“Good Hotel and holiday :)”

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Ranked #75 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Good Hotel and holiday :)”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed for 12 days in August 2014. First time to Mexico and really enjoyed our stay as a family group.
Pros:
Very clean! Constantly being maintained
Friendly staff
English speaking
Choice of dining
Busy and quiet areas to suit what you fancy
Wildlife
Spa is lovely!

Cons:
Hotel is too big!
We stayed at Virgin Club Room in block 22 which gave us a VIP area at the pool but this was continually being used by other guests. Needs better signage.
Need more shuttles.
WIFI is a rip off. Even wanted to charge 6USD to check in online for flight home!

Loved Mexico overall!

• Stayed August 2014
9 Thank nickanick
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Greetings from México!,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that the greatest asset of the hotel is the staff.

Concerning your cons we will share them with our general manager so we can improve in our high quality service,

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,739)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Greater Manchester
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This will be our 3rd visit to this hotel first in 2005 then 2008 and we are staying in the Royal part so it will be wonderful. Just can't wait till the 12 November and we are there for 2 weeks. The hotel is so nice and the staff so friendly the last time we were there. You just think you have gone to heaven because everyone just makes you feel so special. The food and drinks were great and we made a lot of friend. So all I can say is roll on the 12 November and looking forward to see what the Royal part is like

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Higginbotham
Greetings from México!,

Thank you so much for you kindly comments,
We are glad to hear that your first time here in Occidental Grand Xcaret you enjoyed and had fun ,
We are looking forwards to see you again,
we think you will like the Royal club , if you need something we will assist you,

Have a lovely day

Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I and my husband and our 11 year old son stayed 08/19 to 08/24. We chose this resort because it's an eco resort. Last year we stayed at Sandos eco resort so my review will be based on our experience as a eco resort. And comparison of the two.
Food- Sandos had better buffet more variety but Xcaret had better Ala Carte restaurants. We ate at Los Olivos, El Pescador, and the Oriental. The best was Pescador except we left quickly because of mosquitoes. Which BTW was the first time being bitten and occurred on are last night there. We joked about not getting ate up the whole time there on the way to dinner. Guess the joke was on us lol. The next best was Los Olivos excellent food and service. The Oriental was just OK but better then the buffet.
Welcome- Xcaret gave us a bottle of Tequila and a bowl of fruit on our first day AND next to last day. We received nothing from Sandos.
Snack bar- Sandos snack bar was way better more variety of food and stayed open late. However, you had to guard your food because of the coati, but we are the type of people that don't let that bother us. We were able to get some cute, up close pics. Xcaret closed at 6pm. However we were told that we could get tacos and "Italian " till 2 am with no reservations at check in. They should call it tacos and pizza because that is what it is other then pizza I think you can get calzones but hardly "italian" as I thought it would be. When I come to Mexico which is once a year, I want to immerse myself in the culture and the food. Not eat pizza.
Animals -we did not go to Xcaret park next door as we saw all kinds of animals on property, monkeys, deer, coati, flamingos, birds, bats, iguanas and spiders to name a few. Sandos also had animals but we felt like we saw more of them, more times at Xcaret.
Entertainment- Sandos has better night entertainment.
Grounds - both were well kept and beautiful Xcaret had more on site ruins with easier access but Sandos had on site cenotes to swim in. So I guess I would say neither wins over the other in this area because they both has something to offer that the other didnt.
Beach -real beach with waves at Sandos but it was rocky almost to rocky to enjoy. Xcaret has a man made inlet and it was beautiful. Spent most of our days there. I did not think it was overcrowded on any of the days we were there. Plus the water was refreshing and very cool and plenty of fish. Bring your own snorkel because they only rent for an hour.
Pools- Sandos the pool water was clean, clear and refreshing I should mention we went last year the second week of June. Xcaret pools were hot like sauna water which is why we chose the beach. And there was always leaves and other debris floating around. Don't get me wrong they always had people in the pool early morning cleaning there was just a lot trees that overhang the pool. We chose the quiet pool. When we did swim because the main pool I noticed noone ever left the coveted swim up bar stool once they were on it so I guess they just sit and drink and pee all day. The quiet pool was separated from the main pool by a bridge that appeared not to share water with the main pool so off to the quiet pool we went. ( it gave me peace of mind) but I'm not stupid I'm sure people peed in that pool too lol.
Rooms- Xcaret had the better rooms in my opinion. We stayed in building 20 in 20209. A junior suite. My only issues with the room was there was only one sponge for the shower we needed 3. We had to call to get more. We had to call to have our mini bar stocked because it wasn't stocked one day, that was Friday. And they only provided 2 beers, 3 soft drinks, and 4 bottles of water. The amount of water was OK but I would have preferred a few more soft drinks and at bare min. 4 beers when they did stock it.
Offsite tour- we went to Xplor this year, last year at Sandos we just stayed there because it seemed we could do everything right on the resort. Snorkeling both at the beach and cenote, kayaking, visit ruins take a hike, ride bicycles, great night shows.
Time share- we were asked only once. Very nicely and we politely declined. We were never asked again about the timeshare nor where we bothered in further. This was our experience at both resorts. We also never felt that we were treated any differently because we declined the presentation. At Xcaret the man who asked us to attend was from Belize and was very nice. I wish I remembered his name but I will say this I'm in sales so I did listen to his pitch he was very good and had I been interested in buying that sort of thing I would have signed on with him.
I would visit either resort again. But I think we really enjoyed Xcaret overall. We intend to visit the area again next year, as we go every year.
Suggestions for Xcaret- better variety for your buffet food, more international and local fare. Better nighttime entertainment, cooler pools, snack bar that stays open till at least midnight with more variety of food. We prefer to stay at eco-resorts. So I guess we have a decision to make about next year's trip.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank cmg110
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Greetings from México!,

Thank you for sending us your review, we already shared your experience with our management. We really appreciate your constructive comments, these are very important for us to improve in our quality service.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Occidental Grand Xcaret,

We hope to see you soon ,

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Buffet was not very good. Sweating the entire time we were there trying to eat. Made for a miserable meal.
In four days we were only able to book a restaurant reservation once. It was excellent. Bars were dirty and smelled bad. Staff needed training. Fan in room was broken and never repaired.
Concierge was awful. Went to another building and the Concierge there was great.
We won't be back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
5 Thank Joseph H
Dear Sir,

Please accept our apologies for the lack of service that you experienced. What you described does not reflect the high standards of service we set for the hotel.
Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations and it’s disappointing to read that we failed this time.
I have shared your comments about the waiter service at the bars with the Food and Beverages Director, who is speaking with his staff on how best to serve guests and looking into ways to improve.

We follow strict standards to ensure rooms are properly inspected and cleaned prior to the arrival of our guests. I sincerely apologize for the lack of service provided.
I’ve addressed it with our maintenance team who immediately performed a full inspection of the rooms

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a true Occidental experience.

Respectfully,
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I was There For 7 Wonderful Days... Everyone speaks english, very friendly very organized very professional from the waiter to the consierge to the maids, the bus drivers the staff the workers i have no complaints... i recommend everyone to go families with children... it is amazing... everyone is so helpful. everything is very clean. the beach is beautiful the Xcaret park next door was amazing the pools were a bit warm but the bars bartenders everyone was just great... cant wait to go again... they also have stops & golf cart picks you up & take you around the resort... make sure to say hello to my waiter Diego Chavez at the Los Olivos Italian Restaurant & all the other waiters were amazing :)

Room Tip: we got two queen size beds i would go to section 22 it ws pretty quiet near the beach
6 Thank Ivonne V M
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Greetings from México!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us ,
It´s a pleasure to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that you enjoyed it ,
We are always pleased to hear about our guest’s experiences at our property. It is so nice to read such lovely feedback and is very motivating to all the team who do work incredibly hard to make our guests stay memorable.

Regards from México!
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We recently came back from our vacation at occidental grand xcaret and we loved it. I celebrated my birthday at "Pescado" restaurant where victor took great care of us. He really made the best of our stay at this beautiful hotel and I must say the food was amazing. The hotel has lots of fauna and is well preserved. You can see all kinds of animals while in the different areas and the beach and different pools are pretty cool. The buffet food was ok but you have the choice of reserving in one of the several other restaurants available. In general attention from staff was good and rooms condition was good. I would really recommend staying at this hotel! On the tiger hand all the tours offered are quite expensive and you will have several people pushing to sell you anything but it is up to you if you want to buy it or not. I recommend going to coco bongo because it is all you can drink plus transportation included! The nearby parks are expensive but worth of visiting at least once in a lifetime

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Andrealandaeta
Greetings from México,

We are always pleased to hear about our guest’s experiences at our property.

We hope to see you soon,

usa
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just got back from vacation and overall happy with our stay. My nine year old daughter loved the hotel, buffet and pool. She couldn't have been happier. Below are the good and bad things.

The Good
1. Beautiful grounds. Very well kept.
2. Friendly staff
3. The "quiet pool" was beautiful. Possibly the warmest water I have ever been in. Warmer than bath water. The staff will tell you the pool shuts down at 7pm, but there were guests in the pool as late as 10pm and the staff never asked anyone to leave.
4. My daughter loved being able to order a non alcoholic pina colada at anytime.
5. The hotel has top shelf liquor.
6. The food was hit and miss as well. Deserts were usually very good. The a la carte steakhouse made a really good medium rare rib eye. I was quite impressed. The other steaks weren't as successful.
7. Tons of iguanas all over the hotel and lots of bats.

The Bad
1. The Wi-Fi was absolutely horrible. I don't know if others had the same problem, but every couple of minutes we would have to reconnect and enter our password. Halfway through the trip we stopped using it. I told the staff about the problem and they told me they wouldn't refund our money (I didn't ask for a refund), and that we would need to contact the company, Hot Spots International, to figure out the problem.
2. Alcohol drinks were very hit and miss. There were times the cocktails were undrinkable.
3. The hotel staff were always trying to sell you a massage or an excursion. They would leave you alone with a simple "no thank you". I just starting avoiding them. The most annoying was the dive shop on site. They didn't always take no for an answer.
4. The beach is very, very small and can get very crowded. We spent most of our time at the quiet pool. There is a party pool for people looking for that kind of thing.

Room Tip: We were in the 14000 block of rooms and were really happy with its placement. We were closet to the...
4 Thank trixiebelle23
Greetings from México!,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed and you had fun here in Occidental Grand Xcaret,
Concerning your comments , please note internet service is provided for an external company, and unfortunately we cannot control the costs neither the signal , but we will talk with them about it

About the drinks we shared your feedback with our Food and Beverage Manager .We will take measures to improve our guests’ satisfaction.

We apologize for the issues you had with all the different sellers, they are for provide information , we will take it with our general manager to avoid this

Also know we are saddened to know that our man-made beach was not to your liking. We are located on open sea, which is very dangerous for swimming. We created the beach to provide a safe location for guests to swim and observe the aquatic life native to the area.

Respectfully,
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,296 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,104 reviews

Been to Occidental at Xcaret Destination? Share your experiences!