We were travel agencies spies of sorts, and will give a stellar review to them!
We arrived 5 hrs early - guest desk gave us wrist bands and towel cards - said go have fun - eat, drink, swim etc VERY friendly staff throughout resort!! I had no issue tipping $1.00 often as staff was worth it, and remembered it by returning even better services!
Food was good to great - something a little different every meal at main buffet, and wide selections at every restaurant, from cooked to order to buffet selections. Sure, the occasional piece of tough meat on buffet, but that is usually the case at any buffet ! Simply dont eat it and grab another. ONLY issue with any of them is that every one of them does close for a time between meals.
Room was available 20 min. late but was no issue as we sat poolside and walking beautiful grounds taking in the entire resort. Room was cleaned well daily. My wife who is a bit of a cleanahaulic, would make the bed in the morning only to find it re-made in the afternoon in a slightly different style each day :-) We had no issues with bugs or bad smells inside, though on occasion, if the wind was wrong, we would smell the nearby jungle [ and maybe a bit of the on site sewerage system??...lol] Winds shifted often enough to not make it an issue.
As expected, the pool with the swim up bar was the younger crowd for the most part, larger pool nearby was the older crowd. We spent a lot of our time between the two at nice tables / chairs with umbrella's.
Dress code is not "enforced" at pool side restaurant, but being dry, wearing shoes of some sort and having sleeves is appreciated. They did grill burgers outside for those who wanted to eat in their swim suits and were conscious of basic courtesy. This is an "adult only" resort where you wouldnt expect a wet chair at lunch in my opinion.
I am not a drinker at home, at all, but found the cocktails to be well balanced with alcohol - if you want more, just ask...or tip well and they will start pouring you very strong drinks..lol
Wildlife abounds - PLEASE do not feed them [ per signs everywhere] ! It only encourages them to beg for more! Nothing like watching some dingdong feed the coate's then start to have a fit because it bit them trying to get a pc of bread they were teasing them with!! These ARE wild animals, not anyone's pets! When I first walked out onto my porch a whole herd of them came running to me, expecting food as the guests before us [ and next to us ] obviously had, and were.
I find it hilarious that so many from the UK complain about "loud and obnoxious" Americans and Canadians, but then dont mention a word about the huge, cellulite riddled, man-thong wearing, wrinkly old banana boob exposing individuals from their homeland....There are MANY forms of pollution out there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen