and half from the busy 5th Avenue and right in the centre of town. You can pop in for your coffee fix and a chat or grab one and run. We have a delivery service too if you need us! Free wi-fi and a smile. Hope to see you soon!
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I love to drink/make coffee. After reading reviews on trip advisor we decided to make the long/hot trek to this place to try it out. We were not disappointed at all! We both ordered a mocha and thought it was fantastic. We started taking with the owner about how much we like coffee and he let us taste the coffee beans and explained where they get them from. We then bought two bags of excellent Chiapas coffee beans to take back to the US! We then continued our coffee tour and tried 3 more places. This one was the best!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

First off, let me be straight -- the owner is a really nice guy. He is very friendly, positive and interesting. A real joy to chat with.

That's unfortunately where the story ends. The frozen/blended drinks are made with powdered milk, the ingredients are sub-par, and the results are obvious. I saw many cheapo grocery store ingredients behind the counter. If you're thinking Ghiradelli chocolate in your Mocha, this is the polar opposite of that type of coffee shop. I've had far better blended drinks at Dunkin Donuts or even at a grocery store Starbucks in the US.

I ordered a blended mocha, and was surprised while watching the creation of the drink. Lots of tiny measurements of powders. Not the methodology used when creating high quality coffee drinks, but what seemed to be a clever "workaround". It also took about a minute and a half to get all the little powders correct, it seemed like there was a strategic meeting going on behind the counter, and then finally, add a few ice cubes for the actual "liquid" element of the creation.

Needless to say, and unfortunately so, I got sick after consuming this creation.

I wonder if people from the UK simply aren't that up to snuff on objective coffee shop reality and espresso-world Barista skills? I was scratching my head and gripping my stomach as I limped home and pledged to never give up on my search for a perfect drink made by a highly skilled Barista in Playa del Carmen. Which I actually found a few days later, thank God. It is called Luna Azul.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Definitely the best coffee in town!
I've been a part time local in Playa for 10 years and was so happy when I stumbled across Coffee Stop. If you're used to the perfectly brewed latte cappuccino or coffee from back home...there's is as good or better! And they have it made with local beans.
It's quick and delicious.
Paul the owner is lovely, if you need advice about the local eats and great places to go he's an amazing resource and always happy to help.
Go!!!!!!!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Made the trip to check out Coffee Stop and we were not disappointed at all. The mocha was amazing and we even ended up buying beans from the local roaster that Coffee Stop uses. Extremely friendly and accommodating staff. We will definitely stop by again the next time we are in Playa!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I had the best mocha ever at the Coffee Stop not to mention the chocolate cake. WOW! We brought our son in for his birthday cake. We didn't have high hopes of finding a delicious cake in Playa. Boy were we surprised! The cake was fabulous. Truly the best chocolate cake ever. What a gem of a place. The true charm is the owner, Paul. Nice to chat with and seems honestly interested in your stay.