“Certainly not 5 star resort, but if you get a good price and just want to enjoy the weather it is fine”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #48 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Just returned today from week 2 weeks in Mexico. First week was at Hacienda Tres Rios-very nice resort. Second week was at Ocean Maya. It is located about 5 miles north of Playa del Carmen. It is tiered resort-that is there seem to be several levels of services offered to guests depending on what you pay. We bought this on auction for $40 per night so we got the basics. We had friends who had booked in several days earlier who warned us not to accept the main building as the air conditioning does not work. Of course they tried to put us ther but my wife was quick to say no. We got a very nice king room-it had been refurbished and had all conveniences including flat screen tv. It had a garden view, but that was fine as this resort only has a handful of oceanfront units. Food was fine. Not what you would expect based on the fact resort calls itself 5 star, but I cannot say I had an unpleasant meal. There was no lobster or fine quisine one would expect for this rating. We were advised the resort was 100% full, but they did not have sufficient staff at times to handle. On one occasion there was only one bartender handling both the pool bar and swim up bar. As well as basic guests we did not get premium liquor and were not allowed to make reservations at the restaurants. I will say the Japanese restaurant was excellent-tepanyaki table was great fun and our chef was very entertaining. I would also say food portions were larger than most Mexican resorts we have stayed at and I felt guilty that we could never eat all that was provided. They did a great job getting people involved in activities and the evening entertainment was pretty good. One nice thing was the Mikes coffee shop which did premium coffees and sandwichs. Beach is not the best, as it got hammered by the last hurricane and never came back to what it once was. They had hobie cats, windsurfers and kayaks all free of charge. One complaint that I heard from a lot of people, was that there were not nearly enough lounge chairs. You had to get up and place a towel before 7am to reserve one. My wife and I are early risers so not a problem for us but we also sat in the chairs shortly afterwards. It was disappointing to see so many people reserve chairs and then go back to bed and not show up until noon. I suggested to several guest to go ahead take reserved chairs as I had been there several hours and never saw anyone in them. I recommended the resort restrict the reserving of chairs for an unreasonable length of time. Many other resorts forbid this-if you ain't sitting in it, it's fair game. Had ok time but with so many other resorts in the area, I would not hurry back to this one.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,567)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New York
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I wish my own staff was as high-performing and motivated as everyone we met at Ocean Maya...and great eye candy, too! (JES - YUM!) I have never been to an all-inclusive and had no expectations going into it, and I did enjoy my time there. 5 days was enough, though...a bit overloaded with middle American mediocrity (smokers, drinkers, tanners - hello, skin cancer?) ...but if you feeling like doing your own thing, you'll be just fine. Buffet food was plentiful and good, but lukewarm...and restaurants were fun and yummy. Just go. Bring lots of ones to tip the hard working staff. A buck or two goes a long way. It's not necessary, but appreciated, so why not?

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review. It is our main concern to make you fell confortable during your holidays.

Hope to have you back here soon!

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We read many of the reviews here before booking our holiday at the Ocean Maya. The hotel was not a disappointment in any regard. The gardens really are beautiful, well maintained....I enjoyed the lay out of the grounds, meandering pathways (never crowded) to the lobby and beach. The buffet offered so many different choices that I can't imagine anyone not finding something to suit their tastes.....you can choose the 'americanized' choices or feast on grilled fish (prawns/whitefish) steak to order. Good selection for fruits, vegetables, salad....cheeses, smoked salmon, proscuitto.....keep in mind, that there are those guests who only want to eat hamburgers and those that insist that their food be 'drizzled' artfully with exotic garnishes......you truly can have both. Reservations are not required for the 3 al a carte restaurants....you just need to plan on not being seated straight away at peak times. El Charro (beachfront) is open during the day for snacks and quick lunches....I would recommend the stroll up to the buffet for a more varied selection. Dolce Vita (Italian al a carte) is nice but don't go there hungry. El Charro is open evenings with a more traditional Mexican menu. Pay attention to the handout they give you when you check in.....it describes the evening dining options. Mexican night at the buffet (El Charro is not open)....Italian night at the buffet (Dolce Vita is not open)....same for Japanese. I love to swim and the ocean was lovely....the beach is small but you can walk for miles south and enjoy long stretches if you want. Evening strolls on the boardwalk and beach were absolutely gorgeous (full moon).....mostly deserted....Pools were clean and overlook the ocean, aquafit at noon is fun and lots of people join in.
My ONLY complaint is that there is an early morning rush to 'reserve' beach loungers.....if you want a lounger, you must get down to the beach EARLY to mark your spot......Prime spots are GONE by 7am.....I am serious!! This is contrary to what I think guests should have to do.....the hotel simply needs to buy MORE beach chairs. Every guest should have the opportunity to relax comfortably.
Our room was exactly as shown in the photos. Hot water at all times...attentive housekeeping (please show respect by leaving a gratuity) for the maid. In fact, the staff were all very deserving of a small token on a daily basis....yet, we seldom saw anyone tip the staff.
We saw older couples, young families, gorgeous young men and women....a bit of variety. The entertainment staff was fun but if you like to party and have lots of nightlife, this might not be your first choice.
For those who are knocking this hotel.....I just ask them to remember what they paid....it might have been a tip off. The Ocean Maya provides excellent value for the money....beyond what we had prepared ourselves for. We had a great holiday!

3 Thank Jan T
Dear Guest,

it is really nice to hear that you had such a great time with us. Our main concern is to make your holidays a very pleasure time. Thank you for giving us the oportunity to welcome in Mexico despite any comment that you read before coming.

We hope to see you back with us soon!

Subdireccion.hhm@h10.es
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2011

There was more staff that made our trip enjoyable then there was bad. Having worked in the hospitality and a major hotel chain there was a few cases where I felt the staff could have been more enpowered to ensure our comfort. There was not enough chairs on the beach and yet the "Privelege chairs sat empty, use them. A la Carte resturant not able to eat at empty chop table until after 8, when the "Privelege" where done, but was also unable to let us put our names down so we can return at 8 for a dinner & a show. I also came down with Montazuma, from on property, and had been out of sorts last day and all night before we left, as we left at 7pm that night I asked for a late check no charge and was denied, unable to enjoy last 2 days of 7, and was in room, I was very upset. Very uncomfortable. Only one in group that was sick. All Entertainment staff, and Alberto,Gilberto,Ebner,Johny where GREAT!! Lots of laughs!! Mexican resturant also great service and great staff. All food was ok to good, not great. But we still ate lots.

2 Thank Pinkydawn
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your review. We hope that you are felling better now, we understand that is not so nice to be sick while you are on holiday.
More sunlounges have been purchased for the confort of our guest. Thanks to your comments we can improve every day to offer our future guests a quality service.
Hope you decide to come back with us soon.

Kind regards

Chatham, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2011

This was a nice resort : clean, excellent service, great staff, good food, and just the right size. However, many of the extra services promised and paid for were not provided. We were given the wrong room, and had to switch the next day. The priveleged suite, which upon appearance was very nice, had its problems. The bar fridge kept drinks lukewarm at best, and the double jacuzzi couldn't pump enough water to foam the bubble bath.The bathroom shower leaked so badly that our towels were used to mop up the water, and the floor remained wet most of the week. The ceiling fan in the suite didn't work and above all, THE AIR CONDITIONING IN THE ENTIRE BUILDING DID NOT WORK, BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER OUR STAY. Sleeping was very difficult, the noise was from the fans to circulate air sounded like jet engines, and our clothes were so damp that my wife couldn't wear her blue jeans on our return trip.
Despite the problems, we would make a return visit if the above issues were addressed and repaired promptly.

2 Thank Kathy181757
Dear Guest,

We apreciate your comments about the Hotel. Sometimes maintenance problem can take place, but we fix them as soon as possible.
We hope that you give us you confidence and for your next trip you choose us again as your Destiny.
Should you decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me in advance

