“Family trip”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #72 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is not the best I've stayed in nor the worst. Specialty restaurants were good but buffets were just mediocre. Beds were hard as a rock. I booked through Expedia (NEVER AGAIN) and booked their Xcaret all inclusive package that was supposed to include unlimited access daily into the Xcaret park next door. When I got my intinerary from Expedia there was no mention of it so I called them and was ASSURED I did indeed have this plan and would get all my information at the hotel. When I got there I was told I did not have that package. I was sent to customer service who could care less and wouldn't let me use their phone to call expedia and try to straighten this out. So here I am, a single parent who has saved all year long to take my kids on this awesome trip with unlimited access to Xcaret to end up with nothing to do but sit by the pool as their "beach" is actually a small manmade cove this is always packed. I would think the people at the hotel could have seen my plight and offered me SOMETHING to help out with this huge disappointment to my kids and I but they very obviously could care less. Then of course there are the high pressure sales pitches wanting you to buy their timeshares. After treating me the way they did about my vacation screwup I wouldn't have taken their timeshare had they PAID me to. Hard lesson learned and huge disappointment to my kids. NEVER again!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel AND expedia.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank coogie36
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Coogie36,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We really sorry we have been unable to meet your expectations. Please allow us to express our sincerest apologies for the lack of service you experienced during your stay.

Please know that our team is focused on providing the best service to our guests and it saddens us to know that we failed you.

We are diligently working to address your concerns with our hotel staff and management to ensure that these situations do not present themselves again in the future.

Respectfully,

Write a ReviewReviews (13,459)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We visited back in June for 10 nights and our stay was ok.

The room was ok, if you stay in the main building it is convenient to the restaurants and trolley stop! Our room was nice until their was major construction upstairs and heard drilling for 6 hours straight. We tried to get the front desk staff to stop it, even spoke to a manager in charge. Their solution was to send fruit and a bottled beverage. They believe the noise stopped after 10 minutes but myself and guest were sick that day and stayed in the room the entire day and the noise lasted 6 hours! not to mention the cement dust and particles falling on our balcony. Not ok but no one seemed to care to do anything about it.

The beach is non existent but we knew that going in. The adult fresh water pool is where we spent all our days. Quiet, lots of room and great lifeguard and waitresses!! Loved this area and the staff made it much more enjoyable, the life guard was always in the pool with us diving for underwater treasures to show us.

Food was good most of the time. Some of the buffet theme nights were less than thrilling though-pretty disappointing when you are so hungry from swimming all day. Lots of flies in the buffet which I understand is hard to control. Big downfall is that you cannot find anything to eat during the night. No snack bar, no little store nothing and you are not allowed to take anything to your room. While I was sick I called to ask if I could order food and my friend I was with asked the pizza place if she could bring some back for me and I was told no each time. Not ok when you are sick and cannot get hot food in your room.

What really annoyed me is that I contacted the hotel about the above concerns and the answer they provided was a total lie. They are adamant that the construction noise stopped after 10 minutes and that I was told I could have food in the room. Not impressed that I have been lied too. Management does not seem to care that their guests do not enjoy their stay. Next trip I will be looking elsewhere for sure.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Erin L

DearErin L,

We are very sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.

We thank you again for your interest and comments, as it is our wish to excel in every aspect of our
operation and this can only be accomplished by correcting the deficiencies which are brought to our attention through your positive and constructive comments.

Once again and on behalf of our staff we would like to apologize for any inconvenience we could have caused.

Regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just back from this resort and really enjoyed our time. Location very good and we enjoyed Mexico very much. We loved the food in all the restaurants and also found the Buffet to be excellent. We were in block 15, rooms were fine and I think we had a result in not being across at the much more noisy pool (with the waterfall pool bar). Service in the Buffet and the Lobby bars was exceptional and I want to thank the hard working staff there. The only poor service we received, which did drag things down, was the Sports Bar where the staff were often rude and indeed this went on for our entire stay. They took perverse delight in closing early, switching off the pool table lights, again early, and twice when the last ball was being lined up. What kind of childish behaviour was this? It was made worse by the switching out of all lights, making exit difficult and actually dangerous. We did talk to the bar staff and next night we were allowed to play to 11pm and leave with lights on (amazing we should have to argue for this) but next time out it was back to the awful service and darkness and given further disgraceful service to others also in the bar, we formed a group to the manager's office. Ricardo, what happened about our group complaint?
This was sad because it does NOT represent the overall service here and the Mexican people are fabulous, and yes I would be happy to recommend this resort to almost everyone - with just one warning - and this has been echoed by many others on Tripadvisor. This resort must STOP the hard sell on the time share, no really STOP IT!! If you fancy a time share go along, if not, put your foot down - there is no need for a tour - 2-3 hours of your holiday you will never get back and as soon as they start asking for credit card details and horoscopes etc, this is the prelude to a hard sell on the time share. There is no need for this and we could not book a meal or even walk across the foyer some mornings without the heavy sell. Several people we met were quite angry about this aspect of their holiday and it clearly is putting some off going back. One meal booker declared 'you have to accept this kind of selling these days'. Believe me, I don't, and neither does anyone else. Tell you what – promise me no more heavy selling on the time shares and you will let us leave all bars via some kind of light and we will happily book our next trip back.

Room Tip: Where you stay will make a big difference to noise levels - if you want quiet - do tell them!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LordandLadyPalin

Dear LordandLadyPalin ,

Thank you for sending us your detailed review, we already shared your remarks with our management. We truly appreciate your constructive comments, these are very important for us to improve in our quality service.

We are glad to hear you spent also a good tiem here with us.
Once more thank you for your feedback. We do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and hope you will give us another chance to host you.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Rooms are well appointment (we stayed in the standard room) and kept very clean. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a blast and stayed during the world cup so the place was lively. The pools are all very nice, the largest pool has a swim up bar (Miguel makes the best drinks). Two others pools are also very nice, one has a great "swing" bar but the drinks there were not as good as the swim up bar. The beach area and adult only "natural" pools are very lovely and the water stays cooler. Try to take the "paths" through the monkey area it's a blast, if you go in the early morning hours you can see them hanging out in the trees. Make sure you book your dinner reservations the minute you arrive so you aren't stuck doing just buffets. Not saying the buffet isn't good, but the full service restaurants are better.

Room Tip: Ask for building 22 it's nice and centrally located.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lovetran
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Lovetran,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us.
We are always pleased to hear about our guest’s experiences at our property.

We will share them with all our departments, so we can continue offering a high quality service ,

Regards from México,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I arrived home yesterday and I've just booked to go back next year :0)
The weather was great and very hot
I was in building 21 so was lucky enough to have a pool right outside my building

Can't wait for next year :0)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Sparkle108242
Itze P, REputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Sparkle108242,

We were delighted to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that you were pleased with our location. We thank you for posting your comments relating to your most recent stay at the hotel.

Please feel free to contact me before your next stay! (socialmedia@gmail.com)

See you next year!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

If you plan to be lazy, have average food and drinks and bake underneath the sun, then this spot will be great for you.

If you plan to do all the above and more like water activities, excursions, good coffee and excellent food, it's best to look elsewhere. Also, the Xcaret park that is next to the resort sucks big time and a waste of money. The only exception is if you have kids under 11 and or are into musicals.

Room Tip: Skip the Xcaret park next door; it's a waste of money, instead do other excursions, like Tulum o...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Panos P

Dear Panos P,

Thank you for the time you took to send us your review. We shared your review with our management; our guest’s feedback helps us to focus our attention in the areas where we need improvement and to enhance our guest’s experience.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hotel is very beautiful, and I found the food to be phenomenal. We travelled a group of 7 friends in three rooms. We enjoyed the pools, hot tubs and restaurants. There was something to please every palette.
The grounds were lush with greenery. Beautiful birds, lizards iguanas, ant eaters and deers. It was an experience.
Check in was very disappointing, I was meeting my party a day later, and I was given the key to the wrong room. No one offered to help me with my luggage. We booked through cheapcaribbean.com, and were informed by them we would have room credits of 900 dollars to share to use at the spa or other amenities at the hotel. We were given a coupon book with nothing useful to us. Not sure if that would be cheapcaribbean or the hotel to blame. Either way it was a big miscommunication.
The drinks were extremely watered down, they only left us bloated. The staff at the buffet atop the swim up bar near building 19 could really use some customer service training. They were not polite at all.

There is nowhere to have a light snack near the pool or beach. You must go into each buffet or restaurant fully clothed and not wet, or you will not be served. I understand for safety reasons, we must be dressed and dry, but this is vacation, and I usually like to have a light snack while I am lounging by the pool. Well, that is not allowed here. You are not allowed to take any food out of any buffet or bring it back to your room, no room service either.
The bartenders by the swim up bar are extremely understaffed in that area, and they get annoyed if you ask for too many drinks at one time. I understand why they are upset, but I really wish it would not have been directed at me.

The rooms were kept very clean, maid service was thorough each day, and the beds and pillows were comfortable to me.

I personally would never stay here again, and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank NewYorkElaina

Dear NewYorkElaina,

Thank you for the time you took to send us your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not feel your experience met your expectations on your recent stay at Occidental Grand Xcaret. We really sorry to read about the lack of service you encountered since your arrival; we share your experience with our management to reinforce our welcome measures.

Should you choose to return, we look forward to the opportunity of making your next stay much better than the last.

Regards,