We stayed at the Occidental Grand Xcaret for 9 nights in July for our honeymoon and loved it! We had a junior suite that was very spacious, clean and the air conditioning was excellent and most welcome as it was extremely hot weather whilst we were there! Everything was in perfect working order. The bed was comfortable and very big. In our room on arrival was a bottle of tequila, sparkling wine and a lovely bowl of fruit. We were in the Virgin Holidays block 22 and had a ground floor room, in hindsight I think a higher floor would have had better views. Also a small snake had sneaked in, this was removed swiftly by a member of staff!
The resort is big and spread out but did not seem overly busy even though it was full to capacity. The ground are beautiful with many pools and bars to choose, we used them all depending on what mood we were in but loved the pool with the swim up waterfall bar best.
The beach is gorgeous with many tropical fish swimming around you, we took a snorkel but you could see them clearly just standing in the shallow waters without snorkelling. But the beach is very small and as everyone has mentioned.. so this may not be suitable for everyone.
The food was okay, we do not normally do all inclusive holidays so I think we are used to better quality but we always found something to eat even if we did not know exactly what it was! I think the food is aimed at the USA market. The speciality restaurants were better than the buffet but book the speciality restaurants as soon as you arrive as we did not get a choice of times or restaurants.
The staff are exceptional everywhere. Always smiling and making you feel welcome. Service in all the bars, restaurants and pools was excellent.
We took a taxi into Playa Del Carmen one day, the beach there was amazing, lots of shops and bars but you do get harassed by various sales people a lot walking through the town this was really tedious!
Xcaret Eco Park next to the hotel was great. We had unlimited passes and must have visited it at least 3 times and still did not get to see it all. The show at the park in the evening was packed with people and very hot but absolutely amazing and worth the discomfort!
The only downside is the expensive Wifi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Occidental at Xcaret Destination in Riviera Maya is a perfect combination in a natural setting with preserved cultural landmarks and an all-inclusive resort with a unique array of rooms, services, and state-of-the-art facilities. Choosing among the many possible activities is the most complicated part of a stay at this resort in Playa del Carmen. Swimming with dolphins, attending a Mayan Indian ceremony, enjoying all types of water sports at the beach club or sailing down the beautiful rivers and canals that surround the hotel are just a few highlights. The Xcaret eco-archeological park offers one of the most unique and exciting park, especially for families, by guaranteeing over 40 cultural attractions and expositions on art and traditions in Mexico. However, as people normally say at the hotel: "Do it all...or simply do nothing." Choose from a list of diverse activities such as strolling through the lush gardens at the resort, enjoying the sun while lying on a hammock, or taking a refreshing swim in one of the resort's five pools or private beach. Anti-stress remedies at the resort are endless. Regardless of how you plan each day at the resort, the hotel's choice of culinary selections is designed to satisfy the demands of every kind of guest. With 10 bars, including the one at the club, and 11 restaurants, guests have the freedom to choose a snack, an informal meal, a gourmet feast or a candlelight dinner, among many other options. The key to this resort is balancing between modern facilities and the marvelous Mexican rainforest that is filled with stunning local wildlife. Entertainment, relaxation and nature coexist at the Occidental at Xcaret Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Barcelo, Expedia, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, Priceline, TravelUp, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Occidental at Xcaret Destination reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret