“It's a 3 1/2 star but they try like it's a 5.”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #47 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Barrie, ON
“It's a 3 1/2 star but they try like it's a 5.”
Reviewed 26 March 2009

This is an excellent resort in a very nice setting. The staff is what really makes this resort. From start to finish they go all out to please you. The food was no better or worse than any other all inclusive. It is a buffet after all. My only negative comment would be that the front desk at check in and out is a little slow. Just keep that in mind a lower your expectations and more importantly allow yourself a little extra time to check in and out. The entertainment staff are excellent. These folks have an amazing work ethic and are very genuine. They are the pulse of this resort even if their speedos are a little tight (holy banana hammock). Overall very highly recommended. An outstanding family resort with plenty of time for relaxation a good quality family time. I would not hesitate in very highly recommending this resort and we will return.
Some tips:
1. Coffee is weak so stick to lattes. The bartender opens at 0900 and he makes a latte better than any starbucks.
2. Beds are hard so be prepared. Ask for extra pillows first thing.
3. In the Mexican restaurant order Mexican food, In the Italian restaurant order Italian food and you wont be disappointed.
4. Try the Mojitos they rock.
5. No need to bring towels they have lots.
6. Although there is no expectation to tip it would be a a good idea to bring along some US one dollar bills. Again these folks work hard and they deserve anything extra.
7. The kids club is excellent and the two staff that run it are perhaps the most engaged people at the resort. Alex and Adrianna are outstanding.
8. Lobby has free high speed so it is worth your while to take a laptop and or a skype phone.

2 Thank DisplacedEastCoaster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,578)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed 25 March 2009

After looking a for a last minute deal for Riviera Mayan, I found two weeks at $1097 pp Canadian. It was worth every penny!!! The food was delicious! The staff was very friendly, the nightly entertainment was very professional.
We spent most of our time laying around the pool because the beach was not all that great. But that wasnt a big deal for us becuase we travelled quite a bit to other beaches. The pools like many I have seen in Mexico were not heated. It was very refreshing after laying out. Being there for two weeks we got to know many of the staff which are very friendly, especially if you take part in activities around the pool.
My fiance spent much time around the bar where he got to know the bartenders that were extremly fun, friendly and spoke very good english. I also recommend to sit around the bar if you are looking to meet people.
The food was very good. Breakfast I always had an omeltte that was never dissapointing, and fresh fruit. Lunch was a very large variety of pastas, sandwiches, salads and many mexican dishes. If you were around the pool or sitting on the beach you had a choice of the pool bar that had hamburgers and hot dogs, or snacks of your choice. Dinner was always our favorite. Dont miss out on Japanese night where you have a choice of fresh made sushi that made my fiance wait around for a second helping. The a la carte restaurants were also very good. The Japanase restaurant was more than we expected, you have a choice of different dinners and I recommend the one where you sit around the grill. That was very exciting and delicious!!!
The only negative thing I can think about off the top of my head is the rooms need to be updated. Especially with some new matresses. But this seems to be a regular complaint at many Mexican resorts. However they were pretty bad. I tossed and turned basically everynight and couldnt wait to get home to my bed where I felt like a princess.
We made sure we came up to the lobby everynight for the entertainment which was different everynight. The shows were very professional and you can tell the entertainment staff works very hard to learn all the dances.
The trip to Playa del Carmen was about 10-15 minutes. Make sure you book the shuttle a couple days in advance so you can get the times you want. Or if you prefer its a $14 US cab ride. Which also helped us a couple of times where other couples would be going the same time so we shared a cab.
I cant really say too much more except that we had a really great experience at this resort. I felt very safe, to walk by myself. I wouldnt however be by myself at night. that goes for any resort.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CanadianChica83
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We've recently just got back from vacationing at Ocean Maya (formerly H10 hotel) and we were quite disappointed. First, the check-in took a very long time (over an hour). We were travelling with teenagers and families so we wanted our rooms to be close by each other but that did not happen. Nothing special about the food, not a lot of varieties. Very disappointed with the fruits options, not a lot of tropical fruits at all. The specialty restaurants (they have 3), were not very good. Watch out for the Mexican restaurant. I would say though that the Japanese restaurant was excellent. Also regarding the 2 specialty restaurants (Mexican and Italian), if you want steak or lobster, be prepared to pay extra. Not all inclusive in the specialty restaurants. The beach was NON-EXISTENT!. They had a beach area where they have the huts and lounge chairs, but there is no swimming to the beach unless you want to jump off the dock (which we would not recommend). One thing I would give this resort is that their grounds are very well kept, beautiful flowers could be seen and the grass is very green. Very disappointed to have booked at this resort!!!

3 Thank 99Rocha
barrie
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We loved this resort (we are not in any way connected to hotel)! We went with our 2 young children during March break & loved it. Alot of negative things we read in the reviews before we left I did not experience. I've been to Dominican & Jamaica staying at 5 stars so I think I had pretty high expectiations going in & was pleasantly surprised.
THE GREAT:
The service & entertainment staff were beyond anything I expected. My kids & our friends had a blast. There was always something for us to do on the resort with the kids (kids club, mini disco for kids, & dance shows at night. The pools were awesome: always chairs (not a big resort - good), shallow & deep, and clean. Next to the pools a beach, which the kids loved playing in the sand & there were always free chairs & huts. The beach did not extend to ocean - which we did not mind because our kids always want to swim in pools. There are resorts on either side less than 50 ft where you can enter water to swim if so desired. The food was very good for an all inclusive - I love food so I'm hard to please. There was always choice & fairly decent tasting. The Japenese all la carte was great. There was always coffees at the lobby bar - top notch really. Definetly the most beautiful reasort grounds wise I had ever been to. Great spa - it had alot of services & great staff.
NOT SO GREAT
Beds were hard & a bit small. Rooms were very basic & water had a funny smell at times. Overall the rooms although spotless would be the only low point of this resort.

2 Thank vacationgirlBarrie
Ingersoll, Ontario
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Like many others, we read the reviews before we left and were a little nervous. So here is our summary: we were there from March 6 to 13, 2009. We arrived at 10:15 PM- the reception desk told us to leave our luggage (they would keep a watch on it- and they did!) and go to the Buffet to get some food and drinks as it closed at 10:30. We did, and we were VERY appreciative... we commented on what a great way to greet us. The first night at the buffet was lobster and steak dinner- again, a great first impression for dinner.

People complained of waiting too long at the bars for drinks- I never waited more than 4 or 5 minutes, and I do NOT think that is too long at an all-inclusive!! People complained of cold food- we found some of the food in the "warming trays" of the buffet to be cold- so to compensate, we waited a few extra minutes while the cooks finished what was on the grills- and our food was fresh- and HOT!! People complained of no beach- the beach was fabulous- at least the sand portion of it... the water in front of the resort is quite disgusting with black sea grass everywhere- but give yourself a treat and walk down the beach to the right of the resort and you can walk for about 20 kms into Playa Del Carmen if you wish- on the way you will find areas to swim in. We typically walked about 3 or 4 kms (each way) along the beach every day enjoying the sites- and walking off all the food/drinks we were enjoying. The pools are very nice- 2 larger pools and a kiddie pool as well. People complained of the sewer smell at the disco- again this is true but we only went to the disco one night to see what all the fuss was about- we are not disco people- and the disco is very "micky mouse" anyway!! People complained that the beds were to hard-- boo-hoo!! Yes they were hard but that is not uncommon in resorts. Besides- I asked for a king size bed like I do every time I go to an all-inclusive- and this was the first time I got one without having to ask at check-in, so we were very pleased about that.

Overall- we really liked the place and would go back. The complainers really need to give themselves a reality check- we are foreigners in their country, we are usually looking for a great vacation at bargain-basement prices (I was) and we expect them to cater to us??? ? Come on!! As you read above, when we had a "concern" about an issue, we adapted- and we had a great vacation at this resort.

The grounds of this resort are breath-taking with very mature trees, shrubs, flowers etc- it is an older hotel that was renovated in 2007 and some of it's age is evident- but again- it was a 4 star and we feel it lived up to the 4 star rating. If you do go, you must go into Playa Del Carmen to "5th Avenue" for your shopping- there are hundreds of stores and lots of bargains if you barter with the merchants (typically you should pay about half their asking price for items- except in the higher end stores).

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sunandfun2009
East Lansing, MI
Reviewed 21 March 2009

Terrible beach (basically wasn't one) and food nasty; the beds are like sleeping on wood. We were told the resort was updated but we didn't see where! Don't waste your time here. If you're looking for beach vacation you will be disappointed.

2 Thank GoGreen1128
Minnesota
Reviewed 21 March 2009

The staff make this resort a great choice. The beach is the only drawback. We had an excellent stay for 5 nights. The food was better than we expected. There were many choices and always too mch to eat. The Japanese and Italian restaurants were great. Make your reservations for the whole week early. The bungalows are quiet and arranged nicely. The resort is well laid out and easy to move around. The pools were cold in the morning but warmed up later in the day. The mixed drinks are weak but plentiful, they have Corona on tap. The coffee shop adds a nice touch of class. The check in and out were simple, no problems the whole week. The activities staff was fun and energetic, you could be invoved in some sort of activity all day long if you wanted. Ride the free shuttle into Playa and see the real beach and shop the famous flea markets. The grounds were immaculate.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ashesovercancun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#54 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#45 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!