“A hotel that is worthy of its 5 stars”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #48 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Denholme, United Kingdom
“A hotel that is worthy of its 5 stars”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Myself and partner visited this hotel for 2 weeks from 30th June 2013 to 14th 2013 and been our first Mexican holiday having been to Cuba 3 times Dom rep 3 times and Jamaica twice.
My partner had been wanting to try Mexico for a few years where I'd always been 50/50 but decided let's give it a go.

THOMPSONS - flight in premium going out was fine , food great and plenty of drink choice.
A smooth flight taking 10 hrs
Flight back on the Dreamliner in premium not so good. The design of the middle but that holds the inflight entertainment is terrible and am surprised it passed health and safety as if your over a size 8 you struggle to get to your seat ( if sat at a window or in the middle of the 3 seats. ) drinks were not offered often , the light show was good but can't see the point in it to be honest. The toilets are better. Don't think it did much for jet lag as stated.
Our flight back was supposed to take 9 hours 18 mins ( seemed to take a long route over as much land as possible it seemed ,hmmmm wonder why.?) unfortunately we ended up on the plane 15 hours as we were circling over Liverpool for 30 mins waiting to see if fog would clear over Manchester so we could land. The auto landing hadn't been tested on the Dreamliner so was not safe to land apparently . We were them told we would be diverting to gatwick. Had to wait 3 hours stuck on the plane waiting for another crew to fly us to Manchester. Given a biscuit and a 50ml juice each.nothing else offered even for us in premium. Eventually landed in Manchester at 11.45am and it was a rough landing.
Anyway back to the hotel.

Transfer took over a hour , we were the last drop.
Check in fast and were offered a cold cocktail.
Given 2 key cards 2 towel cards and a safe lock and key ( not digital safes)
A map and details of bars and restaurants .
First impressions were good. Grounds as many have said are lovely.

Our room was in block 24 , nice position but not really a view. You had to walk across a bridge and a bit of uneven ground that could be quite dangerous if not steady on your feet.
Room was large and modern. Couldn't fault it at all, air con worked a treat, only problem we had was the Mosquitos. Had our room sprayed 3 times in total.
Robes and slippers provided. Slippers very comfy.
Mini fridge stocked daily with 2 beers 4 sodas and 2 water.
We had a bottle of fizz awaiting our arrival too.
Toilet tissue not to be flushed but to be out in bin at side , thought I might have a issue with this but got used to it. Gets emptied everyday so no unpleasant smells.

The shower is good . You do need to let it run for about 4 mins before it gets hot. Just a tip in case you jump in and think there's no hot water, give it time there is plenty. Try having the shower head pointing more to the wall too has you will flood the bathroom if not.

Grounds and wildlife- as stated before the grounds are kept very well and spotless, don't think I spotted a piece of rubbish of cig butt once.
The wildlife is great, loads of iguanas which like grapes. We only saw deer once unfortunately.
I loved the coatie there so friendly and gentle , feed from you hands and are so sweet. Loved them.

FOOD - cant say I had one bad meal, the fruit at this hotel is the best I've come across.
Presentation is also top. That goes for the Buffett too. Try the Mexican soup in El Charro, it to die for , I don't do soup either but I had it twice.
The steak in the Italian is a must also.
Japanese as a nice atmosphere. I asked for sweet and sour chicken instead of pork on my 3rd visit and they made it for me specially. Was best sweet and sour I've had.

POOLS. We stayed at the quite on all the time and loved how it was shallow in parts for you to just sit and cool off with your read.
No broken tiles and clean.
Never went in the other pool so can't really comment. Always very lively.
Pool bar opens at 10am but you can get water before. We took a bottle each from the mini fridge first thing with us. Waitress service round pool from about 11am .
STAFF- all pleasant and friendly don't think I met any that weren't. Tipped as we normally do though wasn't expected. We tipped in dollars in bars and maid but peso in restaurants .
SHOWS- we did see most of the shows and they were good, I loved the grease one but unfortunately didn't see the end as my partner was sick, only a 24 hour thing.

MIKES CAFE- love this place, shame it doesn't open till 4pm. We visited daily bang on 4pm to Skype my daughter. Love raspberry iced tea and the coconut smoothie were my favourites my partner liked his cappichino .
They do a selection of sandwiches and cakes too. On our first day there after a long flight we decided to have a sandwich there before retiring to bed.
It's air conditioned too unlike the lobby .

WIFI- works in the lobby, mikes cafe and in the Buffett but only in parts. Only went down once while we were there for a few hours. You can get it all over for a cost of 15 dollars a day. We were happy with the free wifi in lobby and mikes cafe.

