We spent four nights, from 2/10 to 2/14. Make no mistake; this is a very large hotel that caters to groups and conventions. However, the rooms were clean, the staff was generally friendly (kudos to Jorgé on the concierge desk), and the amenities were good.
The beach is a small inlet, man-made, but adequate for us. We never had a problem finding a couple of adjacent sunbeds, and the size was great for monitoring the activities of three active boys.
Xcaret was excellent. We spent a day and a half in the park. One day is included with your reservation, and when you book additional activities, you can get into the park two hours in advance and stay two hours after your activity. My wife and kids swam with the dolphins, pricey (USD$115 per person) but memorable. I snorkeled, cheap (USD$29) but forgettable. The restaurants in the park are expensive, but the quality of food was good (and better than the hotel).
We booked our package through FunJet - there are representatives on site, but I found them more of a hassle to deal with as opposed to my advocate through the hotel (hence my appreciation for the hotel's concierge desk). Meals were mostly buffets, although with our four night stay, we could book a la carte restaurants twice. Both times, the meals were mediocre.
The grounds and pools were nice. I found the pools too cold to swim in, but the kids could tolerate them. Every pool has a bar or two. Drinks were fine, and we had no problem with their strength.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Occidental at Xcaret Destination in Riviera Maya is a perfect combination in a natural setting with preserved cultural landmarks and an all-inclusive resort with a unique array of rooms, services, and state-of-the-art facilities. Choosing among the many possible activities is the most complicated part of a stay at this resort in Playa del Carmen. Swimming with dolphins, attending a Mayan Indian ceremony, enjoying all types of water sports at the beach club or sailing down the beautiful rivers and canals that surround the hotel are just a few highlights. The Xcaret eco-archeological park offers one of the most unique and exciting park, especially for families, by guaranteeing over 40 cultural attractions and expositions on art and traditions in Mexico. However, as people normally say at the hotel: "Do it all...or simply do nothing." Choose from a list of diverse activities such as strolling through the lush gardens at the resort, enjoying the sun while lying on a hammock, or taking a refreshing swim in one of the resort's five pools or private beach. Anti-stress remedies at the resort are endless. Regardless of how you plan each day at the resort, the hotel's choice of culinary selections is designed to satisfy the demands of every kind of guest. With 10 bars, including the one at the club, and 11 restaurants, guests have the freedom to choose a snack, an informal meal, a gourmet feast or a candlelight dinner, among many other options. The key to this resort is balancing between modern facilities and the marvelous Mexican rainforest that is filled with stunning local wildlife. Entertainment, relaxation and nature coexist at the Occidental at Xcaret Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Holiday Gems, Prestigia, Southall Travel, Travelbag, Barcelo, Booking.com and TravelUp so you can book your Occidental at Xcaret Destination reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret