“Another Great Trip to Mexico”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #44 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our 5th trip to Mexico and once again had a great time. Hotel property was well maintained, animals on grounds were awesome, transportation A1. Food was great both at buffet & restaurants. The beach was clean & plenty of chaise lounge chairs. The best part of our stay however was the staff at this hotel. All the staff were very helpful & very polite & really seemed genuine in their conversations with us. I would like to especially mention Oli,Octavio & Antonia, these guys went above & beyond. All the bar tenders were constantly busy & worked really hard to serve their customers quickly. I have stayed at other places where there was no urgency whatsoever, but these guys were working really hard but still managed to give us some of their time & made our stay. Also Miguel & Victor these guys were also wonderful. Silvia making the breakfast was also amazing and Eber with the coffee in the morning was great. One of these guys also saw us while we were in Playa and went out of his way to guide us around Playa-this is service above & beyond. My only suggestion is full size pillows for the bedrooms and snorkel equipment @ the Dive shop.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Hugh221
Write a ReviewReviews (6,895)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I are a lesbian couple and we searched and searched for the right place. We recently had our wedding ceremony at Ocean Maya (May 2, 2014). The staff was INCREDIBLE! They made our entire stay easy, comfortable and very enjoyable. Our wedding day was perfect - the staff was attentive, respectful and so happy to help. We felt a strong sense of gratitude to the team that made our day so special. It really felt like we left the resort with new friends. It was so comforting to know that the Ocean Maya staff remembered our names and said hello every day. We had a large group - 34 in total - and the staff worked very hard to accommodate us. Everybody was great - from Martin (the bellman) to Michelle and Claudia (our wedding planners) - it felt like we are at our own private resort with a staff dedicated specifically to us! it really was incredible.

Claudia, who is in charge of guest services and the wedding services, is really a special person. She paid attention to every detail and took care of our wedding day as if it were her own. I cannot think of a single thing that I would have asked her to do differently. She made great recommendations, accommodated our large group and made sure to keep us updated on the progress of the wedding every day. We arrived on Sunday and Claudia had already arranged for us to have a private dinner on the beach. We sat with her for 2 - 3 hours on Monday to go over all of the decisions (menu, cake, flowers, chair covers, etc.). And by Friday - our wedding was beautifully crafted - complete with all of our special requests!

The spa is awesome and has a great list of services and products. Get a massage and ask for Isaura and/or Mercedes! They are both amazing! We got massages on our 2nd day there and by the end of the treatment, we already had another massage booked! I would have seriously considered getting a massage every day if we hadn't been planning a wedding and hanging with guests.

The entire resort is clean, well kept and easy to navigate. Our room was an ocean view room and we had an incredible view! We literally woke up looking at the ocean every morning!!! My wife and I are both vegetarians and we certainly did not go hungry.

It is evident that the staff at the Ocean Maya works hard... VERY HARD. Consider giving a tip each time you get a special drink, have dinner or even every other day for house keeping. It is incredible how simply being nice to the Staff at the Ocean Maya + a tip here and there really went a long way.

Room Tip: The hotel has free Wifi in the lobby - it is a little spotty in the rooms (as you get further and fu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Alison G
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon. We did not like the location of our room and ask to move.They said nothing was open to move. That night as expected the music was loud and I called and told the front desk about it. The next day after a yelling match with the front desk they said they move us. I also told them our lunch was cold on the day we arrived. The next morning we had breakfast and that meal was cold also. Food was not great. If they would put more money in to the food and not so much on the grounds maybe more would return. We will never return to this location or any other H10 hotels.

9  Thank Roy D
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect at this property. The first thing that bothered me was that no one would take us to our room and help with luggage. It had just rained, so the marble floors were slippery. While carrying my luggage, I slipped and managed to bend my toe back far enough that I broke it!
The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, as are the pools. It was too hot to hang out on the beach so most of our time was spent in the pool.
The rooms are a pretty decent size, but I noticed there was not a full length mirror! That seemed odd to me, being an adults only resort. The bathroom vanity is small with only one sink. They ask that you not put "paper" in the WC. I finally figured out that they were asking that you not put toilet paper down the toilet.....but guess what? Everyone does and did!! The hot water is slow in coming and the showers tend to get the floors wet because of their design, but water pressure was great!
I loved our first floor patio! We faced the ocean/main walk-way. We greeted people as they walked by and made a lot of friends! The staff is very nice and always acknowleged us. The mini-bar was stocked daily, but of all things they failed to add was WATER! There is a one cup coffee maker in each room, but ours leaked water all over. We were getting ready to leave, so didn't bother to ask that it be replaced. If you end up in room 3601....be aware that it may not work!!
The food wasn't bad, though not the best I've ever had. The breakfast buffet had all the normal stuff, with an omlet station. Lunch was actually pretty good with a good variety. Dinner was pretty good as well. The steak tends to be a bit chewy and I neary choked to death trying to swallow! But overall, the food was good.
The wildlife on property was very cool! We saw deer, iguanas, and the mexican version of a racoon. I believe they were called "cooners?" They were all over and harmless.
For an adults only property this one was pretty decent. I may not return, but as a travel agent, I would definately reccomend it to my clients looking for a smaller adults only property.

Room Tip: If you get an ocean view, request the 2nd floor. The first floor ocean view isn't much of a view...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank TravelgalMankato
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Everything was going great for 4 days until that last meal. I threw up all the way back to NYC. I was lying on the airport floor like a dying dog from the amount of vomit I had released starting at 8AM. I was violently ill. This ruined the entire trip. I will NOT be going back to Mexico and I will CERTAINLY not be staying at ANY of Ocean Maya's 3 Resort locations. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Lisa L
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed at ocean Maya Royale from the 15th June for 2 weeks. This was our fourth visit to mexico and this hotel was the best one that we have stayed in. Relaxed from the moment of arrival, lovely comfortable beds, pillows are a bit strange but you get used to them. Hotel is spotless, they work non stop throughout the whole hotel. As other reviewers have said the staff are fantastic and very friendly. Special thanks to guadulope who served us at the beach and main bar, she is a credit to the hotel along with Miguel at the beach bar who never stops and always has a smile for you. Our favourite restaurant was the blue moon, (gentlemen have to wear trousers) no problem for us. Theanimals at the hotel are great, they don't bbother you at all. Saw coatis, racoon's, deer and iguana's, we even started naming them. We stayed in block 15 on the second floor. Loved the location of this room. The only negative is the sea, if you are expecting blue Caribbean seas you will be disappointed, this is not the hotels fault, it is just one of those things. You can walk further along the beach and the water is better there. There is a noisy pool and a quiet pool, great for whatever you prefer, we sunbathed on the lovely beach everyday. Will definitely return to this lovely hotel. We only went on one excursion, pirates night, did not enjoy this as it is more suited to 18 to 30's but many other people did like this. Thanks to the Thomson rep Lindsey, always on hand for any info and help, if you are going to the hotel, could someone please bring her some Marmite as she is really missing this and some cadbury chocolate!!! Thank you ocean Maya royals for a wonderful holiday and hope to see you again next year.

Room Tip: 2nd floor if your worried about iguana's sitting outside your patio, but nothing to worry about...
9  Thank Kimmiewilliams
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We just returned from a 2 week stay at this hotel (10/06-24/06) and had a fantastic time. We travelled as a young couple, with three other couples from the same age range (20-26).
The hotel itself is beautiful, in particular the grounds and the wildlife roaming freely. The rooms were spacious and clean. We ate at every restaurant throughout the stay – all of which are of a great standard considering this is an all-inclusive hotel. Our favourite was the Japanese restaurant and the Tepanyaki.
This was my third time in Mexico and we’ve travelled to some really lovely 5* hotels over the past 7+ years (including the Thomson Sensatori resort in Mexico), however I’ve never stayed in a hotel with such a friendly, happy atmosphere. This made our holiday extra special and was largely down to the staff in the hotel.
At the lobby bar, Jovanetti and Oli made our evenings a lot of fun. We enjoyed trying the 25 different shots! Each evening Jovanetti would spend an extra couple of minutes chatting with us, teaching us some Spanish (which was lovely) it really made a difference to the level of service and we almost felt she was part of our group by the end of the trip.
Down by the pool, each day was super fun thanks to Mario and Gio, who both deserve medals for how hard they work. You’d never see them sitting down, constantly on the go with smiles on their faces. They also made a huge difference to our holiday by encouraging us to join in with the various activities during the day. They even sang with us on the karaoke one night which was a lot of fun.
All in all this is a lovely hotel, but the staff really make a difference to your holiday which is an extra special touch that you can’t get from bricks and mortar.
Thanks guys, you made our holiday!!!

Room Tip: If you don't like the wildlife I'd suggest a higher floor room
3  Thank KelseyandLiam