7,729 results
All reviews blue moon el charro dolce vita pool bar japanese restaurant entertainment staff privilege area privilege beach privilege guests quiet pool foam party beach area privilege package our favourite coco bongo activity pool main bar
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Talum means stinky rock. I couldnt figure out the smell when we first arrived then someone told us it was the seaweed.
I have stayed at a few all inclusive resorts this was an above average experience for the most part. When we stayed they were redoing the sewage draining system and had all the pipes exposed. This sent up a red flag but we only had one drainage issue during our stay. This is upkeep and I understand. This resort does not have much of an accessible beach. The only beach had seaweed and was reserved for an all all inclusive set. Which I do not understand having different levels. Just be all inclusive and be done.
The room was nice as well as the balcony with a view of the jungle and its inhabitants. The pool area had fun entertainment and a great bartender. But, they let people reserve chairs with towels so by the time you get to the pool there are no chairs, just towels sunning themselves.
The nightly entertainment was very fun but they could use more seating and waitresses during the evening.
The buffet and poolside food was good with much variety. The mexican restaurant was so so. The Italian restaurant was very good. I had the Mahi, excellent.
The upscale restaurant was very good as well. Cozy with great service. Now for the downside of dining. The resort has a japanese restaurant the you have to make reservations for. While other resorts limit the number of times you can dine in the high end restaurants. Ocean Maya does not have this policy. So if you want Japanese make the reservation when you get there. We failed to make a reservation until the day of and could not get in. Ocean Maya should have a policy of limiting guests reservations so that more people could enjoy all the dining offerings.
So just a few things that could be improved. More waiters at pool, no reserving pool loungers and limit dining reservations. Great place especially on a budget!

Room Tip: Upstairs near main lobby
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
OceanCustomerService, Director General at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear Funkmeister33

Thank you for choosing Ocean Maya Royale as the host for your recent vacations and for taking the time to share your comments with the community of Trip Advisor. We are glad to read that despite the minor situations encountered, you were able to enjoy our gastronomic offer and nightly entertainment. Rest assured we will share your comments with the proper departments in order to follow up our opportunity areas.

Thank you for your preference and we hope you give us the opportunity to host you in the nearest future.

Kind regards
Ocean Maya Royale Management.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

This was my ninth stay at Ocean Maya Royale and will be visiting for the 10th time in less than 2 weeks. I can write reviews only as fast as TripAdvisor will let me post! Clearly I love this place as it’s my #1 option for an affordable, adults-only, all-inclusive vacation. I have been to the Riviera Maya 13 times, but OMR affords me the opportunity to visit 4 weeks in 2018, which is a dream come true for someone like myself. I can talk at length about why we continue to return time and time again. We don’t own a timeshare and simply decline when approached. No pressure. We are truly treated like family and the anticipation of seeing my “friends” again is awesome. You can read all of my previous TripAdvisor reviews or my blog at SMS Trips & Travels.

This time I visited with my 72-year-old mother and she had a total blast. This was her second time visiting OMR and we experienced fun and relaxation at its finest. I had just visited with my husband in January 2018, so I didn’t expect much to have changed. As soon as we stepped foot onto the resort we were treated like family. The warm welcome from Miguel, Dafne and the rest of the staff was priceless.

As always, we enjoyed the food. Jorge at Blue Moon treated us like queens during every visit. The filet was our favorite, followed by the saffron pasta with shrimp. We also enjoyed the soup and desserts.

The ambiance at La Dolce is always hard to resist. Listening to the waves as you enjoy beef Carpaccio along with the best salmon dish at the resort is almost too good to be true.

Breakfast and lunch at Privilege was always relaxing. Not only did it have the best view, but service from Manuel was always top-notch. My favorite breakfast items were the fruit plate with ham and cheese croissants and an egg on the side. There were several new lunch items that I thoroughly enjoyed! The fish tacos, chicken sandwich and caprese pita were daily staples.

We’ve seen from experience that the sea grass comes and goes. We arrived just 24 hours after a tropical storm, so our first two days were clear followed by mountains of sea grass. Either direction you looked down the beach and it’s all you could see. It was unfortunate, but by no means altered our stay because we love the pool!