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 January 2011

We all thought resort grounds & architecture was very beautiful. Just finishing up a $10 million upgrade? Where? I didn't notice anything "new" except some of the buildings had a new paint job. Or was the $$ for rebuilding the beach? hugh hugh hugh sandbags were used to build up and protect what is there for beach area - kinda weird to be walking in the water (out about 10-12' to feel the crevis of a sand bag - weird - We are not the "hard to please" type of vacationers, however cold buffet food every day was disapointing (sp?) Breakfast eggs cold maybe luke warm, sausage cold - fresh pasteries & desserts - wow I didn't know there were 1000 ways to make jello. plus most of the cake type deserts tasted the same - which was bland. What I thought was flan, tasted like the everything else. Lunch / dinner not any better - we waited in line 1 1/2 hrs to get into the Japanese place - (5 of us total) they have 4 tables that hold 8 people for the "cook show" however only 1 table of 8 is allowed for the white wrist band persons, the time we were in the restaurant, I don't think all of the tables were filled up at any one time - just a shame to advertise something or wait for something only to be disapointed (again) Oh, and everything I tasted was cold, no kidding, and this was food we ordered off the 'menu' . Of course the weather didn't help lift our spirits as it was rainy, windy and chilly - better food and drinks probably would have eleivated some of the weather disappointment - but that didn't happen. I even brought booze from home and was going to the bar just for coke, and poured in my own --which I would have brought more of my own. There was an incedent one nite - (not going into details) and we asked for a different room - the following day (10 am) - so, @ 3 pm we got to move to the new room - and it was horrible, really - the musty smell was the worse, the patio had a little ant festival going on - so we couldn't keep the door open and air out the room, and to top it off one bed had wet linens through to the matteress under the 'top sheet'! how disturbing....... They had all day to find us a room - and this is what was given to us - we asked for housekeeping to come to the room, but after 1-2 hrs no one never came - so, we went to the lobby looking for someone in charge - so then again, later that evening - we were moved to a different room, and go figure - it was a room right up the stairs from where we had been to begin with -- omg -- hauling your luggage midway into a vacation - not enjoyable but to move from one villa to the next AND then back again! OMG. I do want to mention that they did 'comp' us each a 30 min. message, thanks to our tour guy who "speaking in spanish to the supervisor on duty" got us the massage, and it was nice (my 1st one ever),Though without him, a crappy bottle of champagne was suppose to aide in our grief, frustration, anxiety etc. I am only stating what we experienced -- and this is getting quite lenghty, but we were not the only ones who shared our experiences, as we got chummy with other vacationers who felt the same way about the food, bars and the resort grounds (which are beautiful) --The bars are understaffed - especially the pool bar - the 2 days it was nice enough to get into the pool there was 1 guy, yep 1 guy handling the pool bar part and the regular bar, plus making the drinks for the 2 waitresses they had getting drinks around the rest of the pool area and beach - yeap 1 guy - unbelievable (sp?) I can honestly say the only nite of 7 that i felt a little tipsy was our first nite - and the few beers we had on the bus before we were dropped off.. helped. we did like the Coffee Shop - that nite. On our last nite (Monday) I had 4, 'suprise me' drinks - told the bartender to make what ever he wanted these were in the blender, I can say they had fruity flavor, but no effect of alcohol - the drinks even started to separate before I could drink them that's pretty sad. I think this is my 1st vacation in over 10 years of travel to 3 different parts of Mexico, 2 different islands, and a cruise, that I never had a hangover at least one day -- rain or shine - I mean isn't that the reason you go all inclusive, eat drink be merry anytime you want? So, hope this is helpful to those who read reports - before they book their vacations. Be prepared for 2nd rate service if you're not wearing the black bands. I could go on - but I think I made my point. Not sure where the next vacation will be - as everywhere is becoming so developed - tourestie - such a shame!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DblDs
Dear guest,

It is with disapointment that we find out that you did not have a good time at the Hotel. Unfortunately, sometimes we can not cover everybody's expectations. We will take all your comments to improve our services for all our future customers.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Our first visit to the Ocean Maya Royale Resort this January 2011 was for us like a family visit. The resort is managed by a talented team of Manager Giovanni Gil and his Assistant Manager beautiful Miss Maria Lopez. Miss Maria knows several languages and guest see her all over the resort: at the reception desk overlooking the registration of new arrivals, at the restaurant checking work performance and quality of food, she walks among people, talking to them, asking if there is anything they want improved or if there is any assistance the hotel can provide. You can see her in the coffee shop, the bar or at the swimming pools. Her smile and friendliness to guests and workers makes every one’s day better in addition to the almost daily Mexican sunny weather.
But it is hard work to keep guests happy. Take into consideration all buildings, gardens with coconut and other trees, flowers and bushes, daily performances at theater, music, and repairs.
The rooms at the resort are clean and well lighted. There are in-room safes, refrigerators that are daily stocked with beer and other drinks, TV and nice balconies.
The food at restaurants is great and plentiful. At the main restaurant there is a great Chef, inventive with her surprises. You never know what she will offer in addition to the great food selection, what sweets or drinks… This lady chef is miracle maker and guests look forward for her next creation!
In comparison with many other places where we have been before, we give to Ocean Maya an A++ grade and a recommendation to go there where not only management but all resort employees all the time greet people with smiles and best wishes and experience for themselves the happy time.
Great job by Gil and Maria keeping everyone happy!

Minneapolis MN, Jan.2011-20 George and Nancy Soldatow

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nsold2003
Dear Miss and Mr Soldatow,

I really thank you for all your lovely words about the Hotel and the staff, including myself!. It was a pleasure seing you again this year and very nice talking to you everyday during your stay.
I have read this review to all our team and they were also very pleased to know that you had such a wonderfull time with us.
As we spoke, please let me know before you come next year.

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#58 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#38 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!