We read many of the reviews here before booking our holiday at the Ocean Maya. The hotel was not a disappointment in any regard. The gardens really are beautiful, well maintained....I enjoyed the lay out of the grounds, meandering pathways (never crowded) to the lobby and beach. The buffet offered so many different choices that I can't imagine anyone not finding something to suit their tastes.....you can choose the 'americanized' choices or feast on grilled fish (prawns/whitefish) steak to order. Good selection for fruits, vegetables, salad....cheeses, smoked salmon, proscuitto.....keep in mind, that there are those guests who only want to eat hamburgers and those that insist that their food be 'drizzled' artfully with exotic garnishes......you truly can have both. Reservations are not required for the 3 al a carte restaurants....you just need to plan on not being seated straight away at peak times. El Charro (beachfront) is open during the day for snacks and quick lunches....I would recommend the stroll up to the buffet for a more varied selection. Dolce Vita (Italian al a carte) is nice but don't go there hungry. El Charro is open evenings with a more traditional Mexican menu. Pay attention to the handout they give you when you check in.....it describes the evening dining options. Mexican night at the buffet (El Charro is not open)....Italian night at the buffet (Dolce Vita is not open)....same for Japanese. I love to swim and the ocean was lovely....the beach is small but you can walk for miles south and enjoy long stretches if you want. Evening strolls on the boardwalk and beach were absolutely gorgeous (full moon).....mostly deserted....Pools were clean and overlook the ocean, aquafit at noon is fun and lots of people join in.
My ONLY complaint is that there is an early morning rush to 'reserve' beach loungers.....if you want a lounger, you must get down to the beach EARLY to mark your spot......Prime spots are GONE by 7am.....I am serious!! This is contrary to what I think guests should have to do.....the hotel simply needs to buy MORE beach chairs. Every guest should have the opportunity to relax comfortably.
Our room was exactly as shown in the photos. Hot water at all times...attentive housekeeping (please show respect by leaving a gratuity) for the maid. In fact, the staff were all very deserving of a small token on a daily basis....yet, we seldom saw anyone tip the staff.
We saw older couples, young families, gorgeous young men and women....a bit of variety. The entertainment staff was fun but if you like to party and have lots of nightlife, this might not be your first choice.
For those who are knocking this hotel.....I just ask them to remember what they paid....it might have been a tip off. The Ocean Maya provides excellent value for the money....beyond what we had prepared ourselves for. We had a great holiday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen