Myself and partner visited this hotel for 2 weeks from 30th June 2013 to 14th 2013 and been our first Mexican holiday having been to Cuba 3 times Dom rep 3 times and Jamaica twice.
My partner had been wanting to try Mexico for a few years where I'd always been 50/50 but decided let's give it a go.
THOMPSONS - flight in premium going out was fine , food great and plenty of drink choice.
A smooth flight taking 10 hrs
Flight back on the Dreamliner in premium not so good. The design of the middle but that holds the inflight entertainment is terrible and am surprised it passed health and safety as if your over a size 8 you struggle to get to your seat ( if sat at a window or in the middle of the 3 seats. ) drinks were not offered often , the light show was good but can't see the point in it to be honest. The toilets are better. Don't think it did much for jet lag as stated.
Our flight back was supposed to take 9 hours 18 mins ( seemed to take a long route over as much land as possible it seemed ,hmmmm wonder why.?) unfortunately we ended up on the plane 15 hours as we were circling over Liverpool for 30 mins waiting to see if fog would clear over Manchester so we could land. The auto landing hadn't been tested on the Dreamliner so was not safe to land apparently . We were them told we would be diverting to gatwick. Had to wait 3 hours stuck on the plane waiting for another crew to fly us to Manchester. Given a biscuit and a 50ml juice each.nothing else offered even for us in premium. Eventually landed in Manchester at 11.45am and it was a rough landing.
Anyway back to the hotel.
Transfer took over a hour , we were the last drop.
Check in fast and were offered a cold cocktail.
Given 2 key cards 2 towel cards and a safe lock and key ( not digital safes)
A map and details of bars and restaurants .
First impressions were good. Grounds as many have said are lovely.
Our room was in block 24 , nice position but not really a view. You had to walk across a bridge and a bit of uneven ground that could be quite dangerous if not steady on your feet.
Room was large and modern. Couldn't fault it at all, air con worked a treat, only problem we had was the Mosquitos. Had our room sprayed 3 times in total.
Robes and slippers provided. Slippers very comfy.
Mini fridge stocked daily with 2 beers 4 sodas and 2 water.
We had a bottle of fizz awaiting our arrival too.
Toilet tissue not to be flushed but to be out in bin at side , thought I might have a issue with this but got used to it. Gets emptied everyday so no unpleasant smells.
The shower is good . You do need to let it run for about 4 mins before it gets hot. Just a tip in case you jump in and think there's no hot water, give it time there is plenty. Try having the shower head pointing more to the wall too has you will flood the bathroom if not.
Grounds and wildlife- as stated before the grounds are kept very well and spotless, don't think I spotted a piece of rubbish of cig butt once.
The wildlife is great, loads of iguanas which like grapes. We only saw deer once unfortunately.
I loved the coatie there so friendly and gentle , feed from you hands and are so sweet. Loved them.
FOOD - cant say I had one bad meal, the fruit at this hotel is the best I've come across.
Presentation is also top. That goes for the Buffett too. Try the Mexican soup in El Charro, it to die for , I don't do soup either but I had it twice.
The steak in the Italian is a must also.
Japanese as a nice atmosphere. I asked for sweet and sour chicken instead of pork on my 3rd visit and they made it for me specially. Was best sweet and sour I've had.
POOLS. We stayed at the quite on all the time and loved how it was shallow in parts for you to just sit and cool off with your read.
No broken tiles and clean.
Never went in the other pool so can't really comment. Always very lively.
Pool bar opens at 10am but you can get water before. We took a bottle each from the mini fridge first thing with us. Waitress service round pool from about 11am .
STAFF- all pleasant and friendly don't think I met any that weren't. Tipped as we normally do though wasn't expected. We tipped in dollars in bars and maid but peso in restaurants .
SHOWS- we did see most of the shows and they were good, I loved the grease one but unfortunately didn't see the end as my partner was sick, only a 24 hour thing.
MIKES CAFE- love this place, shame it doesn't open till 4pm. We visited daily bang on 4pm to Skype my daughter. Love raspberry iced tea and the coconut smoothie were my favourites my partner liked his cappichino .
They do a selection of sandwiches and cakes too. On our first day there after a long flight we decided to have a sandwich there before retiring to bed.
It's air conditioned too unlike the lobby .
WIFI- works in the lobby, mikes cafe and in the Buffett but only in parts. Only went down once while we were there for a few hours. You can get it all over for a cost of 15 dollars a day. We were happy with the free wifi in lobby and mikes cafe.
Overall this hotel ranks my favourite so far, I'm looking at the ocean coral for next year as we are taking out twins next year and they won't be 18 till the month after. But if I was to choose any hotel that I'd been to this one would get a second visit.
Mousemotts review also sums up what I thought.
Any questions feel free to message me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HRS, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen