“Great Girls Week!”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #47 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I had a great week with 3 other girlfriends, week of Feb. 5 - 12th. I had been to this resort two years ago when it was still a family resort. Now it's 'adults only' and it's great! Check in wasn't the fastest, but it was accurate. We had to wait for our room, but it was ready by 1:30, and by that time we'd spend a few hours poolside after enjoying a delicious lunch from the pool buffet.

Accommodations: Rooms are decent size, newly updated, and immaculate. Each has a little deck/balcony with two chairs, and all the amenities you'd expect. Face clothes are hard to come by, but we had loads of larger towels.

Grounds: Very well maintained and clean. Lots of walking and that's a good thing with all the good food.

Food: Excellent! Main buffet & pool buffet both had a variety of items each day. There are the standby's... fresh bread that is out of this world, fresh guacamole, chips, and salsa, fruit etc.... Mornings offered great omelettes and many interesting Mexican dishes. Lunch always a choice of a few meats - fish, chicken & pork...sometimes even buffalo chicken wings. Dinner buffet was good, and the a la cartes were all excellent. The most disappointing was the Mexican restaurant. It was good, but nothing to write home about. The Italian had a few excellent pasta dishes - cooked perfectly to a la dente. I do not like mushy pasta! We did try a seafood casserole that was a little odd... pretty much shrimp in tomato sauce and too salty. Everything else was great.

We went to the Japanese restaurant twice - one with regular seating, the other at the tapenaki table and both were very good. Suffice to say we all came home in tighter clothes. Moises made sure we were looked after with seating and greeting, and Benjamin was an excellent server... so gracious. Thank you boys!

Bars: Havier at the pool bar is a genius with margherita's and all were attentive and did their best to keep up with the crowds. I think the longest I ever had to wait was maybe 5 minutes and that was the exception.

The entertainment staff was a lot of fun. The evening shows were a bit of a joke. It's dancing and lipsinking and not very good at that. The dancing outside after the show was fun though. So nice to dance outside in fresh air instead of a dark stinky disco.

Ricardo, aka 'Sexy Boy' was their ringleader ... very sociable and interacted with all the guests constantly... not in a pushy way either. Suzanne was also very social and friendly. We did participate in a few aquatics classes, and afternoon games, and everything was done in a fun way.

The activity hut also housed a lending library... always good to know you can find another paperback on a lazy holiday.

I think Ocean Maya is very close to their 5 star rating... I'd still rank it as a 4.5... better communication in some of the areas would be helpful... many struggle with even basic English. Bottom line we had a great holiday and I'd certainly keep this resort in mind if I was to go back to Mexico.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice... we were in the 13 block which was perfect. We were close to breakfast, dinner...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank JonesBurner
Jose Alejandro G, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am really happy to read that you and your two friends had a lovely time at the Hotel. Thank you for all the good comments about the food and the service. Thank you for remember some names of our staff, I will make sure that they do know how they contribute to make your vacation a wonderful time.

We hope you come back soon!

subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Write a ReviewReviews (6,826)

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Have just returned from the Ocean Maya Royale and can honestly say this was the best holiday out of 5 in the Mayan Riviera yet! The staff were unbelievable - Dulche (Sweety), Luis (who never ever went home), Fernando, Jobina, and all of the entertainment staff were just the best! The grounds were kept in immaculate condition by the hard workers. And I am not sure what the rest of you expected with the food but we felt it was the best out of the 4 resorts we have stayed in and really enjoyed the food - every night!!! The fact that there was no children at the resort (thankfully) this kept the hot-dogs, hamburgers and pizza to a minimum - thank God!! The drinks were stupendous and I honestly can't find one thing that I could complain about at all! The rooms were very large and kept so very clean. As for the beach - the staff were up before dawn trying to keep it clean and in case no one mentioned it the wind was relentless but to the best of my knowledge - the hotel can't control that!! If you had walked down the beach - some of the hotels were much worse than this!!
We had booked a "Ocean View" room to start with and weren't really impressed with the view when we got there and all we had to do was ask for a better room and we were moved immediately - can't say this has ever happened before at any other resort! Thanks to Dulche aka Sweetie!! I believe the fact that this is an adults only resort makes it much friendly and we met so many wonderful people there from all over - the UK (Chris & Linda & Lorraine & her husband), Steve and the group from Iowa and of course my new pool buddies from Sarnia (Larry the cable guy & John Candy & Stacey and the rest of you - way too much fun). And I particularly glad I didn't meet Marissa from wherever as she has a pretty lousy attitude as well as lousy spelling and grammar! There is just no pleasing some folks! We would return to the Ocean Maya Royale in a heartbeat and probably will next year! The weather was not really the best but who can order that up! As one of the pool guys said - it's all inclusive that means the weather too!! It's all in the attitude folks!! And please try and remember - you are not paying the same price as you would at Secrets or a Rui hotel!! And as for the plane "malfunction" - something else we can't control! And kudos to Transat for putting us up at the Moon Palace - not the type of place for me but entirely lovely just way too big! I honestly feel that if you aren't happy at the Ocean Maya Royale resort - you just aren't a happy person and stay home!! Wonderful people, staff and resort in general!!

Room Tip: Building #11 in front of the pool is terrific and the windows really sound proof it during the after...
5  Thank devonalberta

We just got back from Ocean Maya Royale. Feb 4 to Feb 11, 2012

TERRIBLE

First Terrible = We did not get the room we paid for. Room 307 is not a Honeymoon suite, which we paid for to celebrate our 31st anniversary. This was clearly intentional by the Hotel management, as indicated by the personalized greeting in our room upon arrival. We met others who also paid for upgrades but never received. So if You book for an upgrade , be prepared not to get it.
Second Terrible = Folks , You have to discard your Soiled Toilet paper in a waste basket. Their low flush toilets can't handle toilet paper. Bring on your trip some Glad kitchen catcher garbage bags with odor gaurd. This will make your event a bit more tolerable.

BAD

1 = Beach and surf. Don't expect to go swimming in the ocean
2 = Bar staff do not look at your bracelet to determine if you are entitled to the top shelf booze. All orders are made with the generic stuff. They will give you the top shelf stuff when you ask, but you have to ask each and every time. Additionally, it doesn't matter what bracelet you are wearing, as even those not entitled to the top shelf, were given it just by asking for it. (once again so much for a paid upgrade)
3 = Room was extrememly damp. All our clean clothes felt wet when put on the first time
4 = ( This one fits into bad / good category) The tour desk operators in the lobby, filled out the vouchers, for our excursion, incorrectly. And were not acceptabed when the bus came to pick us up. (another couple had same issue). However, after a small discussion, the tour guide allowed us on the bus. He called ahead to our destination to make arrangements for new vouchers to be prepared and waiting.

GOOD

1 = Food was good , not great , but good. All Ala-cartes were dissapointing. Food was good, but nothing knocked your socks off. Quality of food in ala-cates was equal to buffet, you just didn't have to go and fetch.
2 = Bug control. The hoards of ants on our balcony would approach the door sill but all refused to cross. As such , the room itself was bug free.
3= Every member of the staff regardless of their job, greet you with a smiling Hola. They all want to let you know that you are welcomed, and they appreciate your patronage. The birthday cake and personal message left in my room was a nice touch.
4= "Privilege" bracelet was good from the point of always having a padded beach chair with waitress service available. Pool side chairs never readily available. Additionally the bracelet offers a secluded room to enjoy your buffet breakfast and meals. You don't appreciate this feature until you leave the room only to walk through the noisy and busy common area. Privilege also gave us free internet WI-FI in our room and throughout the property.
5= Normal check out is 12 noon. We had asked for a late check out of 6 PM. This was granted with no extra charge, and made a huge difference in our enjoyment of our final day.

WONDERFULL

THE CLEANING STAFF deserve more attention and appreciation. They work absolutely non stop and with great continuous effort where their personal pride in a job well done is reflected.

1 = We always tip bar staff and room maids, but If you go to this resort, I would like to ask all to tip the gal that cleans the courtyard outside the lobby bar. Every stroke of her mop is with effort and pride and completed with a glowing smile on her face. Plus her attention to your safety is also highly noticeable.

2 = We left the resort for an excursion for a day. About an hour into our excursion, I noticed that I lost the lock to our room safe. This bothered me and perhaps distracted my enjoyment of the day. When we got back to our room late afternoon, I noticed the Do Not Disturb sign was posted on our door (Not how I left it) . When we entered, the room was left untouched, still a mess. But there on the table was my safe key, the safe was wide open. All contents of the safe , money, passports , IPad, etc were all intact exactly how we left them. The room maid had huge integrity in noticing my lack of security attention, and left the room alone, placing the placard on the door to tell other staff not to enter. When I think of what could have happened, and what I could have lost, I am truly thankful for the cleaning staff and have the highest respect for them.

Overall recomendation = This resort is good if you are with a group, and not interested in swimming in the ocean. Pay for the lowest end room you can get with the "Privelege" feature.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tom H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. we do apreciate you taking the time to write such a complete review. We are really sorry for any inconvenience occured during your stay, starting by not geting what you paid for. For what I can read these issues did not stop you from having a good, which make us very happy. We will be working on your comments for our future improvement.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

We went to a touroperator and asked for a luxurious, all-in resort, adults only, and a outdoor temperature around 30° C, no matter where. And so w went to the Ocean Maya Royale in Mexico.

We got what we wanted and so much more. The OMR hotel is simply paradise. What to say? Let's start with it's very friendly and professional staff. All personnel is very helpful. They do their job with joy and pride.

The site is perfect. The hotel is situated near the coast, between Cancún and Playa del Carmen. In the lobby is a nice bar and some shops - with acceptable prices for fashinable jewelry. The cocktails are ok, the coffee is superb. There's even a special coffeebar, called "Mike's", with exquise mocha frappé and delightful vanilla latte, thanks to the lovely and skillful Karolina. The toilets are very clean - turn your back and a lady pops up cleaning the smallest spot. It's necessery though with those drunken tourists ...

Just outside the lobby is the theatre, where shows are given (there's also a pool table). Don't expect broadway, but you will have about an hour of good entertainment each day at 9:30 p.m. You will meet the performers (especially Amy and Daniela) at other occasions too: it's the entertainment team that keeps you busy near the pool! Two pools are available, not heated though. Since no children are allowed at the premises, there's no splashing, no running, no shouting ... Unless some noisy Americans checked in - but, hey, if it aren't Americans, some other group of noisy people will spoil a fraction of the splendid atmosphere. The facilities are plenty, so you can always look for a quiet place. The beach itself is not lengthy - about 30 metres - but that suffices to get in and out the caribean. There are enough seats for everyone to find a place to sunbath, read, sleep ... under palmtrees or parasols, on the sand, near the pool. If you happen to get bored, you can jetski, have a massage, learn Spanish, ... Or take a tor to a cenote, Chitzen Itza, Ek Balam, Playa del Mar, Villadolid, ... what we all did. Take a day per visit, booked inside the hotel. At the hotel you can go to the spa into the hot tub (reservations needed).

The restaurants serve good food. There's El Hacienda, with a grand buffet, sometimes thematic. At Yokooso you can eat 'teppaniaki': you sit around a grill with 8 while a chef cooks on the spot. The Mexican-Japanese cook does his best to give a entertaining performance with his knife abd fork, but the food he prepares is better. We also choose à la carte', and that was very nice: artfully served and honest flavours. The new Italian restaurant 'La Dolce Vita' is situated at the end of the premises, near the beach. The dishes aren't big, but they're very, very good. El Charro is located next to the pools. It's genuines Mexican food. During the afternoon you can have a snack there. Try the splendid beef hamburger with cheese and fries with cheddar on the side.

The rooms are located in two level villa's. If you have the chance to book with ocean view, make sure you are on the second level. The rooms are in perfect condition, the cleaning ladies are the best. Leave the airco on at a perfect 22°C. The boxspring beds are exactly what you need.

Don't forget a walk on the beach at sunset. And experience moonrise out of the sea. For honeymooners like us, it IS paradise. We for sure will go back to Ocean Maya Royale (5 years from now...).

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the pool, second level, ocean view. They're expensive, yes. A hot tub at...
2  Thank Gustaaf C
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Traveled with two other couples. The entire staff made us understand what "privileges" are all about! Thanks to Luis Castillo, Claudia Espinosa (guest services), we felt Very Special. We had a private dinner with Executive Chef, Deyanira Gonzalez that was Fantastic! Ivonc served our drinks at the "Privilege Section" of the beach and was the perfect host. It's true she did know our names after the first day! I would tell everyone to advantage of the "Privilege Package." Thanks again to everyone and General manager Giovanni Gil for a pampered holiday. Just a note to all travelers, "a Smile and a Thank-You," goes a long way.

Will recommend this location to everyone!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TAGJR_11

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. Thank you for so many good comments about our staff and the Hotel. I would like to thank you in the name of the General Manager and Deyanira, our executive chef. It was a real pleasure for her to invite you for her special dinner.

We hope to see you very soon!.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

This resort looks great but it is no 5 star. My husband and I whent Privalege if you are thinking of this option save your money. I had read reviews of previouse guests bad and good and thought we would take our chances. We had simalar problems like the other guests.
1. They didn't have our room we booked we had to downgrade we had seen this in a few reviews.
2. The bed was hard as a rock
3. The beach WHAT BEACH!!! It is not like they advertise
4. Water was an isue they are very cheap with the bottle water remember to use it when you brush your teeth.
5. Food is o.k not great no 4 or 5 star
6. The spa is a joke save your money and tip. I don't think they have any training my 13 year old can give a better massage. No pampering at this place. Not worth it.
7. We would of liked a nice fancy drink you know with the fruit and stuff , no such luck
8.I think we had a drink down on the beach 5 times waitresses are scarce. You have to get them yourself. oh ya and no food on the beach. You can't leave the Buffet with a plate and take it to your room. or any of the other restaurants. You can get room service but it has a very small salection and it was always cold when it came (NOT GOOD)
if you get the pancakes make sure to ask for syrop if you don't you won't get any same with cream for your coffee. Also they do not give it in your room with the coffee maker just coffee.
9. the front desk staff are no help what so ever don't try to get change because they never seem to have any or if you have a problem they will push you of to the next guy and the guy after that or the guy that will be in the next day. They play dumb.
10. We asked for bug spray and was told they don't keep it incase people are alergic to it. But she offerd to get my room sprayed. Does that make sence????? There are some bugs that live in the sand kinda like a nociam very tiny my husband got bit like crazzzy they didn't seem to like my blood. I was fine.
11. The gift shop/candy shop I left my camera in the gift shop when and sat down for breakfast and noticed I didn't have it. I ran back and asked if she saw it, the girl held out her hands slapped them together and shook her head no then proceeded to read her book. She didn't even offer to look with me. As I left I yeld at her, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!

I have to say this as a big big let down. Not as it appears we don't travel much and have never been to Mexico this was our first time. I guess I was expecting what all our friends have expierianced good and great things and they go twice a year not to this resort. After what we told them they will not be trying the Ocean Maya Royal. Just because they put Royal in the name doesn't make it Royal service NOT A 5 * maybe a 3 or 4 .

When you book a trip that looks like they offer high expectations they should live up to them and deliver no less. We didn't expect caviar dreams, but we didn't think we would get sardine dreams.

The good things I can say is they have hard working general staff I feel bad for them they have to work at a place like this. I think we ended up tipping about $300 in 7 days bring a lot of $1 bills remember the front desk won't give you any. And if you have a drink you like at home that isn't on the menue the bartenders will try to make it for you. We gave $1 every drink. I asked one guy how many hour he worked he said 8 yet I saw him there from morning to night. They work hard. Can't say the same for the privilege staff.. Walk down the beach for about 15min and you will find a nice lagoon.

Don't stay in the privilege building it is the farthest from the beach.

Take Care and hope you have a great trip....

6  Thank Marissa1976

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your vacation with us, but I must say that our standards have not been reflected on this situation and that we work hard averyday to make the best of our guest´´s vacation. Thank you for bringing all these points up and I can ensure that we will be taking them into consideration to improve for our future customers.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

I took my mom to this resort for her 50th birthday, as her first ever trip to Mexico. She was so excited as we made our way to the beach the first morning...only to find that the water was a nasty brown. While this isn't the resorts fault, it is a definite turn off. There were many things we liked about the resort, but also many things we didn't like. As this is not my first stay at an all-inclusive, I can say that I wouldn't return here, or refer my friends here.

First, the good things. The staff are exceptionally friendly, and are always there to lend a helping hand. The resort, and its grounds are beautiful, and all of the wildlife is so exciting to see. Almost every drink we ordered was wonderful, and if we were in the lobby, or out in the plaza area, or by the pool, we were waited on hand and foot. The shows the entertainment staff put on were great and it was nice to have something to do in the evening. I told the resort it was my mom's birthday and they had a cake and wine waiting in the room for us! That was super exciting for her!

The bad: We never got sick from the food or water, but I would say the food is average at best. Nothing really wowed us. There was no service at the beach, unless you were a privilege customer. If you aren't a privilege customer, don't count on eating at the hibatchi table in the Japanese restaurant unless you wait until 9:00 pm. Unless of course, you get lucky and there is a cancellation while you're there, which we did on our last night after we were seated at a regular table. The restocking of towels, especially washcloths in our room was subpar. We went three days with only one wash cloth and when I asked the staff for more, she told me to press zero and ask the front desk. I called the front desk, and by the next day, still no wash cloths. And no coffee. We stopped by on our way to breakfast, and finally more wash cloths were delivered after noon, and we had already requested more by the cleaning staff that came in that day.

My biggest complaint about the resort is the lack of water. We were given three bottles of water in the room. One for coffee, and two in the mini fridge. When we requested more, we were told we would have to pay for it. You can't get bottled water anywhere, only glasses from the dispenser. On our last day, we decided to skip breakfast to get in some beach time before check-out at noon. I couldn't get water from anywhere until the bar opened at 10:00 am. I was told they were closed, and they wouldn't even give me water. You should not have to go without water, at any time at an all inclusive resort.

I have stayed at much better places, particulary the Valentin Imperial Maya. While it may cost a bit more, I would return there before returning to this resort.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends