“King and queen for 2 weeks!”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #44 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The first thing we thought when we arrived at Ocean Maya was: Wow! The lobby is breathtaking. We were warmly welcomed and immediately offered a drink and help with our suitcases. At the check in we met our miracle man: Israel. Whatever we needed during our stay we could ask Israel, and he arranged it. We are very grateful to him!

The rooms were very spacious and very clean. The food was delicious and there was a lot of attention to the presentation of the food. Sometimes appropriate to a theme or with beautiful ice sculptures. The bread was our favorite, so delicious and fresh!

Words are not enough to discribe our experience but the total package is awesome! Food, nature, the resort itself, the friendly people. We loved the drinks at the pool bar served by our man Victor. And the happy face of our bartender Oli at the lobby bar. Who was always very quick with drinks and could make you smile. We will miss Vincente during breakfast. Another friendly face who was always very accurate and polite.

Ocean Maya is a big resort, yet warm and friendly. You will feel at home and it is not crowded with tourists running back and forth.
For 2 weeks we felt like kings and queens!

2  Thank Frangeska1
Write a ReviewReviews (6,903)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I and our two best friends just returned from ocean maya. We loved it. The price was good, the resort was great! It was very clean. Beautiful land scraping. The food was good. The beach access was lovely. The wild animals were fun to watch. I would like to give a special shout out to our lobby bar tender Oli and Antonio and our pool bartender Victor. Oli was so fun and made every night a great time. I will defiantly go back!

1  Thank Angey3232
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Over-all, we had an amazing time at the hotel! The grounds were so well kept and the staff were amazing! Always smiling and always offered a 'hola' whenever you walked past them. I can't stress how clean the grounds were, gardeners were constantly tending to it.

The Pool -
Both pools are lovely.. the quiet pool still had loud people in there, but nobody was as bad as a bunch of Americans who were part of a wedding party. They sat in the pool all day and had the poor waiter running back and forth the bar for them constantly. They cleared one side of the pool area by 2pm one day as they were so loud. This included myself and my partner and four other couples we spoke to. I think the staff should have got involved and told them to go to the other pool. Everyone has a preference on how to spend their holiday, and the hotel offers two pools to enjoy with different atmospheres. Respect that.

The Hotel - Beautiful grounds, always clean. spacious. There were five restaurants which are all fab with amazing staff inside. Dinner on the beach is a must! You have to book in advance at reception though so bare that in mind!

The beach- Beach is lovely, if you walk down either way it's a lovely walk, however if you walk to the left of the hotel, there's a few lagoons down there which are worth going to!

The staff- Staff are amazing everywhere. They come and offer you drinks on your sun beds and at the beach. They are always smiling and happy. They work day and night so we liked to give them a tip but they don't expect anything.

The rooms - Our room was upgraded (thank you ocean maya!) and it was lovely and spacious. Brand new bathroom, kept spotless with a MASSIVE bed. I couldn't find my boyfriend during the night it was so big. They had an umbrella, an ironing board, soap and toiletries and even shoe shiner in the wardrobe! A well stocked fridge of soft drinks which is topped up everyday and they have a real coffee machine which I loved! Rooms were amazing. The maid service was touch and go though. Some days a maid would come in, tidy up everything, put everything into piles and replace EVERYTHING. other times, if I forgot to put dirty towels in the shower she would leave them where we hung them to dry the night before. Nothing was topped up and the floor was still dirty. So I guess it depends on what maid you have with the rooms.

The Entertainment- This was the only bad thing about the hotel, the entertainment was poor. They had a saxophone player three times a week and a duet twice a week. The other times there was a show which was pretty good, and I can't remember anything else. But it was pretty poor. We didn't stay up for barely anything as it was that bad.

Also, stalls come into the hotel most nights and try to sell you things. I didn't really like this. You would be walking too and from dinner and they would hassle you to look at their stall. If I wanted that I would go into the town shopping. When I'm in the safety of my hotel resort I don't want to be hassled to buy something.

One of the worst points of the hotel was the spa staff. I did have a massage on the first day, which was absolutely beautiful. I also had a facial which was ok but nothing special, but the massage was amazing. However, every day, two or three times a day after that I was asked if i wanted information on the spa. The spa staff wait outside breakfast for you to come out and ask you if you want information about the spa. They then come around the pool and ask you again an hour later, then they hang around the lobby later on in the day and ask you again. This is every day. It got to the point where it really annoyed me, and I could see other guests saying no when they just said 'hola'.

Little tip. The hotel don't recommend going to playa del carmen any other way except taxi. However we walked up to the highway and jumped on the bus for a third of a price and we were just fine. We did this 2/3 times. To Playa and Toulim. The walk up to the drive is a bit of a treck but if your ok with that then do that! its so much cheaper and gives you an opportunity to mingle with the locals who are all very friendly!

All in all though we had a fantastic holiday and would definitely return. The staff make the hotel, and I LOVED the fact there was lots of animals in the grounds, and they were allowed to roam free and the staff didn't hurt any of them. That's very rare in foreign countries.
Thanks for a wonderful stay Ocean Maya!!
Oh.. P.S… shout out to Oscar in the Italian restaurant! what a funny guy… :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Chloe T
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean Maya Royale in January/February 2014. It was an amazing vacation! Our room was absolutely beautiful and comfortable to relax in. I sat on the deck every morning and watched all the wild animals every morning. Speaking of wildlife, that was one of my favorite parts of the resort. They have gone out of their way to make sure it does not interfere with the wildlife, and I enjoyed every moment of watching the coatis, the iguanas, the deer, etc.

The food was much better than many all-inclusives we've been to. Our first meal on the resort wasn't good at all, but it was also 15 minutes before the buffet closed so it was cold or soggy from sitting out for hours. After that, we enjoyed food at all the restaurants, especially at the hibachi grill.

I love being at a resort where you don't have to make reservations. While we waiting awhile for both Blue Moon and the hibachi, it was no problem as the bar was right around the corner and we got to socialize with our new-found friends while we waited for our seating.

We played beach volleyball just about every day we were there and made lots of friends throughout the week. The beach area is small and the water isn't as crystal clear as Cancun, but it was still wonderfully soft sand and a beautiful horizon. There is a divided area for the privilege guests with day beds, but we never felt like we needed that to enjoy our vacation.

All in all, one of the best places we've stayed on vacation. Friendly staff (especially the pool bartenders), beautiful grounds, an inviting atmosphere and the coatis!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie W
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in style, with a two week vacation to the beautiful Ocean Maya Royale All Inclusive Hotel/Resort. Our travel dates were from July 5, through July 19, 2014. This was our first visit, and we were very pleased with everything the hotel had to offer. In fact we so thoroughly enjoyed Ocean Maya, we ended up spending our entire two weeks there on property, choosing not to purchase any additional excursions. We simply did not want to miss any of the delicious food, fun activities, live music, or engaging shows they offered daily. Here is a breakdown of the high points for us:
The Entertainment group is the perfect place to start. The Resort has a talented, charismatic group of individuals that make up their entertainment staff, including Giovanni, Mario, Fernanda, Poncho, and their manager Miguel Daniel. When we first arrived at the Resort, we had no intensions of participating in the pool activities or even attending the nightly shows offered by the Resort, especially after reading some of previous reviews regarding the nightly shows; however, as soon as we met the staff we were quickly drawn in by their dynamic personalities, energetic dispositions, and genuine care toward the guests. Also, the shows were fantastic, especially the shows performed by the staff. I will add that the Resort has made some improvements in the nightly entertainment, including building an outdoor stage, and making staff changes. We also noticed the time commitment the entertainment staff invests in their guests. Many times Mario, Fernanda, Poncho and Giovanni were at the pool by 10:00 a.m., spending the morning and afternoon with the guest providing fun activities, games and water aerobics. After a long, hot day in the sun, we would see them again at 9:00 p.m. ready to perform shows, announce nightly entertainment, dance with resort guests, and more, often until midnight. Our favorite shows were Retro, Grease, and the Gala Contemporary Music show. All were performed by the entertainment staff. The Resort did provide some outside entertainment groups as well, which is new additions. We enjoyed those shows as well, but by far though the entertainment group did the best job. In the two weeks we were there, they had a new show every night. Thank you entertainment staff for all the extra time and attention you gave us during our visit!
Check-in/Check-out. A special thanks to Denise at Check-in. After a long day of travel , it was comforting to be greeted by a kind face and a helpful staff member. She even guided us to our rooms and made sure we made it to La Hacienda buffet for lunch. During our two week stay, we could always count on Denise to help us with anything we needed.
Dining. The food was delicious. Always fresh, and many times, cooked to order. Fresh, real eggs, delicious made-to-order omelettes by Sylvia (thank you Sylvia!), grilled meats, fish, veggies at lunch, gourmet, four course dinners at night. Fresh breads baked on site.
Service. We travel 10 to 12 weeks per year, and this was the most consistent, professional, kind staff we have ever encountered. They work hard, and genuinely want the guests to have an enjoyable stay. Special thanks to Adran at La Hacienda breakfast and lunch (and snack by the pool). He was our waiter nearly every morning for two weeks and often at lunch. We looked forward to his warm greeting and friendly smile. He was quick with the coffee and remembered our drink orders. We enjoyed using our Spanish with him. Thank you Adran.
Pool Bar. Victor was the best! He knows his way around the bar, is quick with the orders, and had some fun joking with the guests. Thank you Victor.
Consider choosing Ocean Maya Royale for your next stay. Relax and enjoy. These people will roll out the hospitality. We are already planning our return visit.
Finally on tipping. OMR advertises that tipping is including in the all inclusive fee. The first two days, we didn’t tip anyone and received excellent, friendly service everywhere we went on their property. After that, we tipped simply because we wanted to. The staff is amazing and we so appreciated all their hard work.

