“Outstanding and beyond”

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #46 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Outstanding and beyond”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

me and my partner both visited mexico, we are both 19 and 21. When we first saw these bad reviews we were adoment that we were gonna change our hotel and all I can say is I would of 100% of regretted it if we did. This hotel is outstanding and beyond. Staff give 100% customer care, we literally had nothing to complain about. I don't understand how people can rate this hotel bad, it has been top notch and we are most deffinatly gonna return! There is so much to see and do, and all the staff make sure your well looked after , big shout out to Jose from the dive it centre , he was just amazing! And also to riaz who took us on our trip to tulum jungle maya. All I can say is outstanding staff, outstanding food, outstanding hotel bedrooms beach pools etc! Don't listen to any bad reviews, because I read up on the reviews to much. Don't let them make your descison. Judge it for yourself and I assure you won't make a mistake coming here! Many thanks to ocean maya! We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank Sophie19xx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,560)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Hove
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We arrived home early Thursday morning. We had a fantastic holiday! The hotel was lovely. We flew with Thomsons dreamliner and treated ourselfs to premium class, it was a real treat! When we arrived in our room we had a top floor and our balcony looked out onto the beach. It was beautiful. There was a bottle of red wine and white chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for us. We settled in straight away. Our block was 37 room 3707.
The grounds are very well kept. The staff work so hard to keep it so. We saw deer and her fawns, cioatis, iguanas and one racoon. It was lovely to see wildlife in thier own surroundings.
The beach, was beautiful white sand but there is sea weed that washes up, but the staff are always doing there best to clear it. The sea is not very clear but that is mother nature, not the hotels fault.
There restuarants are very good. I am a fussy eater but I was able to eat well every day! We tried all the restuarants. The japanese, mexican, italian the buffet and the Blue Moon- men have to wear trousers but it was nice to try. All the food is very good in all of them.
The pools- there are 2 and I had been reading on trip advisor and it did say that one pool is noisey and mainly americans! That was true! We stayed at the quieter pool or the beach. On our last morning they delivered new sun beds to the beach that are very nice.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. Always said hello when you saw them and nothing was to much trouble. A very nice change to a holiday we had in Egypt!
The Thomson rep Lindsay was lovely and helpful. She was based at the hotel 6 days a week, 10.00 till 16.00. Never been with Thomsons and was very impressed and would definitely use again.
We did7 trips! All a must! Speed boats with a bit of snorkling, Chichen Itza, xela ha, Coba, Xplor, Tulum with maya jungle and swimming with whale sharks. There is so much to do!
We had a fantastic time and Thank you so much to all the staff at Ocean Maya Royale. You all work so hard. We hope to come back again.
The Filleuls

Room Tip: Block 37. Near to beach and quiet pool.
10 Thank minkyhove
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We went to the Ocean Maya for our honeymoon for 2 weeks in June and the hotel is perfect!!
Very clean, beautiful area, good food at the restaurant, very nice and polite workers, they work very hard to make you happy! We couldn't hope a better hotel!!
As we knew it's not an amazing beach but it's great to have a lovely time. And just 10min by walk you have a nice lagon.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor if you want to be sure to don't hear the shoes of your neigbhours
3 Thank Emmanuelle C
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The staff are great and will always smile and will do what they can for you, but this is not a resort if you want to relax and spend a couples holiday as it is noisy, and the food is not up to what you would expect for the money we paid. There seams to be a split with different holiday companies, we wanted a holiday for couples only and and Thomson described this hotel as just that... When we arrived there where couples and also hen parties and large groups of very loud Americans who just took over the pool bar and the small pool

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jonathan T
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This resort is absolutely amazing. It is beautiful, clean and the staff is OUTSTANDING! I give each and every one of them credit for working there butts off in the heat! We had an ocean view room in villa 33. We stayed in 3307 and it was pure paradise. It was very close to dolce vita, el charro, the pools, and of course the beach! I honestly wonder if the people who wrote all of the bad reviews actually stayed at this resort????? The staff go above and beyond to cater to every single person.
It was just me and my boyfriend who are only 21 and had so much fun (the crowd is definitely 25+ though) There are activities ALL DAY LONG from walking tours, to water aerobics and beach volleyball. There is also a "dive it" center on cite for motorized water sports.
The food is SO GOOD!!! We tried the mexican, Italian (beautiful view) and the japanese restaurant. We were always the first ones there because we like to eat early around 6pm since its 7pm in New York which is prime dinner time. The food was always fresh, no problems at all. Manuel from el charro and Manuel from the japanese restaurant were both great! The buffet was also great for dinner my boyfriend actually went up three times! haha. Oh and the breakfast at La Hacienda was so delicious! There was always a lot to choose from. I really enjoyed all of the fresh fruits and drinks. Lunch was also great at either El Charro or La Hacienda. The outdoor BBQ was also very yummy and authentic spanish cooking.
Both pools are so warm and beautiful. We spent time at each one depending on our mood. The "party pool" isn't even THAT loud. Live a little people!!! They play a spanish music and also hit songs. And this whole drunk american thing??? where? Everyone was respectful and kept to themselves. If you want quiet go sit on the beach! Why would you even sit by the "party" pool anyways if you don't want to be disturbed!
The beach got clearer every single day.. It was still so beautiful even if its not as clear as the water in Cancun. It was warm and very calm compared to the jersey shore. The staff worked so hard to make sure the beach and pool were clean at all times. Our beach was actually much nicer than the surrounding resorts. There was always someone cleaning up the seaweed.
At night we really enjoyed walking on the boardwalk and pier with coffee from Mikes coffee shop. We also loved sitting outside in the court yard near the lobby. There was always someone performing or tables set up with items for sale. We're not that much of a party couple therefore not having a "disco" or club was not that much of an issue plus the town of Playa Del Carmen is very close to hit up clubs and such!
PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS! Everything is at your finger tips at Ocean Maya Royale. I would recommend this resort to anyone! The WHOLE resort looks so new and up to date. People who say the rooms look run down are absolutely crazy and probably live in a mansion. I miss this place already! See you soon Ocean Maya Royale thank you for the memories of a life time!

Room Tip: Villa 33 is very quiet and close to the beach and pool!
17 Thank Megan D
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was actually our third time staying at the resort. The first two times were great. Unfortunately, this last time was not. It has gone down hill fast in the year that passed since our last visit. The rooms are starting to show their age, there has got to be more variety with the food and the alcohol. The one positive is the staff, though. The majority of them are fantastic, with a few sour apples. They work extremely hard and are so much fun & attentive. I have to mention Oscar, Tila and Giovanetti; they are superb & the absolute best. They were all great to talk to, fun & took extremely good care of us. Also, one of the things that really ruined it this time were the amount of obnoxious Americans that were there. I love to drink & have a good time, but don't want my good time to interfere with others. Though I am also an American, I now completely understand why we are hated by some & thought to be rude & obnoxious. The previous two times we have stayed there were not near as many US guests & the guests that were there were more mature. As great as the staff is, I won't be coming back to this resort.

4 Thank kathryn_78_13
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Arrived home last Saturday evening after a one week stay at Ocean Maya Royale. The resort is very pretty - the grounds are kept immaculate. The workers on the grounds work very hard to keep everything so pretty - we stayed in 1405 - its closer to the front and restaurants. It's alittle bit of a walk to the pool and beach.
The pools - one end is a party pool - pretty noisy all the time - it's where the swim up bar is located. The other end is the quiet end - so it's a preference and what your mood is - some days we stayed at one end, other days at the other end. The Tiki Bar closes at 6 pm (YES) at 6 pm - that sucked. I'm used to a Tiki Bar being open in the evening to hang out, meet new people, have some drinks. So, that wasn't great. The guys at the bar are all very nice - they work hard. The front bar is so busy and it's always a long wait to get a drink and it's so hot up front - really would be smart to keep the Tiki Bar opened down near the pool/beach.

The beach - not so good - the ocean - not much better. Very choppy and the water is not what I'm used to in Cancun - not the pretty blue at all - the beach access isn't really much at all - that was rather disappointing.

The restaurants - all were pretty good - I must say that some of the waiters at this resort were not that friendly - not sure if it was a bad week or what. But, I'm used to the over friendly, go out of there way - here...they didn't always do that. Some mornings it was all we could do to get a refill on our coffee.

High pressured guy at the pool daily trying to get you to sign up for massages, spa packages - be careful - they have you sign a paper which in the fine print says - no refunds. So, you are responsible for either going to get the spa package or paying it at the end of your trip.

The rooms - very nice and clean - the girls do a great job cleaning everything. The beds are OK and the pillows are horrible - so, you might take your own - no need to ask for a new one - they are all hard and lumpy.

Little animals all over the resort - they are so cute. But, it bothers me to see them wounded and you see that - I think they fight each other so there would be cuts and they limp - it's sad. I'm an animal lover.

I did notice that most of the guests don't tip - I wondered if maybe that's why the waiters didn't go over and above. Not sure but I would look and there wasn't any tip on most tables - I'm a tipper, always have been and I still tipped here too!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Rita V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,051 reviews
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#49 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,297 reviews

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!