“Michael”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #49 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice. Could have used an air conditioned lobby but that was not bad. The staff was wonderful. Overall one of the best traveling experiences I have ever had. Will definitely return day. Hopefully in the not to distant future

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Michael S
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. I am really happy to read that you had such a wonderful time and that we have gone over your expectations. We dor really hope too that you come back soon!!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights with my best friend for our annual girls trip.....amazing! We loved it! Walk down the beach to the left of the resort to some amazing views, Italian restaurant was our favorite, pool, beach it was all amazing!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Katie W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor. We would also like to thank you for choosing us to spend your holidays with your friends and we are very happy to read that you have all had a great time.

We hope to see you back soon!!

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 15 days mid June this year and had a fantastic time quality food/Resturant's staff and service are top notch.... Small tips get you a far way. Highly recommended for a long haul holiday we can't wait to return....... Also one of the best excursions is dolphin swim (platinum) amazing interaction.... Also recommended is a visit to the photographer shop (by pools) for a photo shoot at around 5:00pm fantastic quality :)

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Davidonthetop
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I normally post a review after I've been to a restaurant or hotel, but we're still here at the hotel for a few days more.

In one word "disappointing"

In many words:

FOOD: not even 3 star, breakfast & lunch in the buffet is OK, but at night the food is terrible. Everything is overcooked and salty. Mexican was the worst of all. The Blue Moon was OK, but No better than an average place in the uk.

DRINKS: Even worse. Beer is flat & nowhere near cold enough. Wine is disgusting. They only seem to cater for American clients who want to drink large cocktails all day in the pool bar. Ask for a decent drink at night - that's extra.

We spoke to Guest Relations and they said they could not make the beer better or colder (WHY?) but they would "allow" us to have an upgraded wine - which was also very poor.

SUGGESTION: instead of worrying about filling the ever-larger flasks of the American guests, put a bit more effort into either bottled beers or better wines.

GENERAL: They have this stupid 'privilege' upgrade at over $40 dollars a day.(each). For that you get to sit in an empty 'privilege' area and apparently get better drinks. We were actually asked to move off a sun-bed when we were trying to get some shade. Why? You got it... that bed was extra. How many people were sitting in the 'privelidge' area? None. But the girl wanted our room number "to report us" shocking customer service right there.

In my opinion if you are All Inclusive then 'everything' should be included. This hotel clearly don't get that concept and constantly want you to pay more for better wine etc.

Rooms are fine, spacious and good air con. Beach area is pretty poor, and the pool is not clean. I have an ear infection, probably from the pool as you can see bits of grout floating around & dirt water-scum floating at the edge. A bit like a very dirty bath that needs a good scrub.

As of today 6pm the toilet next to the pool is overlflowing, disgusting & dangerous.

This is our 3rd trip to the area and this hotel is nowhere near the likes of RIU etc.

My advice - avoid. Go to Playacar instead, better everything, and much closer to Playa Carmen.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billybhoy999
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just got back from a wonderful 6 days at Ocean Maya Royale! Anyone planning a trip here -don't hesitate! I will touch on some of the major points but for so much more details please check out MouseMotts blog! So many things she covered were great tips and I am so thankful to her for sharing her knowledge making our trip even better! It was so fun meeting her there too! We spent many hours in the pools with drink in hand! She is the undisputed OMR expert! Here is a link to her blog-

In General- the grounds are so well maintained and beautiful! The workers are constantly working on the grounds, gardens and facilities. The staff is so gracious and kind and seem to truly enjoy their jobs. A huge shout out to a wonderful bartender- Oli in the lobby bar! He was beyond kind and remembered us every day. He worked so hard making sure everyone had drinks. It is a good idea to bring plenty of one dollar bills - (and larger) for those memorable staff! I never felt it was expected to tip but know they appreciate it and certainly deserve it! The gal at the pool ( wish I remembered her name) worked so hard all day delivering drinks poolside in the heat and humidity and always with a genuine smile!

I enjoyed all the animals that inhabit the grounds! It was fun watching them but please observe the signs not to feed them. I saw people feeding them and it is harmful to them in the long run. We saw lots of coates, raccoons, deer and iguanas!

Food- we ate at each and every restaurant they had and all were wonderful! The Japanese food was one of my favorites! I especially liked theTeriyaki shrimp. The La Hacienda Buffett is varied a bit every day with more than adequate choices for 3 meals daily. We liked to have breakfast here and then grab a lite lunch poolside at the Mexican buffet. Some days they grilled hamburgers and hotdogs at the pool area too. The specialty restaurants were always easy to get in- no reservation needed.
We ate all the fresh fruit and vegetables with no hint of any GI upset ever. (I did not drink tap water and used bottled water to brush my teeth with.) I heard of no one becoming ill.