In the end, my mom and I had so much fun and relaxation at Ocean Maya Royale! We were totally in sync with the same agenda every day. It was a mommy and me trip that we’ll never forget and she’s already planning her next visit! I had no doubt my friends would treat mi mama like their own. Thank you again to Miguel, Rodrigo, Karolina, Dafne, Manuel, Victor, Jorge, Yovanetti, Tila, Anna, Mario and the rest of my OMR crew for another fabulous time. I’ll see you in July for our annual two week stay!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank mousemott
OceanCustomerService, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear mousemott

We want to express our gratitude towards you for having chosen Ocean Maya Royale for the 9th visit. It is rewarding to know that you had an amazing experience while staying with us; furthermore that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided by all of our staff. We really appreciate your loyalty.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site. See you on your 10th visit to our resort.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

This past spring break, I took an adult trip with 2 of my coworkers. This place offered one of the MOST FUN experiences I’ve ever had in Mexico, and I have been to Cancun and Los Cabos several times. The rooms are very nice, the buildings look a little run down from the outside, but the insides are nice. It’s also pretty quiet since there’s only a handful of rooms in each building- almost like groups of condos or town houses. The property itself is a little spread out, but they offer a shuttle service to take you to and from your room to the main building where most of the restaurants and theater are. The food is really good- my favorites were the Japanese steakhouse and the lunch buffet by the pools. During the day, the entertainment staff has activities planned for most of the day. Hamlet, Cesar, Scarlett and Luis- also, Luis the Coco Bongo rep is one of our favorites- they ALL are very outgoing and so much fun! Francisco the pool waiter is also one of our favorites. Francisco never let us go without a drink- and he was so adorable! We wanted to take him home with us!

The only flaw of this hotel is the beach. There’s a lot of seaweed- but they try their best to get it cleaned up. There is a free tour from the entertainment staff to the mangrove down the beach- it is beautiful! You can also walk there at any time on your own.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Dear lobenhaus1

We want to thank you for having chosen Ocean Maya Royale as the host for your past vacations. Our main interest is to assure our guests' satisfaction and provide them with the best possible vacation experience and it is rewarding to know that on your visit to our resort we were able to provide an excellent vacation experience along with the entertainment team.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the users of this site. We hope to host you again in the nearest future.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

This hotel was overall great. The food was good, especially the Italian and Chinese restaurant. The day and night entertainment was pretty awesome as well. Don’t stay in playa del Carmen if you love walks in the beach. You will be disappointed. It’s not the hotels fault! There’s seaweed everywhere! And they were cleaning it up day and night! There were a few things that could have been better. The front desk always made me feel like I was bothering them. I never really felt good energy from them. The rest of the staff makes up for this because they were all extremely nice and always helpful! My second complaint is the bathroom had a smell that never went away and the floors never seemed to be completely clean. Other than that this hotel was well worth the money!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mandi M

Dear Mandi M

It was an honor to have you as our guest at Ocean Maya Royale during your vacations and we would like to thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy to read that, despite the issue with recepction and the situation of the beach, which is out of our control, your expectations were fulfilled by our delicious dining options and the great service provided by our staff.

Thank you very much for your preference and we are truly hope to receive you in the nearest future.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Ocean Maya Royale was a nice resort to stay at. We enjoyed our stay there in May/18.Our only dislike was we arrived at the same time at tropical storm Alberto. The rain for days can put a damper on any vacation, but when the rain stopped and it got up to 45° we got eat by the mosquitoes .The locals said that it was early for the rain and also the flies. Otherwise it was a great time away, resort was comfortable, food wasn't too bad, and the staff where just great. Chefs went out of their way to please, twice they cooked us something we wanted that wasn't available at the buffet. Girls serving at the lounge area where excellent, very friendly and took time to talk to you .

Room Tip: Check out where amenities are in regards to your room
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Robert C

Thank you for choosing Ocean Maya Royale as the host for your vacation. We are glad to learn that your experience at our resort was satisfactory. Furthermore, that you appreciated the friendliness and good performance of our staff.

We want to restate our gratitude for your preference and for taking the time to share your kind comments and recommending our resort. We look forward hosting you again soon.