Room Tip: Let the OMR know your special requests ahead of time, and they will do their best to accommodate you...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank two2travel2gether
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We just returned from Ocean Maya on July 12th and we wish we were still there! We were extremely surprised about how fabulous this resort is considering how little we paid- I say this because we've previously stayed at Secretes Maroma (exceptional too!) and paid almost double! The resort is gorgeous! Very well maintained, clean, easy to navigate, and the staff were awesome! We were apprehensive since it was much smaller than other places we had stayed and because the price tag was so low. Every detail was considered in all activities especially the restaurants and spa!
Two people I MUST mention would be Miguel Gutierrez @ pool side bar (swim up) because he was so nice - even made us a special drink called Mexican Gatorade. We found him on our last day to give him a significant tip! Also, Anna Rios delivered our poolside drinks with a smile and with little delay every time! We found and tipped her too! They both earned it! Great staff! Even easy to get loungers at beach or pool! Spa services are out of this world- book it!
Very Important: the only small gripe we had was our privileges upgrade....kind of a waste to pay for it! We went as a group of six- the other four didn't upgrade and were way closer to beach or pool! :/ We never used the separate beach area or Privileges clubhouse because it served no purpose...we could get snacks/lounge chairs/drinks without going there....we did use the breakfast room service once and that was great but not $400-$500 great. The privileges building is up by lobby - not anywhere near the pool or beach....we said if the resort put the Privileged guests in the pool view or ocean view rooms it would be perfection! We also had a delay for check-in (45 mins) because our room wasn't ready- friends we traveled with got their rooms right on time. Again we paid ALOT more than they did, but I realize maid service was probably doing their best to get rooms cleaned.

We just though the upgrade wasn't worth the money at all. I will also say we would return in a second- just not as a Privileged guests. Oh, and we saw our friends rooms- exact same except we had a seating area with love seat, and desk....again, not worth it. If everything else wasn't so great, we might've complained but we had an amazing time so we let it go!

Some of our friends are even rebooking this oasis for next year b/c it was so dreamy! Plus we are staying at Ocean & Sand
this Fall- only because we were so impressed with the H10 chain!!!

4  Thank Scott N Desiree G
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just returned from two weeks of bliss!
Looked at reviews on trip advisor before we went some views were conflicting, so in my humble opinion let me address them in some sort of order
My wife and I are in our fifties but not old farts and these are our opinions,
Some guests get a bit enthusiastic when they arrive, hit the booze & pool & get a bit loud, next day, no prob!
Two pools one quiet, one playful, pool bar games etc,( can't hear louder one from other)
Resort & grounds, spotless & so we'll manicured ( gardeners working nearly 24/7)
Restreraunts five of them non bad, we had our favourites ( the buffet was as good as any, lots of choice & we'll presented)
Rooms ok, clean good aircon quiet, but have stayed in better styled & equipped ( but not bad by any means)
Privilege, give it a miss, most branded alcohol there ( was drinking dark Havana rum & coke ) corona beer, cocktails,what more do you need?
Tipping? Personal choice, 20 peso or a dollar, double or more at meals, but hey ho! I'm a Brit & I tip for good service not as Americans do.
Last but not least, The staff,could not be better or friendlier, they don't get paid a lot so tip something!
If you don't like lazing in sun or water sports, don't go to cancun, day trips are just that, a day! Thirteen hours to do Chitzen- itza & bits in a coach, nothing to look at but jungle & more jungle!!
So in my opinion "GO" unless your super fussy!,,,,
p.s. On a personal note, my wife is 51 & went paragliding with me & didn't scream once, top Lady
J. Deighton

Room Tip: Keep off ground floor if you don't like wild life!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple