Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$958
US$818
BanyanTree.com
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$1,998
US$397
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$288
US$281
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
US$320
Agoda.com
US$378
US$336
Melia.com
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$509
US$463
Barcelo.com
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,076
US$1,004
Hotels.com
Viceroy Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$816
US$796
US$781
US$585
US$721
Elvoline
14,256 results
All reviewsroyal clubman made beachfun clubpacos tacosel pescadorsonora grillle buffetfirst clubtime shareseafood restaurantunderground riverbeach buffetfun poolmain buffetswim up bareco parkbeach area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The last time I visited the Occidental Xcaret was 4 years ago. It was on my first trip my BF and I were upgraded to the Royal Club, and this trip with my sister we added the Royal Club. The Occidental has many restaurants and pools which are all good, however, they do not hold a candle to the Royal Club. I am going back again this December for a wedding, and will be booking Royal Club again :)

Service at the Royal Club is exceptional. Our servers, Roberto, Diego, Hernan, and Ishmael were and are AMAZING! For example, one night my sister and I arrived just before closing, after dinner we asked about the Bananas Foster table side. Due to the lateness of the night (after 11pm) we passed, and took desert to our room.The next night the servers surprised us with table side Bananas Foster presentation! Just one example of the VIP type of service!

Thank you also to Grisela for her Superior Customer Service during our stay in the Royal Club!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Royal Club for Superior Service
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jzolman
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Me and my partner just returned back from Occidental Grand Xcaret, where we stayed 10 days. Resort is large and beautiful! Staff were very nice,helpful and willing to help: when we arrived we get a room closer to the reception. We just asked if there is an option to get something closer to the pool/beach area, so after one night it was sorted for us. Rooms were spacious and all area is very clean. The resort has got everything you need during your stay: there are many pools, beach side (unfortunately small and man made), archeological site, few shops, gym, restaurants, travel agency. Xcaret natural park is just few minutes walk from the main reception area and definitely worth for visit. We get an offer for free excursion to Cozumel Occidental Hotel for 2 nights, so we were really pleased as we wanted to go there anyway. I believe the reason for it was, that hotel was overbooked during the weekend, but we welcomed this opportunity to be honest. We also received free tickets to Xcaret park, so can't really complaint ;). Food in bufer is quite average, but you have a chance to book a restaurant for evening (I think you can choose from 5 or 6) - we enjoyed the Oriental one the most: meal was just delicious! We never go twice to one place or one country, but this was our second stay in Mexico within 6 months and can't stay this was the last one :). I believe that experience is not just about the country but about people you meet as well.

Room Tip: Building 15 was just perfect - 3.floor with pool view :) - very close to the bufet, pool, beach.
4  Thank Ivana B
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This resort is best suited to families traveling on a budget who have already decided that they're going to the Xcaret park. If you are without children, I'd find somewhere else within the area to stay.

Food quality at the buffet restaurants is middle of the road. You probably won't get sick on the food, but there are no standouts. Our one meal at the reservation-required La Hacienda Mexican restaurant was passable. Staff at all the restaurants, though, were friendly and helpful.

The rooms are kept reasonably clean, but the property is showing its age. There were broken pieces on entry doors that were a cutting hazard, and the entire resort suffered a power outage on a particularly hot, humid, night. Multiple requests for a laundry service bag and rate sheet were not completed--I never got my clothes cleaned.

It would be very convenient if you were headed to Xcaret. Otherwise there are probably many better choices in the area.

Room Tip: If you *do* go, make sure to request a room that doesn't face the main pool--the music plays loudly there every day from about 11 AM until 6 PM.
1  Thank BayouTripster
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear BayouTripster,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please know that we take all feedback very seriously as it helps us to enhance the experience for our guests.

About the food quality and dinner reservations, please consider, we do our best to provide a wide variety and I’ve also shared your feedback with our food and beverage manager.

We are concerned to read about the laundry service, and maintenance issues you experienced. I’m sorry to if we did not meet your expectations.

Again thank you very much for your valuable review and we hope you give us the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Advantages:
Great location
Very clean rooms
Really interesting wildlife
Great food, lots of choice
Excellent service in buffet restaurant - thanks Manuel!
Shuttle bus regular, drivers helpful
Children's club staff super

Disadvantages:
Tired resort, needs some TLC in places
Luis in photo shop extremely rude and unhelpful
Beach is not really a beach but man made lagoon. Needs some repairs
Hotel not equipped fully for heavy rain, v slippy floors and leaks in rooms
Block 20 hosts time share staff constantly trying to sell time share

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Tulip I
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Me and my husband stayed in this resort 10 days in May. I have to say everything was great!!! Weather- just perfect!!!Very hot. Service in this place is amazing!!! Alberto (bartender from swimming pool) is fantastic person. Very helpful, kind and doing the best cocktails ever!!! I will recommend this place to everyone!!!!!

3  Thank Marlena M