“The perfect Mexican all inclusive holiday...”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #73 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 24 July 2014

A fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday, the Occidental Grand Xcaret, formerly known as the Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret, has a beautiful man-made cove beach; it is also adjacent to Xcaret Park-Mexico's celebrated natural theme park. With accommodations provided in a Virgin Holidays' dedicated room block, set in a prime location in the resort close to the beach. For the ultimate holiday experience, why not add the Unlimited Xcaret Xperience to your booking. Not only will you gain unlimited access to the Xcaret Park throughout your stay, you will also receive resort credit to use in the parks and at your hotel. Couples too will love the resort's relaxed atmosphere and incredible range of amenities, including 11 restaurants (1 exclusively for Royal Service guests) and 10 bars, catering to every taste and occasion. There are also 5 swimming pools to choose from, tennis courts and organised activities. At night, the fun continues with live music, shows and disco dancing!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank cljfrancis
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear LairdChristopher,

We want thank you for your kind words, we are more than pleased to read that your stay with us has been wonderful. In did the Unlimited Xcaret Xperience package has been very successful for its benefits.

We also appreciate your feedback about our excellent facilities and services we offer to all our customers, which has made a perfect description.

Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (13,672)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is my third time at Xcaret. I strongly recommend going for the Unlimited Xcaret package because the Eco Park next door needs to be visited time and again. There is SO MUCH in that park - butterfly sanctuary, bird sanctuary, swimming through caves, really good snorkeling (in the early morning), yes, a small beach, a fun cultural night-time show, the tower you go up to see all around and a lot more. You can't do that in a day, and there are always new things to discover. No need to buy excursions, just go to the park part of each day.

The food is great, the rooms were very nice, the staff were nice. The wine is vile. Tastes like gasoline. The first time I came there, they had the vile wine. Next time they improved. Now they have slid back again. It does not match the quality of the rest of the resort. Mind you, the staff in the lobby bar make a perfect dry gin martini, which is a rare talent indeed! The restaurants were just great, particularly the Oriental. They make sushi quite well and they have real sake.

I am highly impressed with the steps Xcaret Occidental has made to protect the ecology of the resort. The benefit is seeing deer with speckled twin babies and agoutis and butterflies and beautiful birds. I believe the plants are watered with 'grey' recycled water. I believe there may be a bit of chemical used to control mosquitoes but nothing particularly noticeable (except fewer mosquitoes).

There has been a change in policy which I do agree with but I wish they had put up signs about. OK, there are all kinds of signs saying don't feed the animals (and thus there are fewer begging lemurs). That's fine. However, they also have put in a policy of not allowing guests to carry food out of the buffet, etc. No signs up for that. So, as I had done on prior visits and do at other resorts, I happily carried some extra sushi from the buffet to snack on. I was stopped going down the walkway in front of everyone and told I couldn't do that and I had to hand the staff member the plates before he would allow me and my kids to proceed. It was very embarrassing and made me feel like a thief. He was courteous and all that, but I sure would have liked to know it was against the rules BEFORE so I could have refrained from carrying the food out and being publicly embarrassed. So heads up about that rule change. It has decreased all kinds of food being left around to feed animals and plug up the little lagoon, and that's good.

I sure wish they would LAY OFF on that stupid First Club nonsense. They don't need a First Club to attract return guests. Indeed, I would suggest it is driving people away. More resources and space in the regular resort are being taken away and given to the "first club" people. For example, two of the general pools now have big areas shut off for the first clubbers. They have their own pool. And the first club folks tend to be rather snobby to other guests. I strongly suggest that Xcaret needs to focus more on the resort itself with the fine measures they are taking and stop taking away from their biggest resource - regular return clientele. But that's just my opinion. We did get approached a number of times for First Club but no hard sell. I think they should move their lending library out of there and put it in the main lobby.

All in all, a fine experience. I highly, highly recommend this for families with kids because of the fabulous park and all the fun stuff you can do. Or adults (like me) who love all the natural stuff there. It's a good place.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want at the front desk and they will do their best to comply.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Diane499265

Dear Diane499265,

We’re really pleased that you choosing Occidental Grand Xcaret as a holiday destination thank you for your preference and loyalty.

We pride ourselves on our consistent service efforts. Our convenient location and friendly staff are what makes our hotel stand out among the rest. We regret if you encountered any inconvenience during your recent stay as a return visitor, but we hope this did not diminish your overall experience. Rest assured your experience will be addressed with our management to ensure that our guests will be guaranteed a memorable stay, for your next visit please feel free to contact us at socialmedia@mx.occidentalhotels.com

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I just returned yesterday from this resort, and we were sad to leave! I will not say anything bad about this resort. I will just give some tips. First, be ready to walk unless you want to wait at least 15 minutes for a trolley. The walking didn't bother us, and we really enjoyed all of our beautiful surroundings! Second, make sure you make all of your dinner reservations as soon as you get there. We didn't, and we were only able to make 2(and we missed one of them). Third, there will be people bugging you about a timeshare. Just tell them no and walk away. All of the people there were great and we will DEFINATELY return next year! We stayed in building 22, and it was perfect!

Room Tip: Stay near the quieter pool...building 22 was great!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy S

Dear Tracy S,

Greetings from Mexico! Thank you so much for sharing your vacation experience at Occidental Grand Xcaret, It was a pleasure to host you.

We are pleased to hear you adored your visit and that we were a relaxing escape. We hope you will have further opportunities to visit in the near future as we would look forward to welcoming you back at your home away from home.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Great stay, awesome beaches! Delicious frozen drinks at bars near the pool. Will return and will check out the park next time. It looked great but we were too into relaxing! Also, make sure you try all the restaurants, quality varies at each.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary D

Dear Mary D,

Thank you so much for posting a review of your recent stay at Occidental Grand Xcaret. We value guests' opinions, as it helps us to improve constantly our results. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay here and the service from our staff.

Regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel is right next to Xcaret Eco Park. There are two direct access entrances to the park from the hotel. If you are planning on visiting the park this is the best place to stay. Since it is an all-inclusive property, you are able to visit the park and come back to the hotel for your meals. This will save you some $$$ since meals and drinks at the park are expensive. The hotel is enormous with very nice rooms and facilities. All the restaurants we went to offered very good meals. Make sure to purchase the Xcaret Park option that will give you unlimited access to the park. We spent one week there and, believe me, we could not see all the park attractions. The hotel is a 15 to 20 minute cab ride to Playa del Carmen (USD$11.00 per cab) where you can enjoy its beautiful beaches, restaurants and shopping in 5ta Avenida.

Room Tip: Try to choose rooms close to the main lobby area and at higher floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MiguelLVargas

Dear MiguelLVargas,

Thank you for send us your review. We are so glad that you loved your experience at Occidental Grand Xcaret and we appreciate you mentioning the Unlimited Xcaret Xperience benefits,
We are sure that you have lot of motives to come back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I are 31 and were looking for a fun, Mexican getaway. This is exactly what we got. The resort itself is beautiful, clean, and very well maintained. My only complaint about the room was that the mattress was as hard as a rock. I was tempted to sleep on the couch. As far as the food goes, you will be disappointed if you are looking for gourmet cuisine. We enjoyed every meal we ate, but nothing was spectacular. The Steakhouse in particular left a lot to be desired. The included drinks, however, were fantastic. I expected them to be weak and watered down, but they were not at all.

Both the pools and swimming lagoon were great. We enjoyed both.

The Xcaret Park was a great way to spend on of the days while we were there. It's definitely "touristy" but we didn't mind. Our favorite part was the underground river. I have two complaints about our experiences. 1. We paid for our admission at the hotel service desk. When we entered into the park we were given the wrong wristbands. This was a huge hassle and took a lot of time out of our day. 2. There is a lack of communication on how some processes at the park work. Not a huge deal, but annoying. Beware that you park admission gets you very little once inside. Any activities are extra.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and found it exactly what we were looking for. I would recommend this resort to a friend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dkell79

Dear Dkell79,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Royal Hideaway. We appreciate your comments both positive and negative about your experience as it helps us to improve our resort for future and returning guests.

We will bring your comment to the management so it can be addressed and we assure you the necessary measures will be taken.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is not the best I've stayed in nor the worst. Specialty restaurants were good but buffets were just mediocre. Beds were hard as a rock. I booked through Expedia (NEVER AGAIN) and booked their Xcaret all inclusive package that was supposed to include unlimited access daily into the Xcaret park next door. When I got my intinerary from Expedia there was no mention of it so I called them and was ASSURED I did indeed have this plan and would get all my information at the hotel. When I got there I was told I did not have that package. I was sent to customer service who could care less and wouldn't let me use their phone to call expedia and try to straighten this out. So here I am, a single parent who has saved all year long to take my kids on this awesome trip with unlimited access to Xcaret to end up with nothing to do but sit by the pool as their "beach" is actually a small manmade cove this is always packed. I would think the people at the hotel could have seen my plight and offered me SOMETHING to help out with this huge disappointment to my kids and I but they very obviously could care less. Then of course there are the high pressure sales pitches wanting you to buy their timeshares. After treating me the way they did about my vacation screwup I wouldn't have taken their timeshare had they PAID me to. Hard lesson learned and huge disappointment to my kids. NEVER again!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel AND expedia.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank coogie36

Dear Coogie36,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We really sorry we have been unable to meet your expectations. Please allow us to express our sincerest apologies for the lack of service you experienced during your stay.

Please know that our team is focused on providing the best service to our guests and it saddens us to know that we failed you.

We are diligently working to address your concerns with our hotel staff and management to ensure that these situations do not present themselves again in the future.

Respectfully,