I had a great week with 3 other girlfriends, week of Feb. 5 - 12th. I had been to this resort two years ago when it was still a family resort. Now it's 'adults only' and it's great! Check in wasn't the fastest, but it was accurate. We had to wait for our room, but it was ready by 1:30, and by that time we'd spend a few hours poolside after enjoying a delicious lunch from the pool buffet.
Accommodations: Rooms are decent size, newly updated, and immaculate. Each has a little deck/balcony with two chairs, and all the amenities you'd expect. Face clothes are hard to come by, but we had loads of larger towels.
Grounds: Very well maintained and clean. Lots of walking and that's a good thing with all the good food.
Food: Excellent! Main buffet & pool buffet both had a variety of items each day. There are the standby's... fresh bread that is out of this world, fresh guacamole, chips, and salsa, fruit etc.... Mornings offered great omelettes and many interesting Mexican dishes. Lunch always a choice of a few meats - fish, chicken & pork...sometimes even buffalo chicken wings. Dinner buffet was good, and the a la cartes were all excellent. The most disappointing was the Mexican restaurant. It was good, but nothing to write home about. The Italian had a few excellent pasta dishes - cooked perfectly to a la dente. I do not like mushy pasta! We did try a seafood casserole that was a little odd... pretty much shrimp in tomato sauce and too salty. Everything else was great.
We went to the Japanese restaurant twice - one with regular seating, the other at the tapenaki table and both were very good. Suffice to say we all came home in tighter clothes. Moises made sure we were looked after with seating and greeting, and Benjamin was an excellent server... so gracious. Thank you boys!
Bars: Havier at the pool bar is a genius with margherita's and all were attentive and did their best to keep up with the crowds. I think the longest I ever had to wait was maybe 5 minutes and that was the exception.
The entertainment staff was a lot of fun. The evening shows were a bit of a joke. It's dancing and lipsinking and not very good at that. The dancing outside after the show was fun though. So nice to dance outside in fresh air instead of a dark stinky disco.
Ricardo, aka 'Sexy Boy' was their ringleader ... very sociable and interacted with all the guests constantly... not in a pushy way either. Suzanne was also very social and friendly. We did participate in a few aquatics classes, and afternoon games, and everything was done in a fun way.
The activity hut also housed a lending library... always good to know you can find another paperback on a lazy holiday.
I think Ocean Maya is very close to their 5 star rating... I'd still rank it as a 4.5... better communication in some of the areas would be helpful... many struggle with even basic English. Bottom line we had a great holiday and I'd certainly keep this resort in mind if I was to go back to Mexico.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen