“nice and relaxing...”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #71 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The hotel is beautiful. Woodsy and surrounded by a lush landscape. I went there with my husband and two girls (ages 14 and 11) from August 25th to the 31st. We had a blast. The scenery was gorgeous and the room we had (a standard two beds room) was nice with a beautiful ocean view. We were in building 22 ( I requested that building and they obliged). The pools are as clean as can be and the restaurants are decent--the buffet does get a bit old though. The drinks were delish!! We had three specialty restaurants. We ate a La Hacienda (mexican food) and food was very good as well as their Sangria:) El Pescador was truly scrumptious and Sonora Grill did the job too.
Everyone at the resort is hospitable but they do push the time share part a bit too much--she became quite annoying!
--All of us would LOVE to still be there so hopefully we will return again. it was such a pleasant and relaxing vacation...

Oh and from the airport we used cancun cab. It was only 90 dollars for the 4 of us for roundtrip travel to and from the airport. What a nice company and cheap!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kellyNewy0rk
Write a ReviewReviews (13,416)

Reviewed 12 September 2012

In mid-August we stayed six nights and had a blast. I had read some very negative reviews prior to our trip, but our experience was generally fantastic. We would love to stay at this resort again.

Overall:
We liked the setting and physical resort. The grounds were attractive and well-maintained. We liked the large size of the resort and enjoyed exploring and walking around. We enjoyed watching birds and other animals (agoutis and coatis) from our room’s porch and as we walked around. Our room was large and comfortable. Staff were very nice and helpful. We were treated well by everyone and found the people at the guest services desk to be extremely helpful. Our housekeeper, Ricardo, was also great to us. I had read a lot about problems people had with the timeshare/Royal Club sales people. We had no such problem. The first day one of those people might have tried to talk to us, but I brushed them off and it never happened again. We were also pleased with the food. There was always something good to eat at the buffets and the food at the a la carte restaurants was good to excellent depending on restaurant and dish.

More Specifics:
We always had what we needed from the mini-fridge. We left a tip and a note. After arrival we bought the multi-day pass to Xcaret Park in the lobby of OGX and took advantage of the park being next to the resort often as we walked over there when we had free time. The salt water pool and neighboring cove at the resort were really great for snorkeling (and just really beautiful). The pool closest to our room was very clean (more so than the other pool with the swim up bar). We had bit of a problem with our shower (which was large and pretty) - water would run out of the shower under the door onto the floor. We solved the problem by putting a towel across the gap at the bottom while we showered. Also the shower head had really strong water pressure, but this would cause the shower head to jump at times and fall down at others.

Food (Let me clarify that all these restaurants are in the OGX resort and included with all-inclusive):
We loved the La Hacienda the a la carte Mexican restaurant. This is where we had the best food on the trip. Two great soups, good red wine, delicious guacamole from the salad bar, good chicken mole, excellent beef with cactus, fried cream puff with cinnamon sugar, and our waiter (who was great) made a flaming Mexican coffee at our table (and he gave my husband a tequila shot). We usually ate breakfast at the buffet by the sea (so pretty). At breakfast I recommend cajeta on the bananas with yogurt and the juice that is a combination of cactus/celery/orange. (Beware Tang impersonates orange juice, so choose juice carefully.) Ceviche with avocado and corn at the seafood a la carte was another one of the best things we ate. Al pastor tacos at the taco bar were also very good. At lunch buffet we enjoyed good ribs, soups, chicken wings, ice cream, and salad. Food at the dinner buffet was our least favorite (but we did not eat there much because of a la carte meals and taco bar). There was some good stuff at the dinner buffet, but you needed to look for it. Also when we were there late the table was a bit dirty.

Small complaints aside we are ready to go back to the OGX resort and feel it was an excellent value. Such a fun place!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We just got back from 7 day vacation at the Occidental Grand Xcaret in Riviera Maya Mexico. I was a bit concerned after reviewing all the negative reviews about this resort, but I'm more than happy that I went there. The resort was great....the staff was very helpful.....I left my Sony camera at one of the phone booths at the main lobby and I was very surprised to find it at loss and found at the reception. The rooms were very clean, and the mini bar was filled every day. We had no issue at all with the service or the room we were in. We were in 3rd floor of buiding 12 and the elevator was broken for the first 2 days that we were there. It was hard getting to the 3rd floor after dinner, but nothing to complain about. The buffet has so many choices of food and the food was very tasty. We were ten people that travel. 2 seniors, they changed the room from 3rd floor to a room on main level without any hassel. The rest of us, 4 adults and 4 kids. We felt safe at all times. We had no issue with people trying to sell us time share, although we saw lot of them going aroun trying to get people to listen to them. If you say no to them, they kind of left you alone. I would definitely return to this hotel if we get a good deal again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank rukmin a
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This was a very nice, albeit somewhat older hotel. Definitely needs some updating, but it's built into and around the surrounding greenery, which is very nice. We had a monkey that regularly swung by the room. That said, the routes to anywhere are a bit circuitous. Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Food was generally good, although nothing exceptional. Mexican a la carte restaurant can be skipped. Fellow travellers who paid for an upgrade ($100/pp) were disappointed as their "perks" were minimal. Same room as us, but they got a fruit basket and a bottle of tequila. The beach is a man-made inlet which makes it very child friendly as there are minimal waves. Nice sand and restaurant situated at the beach, but for those who like long strolls on the beach, this isn't the place for you. Also, because it's such a small area, I wouldn't want to be there at prime time as the area is very small. Pools are very nice, but they were extremely hot given the high temperatures (i.e., pool was in the upper 80 degree range). Nightly shows were OK, but half were audience participation type shows. Playa del Carmen is about a 10 minute ($11) cab ride away. Swimming with the whale sharks was amazing. If you're there at the right time of year, it's work every penny ($199). Rooms were nice. Only issue was tiny ants here and there on the walls and bathroom. Nothing a bit a bug spray couldn't handle. Overall, it was a very nice week.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a higher floor given the number of bugs since rooms are built into and around tropica...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zippy_Girl44
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We generally prefer not to go A/I simply because there is so much to see outside of your hotel however when we booked this holiday we got a very good travel deal which included an A/I package.The hotel itself is massive - again something we are not always fond of but in this instance it was wholly pleasant and you never lost interest as there is always so much to be involved in- or not- the choice is yours- a bit like a cruise.There are some fabulous touches- eg the stream which runs through the hotel - and every tea time a canoe with Mayans aboard sounds a conch shell and puts on a display for you to watch, there is a large carp pool in the centre, you automatically receive tickets for the day time and a night show at the famous Xcaret Eco Park next door- you simply wander through the hotel grounds- a day is not enough to see all there is on offer- wonderful cenote snorkel paths, animal enclosures(the tapirs wander about freely all over the park- but do be careful of the naughty monkeys), first time I saw a manatee so close up, museums, history themes,gardens etc etc- and the night show is really fantastic for all the pageantry/ splendour and explaining the history of the area- free flying macaws, horses,wonderful costumes- it is really full on.There are numerous boutiques and art galleries within the hotel's entranceway- looking down from the reception area into the vastness of the foyer felt like being within a cathedral it is so vast.There were 5 pools to choose from and eleven restaurants- the food is truly fabulous- the best we have ever had on an A/I- and we do like good quality and tasty foods-here you were never bored as there is so much choice-my favourite buffet was the delicious fish nights- massive king prawns, lobster,hot fish, cold fish, pickled fish,shellfish,fried fish,sushi...need I go on ? There are also ala cartes to choose from, steak restaurant, Mexican restaurant, Chinese, Indian, diners ... there is really such an abundance of grub to choose from..shame about all the food wastage though...I guess they are used to catering for the American taste. Rooms are very acceptable with real coffee machines provided,lots of storage space and a nice large bathroom- The grounds are extensive- even with Mayan ruins, hammocks by the shoreline, swim up bar,a bar where you sit on wooden swings,there is an evening show in the hotel which despite us not being so fond of "shows" was also surprisingly good,- ie professional,there is not enough room in this review to describe all that the hotel has on offer.And despite all this provision and activity the hotel still manages to lend itself a cosy friendly atmosphere.This was the first time we met so many American tourists,some Canadians too but I'd not met so many Americans elsewhere on our travels apart from the Carribbean- it would seem that the majority of Americans prefer to holiday near to their home. I would recomment this hotel- it is a couple of years since we holidayed there so I hope things have not changed that much- and yes for us it was the best all inclusive ever-you never felt stuck- however we still managed to get out and about, join trips and visit locally and places of interest. There were many guests who never ventured out of the grounds at all. The one and only down side would probably be that there is not much of a shoreline- ie though classed as" on the beach" this consists of built up rocks and there was no possibilty of walking along the beach outside this hotel.

Room Tip: You can upgrade to a more private room further from the centre of the hotel but all that does is mea...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca M
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and mother inlay april 2011 the place was beautiful except I got food poisoning all week and couldn't eat. The beach is small but grounds r clean . Would give it a 5* if the drinks weren't all sugar and if I didn't get food poisoning. Also I heard of several other tourists getting food poisoning the same time I went so I prob wouldn't return. Hope this doesn't gear u away from going I suggest dukorall might help. Sorry for the choppy review I am typing on my iPhone and not used to it yet

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I would give the Occidental Grand Xcaret ten stars if i could! Don't Believe one bad review, they are all so wrong! This was by far the best trip to mexico, with out a doubt! Upon arrival after a long trip from Chicago, we were greeted by the staff who were extremely helpful and willing to help us get our baggage to our room! The staff that helped us with our bags wanted to deliver our bags to our room shortly after we checked in. We were so tired from traveling all day that we just wanted to take the bags ourselves so that we could change quicker rather than waiting for them to arrive, this apparently went against their system for delivering bags. Once we made this known the staff was extremely nice about this and carried our bags all the way to our rooms, while giving us a tour of the hotel grounds, which are massive by the way. On the way and once we got to our room we were so surprised with the quality and cleanliness of the entire resort especially the room. The upkeep on the grounds and pools as well are amazing, something is always being done to keep things in line.
The Food - Every restaurant exceeded our expectations immensely! everything was hot, fresh and delicious! Paco's Tacos is simply amazing for late night tacos, but also doubles as a pizza place on every other night. One of the nights that we were there we visited the bar, right next to Paco's Tacos, if Wilson the bartender is working; You've got it made! Just ask for the Wilson shots he will be happy to make them all night long! He is one of the nicest people we had met on the whole trip. One of then nights when the pizza place was open, I asked if there was any way we could get nachos which wasn't even on the Paco's Tacos menu, Wilson went in the kitchen and made us some of the best nachos I've ever had! The breakfast was also one of our favorite meals and the Grand Xcaret, it was always hot and fresh, with endless options to choose from!

Overall, this was the best trip to mexico, this place is a must! The combination of the cleanliness, the upkeep on the grounds which are beautiful, the staff, the food, the entertainment and the so many other amazing things that go along with this resort make it somewhere I will never forget and keep coming back to!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple