“Friendly staff and OK location”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #47 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Just arrived back from Mexico on Jan. 29. Had a great time. The staff were very friendly and food was plentiful and good. NO COMPLAINTS. Entertaintment was poor. The first day we arrived we had NO airconditioning so we couldn't sleep, so we closed down the bar, went to the front desk the next morning and they were going to move us to another resort, but we didn't want to change so they did give us another room and thank god this one had air. One complaint was there is not enough lounge chairs around the pool area, if you weren't down there by 6:45am to reserve chairs you didn't get one so I caught on to that pretty quick. Over all the resort was very well kept and staff was very friendly, I would recommend this resort to anyone, but if you plan on doing tours I would recommend staying on the other side of Playa as the tours are a distance away from the Ocean Maya Resort.

1  Thank Darcy1029
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2011

Dear Guest,

It is really nice to know that you had such a great time with. As for the inconveniences with the A/A, they have been fixed, sometimes technical problems can happen, but we do apologize for this matter.
We hope that you decide to use us again as your next holiday destination.

Kind regards,

subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Write a ReviewReviews (6,820)

Reviewed 31 January 2011

All I got to say it was one of the best trips I have taken, been to cuba and acapulco mexico and this place definetly the best so far. My Girlfriend has also been to dominican and she agrees with me.

Very clean and well taken care of. Very Modern. Only complaint is not much night life and the beach chairs were hard to come by but we managed to get them every day.

Food was awsome. My girlfriend is really bad with some food places even in Canada but had no issue at all here, we went to all the restaurnts and the buffet's and there were no issues, she ate everything. Room service was also great orderd at 2am in the morning and it was fresh and hot.

Staff is so friendley and they dont bag for tips, they are always walking around and asking if you want a drink and letting you know what is going on durring the day, Pool arobics, poker, yoga etc...

I would recommend this resort to everyone that is visiting Playa del Carmen.

1  Thank dwiniarz

Dear guest,

It is such a pleasure when I read that one of our customers had the best trip so far!. Our staff works very hard for our guests to enjoy their holidays and in your case we have managed to give you a great experience.

Hope you let us look after you again soon!,

Kind regards

Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed here the first week of January and found this hotel very beautiful!. The rooms are quite modern and very roomy. The food was good but, the la-carte's are impossible to get in to unless you were wiling to wait untill 8 or 9:00 to eat. This hotel advertises that you do not need to make a resevation but, what that really means is that you can't make a reservation and even if you line up an hour before the restaraunt opens you still probably wont get in. It was disapointing to get all dressed up for dinner and then have to eat at the buffet. The staff were great and the resort itself was very nice, but i probably will not return to this resort.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Our family enjoyed a great relaxing week, Maria and her staff insured that our stay was
most pleasent.The Sarappa family was treatad with the prestige service.
All the resturants and buffet had more than we expected and the food well,excellant.
A supper clean resort,friendly and very helpful.
For the beach I would rate ; 7 on 10 but very enjoyable, we were able to take very long walks on the beach with no problem what so ever.
This would surely be one resort that we recommend highly,and surely to return again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tsarappa
Reviewed 29 January 2011

We stayed here at the Ocean Maya Royale Jan18-25/2011and enjoyed our stay here.
The grounds were gorgeous very well maintained and the staff were exceptional.
The staff is what made our stay here memorable.
Giselle,Ricardo,and Omar were the entertainment staff and our absoloute favourites.
Alfredo at the buffet restaurant was a pleasure also.
Our bartender in the loddy Egnazio was the BEST bartender see him for drinks they are amazing.
The Rooms were very clean and comfortable.
The only thing that we think needs improvement is the food.
There was not enough variety and it was too repeated.
The A la Cartes we tried the Mexican and Italian and the portions were too small.
I would Definately reccomend this hotel in hopes that the food would improve.

Mr Ocean Maya 2011

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Just returned today from week 2 weeks in Mexico. First week was at Hacienda Tres Rios-very nice resort. Second week was at Ocean Maya. It is located about 5 miles north of Playa del Carmen. It is tiered resort-that is there seem to be several levels of services offered to guests depending on what you pay. We bought this on auction for $40 per night so we got the basics. We had friends who had booked in several days earlier who warned us not to accept the main building as the air conditioning does not work. Of course they tried to put us ther but my wife was quick to say no. We got a very nice king room-it had been refurbished and had all conveniences including flat screen tv. It had a garden view, but that was fine as this resort only has a handful of oceanfront units. Food was fine. Not what you would expect based on the fact resort calls itself 5 star, but I cannot say I had an unpleasant meal. There was no lobster or fine quisine one would expect for this rating. We were advised the resort was 100% full, but they did not have sufficient staff at times to handle. On one occasion there was only one bartender handling both the pool bar and swim up bar. As well as basic guests we did not get premium liquor and were not allowed to make reservations at the restaurants. I will say the Japanese restaurant was excellent-tepanyaki table was great fun and our chef was very entertaining. I would also say food portions were larger than most Mexican resorts we have stayed at and I felt guilty that we could never eat all that was provided. They did a great job getting people involved in activities and the evening entertainment was pretty good. One nice thing was the Mikes coffee shop which did premium coffees and sandwichs. Beach is not the best, as it got hammered by the last hurricane and never came back to what it once was. They had hobie cats, windsurfers and kayaks all free of charge. One complaint that I heard from a lot of people, was that there were not nearly enough lounge chairs. You had to get up and place a towel before 7am to reserve one. My wife and I are early risers so not a problem for us but we also sat in the chairs shortly afterwards. It was disappointing to see so many people reserve chairs and then go back to bed and not show up until noon. I suggested to several guest to go ahead take reserved chairs as I had been there several hours and never saw anyone in them. I recommended the resort restrict the reserving of chairs for an unreasonable length of time. Many other resorts forbid this-if you ain't sitting in it, it's fair game. Had ok time but with so many other resorts in the area, I would not hurry back to this one.

Reviewed 27 January 2011

I wish my own staff was as high-performing and motivated as everyone we met at Ocean Maya...and great eye candy, too! (JES - YUM!) I have never been to an all-inclusive and had no expectations going into it, and I did enjoy my time there. 5 days was enough, though...a bit overloaded with middle American mediocrity (smokers, drinkers, tanners - hello, skin cancer?) ...but if you feeling like doing your own thing, you'll be just fine. Buffet food was plentiful and good, but lukewarm...and restaurants were fun and yummy. Just go. Bring lots of ones to tip the hard working staff. A buck or two goes a long way. It's not necessary, but appreciated, so why not?

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2011

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review. It is our main concern to make you fell confortable during your holidays.

Hope to have you back here soon!