Packing-
You can't bring enough sunscreen and DEET bug spray! It's expensive to buy in the gift shop. Thank you Dawn and Ken for giving us a tube of your sunscreen! We met so many nice people from all over! The sand fleas seem to be worse at night! Ladies- sundresses and bathing suit cover ups are great.You can go from pool to restaurant easily. It was fun to get a bit dressed up at night - meaning a sundress and sandals. LOL! Guys -bring one pair of casual trousers so you can go to the Blue Moon restaurant!

We brought along pool floats and were glad we did. The humidity made drying your bathing suit difficult so bring a minimum of two.

The Beach-
The water was not that beautiful aqua blue green that people hear about and that I saw from the plane arriving in Cancun. That being said, the beach at this resort was the best along this area. I walked the beach in both directions and OMR had the best beach by far! The other resorts had NO beach or sandbags you had to walk on to get to the water. The OMR staff work day and night raking and removing seaweed and any debris. There were more than adequate beach chairs/ beds etc.at the beach. The loungers under shade at the pools are harder to get unless you stake your claim early in the morning. I admit it - I did it.

Excursions-if you are going on an adventure there are plenty of agents at the resort to book your excursion. We went to the Mayan ruins in Tulum and were glad we did. It was beautiful and fascinating. One of the prettiest places I've ever seen. On that same trip we stopped at a cenote and went snorkeling. Beautiful and fun but not the best equipment. Be aware their safety standards are not what we are used to. There were 8 people on our excursion and they only had 6 life jackets and the ones for the children were too big. One of the parents of the children chose to opt out of snorkeling and didn't allow the smallest children to go. Unfortunate. The van also only had seat belts for seven of eight passengers!

There is a shuttle from OMR that will take you to PlayaDelCarmen at noon everyday and return at 5pm. The cost is $10 round trip per person. We did not want to be committed to 5 hours so we took a taxi for $20 each way. I wish we hadn't gone at all! The minute we were dropped off in the shopping district I felt like bait fish in a shark tank! The merchants are relentless, aggressive and liars! They trick you by saying they remembered you from .....fill in your resort......
" Don't you remember me? I helped you with your bags! I'm off today and this is my Grand fathers jewelry shop!" We soon learned they know exactly what resort you are staying in by your armbands!! Deceitful and a shameful way to make a living! Glad we didn't buy anything from that one! I could have done without those few hours in PlayaDelCarmen. We were glad to get back to the resort!

This was a mother/daughter trip and my 23 year old daughter found enough fun and activities with people her own age as I did with the nice people I met. This was a great value and we did not upgrade to the privilege club. We want to return!

• Stayed: July 2014
12  Thank OhioJackie

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a great review on Tripadvisor. It is wonderful to read that you and your daughter had a perfect time; part of it thanks to the help from Shawn and Ken, they are one of our favourite customers at the Hotel. Thank you for writing so many details and complements about the Hotel, I am sure you will be a big help for other future guests.

We look forward to see you soon!!!

Best regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent 4 days here and had a great time. Oli at the lobby bar and Victor at the pool bar are amazing. Make sure to visit them when you visit. The staff here is great and very friendly. The view from our room was wonderful - pool and ocean view. You will meet some nice people here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LisaChris2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are really happy to read that you had such a wonderfull honeymoon with us. I would like to thank you also for teking the time to mention Olli, he is our big star from the Pool Bar, a very hard working person, I will tell him how good he was with you.

We hope to see you back here soon!!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We arrived at Ocean Maya June 30, greeted by very nice warm inviting place! were escorted to the Privilege check in desk, where we were brought drinks as they took our information. We were then shown to our room which was well furnished clean and cool. The only regret I have is not asking for the top floor, but that will be for my next trip. The service was wonderful, Food was great, grounds very clean, We tried all the restaurants except the Italian, but that is only because we ran out of time! Because we did the privilege there was an area on the beach that was exclusively for us, never had a shortage of finding a chair, where we were greeted each day with a bucket of ice and bottled water, then offered drinks of any kind all day long!! Also privilege you get top shelf liquor! Beach was clean water was warm, pool was also nice but we spent more time in the ocean. The lobby bar was amazing all the Bartenders were awesome! Oily, Antonio, Octavio just to name a few! Went out of their way to make sure our drinks were always perfect and plentiful while we waited for dinner. I cant say enough about this resort! we hated to leave and cannot wait to go back again! I highly recommend the privilege though! Happy from Ken and Lynn In Vermont

Room Tip: choose top floor, and choose privilege for the quite, if you want more noise and lively then get clo...