Overall this hotel ranks my favourite so far, I'm looking at the ocean coral for next year as we are taking out twins next year and they won't be 18 till the month after. But if I was to choose any hotel that I'd been to this one would get a second visit.
Mousemotts review also sums up what I thought.
Any questions feel free to message me.

Room Tip: Email ahead and ask for what you want, I did and got 2 out of 3 things I asked for.
15 Thank clare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,560)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This Hotel is amazing! The resort is not very big, which makes it easily accessible. The grounds and the rooms are extremely clean. The restaurants offer a large variety of food to please everyone.

The staff does everything they can to make your vacation as memorable as possible.
Añy Martell was an incredible part of the entertainment group. Her smile is contageous. She is very successful in ensuring that all guests are having fun at all times and she is very sweet ans sincere.

When it comes time to having drinks in the lobby Jiovannetti is at your service. This sweet waitress makes sure that you never run out of anything. She is very hard working and is always in a good mood.
I would have to say that these two employees are the ones that really made a difference in my vacation. However all the staff is really nice.

I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone. Whether you are someone who likes to be active and participate in different activities, or you simply like to relax and not be bothered with anything. This resort is for you!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Kristyn1988
pierrefonds
Reviewed 30 July 2013

A+ to this resort. We have been to Riviera Maya 7 times in the past few years and stayed at several different 5 star resorts. This was our best experience of all. Excellent service, beautiful site and warm and friendly staff. Annie from the entertainment team and Jiovannetti who served us every night at the lobby bar are both exceptional people. They are always smiling and very welcoming. The food was great, from the buffet to the three a la carte restaurants that you didn't need to make reservations for and were able to go as many times as you like. The pools are clean and the site is impeccable. Also enjoyed seeing all the different animals on site including deer! We had an amazing time and can not think of anything negative to say about this resort!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Rejean P
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay at the Ocean Maya. Friendly, helpful staff that work so hard to make your stay enjoyable. The price of the hotel kind of requires you tip more often than other hotels I have stayed in in Mexico but staff are still friendly if you don't tip every time. Very clean and all drinks are restocked daily in the (modern and clean) room. The a la carte restaurants are nice but not as 'special' as others I've encountered in all inclusive Mexican resorts before- however, this can be a bonus because you don't have to queue at 7am to book or have a long wait if you want a table.

We have enjoyed our stay and love that it's adults only. It isn't party central but you can always get a taxi out of the resort and find your own fun in Playa del Carmen or Cancun.

Tip: the location of the hotel means a £10 taxi to Playa and £30 taxi to Cancun.

Tip 2: do swim with whalesharks but book via the watersports people not the holiday rep- you will save $30 for the same trip!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank CjH1981
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at OMR for 18 days from July 4-21 to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary. Forgive me for its length and redundancy of some of what is already said on TripAdvisor, but I find great value in detailed reviews. If you’re looking for more (with menus and lots of pictures!) please visit http://smstripsandtravels.blogspot.com/2013/07/ocean-maya-royale-playa-del-carmen.html.

Property & Rooms
The grounds were beautiful and the villa (vs. hotel) set-up gave the resort a very comfortable, personal and private feel. There was a lot of wildlife on the premises who made themselves very comfortable. We saw a deer and her fawn, coaties, raccoons and lots and lots of iguanas. I was a little leery of the raccoons, but the rest were harmless and have clearly made a home at Ocean Maya.

We were very pleasantly surprised when we received an upper level oceanfront room (1207). These rooms are difficult to come by and it had a great view and a great location. The room was a nice size with a king sized bed, sitting area and large balcony. Upon arrival, there was a personalized note, chocolate-covered strawberries and a bottle of red wine. On my birthday, they surprised us with a cake, champagne and balloons in the room and on our anniversary, they had a bottle of sparkling wine delivered to the room.

Pools & Beach
There was a quiet pool and a party pool. We spent every day at the quiet pool, but watched and sometimes participated in the games and activities being played in the party pool. There was daily entertainment at the party pool, including trivia, water polo, volleyball, soccer, etc. We saw Edwardo nearly every day as he walked around the pools to sell spa treatments. He was never pushy and very charismatic. Regarding people reserving chairs, it’s true. We could see both pools from our balcony, so we would wake up early (7 am) to see the status. By 7:30, half the chairs (all chairs with umbrellas) at the quiet pool were reserved and very few at the party pool. I’ve read that some people had no problems, but it simply has to do with occupancy. Our trip covered three different weeks and it was consistent throughout. Even though we didn’t want to be a part of the “towel game” we really had no choice. It was the only way to get a chair at the pool. Sure, we were initially irritated when people reserved chairs and didn’t show up until 12-1 pm, but I wasn’t going to let it bother me. Personally, I would prefer the resort not adding more chairs to the quiet pool because it would lead to a much more crowded pool and pool area. I honestly don’t know what the resort can do to alleviate the problem. There were plenty of beach chairs, but we’re simply pool people and did what we had to do.

We found the beaches to be less than stellar compared to the beaches of Cancun, although there were a few days when the water was crystal clear. OMR has two small beaches that are well-maintained. In the middle of the resort’s beach is a boardwalk with bali beds for guests. We walked a mile+ in either direction from our resort and the beaches at Ocean Maya FAR surpass those at other resorts. We walked past water that you wouldn’t want to step a foot into (Blue Bay next door was terrible). We had heard about a lagoon that was a 15-20 minute walk from the resort. We attempted to walk there by ourselves (which many others have done) but came across a desolate and precarious area, so opted to turn around. The following week, we joined an organized tour through the resort and walked with a group of people. We found it quite beautiful.

Restaurants
There were three a-la-carte restaurants and one buffet restaurant on the premises. We found the buffet to be adequate, but preferred the al-la-carte’s for dinner every night. Staying somewhere for 18 days forces you to be inventive. La Hacienda was the buffet restaurant which was available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There were so many options with items changing daily. La Hacienda was the only breakfast option for the non-privileged guest. The fruit was fantastic every day, but we also enjoyed bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches and hashbrowns. The bread and bagels were always fresh and the self-serve mimosas, Bloody Marys and screwdrivers were a welcomed treat. They also had pastries, made-to-order omelets as well as traditional breakfast fare.

Lunch at La Hacienda offered grilled meats and fish, pasta, cold cuts, cheese, salads, etc. They also had a variety of made-to-order bruschetta, sushi and Panini sandwiches. Dinner offered a different theme every night, such as Mayan, Mexican, Cowboy, International and Mediterranean. Freshly grilled fish was abundant, along with a pasta station, countless salads, hot items and desserts. On some days they had grills set-up outside of the restaurant when you could get fresh tacos, along with chips, salsa and guacamole.

El Charro was a smaller pool-side buffet at lunch and a Mexican restaurant at dinner. We ate there for lunch a handful of times because it was so convenient to the pool. We only at dinner here twice because it was our least favorite a-la-carte. The food was good and their salads were very fresh, but just a lot of the same…grilled meats, cheese and tortillas.

Yookoso was the Japanese restaurant, which was only open for dinner and offered both teppanyaki and a-la-carte dining. We dined at Yookoso several times (I actually lost count) during our stay, including once at the teppanyaki table. They served four courses (sushi, tempura, main and dessert) which ended up being too much food! We quickly learned to only ask for one appetizer. Similar to El Charro, Yookoso had a lot of redundancy…grilled meats, noodles and veggies. The teppanyaki was excellent with tender meats and lots of vegetables. The fried ice cream and tempura fried bananas were delicious!

La Dolce Vita was hands-down our favorite restaurant. We enjoyed it mostly because it offered the best variety. They had soups, sandwiches, pizza, chicken, fish, beef and pasta. The chicken was great and the lasagna was surprisingly delicious. We always asked for extra Bolognese and arribiatta sauces. The pizza was not good, but the service was excellent.

I was lucky to win a poolside romantic dinner in an afternoon raffle drawing. We enjoyed a four-course meal alongside the pool with Daniel as our server. We also had the opportunity to eat at the manager’s dinner with 19 other guests on Thursday night. The food was the best we had during our time. The dinner was hosted by General Manager Giovanni Gil along with the rest of the resort’s managerial staff. Each manager served a course and/or poured the wine. There was no catch and no timeshare presentation, just a nice dinner with very hospitable people.

Bars & Liquor
There were three different bars available. We drink liquor and stayed away from beer (Corona on tap) and fruity drinks. As non-privileged guests, regular Absolute was available as well as Svedka Raspberry and Svedka Citron, Bacardi, Jose Cuervo, along with several other (mostly) no-name brands. We also drank Lemoncello, Irish Cream (no Bailey’s) and sparkling wine. We found the sparkling wine to be more palatable than the house white wine. When we asked for specific liquor brands, we received it. We know a weak drink and our drinks were never weak. They (surprisingly) made a great Manhattan with perfect ratios, made with Kentucky Gentlemen bourbon.

The pool bar was located at the party pool and had a swim-up bar. This is where most of the pool servers retrieved their drinks, but instead of waiting around, we always just walked the few steps to get our own drinks. Service was always good. The main lobby bar is where we spent most of our nights. Eber, Jairo, Gildardo, Jacobo and Jovon (Yovonnetti) were phenomenal. We saw Eber, Jairo and Jovon nearly every night. They work so hard, while still managing to remain friendly and personable. We laughed with them a lot. Jovon and a few other girls are the table servers inside and outside and likely walk 10+ miles a day. It was a real bonus that the Eber really knew how to make a great Manhattan!!

The bar outside of El Charro doubled as a smoothie bar during the day. On days when we didn’t eat breakfast, we enjoyed one of their delicious smoothies, maybe with a little rum added. Mike’s Coffee Shop opened at 4 pm every day and served fantastic lattes and cappuccino’s, along with some pastries and sandwiches.

Entertainment
We’ve never been to an all-inclusive with this much entertainment. Granted, we always stay at very relaxed adults-only resorts, but OMR had a show every night in the theatre as well as a live saxophonist at breakfast and in the courtyard at night. The entertainment staff was never pushy for participants and always friendly to all guests. David engaged in conversation with us almost daily and truly made us feel at home. My husband participated in karaoke and the Ocean Idol competition and it was entertaining.

Staff & Tipping
I could go on forever about the staff who was always looking for another way to please you. We tipped often and it never went unnoticed. We tipped because it’s what we’re used to doing at home and it was very deserving. Eber, Jacobo, Jovon (Yovonnetti), Daniel and David truly made us feel like OMR was a second home.

VERY IMPORTANT! THE BUGS!
I have never seen so many bug bites in my life!!! It was unbelievable. I had read on Tripadvisor about the tremendous amount of bugs in the area because it’s “jungle-like” and since I am prone to bites, I packed 3 cans of bug spray (+1 pocket-sized spray) in addition to 20 citronella bracelets, anti-itch cream and allergy medicine. Each bracelet was advertised to last 200 hours! In 18 days, I went through them all and my husband never used the spray so I wouldn’t run out. I used a new band every day (mostly at night and in bed) and some nights we’d both put on two bands. We saw countless people with 100’s of bites on their legs and felt so badly for them. I had bites, but nothing that all of my treatments couldn’t handle. Please, just come prepared! A can of spray will cost you $16 USD in the gift shop.

The Bad
Factors that will not deter me from visiting again but need to be prepared for: Pillows, bugs, towel game, illness. As you can see, there are very few things we disliked about the resort, but in true TripAdvisor fashion, I find it most helpful to point out a few details. I became ill during the middle of our trip (my second time being sick at an all-inclusive), but I prepared myself with Imodium-AD and Pepto-Bismol tablets and I’m glad I did. You can purchase any remedy at the gift shop, but it’ll all cost you. It depends on how much room you have in your suitcase! Finally, I could handle the hard beds, but the pillows were hard and lumpy. Yes, there were six of them, but they were all bad. I spent many days with a stiff neck. Since I had heard privileged guests had a “pillow menu” I asked for softer pillows, but my request was not granted. I might consider packing a pillow in my carry-on on a return visit.

I would return because it’s a great value for an all-inclusive, adults-only resort and the staff was exceptional.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
21 Thank mousemott
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Ocean Maya Royale was a superb holiday location for couples (no children allowed), the food buffet style was excellent with a choice of 4 restaurants to choose from, Italian, Chinese and Mexican there are no extra charges for these as the hotel is all inclusive. 2 pools on site, one for relaxing and one for active sports (there are limited sun beds around the pools) although the beach has plenty and is only 10 yards away. The staff are very friendly and nothing less than helpful. All rooms with full a/c and are cleaned daily with replenishment of mini bar and clean towels and the highest floor is the 1st as all rooms are in in chalet block accommodation all having private balconies. Entertainment is provided every night by the entertainment team - that is entertaining to say the least, The drinks keep on coming and are all free with a wide variety to choose from, a small (20 pesos) tip to the waitress sees her returning to top up your glass without you leaving your seat. The hotel is surrounded by jungle so there is quite a variety of wildlife on tap so take your camera. There are shops within the hotel for any basics you forget, including gift shops, a boot shop, and a jewelry shop. Playa del Carmen is a 20 minute ride in a taxi (200 peso's each way). The only downside to this location is that the sea is not over appealing although the neighbouring hotel provide water sports including paragliding, jet ski's etc. You wont be disappointed if you visit this complex overall excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer the beach - quieter as away from entertainment at night
5 Thank Paul_Gerrard13
Wichita, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

All of the positive comments I have seen posted by others are accurate. I will add that there is no "shuttle" to Playa del Carmen. You can take a cab, and the stated price is $20 each way.

The beach is pretty insignificant, and far from picturesque...although that's just geography and not the fault of the resort. It's good to relax on, but if you are hoping for crystal clear waters for snorkeling, etc., this isn't the place for you. It's all about the swimming pool at this resort, and it's very nice. This is a "relax and take a deep breath" type of resort, not a "party til you puke" resort, despite the best efforts of some patrons.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my vacation and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: I don't think location matters very much, but given a choice I would rather be near the lobby. I...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,059 reviews
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#50 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,304 reviews

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!