“Fun, Sun, Food & Friendliness”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #47 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Langley City, Canada
“Fun, Sun, Food & Friendliness”
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Way better than expected. 12 of us traveled down Jan 28th until Feb 4th from Vancouver ,BC area.Can't understand why some people posted negative??Food was great, lots and lots of choices for alcohol even with a white band.Little waits at the bars. Had no problem getting into the restaurants. Japanese one was good and so was the Mexican.The entertainment staff were amazing. Laurena was amazing, treating us like family. Ricardo was hillareous.Even got to meet some of the management (Maria Lopez)She made herself quite available and made sure everything was going good.Felt like we meant something. We tried one of the mega resorts a few years back( Grand Palladium) did not get that personal feeling /attention that we felt at the Ocean Maya. Was our stay totally perfect? I can live with a super firm mattress no big deal. We plan to come back again if they can still handle a dozen crazy Canadians .

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TimKo1
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this review, 13 February 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your comments on tripadvisor. For me is always a pleasure when I can meet some of our guests and make myself available to make sure they all have a great time, this is what a holiday is about.

I hope you come back soon with us!,

Best regards,

subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,560)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Zumbrota, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We were here from 1/21 - 1/28. Friday to Friday is the way to go. When you get back you have the weekend to get settled back in. My wife & I traveled here with another couple. We all wanted a relaxing, no thinking vacation right on the beach. We wanted good food, good drinks and good service. We got all 3. I would be remiss if I do not mention the hard working, polite & fun people working here that made our stay pleasurable. We spent most of our time at the poolside bar with David & Edwin. These guys work hard and still smile and have fun. They put in long days. In the lobby bar was Iggy or as we called him, Dr. Nacho with the medicine. He was always in good spirits as well. The restaurants were managed well by Ulysses. Alberto and Kenny are an excellent waiters. Wonderful people, all of them. Here's the specifics.

Food - There is 4 restaurants. We ate at all of them. None of us ever had Japanese so we tried it. Not for us. We heard lots of good things about it but it just isn't for us. It's probably the smallest restaurant. The other 3 restaurants were very good, especially the Italian restaurant, wow! That was quite a surprise. Top notch food & presentation. The only improvement they can do here is move the restaurant up to the main complex away from the beach area where there is a man made bern of sorts to protect the shore. For some reason it creates a foul smell and we would catch it ever so often. This resort is going to go adults only this spring and that building would be a perfect place to transform into a band / dance place. The breakfast buffet had a large variety eveyday and was excellent. The buffet that was open all day for munching also had a fair amount of variety and very good.

Room Service - We called room service one night. We couldn't locate a menu in our room so we just asked what was available. The person didn't tell us much that was available so we just asked about certain things we were hungry for that we thought made sense that they would have, burger, fries, hot dog... Yes! we have those. It took 45 minutes but that was ok. It was good when it got there.

Entertainment - I think they have shows every night but we only made it to 2 of them. Both of them were very good.

Beach - Earlier reviews weren't high on the beach, but we found it very nice and worked well for us. They built a boardwalk on most of their beach. I suspect it's to protect their beach from storms. They had a small beach area next to that, that we went to everyday. Our routine was get up early, go claim our 4 chairs & go for a nice long walk on the beach. We'd come back, go for breakfast & head out to our palapa and chairs for the day. We'd read and relax. Around noonish it was cocktail time. We would continue relaxing, reading, drinking and people watching. We maight go for a nap or another walk & then grab an afternoon snack. Later we would shower up & go get supper & maybe a show. Do it all over again the next day.

Rooms - We had a 2nd level room and our friends had a ground floor room in the next building over. We couldn't get in the same building but that was ok. We both had "Ocean View" rooms. Technically we could see the ocean but it's not what some people might think as "ocean side". But that was ok with us. The rooms are large enuf and very nice. We had a king bed. We've been to many different places in Mexico and know to expect the beds to be hard. Nice flat screen. Very small frig. They would stock it daily with only 2 beers until I found the guy stocking and asked him to put as many as he could in there each day & then he did 4. I had read in earlier info on the resort that they stocked a bottle of tequilla in the rooms but they must've changed that cuz that wasn't the case, but no biggy. Our door lock stopped working so we had to get maintenance down to replace it. They came pronto and repaired it. We got room service each day. They don't do the folded towel animals here but we didn't mind. They don't always replenish everything so we would ask for things if needed and they kindly obliged.

Trip to PDC - One day we took a taxi rde into PDC & spent the day there. That was nice but it was good to return to the resort and relax again.

Grounds - The whole resort is well maintained and beautiful. They are constantly work ing on it. We admired the grounds wherever we went.

Pools - Unfortunately the weather was unseasonably cold, cloudy & breezy when we were there. The pool isn't heated. I got in it once just to say we got in it. I sat in one of the 4 built in lounge chairs with jets in them. They would be nice on a hot day. The pools were very clean.

Massage - We originally wanted to get an hour massage but we found the price higher than back home so we passed.

Bracelet - There were 3 different bracelets, white, green and a black/yellow. The black/yellow was the 'privaleged' level that allowed you access to queen size lounge beds with canopies and waitresses. I think it also got you right in to the restaurants with no waiting but not positive. We had green bracelets which I'm told is above white. I asked someone what the green got us over the white and they just said special treatment. We could never tell a difference from white ot green. The only restaurant issue was when we tried to go to the Japanese place, there was a line & I dunno if we could've got right in or not cuz we decided to go the next night instead.

Drinks - I don't drink beer so I had many different types of drinks that were all very good, some better than others & some we made up. David & Edwin were pretty creative. That was fun. Beer at most all-inclusives is usually keg beer and in plastic glasses. My wife and other couple were ok with it but would prefer much colder beer in cans. No complaints tho. They seem to go down just the same.

3 Thank tim m
Dear Guest,

We really apreciate such a great review. I would personally like to thank you for remember so many people from our staff, I will share this review with them. Reviews like yours is what makes our everyday work worth it.

Please if you decide to come back with, do not hesitate to contact me in advance.

Williamsburg, Iowa
Reviewed 7 February 2011

My wife and I stayed here Jan 21-26 and were satisfied with our investment. I read a lot of conflicting reviews before and stopped reading. I came to realize your satisfaction is based on your expectations. We expected a smaller and quieter resort with decent food, drinks, and service. That is what we received. We could have paid more but took a chance because our travel agent has sent many satisfied customers here. Considering we would have paid more than twice to stay next door at Secrets, I didn’t see the value. I would definitely return but I am afraid we won’t get as good as a deal as we did this year.
I will comment on a few things I have read on other reviews:
The hotel didn’t seem to be very full at all but there was adequate staffing to fulfill everyone’s needs. We didn’t have to wait too long to check in at 5pm. I was expecting someone to offer extra upgrades but we got the room we reserved with no delay. We never had to wait more than two or three people to get drinks, omelets, or grilled food.
Restaurants: We went to the Japanese, Italian, and then the Mexican restaurants in that order because that is how people rated them. We were disappointed in ourselves because we liked the Mexican restaurant the best, really, you are in Mexico! We asked if we had to make reservations but they said no. We walked right in every restaurant and were seated.
Drinks: The alcohol was mostly local but if you are drinking mixed drinks it really didn’t matter. I like good beer and liquor but it was adequate. They did have Bacardi and Captain Morgan rums that you could ask for. They had Corona on tap. The wine was the only real disappointment.
Black Bracelets: I think they felt like they were the outsiders. There weren’t very many of them, maybe 10-15 people. They did have a roped off section of the beach with the beds, own server, and I think they were able to get the premium liquor. I didn’t notice any different tiers. I am glad we didn’t upgrade but we were never asked anyway.
Beach/Pool: There was a glass wall but it helped blocked the wind and noise of the surf on windy days. There was a normal beach to the south that we sat at everyday. I thought our beach was nicer than Secrets. There wasn’t a lot of people swimming in the ocean or the pools. My wife did swim laps in the pool with no problems. The pool bar has six stools in the pool side and I rarely saw anyone sitting on them. There were always two bartenders at the pool bar. Bring your own cup, save water and labor washing the small plastic cups they have. You do have to reserve some chairs before 8-9am.
Rooms: Rooms are very nice. Yep, beds are hard, that is what the drinks are for.
Travel: We did walk out to the road and got picked up by a collective van. They take you to the bus station in Cancun or Playa Del Carmen or will stop anywhere on the way. Cancun was 34 pesos and Playa was 15 each person. In Cancun you have to take a R1 bus to get to the hotel zone. We recommend going to Playa del Carmen and walking 5th Ave. Eat at La Parrilla. You can get your good tequila there, ask for a tequila menu.
Entertainment: I don’t know why resorts think they need to entertain you. I think their money would be better spent else ware. Just some light local music in the lobby at night would be sufficient.

1 Thank Rico70
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for posting a review on tripadvisor. We are sure that many future customers will find this review very helpful. In the other hand, our mision is to make your stay memorable and it makes us very happy to see that we managed to fulfill all your expectations.

Post Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Just returned from the Ocean Maya. Was so nervous after reading some reviews. The only complaint we have is that we cannot return because we travel with children. Adults only hotel starting in March.

Everyone of the staff was excellent. Food was fine, plenty to choose from but have to agree the Japanese Restaurant was the best. We never had difficulties getting into any of the Restaurants. The grounds and surroundings are perfect.

Cannot say enough great things. Nothing was a dissapointment....wish we could return!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Armenian4
Dear Guest,

We really apreciate your comments on tripadvisor. We are very happy to know that you had such a great time with us.
As you have mentioned, we will become an only adults hotel, but please if you decide to come back before this hapens, do not hesitate to contact me in advance.

Best regards

Oshawa
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Just home from a very nice trip to the Ocean Maya Resort. I was traveling with a friend and on the whole the trip was well worth repeating. I would go again, and I would recommend the resort to guests that enjoy the day but are not looking for a lot of nite life or individual attention.

Every place has its good points and its bad. Checking in was a disaster, but after that things were relatively smooth. Ended up with a very nice room/ bathroom - absolutely no complaints.

Pool bar service was extremely slow........The hotel could really help themselves out, by having extra staff there. It seemed to be a main complaint by most of the guests we met. Comparing the service to other resorts, it did not as well. .It wasnt the fun spot that other resorts have....On the other hand, it was not noisy - just very relaxing......

The animation/show staff were wonderful. Their shows were the best I have seen when compared to other resorts. The dancers, the Hoops and the Silks ,,,,,,WOW,,,,beyond amazing. .....Total 10 there....The Mayan show - very powerful.. - another 10.. I missed Grease, but heard it was really good and really fun. The animation staff were a super big plus for the resort.......They work so hard and it shows. Day time, nite time, meal time - great involvement. Lots to do, lots to see, and lots of fun to participate in.

The food - well it could be better.....There was adequent amounts, but nothing that you could say was delicious except for the breads and the chocolate. I would not recommend the resort for its food, but it was pretty typical of 3/12 to 4 star... You wont go hungry. The Italian was the best of the 3 al la carts...........the spinach soup was really nice and the chicken dish and the beef dish were really good. Have to admit though.....seeing racoons coming into the dining area.......was just a big big NO...Screening needs to be placed so the little critters stay away....Some people however thought it was really neat, and were taking lots of pictures....The Mexican restaurant has fabulous "special Mexican coffee". It is a show in itself to see if prepared and then it is a real treat.

The grounds at the Ocean Maya are really beautiful. Everything is so perfectly manicured, so
pretty, so relaxing. One of the prettiest resorts I have ever been in. It felt very tropical - more then a 10 plus rating there.

The rooms are nice - recently undergone renovations, so they are bright and nice. I liked the smaller buildings way better then a large hotel type resort....It was always a beautiful walk to get back to you room no matter where you stayed.

The pools are really big and really nice. - from the pools you see the beach - not something you get to see very often - really wonderful views.......not enough cots, but if you get there real early in the morning (before breakfast) you can put your towel on a cot to safe them.

The beach area is really nice, beautiful white soft sand. You can walk for miles to the right......and to the left you can walk about 10 minutes to the lagoon areas for a nice swim.....nice to see....

The resort is about 20 minutes to Playa del Carmen....a 14 dollar taxi ride (US),,,You can ask at the front desk for a taxi to be called. Max 4 to a taxi. Go in the evening - its real pretty and lots of places to have a good meal. Very touristy......busy, but really interesting to walk around..... I dont know how long 5th Ave is, but it must be a few miles of shops.

Again, back to the 9:30 nitely shows.....The only nite, we really didnt like was the so called romance nite.............old cheesy music, focasing in on couples..........not a lot of involvement by the guests. The staff worked really hard to make the evening enjoyable, but it just didnt cut the cake......... Too many slow songs and couple type music. One nite there was a really fun dance hour or two - much more fun and laughter, and I am sure that most guests would prefer that over the romance nite. Fun nites are what is remembered.....

If you are looking for a clean, well kept pretty resort, with pools right on the beach, decent nite shows - this is the place to be. I would go again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank oshawaa
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments. Reviews like this, so especific, really help us to work on details which lead us to a high quiality service for our guests. It is with pleasure to know that you and your friends had a good time with us.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 February 2011

We booked a Continental Airlines Vacation package at Ocean Maya, with travel to and from NYC and 5 nights, only $1750. Great price. The resort is very nice. It's not the hippest resort perhaps, but it is very beautiful, pristine in terms of the grounds and cleanliness of all buildings. Friendliest service I have ever experienced, both poolside, boat house, and throughout the restaurants. Food is good. Offers quality choices, lots of choices, especially at the Hacienda restaurant, the main building which has the large buffet room. Lots of healthy choices, fresh fruit, vegetables, and endless unhealthy as well. Very much a tourist spot, half Americans and Canadians, another half a mix of Europeans and Mexicans. All very happy and friendly as well. What's not to like, everyone has a drink in their hands! The two large pools are beautiful and the best thing about the resort is the beach. There are lots of umbrellas and chairs, get out there early to stake your ground, but offers more than most resorts in terms of beach area and sunning spots! We took a Hobie Cat sail boat out most days, no charge. I would suggest you spend a little extra for a "ocean view" room. We really liked this!

Nice resort, ten minute taxi ride to Playa del Carmen, great staff, excellent value!

Dear Guest,

We really apreciate your nice review on tripadvisor. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us. Our staff works everyday to make your stay very special and comments like yours help us to keep going to rich an excellent service for our guests.

Mahopac, NY
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Everything was quite good. The food was average, not great but we've all had worse. My biggest gripe was the lack of availability of coffee. Between 6-7 AM there were a few carafes available for the guests. When the carafes were emptied, you had to wait until the dining room opened. During lunch hours, there was no coffee in the dining room and you had to walk to the lobby to get coffee. Has anyone heard of coffee urns? If you're a coffee drinker like me, either make sure the coffee maker in the room is working or invest in a supply of Starbucks VIA.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and also thank you for your comments, which will all be taken under consideration to improve our service to a high quality.
We are sorry to hear that you had trouble geting coffee. We have a very special spot at the Hotel for coffee which is The Mikes Coffe, where we serve also cakes and sandwiches, it is very recomendable for any other future guests.

We hope that you put your trust again on us and come back soon!,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,055 reviews
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#49 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#50 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,299 reviews

Been to Ocean Maya Royale? Share your experiences!